This is a man. He's over 40. He's a man.

kopp0e

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Oklahoma State:  Wins a lot of football games, but never the "big" one.  Gives coach $700K raise every year for never winning anything of significance.

Gundy has won plenty of big games.   He just can't beat OU.  They have a pretty good program though down there in Norman.  

Which ones?

They're probably not big games in your opinion, but these come to mind for me.

2008 Mizzou, 2009 Georgia, 2011 OU and Stanford, 2013 Baylor, 2014 OU, 2015 TCU, 2016 Colorado. Also had a few good wins over Nick Foles Arizona teams in there.

Plenty of losses during that stretch to OU and a few clunkers against teams like Troy, Houston, and can't forget Central Michigan. Unfortunately those are the ones people tend to remember.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Okie State said:
6 minutes ago, slorch said:
9 in a row vs Tech...

who am I kidding?  Everyone does that now...

66-6 is one of my all-time favorite blowouts. The dancing red headed kid just topped it off.

Most of our games have been pretty damned tight through the years, but yeah, red headed kid personified.

19 hours ago, 'stache said:

Probably, unless Spencer Sanders turns into a freshman phenom.  We will have a solid rushing attack, a good but young receiving corp, but QB is a big question mark.  Defense is also a question mark, but when is it not?  I'm hopeful we can improve slightly on defense if for no other reason that we should have higher time of possession due to more rushes and longer drives than recent years.

Sanders is the future in Stillwater.  If they  redshirt him it may be a long season.  Hope to see him play in 4 games though, i really do think he'll be good. 

2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Gundy has won plenty of big games.   He just can't beat OU.  They have a pretty good program though down there in Norman.  

When I think of big wins, i think of stuff like bcs bowls, or big 12 championships. Or a win that catapults you into contention. Those are big wins.   Bedlam wins are big, but they arent huge unless that victory meant something... like winning the conference. i.e. osu winning bedlam any of the last seasons would have been monumental.  Who knows, osu wins those and they could be the back to back to back big 12 champs. The 14 bedlam victory was big but not really huge, it didnt make you big 12 champs or get you to a bcs bowl.  But it did end a 5 game losing streak.  '11 wasnt that big of a deal. osu was the better team, OU had a down year and they already had the big 12 in the bag.  But, imagine how big that win would have been if they didnt lose to iowa state.  Now that would have been something. 

Edited by Glenn Quagmire

When I think of big wins, i think of stuff like bcs bowls, or big 12 championships. Or a win that catapults you into contention. Those are big wins.   Bedlam wins are big, but they arent huge unless that victory meant something... like winning the conference. i.e. osu winning bedlam any of the last seasons would have been monumental.  Who knows, osu wins those and they could be the back to back to back big 12 champs. The 14 bedlam victory was big but not really huge, it didnt make you big 12 champs or get you to a bcs bowl.  But it did end a 5 game losing streak.  '11 wasnt that big of a deal. osu was the better team, OU had a down year and they already had the big 12 in the bag.  But, imagine how big that win would have been if they didnt lose to iowa state.  Now that would have been something. 

It's all relative. Of course championship implications make games big, but I believe big games exist outside of those.

Agreed the Bedlam games with the conference on the line were huge games and unfortunately we were only able to win one of those.

'11 wasnt that big of a deal. osu was the better team, OU had a down year and they already had the big 12 in the bag. 

That’s actually incorrect. Had OU won Bedlam in 2011, we’d have finished tied with them and they would have won the head to head. Which means we wouldn’t have won jack shit.

26 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The win over Andrew Luck's Stanford team in the 2012 Fiesta Bowl was kind of a big deal.

Agree here, and it was a serious question.   When I'm thinking big game in regards to program changers, I'm thinking of games where you're toppling the world or putting yourself on a new level.   Now I'm not saying they aren't in a good place, hell six 10-win seasons out of the past eight is putting them right on the cusp of greatness.   Clemson was in this place for a while too until they won the national championship.   Now they are there, before that they were always behind the SEC and FSU.   That's where Oklahoma State finds itself in my mind, just off the top.

So, looking back I see the Fiesta, which I think was also the only conference title this decade and, coincidentally, the year losing to the Cyclones brought on the worst championship game in memory and the advent of the playoffs.   That was very close to being THE transformation year.

In the next six years there have been no NY6 or really high end bowl wins; the Sugar a couple years ago was a Rebel rout.   And, its worse than just not being able to beat OU, since that Fiesta bowl they've averaged three losses in conference a year.  

That's why I asked, which big games are being won?   I'm actually serious and interested in the answer.

Read your first two sentences. The level we were at when MG took over was bottom of the barrel. He took us from total irrelevance to being nationally discussed on a regular basis. That’s a pretty good decade. Now the next 10 years needs to be about winning the type of games you’re talking about.

It’s all relative. A big win for UT or OU is different than a big win for OSU. Personally, I don’t think it’s ever going to happen and I’m ok with it. If the next 10 years are like the last 10, I’ll be pretty happy. A few more wins vs OU would be nice, but I don’t really see us ever reaching their level.

14 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Read your first two sentences. The level we were at when MG took over was bottom of the barrel. He took us from total irrelevance to being nationally discussed on a regular basis. That’s a pretty good decade. Now the next 10 years needs to be about winning the type of games you’re talking about.

It’s all relative. A big win for UT or OU is different than a big win for OSU. Personally, I don’t think it’s ever going to happen and I’m ok with it. If the next 10 years are like the last 10, I’ll be pretty happy. A few more wins vs OU would be nice, but I don’t really see us ever reaching their level.

Ok man, thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it.   I wasn't trying to be a dick, we were just defining "big game" differently.  

7 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

OSU is one of the many, many teams that MUST go undefeated to get into the playoff.  UT, OU, Bama, SEC #2, etc. can lose a game and still get in.  Because college football has an oligarchy thing going on. 

If you're OSU or one of the other 110 schools (out of 129) that aren't part of the 'traditional power' inner circle, then you learn to be satisfied with 10 win seasons and the rare, secondary BCS bowl invite.   College football has the worst playoff system of any significant sport in the world, so non-traditional powers have to define 'big game' differently.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Monster said:

OSU is one of the many, many teams that MUST go undefeated to get into the playoff.  UT, OU, Bama, SEC #2, etc. can lose a game and still get in.  Because college football has an oligarchy thing going on. 

If you're OSU or one of the other 110 schools (out of 129) that aren't part of the 'traditional power' inner circle, then you learn to be satisfied with 10 win seasons and the rare, secondary BCS bowl invite.   College football has the worst playoff system of any significant sport in the world, so non-traditional powers have to define 'big game' differently.  

This is true. Most OSU fans get that, where aggy, for example, believes they are an oligarch (spoiler alert: they aren’t). 

18 minutes ago, Monster said:

And if you're UCF, undefeated isn't even good enough. 

(Fix your shit, college football)

Edited by Monster

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, slorch said:
9 in a row vs Tech...

who am I kidding?  Everyone does that now...

66-6 is one of my all-time favorite blowouts. The dancing red headed kid just topped it off.

This too.  It's been nice because during the Les years and early Gundy years, we could not stop Tech and they would run all over us.  It's been nice to overtake them in the conference heirarchy.

2011-November-12-14-38-44.jpg

29 minutes ago, Monster said:

This is an excellent post.  

32 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Ok man, thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it.   I wasn't trying to be a dick, we were just defining "big game" differently.  

No worries.  My default position is it's the internet, everybody is the smartest guy in the room and has all the answers, and nobody is ever sincere.  Your sincerity caught me off guard.  

1 hour ago, Glenn Quagmire said:

Sanders is the future in Stillwater.  If they  redshirt him it may be a long season.  Hope to see him play in 4 games though, i really do think he'll be good. 

I'm pretty skeptical of "______ is the future of the program" type comments as it relates to OSU quarterbacks.  First it was going to be Bobby Reid, who was a five-star recruit and drew comparisons to Vince Young, but ended up being a bust.  Backup Zac Robinson ended up having a good career instead.  Alex Cate was a four star QB recruit who turned out to be awful and third-string elderly walkon Brandon Weeden became a star.  JW Walsh was our next four-star savior, but he turned out to have a noodle arm (though he did contribute and had a decent career).  Local unheralded Clint Chelf ended up having a few pretty good years as the starter.  Our next four star was Wes Lunt, who ended up being a fragile turnover machine.  Mason Rudolph was a three-star who ended up as our star.

You get the picture.  I've heard great things about Sanders, and I'm cautiously optimistic he'll take over and be a star.  We could really use it to keep the momentum going with the passing game and to avoid having to work Justice Hill to death. 

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I'm pretty skeptical of "______ is the future of the program" type comments as it relates to OSU quarterbacks.  First it was going to be Bobby Reid, who was a five-star recruit and drew comparisons to Vince Young, but ended up being a bust.  Backup Zac Robinson ended up having a good career instead.  Alex Cate was a four star QB recruit who turned out to be awful and third-string elderly walkon Brandon Weeden became a star.  JW Walsh was our next four-star savior, but he turned out to have a noodle arm (though he did contribute and had a decent career).  Local unheralded Clint Chelf ended up having a few pretty good years as the starter.  Our next four star was Wes Lunt, who ended up being a fragile turnover machine.  Mason Rudolph was a three-star who ended up as our star.

You get the picture.  I've heard great things about Sanders, and I'm cautiously optimistic he'll take over and be a star.  We could really use it to keep the momentum going with the passing game and to avoid having to work Justice Hill to death. 

I mostly say it because I dont think you currently have a Big 12 quality qb on campus.  Maybe a guy who will be a game manager but not really a take the team on his shoulders type of guy.  Sanders is the closest thing you will have to it, and i think the new rule to let people play and keep a rs will be big time for him. I Rudolph was even the best when he stepped on campus but its hard to start a freshman unless you really have to. 

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

Rudolph was a 4 star.  But the point is still well made.  I think the key is to land a highly rated QB every single cycle.  Do that and you don't end up in a position where you're hoping a true freshman can play.  And there's no reason not to do that if you've put up the kind of offensive numbers that OK State has put up for a decade, in a region that churns out elite spread QBs.

That said I think OSU will be fine at QB this year whether Sanders is ready to play or not.  Gundy always finds someone who can play.  

3 hours ago, Glenn Quagmire said:

I mostly say it because I dont think you currently have a Big 12 quality qb on campus.  Maybe a guy who will be a game manager but not really a take the team on his shoulders type of guy.  Sanders is the closest thing you will have to it, and i think the new rule to let people play and keep a rs will be big time for him. I Rudolph was even the best when he stepped on campus but its hard to start a freshman unless you really have to. 

I don't know if they do or not.  But when was the last time Oklahoma State didn't have a QB who could play?  Gundy gets the benefit of the doubt at this point.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

This too.  It's been nice because during the Les years and early Gundy years, we could not stop Tech and they would run all over us.  It's been nice to overtake them in the conference heirarchy.

If theres a better meme for beleaguered loyalty,  I haven't seen it.

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

I think the Oklahoma State vs Texas Tech rivalry is undervalued, as there's many alumni in some of the largest cities in the Lone Star State for both schools...

With time it can become a rivalry as well known as "The Backyard Brawl" of the old BigEast days, become a premier game in most years of teams vying for a division title...

9 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

No worries.  My default position is it's the internet, everybody is the smartest guy in the room and has all the answers, and nobody is ever sincere.  Your sincerity caught me off guard.  

Oh, yeah, I don't know shit.  Sincerely.  Ask anyone.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

J.w. Walsh was a good college qb between those years.

Yep.  2012 was the year they ended up playing Lunt, Walsh, and Chelf.  And their offense was good all season.  In 2013 was the same story except the defense was better.  They should have played in a BCS bowl game but blew a last minute lead to OU in Bedlam.  Their 2014 team put up 31 against #1 Florida State in week 1.  But Walsh got hurt, they ended up playing some guy named Dax Garmann in the middle of the season, until Rudolph took the reigns late in the year.  

It's been a long time since Gundy didn't have a good QB.

2 hours ago, Glenn Quagmire said:

Sure, he was kinda like a trevor knight.   Popular, well liked and respected by his team and fans, a good backup in a pinch,  but not quite good enough to bring them very far. 

The weird thing is TK blew a Saban lead Alabama defense out of the Sugar Bowl, but couldn't throw a wet noodle to save a plate of spaghetti in the XII...

On 6/24/2018 at 6:22 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Unlike OU, most of their fans have some sort of tie to the school.  They're also convinced OU is the most cheatery program in history (possibly true) while Okie State has never cheated or broken the rules (most definitely not true).  They're just as bad as OU and maybe worse but hey, who doesn't have a blind eye for their own team or political party?

One of the worst college towns of any P5 school, though.  

Every OSU fan I know acknowledges OSU cheated heavily through the 80s.  And I have heard multiple OSU fans express skepticism about the cleanliness of the basketball program when Ford was there.  But "just as bad as OU"? Really?  I don't think you can say Gundy is running a dirty program.  If he is, then he is really bad at it because the recruiting has always been meh.  

As others have stated, people who din't attend universities in true college towns don't get it.  I went to OSU and grad school at UT.  Had a great time both places, but the experiences were different.  There is something really great about being able to walk or ride a bike everywhere you need to go in a small town and constantly seeing people you know.  When over half a town are students, it creates a pretty great vibe.   

Whenever I catch the Oklahoma State game, I always like muting the TV and listening to the radio broadcast on the tune in app.Dave Hunziker, the “Voice of the Cowboys,” is pretty entertaining to listen to and he brings a lot of energy to his broadcast. Plus I always like hearing how he yells “pistols firing!” whenever the pokes score (except if it’s against Texas).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Every OSU fan I know acknowledges OSU cheated heavily through the 80s.  And I have heard multiple OSU fans express skepticism about the cleanliness of the basketball program when Ford was there.  But "just as bad as OU"? Really?  I don't think you can say Gundy is running a dirty program.  If he is, then he is really bad at it because the recruiting has always been meh.  

As others have stated, people who din't attend universities in true college towns don't get it.  I went to OSU and grad school at UT.  Had a great time both places, but the experiences were different.  There is something really great about being able to walk or ride a bike everywhere you need to go in a small town and constantly seeing people you know.  When over half a town are students, it creates a pretty great vibe.   

Just in the last year, there was a football player busted for being a dealer and the FBI is investigating the basketball program.  OSU isn't any worse than any other school but they're convinced OU is the most cheatingest program ever.  

10 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Just in the last year, there was a football player busted for being a dealer and the FBI is investigating the basketball program.  OSU isn't any worse than any other school but they're convinced OU is the most cheatingest program ever.  

OU SUCKS

Ever since that 2011 game, OSU is approximately 15/16 for 1500 yards and 20 TDs on 4th quarter 3rd and 15+ scenarios against us, while trailing or tied.

Its seriously getting to Farmageddon levels the way we blow this game late or get hosed.

I’m sure none of that makes them feel whole for that magical November evening 

Ever since that 2011 game, OSU is approximately 15/16 for 1500 yards and 20 TDs on 4th quarter 3rd and 15+ scenarios against us, while trailing or tied.
Its seriously getting to Farmageddon levels the way we blow this game late or get hosed.
I'll still be pissed about that game when I'm 80 years old yelling at clouds.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'll still be pissed about that game when I'm 80 years old yelling at clouds.

We all have a game or two we feel that way about:

af2.jpg

7 minutes ago, SCV Sooner said:

They've stolen all their "traditions".  Waiving wheat after a score (Kansas), pistol hand gesture (TX Tech), etc.  

Well, what else would you suggest a college that exists to educate wheat farmers nicknamed "The Cowboys" do?

Pretend to lasso something?

Ok, that might be funny as shit.

Edited by Al_4_ISU