Longhorn Network

TXs

On 8/26/2022 at 10:28 PM, LTtxfan said:

Yup...

Screenshot_20220819-215411_kindlephoto-10042708.png

giphy.gif

Orange $35/mo + Sports Extra $11 = $46

They may give you half off 1st month, so maybe $23 ??  (Be sure to read fine print to see restrictions.)

Start it on Friday before ULM game, and cancel after UTSA game and hopefully costs yah only 1 month charge.

Hook 'em 🤘

Half off of the $35 but not the $11. $30 and change for the month. 

Could you elaborate on this? You get LHN for $10/month here? Is it just like any other streaming service, or do we have to be smarter than the average bear to figure it out?

There is an app IPTV Smarters that works on your phone, smart tv or Apple TV. It is $10/month and you get any channel all over the world. You can watch any NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. They have a category with all PPV channels ESPN+ channels etc and Longhorn Network is on there. We watch all UFC usually with no issues. I was skeptical when someone told me about it but it’s been legit and they have pretty prompt customer service.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

But does the studio stay open? I mean, will it become a de facto SEC West Studios in Austin?

The SEC studios are in Charlotte so it could make sense to have a east and west studio… or not. Idk

I just hope it means all the home baseball games remain on TV.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, mrhorn said:

There is an app IPTV Smarters that works on your phone, smart tv or Apple TV. It is $10/month and you get any channel all over the world. You can watch any NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. They have a category with all PPV channels ESPN+ channels etc and Longhorn Network is on there. We watch all UFC usually with no issues. I was skeptical when someone told me about it but it’s been legit and they have pretty prompt customer service.

I assume that means live streaming only, right? Is it pausable, etc?

HELP!! The Mr canceled Suddenlink,no more Longhorn  Network!!!!  We have YouTube TV and other streaming services 

Time to do a little work.

My parents have the olds and won’t cut the cord. So I went to their house, got the direct tv bill and logged in. Then, download the ESPN app. Watch game.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I hope you are right but I have my doubts about this as well as weekday basketball games against non-conference opponents.

Yeah competing with 15 other schools, instead of zero, for those broadcasting slots, is likely going to affect how much live content we get to see.

I know the BTN has extra overflow channels, does anyone know if SECN does as well?  If so then we'll have better chances due to that increased capacity.  And then I suppose further Tier3 properties could find their way to ESPN+.

11 hours ago, mrhorn said:

I'm not sure "legit" is the right description here. They can be shut down at anytime by the law so it's recommended to use a VPN to access. Depending on how robust their servers are, the quality can get choppy during events with big audiences. For instance, my service didn't handle the final four too well but the college football games last week were great b

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah competing with 15 other schools, instead of zero, for those broadcasting slots, is likely going to affect how much live content we get to see.

I know the BTN has extra overflow channels, does anyone know if SECN does as well?  If so then we'll have better chances due to that increased capacity.  And then I suppose further Tier3 properties could find their way to ESPN+.

I don't think SEC Network has 'overflow' channels - but they do have SEC+ which is the SEC branded version of ESPN's digital streaming ESPN+.  Assuming LHN is converted into an SEC West channel, Texas would be competing with the 7 other schools in the west for 'cable' airtime.  But I assume most relevant sports would be streaming on SEC+.

• Hook 'Em 1

I looked at adding ESPN+ to my youtube tv lineup, on accounta because I was seeing shitloads of ads for ESPN+, all of which (iirc) included mention of LHN. For $10 a month, I figgered it was a no-brainer. Went to "manage" the youtube tv account, looked at the ESPN+ channels... and didn't see LHN. Chat agent said LHN was "part of your cable, and ESPN+ will see it and let you use it". I told him my "cable" is youtube tv, dumb fuck. Where is LHN?  He didn't know, he works for ESPN+, not for youtube. I fuckin' sweater gawd, those Elon Tesla satellites must be beaming down stupid rays on population centers, including wherever ESPN Help Chatters dwell.

EDIT: Still haven't found a sure-fire way to get LHN other than Sling and various "just like cable for only 69.95 per month" outfits. Sling's probably the cheapest of the lot for me, so far. I am not well-disposed toward anything ESPN these days. Asteroid strike, hypersonic fusion bomb, what have you.

Edited by Tex Long

I'm not sure "legit" is the right description here. They can be shut down at anytime by the law so it's recommended to use a VPN to access. Depending on how robust their servers are, the quality can get choppy during events with big audiences. For instance, my service didn't handle the final four too well but the college football games last week were great b

Correct. I meant legit as in it worked very well without the flaws that other “off brand” streaming services have had. A VPN will help for sure, but if someone is just looking to stream a couple of games on LHN this is a good option.
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I looked at adding ESPN+ to my youtube tv lineup, on accounta because I was seeing shitloads of ads for ESPN+, all of which (iirc) included mention of LHN. For $10 a month, I figgered it was a no-brainer. Went to "manage" the youtube tv account, looked at the ESPN+ channels... and didn't see LHN. Chat agent said LHN was "part of your cable, and ESPN+ will see it and let you use it". I told him my "cable" is youtube tv, dumb fuck. Where is LHN?  He didn't know, he works for ESPN+, not for youtube. I fuckin' sweater gawd, those Elon Tesla satellites must be beaming down stuoid rays on population centers, including wherever ESPN Help Chatters dwell.

EDIT: Still haven't found a sure-fire way to get LHN other than Sling and various "just like cable for only 69.95 per month" outfits. Sling's probably the cheapest of the lot for me, so far. I am not well-disposed toward anything ESPN these days. Asteroid strike, hypersonic fusion bomb, what have you.

LHN has never been a part of ESPN+ regardless of what service it's tied to. If you want to watch LHN through the watchESPN app it has to be tied to a cable service or something similar that offers LHN as a part of their package already, which YoutubeTV does not. 

Edited by TankedBevo
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, mrhorn said:

Correct. I meant legit as in it worked very well without the flaws that other “off brand” streaming services have had. A VPN will help for sure, but if someone is just looking to stream a couple of games on LHN this is a good option.

Which Provider you using? Looks like Smarters is just the app. Been a few years since I dabbled in IPTV.

On 8/19/2022 at 10:31 AM, TexasGary said:

DirecTV Stream has LHN, AT&T Sports for Astros, and Bally Sports for Rangers.

Bump. Is it still true that DirectTV Stream carries LHN? 

Some old articles and forum discussions mention LHN is available as a region-specific (Texas) channel on DirectTV Stream. However, when I just checked the regional channels for my zip code directly on the DirectTV Stream website, LHN does not show up on the list (AT&T Sports and Bally do). So, I’m thinking DirectTV might have dropped LHN at some point recently.

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

I looked at adding ESPN+ to my youtube tv lineup, on accounta because I was seeing shitloads of ads for ESPN+, all of which (iirc) included mention of LHN. For $10 a month, I figgered it was a no-brainer. Went to "manage" the youtube tv account, looked at the ESPN+ channels... and didn't see LHN. Chat agent said LHN was "part of your cable, and ESPN+ will see it and let you use it". I told him my "cable" is youtube tv, dumb fuck. Where is LHN?  He didn't know, he works for ESPN+, not for youtube. I fuckin' sweater gawd, those Elon Tesla satellites must be beaming down stupid rays on population centers, including wherever ESPN Help Chatters dwell.

2 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

LHN has never been a part of ESPN+ regardless of what service it's tied to. If you want to watch LHN through the watchESPN app it has to be tied to a cable service or something similar that offers LHN as a part of their package already, which YoutubeTV does not. 

Yep, & it's not offered by YTTV, either. 

12 minutes ago, wood said:

Also, re: Directv Stream, I searched and searched last night, but couldn't find LHN listed anywhere at all. Is there a trick to finding it?

You have to have a Texas location and at least Choice tier (the 2nd one).  It's like 667 or something.

If you don't have a Texas location, you can still WatchESPN it logging in with Directv.  No ESPN+ needed.

Edited by JBJ

42 minutes ago, JBJ said:

You have to have a Texas location and at least Choice tier (the 2nd one).  It's like 667 or something.

If you don't have a Texas location, you can still WatchESPN it logging in with Directv.  No ESPN+ needed.

I';m in Austin but it's not showing in any of the channel lists for any tieer when I look. Maybe the list isn't complete? I dunno.

18 minutes ago, wood said:

I';m in Austin but it's not showing in any of the channel lists for any tieer when I look. Maybe the list isn't complete? I dunno.

I had the same issue/concern and ended up calling DTV customer service. The agent confirm that LHN is available in Texas with the Choice package (or above).

The explanation I got for LHN not showing up in the regional channel search (where you input zip) was that the search is only meant to turn up county-specific programming, whereas LHN is a "statewide" channel (so they view as being in a different bucket). Clearly they don't feel the need to advertise it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks @derpyhorndog. I saw your PM, too. Very helpful. Their channel listing setup for prospective customers needs a little work.

So I guess that means I can do a DTV free trial for one game and a Sling free trial for the other if I want to. No cost, but probably easier just to pay 1/2 price for Sling for a month.  Hmm ...

1 hour ago, wood said:

Thanks @derpyhorndog. I saw your PM, too. Very helpful. Their channel listing setup for prospective customers needs a little work.

So I guess that means I can do a DTV free trial for one game and a Sling free trial for the other if I want to. No cost, but probably easier just to pay 1/2 price for Sling for a month.  Hmm ...

Or hit a bar with LHN and spend that $30 on beer instead!

• Hook 'Em 3

This "county" bullshit is, uh, bullshit. I live in a county that is larger than Connecticut, has a population under 10,000 and the nearest "local" stations are 160 miles away. There used to be tv signals in the air, if you could put up a 150 foot tower to put your antenna on. The best non-cable service was from Playstation Vue, other than the fact that they decided that my local stations were in Omaha. I did finally get them to change those to MidDessa, but then they (Vue) promptly folded. I couldn't watch Dallas or Houston preseason on NFL with youtube because "area" (whatever that means), but they were on the locals, which youtube has, so there's that. Apparently the thousands of pages of FCC rules are still struggling with the fact that pure, wired-to-the-house cable is actually mostly dead, like Dread Pirate Roberts, and that the primary delivery system is "the" internet, which is actually the phone system.

EDIT: I like the beer method so far, but dunno if any of our four or five bars will be showing LHN.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

This "county" bullshit is, uh, bullshit. I live in a county that is larger than Connecticut, has a population under 10,000 and the nearest "local" stations are 160 miles away. There used to be tv signals in the air, if you could put up a 150 foot tower to put your antenna on. The best non-cable service was from Playstation Vue, other than the fact that they decided that my local stations were in Omaha. I did finally get them to change those to MidDessa, but then they (Vue) promptly folded. I couldn't watch Dallas or Houston preseason on NFL with youtube because "area" (whatever that means), but they were on the locals, which youtube has, so there's that. Apparently the thousands of pages of FCC rules are still struggling with the fact that pure, wired-to-the-house cable is actually mostly dead, like Dread Pirate Roberts, and that the primary delivery system is "the" internet, which is actually the phone system.

EDIT: I like the beer method so far, but dunno if any of our four or five bars will be showing LHN.

At least you don't live in Bandera.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

I never understood this as well along with why it's not available on Hulu through ESPN+ since Hulu is owned by Disney .

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I never understood this as well along with why it's not available on Hulu through ESPN+ since Hulu is owned by Disney .

31 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I agree, it's fucking stupid. I might go the Sling route then cancel after the season. 

Because ESPN's entire goal was to use it to drive forced carriage on lower tiers of the cable/satellite offerings, the same way the BTN had done within its geographic footprint.  Offering it a la carte or as part of ESPN+ would have undermined that.  It never really worked out for them, but they also seemed to lose interest after the first few years and didn't put much effort into increasing carriage through normal or new avenues.

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Yeah, same here, but I do like to watch the games with the fam, which means watching the game with minors.

9 hours ago, utee94 said:

I know last baseball season I noticed a bunch of SEC games on ESPN+, but I never paid attention if it was all of the games.  There were multiple however. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

How many Banderas are there? I'm pretty sure there's one not too far from Seattle. Saw the sign to it on I90 years ago. Seems like the proper screwup for those vidiots.

See Fooster's map above. The fine folks of Bandera always getting fucked over by the man!!

Just now, Steel Shank said:

See Fooster's map above. The fine folks of Bandera always getting fucked over by the man!!

I saw the map, that's why I was asking if you know of other places named Bandera... I think I even saw that map awhile back, when it was apropos. It shows only the one in Texas. I went and looked for other Bandera place names. There is one near Seattle, and of course ours. None of the others were in U.S.  Bottom line is prolly some dipshit at the network looked up "Bandera" and got the WA one and used its zip code - the ol' stupidity-simpler-than-malice deal.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

I saw the map, that's why I was asking if you know of other places named Bandera... I think I even saw that map awhile back, when it was apropos. It shows only the one in Texas. I went and looked for other Bandera place names. There is one near Seattle, and of course ours. None of the others were in U.S.  Bottom line is prolly some dipshit at the network looked up "Bandera" and got the WA one and used its zip code - the ol' stupidity-simpler-than-malice deal.

I think we should just let it go and move on to discussions on hot chicks or sandwiches (or both).

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't think SEC Network has 'overflow' channels - but they do have SEC+ which is the SEC branded version of ESPN's digital streaming ESPN+.  Assuming LHN is converted into an SEC West channel, Texas would be competing with the 7 other schools in the west for 'cable' airtime.  But I assume most relevant sports would be streaming on SEC+.

This is correct.  Basketball, baseball games are all on SEC+ or ESPN+ if they're not on the regular SEC network.  Unless they're on the road OOC and another network has broadcasting rights.

• Hook 'Em 1