This is a man. He's over 40. He's a man.

kopp0e

13 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Wasn't Prentiss Elliott a known gang banger when Okie Lite let him in?

Yes. Les Miles signed tons of questionable guys, all of which Gundy kicked off the team when he took over in 2005, which is why we had a massively depleted roster that season and it remains Gundy's only losing season in 16 seasons.

• 1 month later...

In video above, he said Gundy required that Derek Mason run the same defensive system as Jim Knowles so players wouldn't have to learn a new defense. 

Supposedly Mason has added to it by at times running a little bit of the old "Dallas Cowboys Flex Defense".  The returning defensive line is expected to be one of top 2 DL's in B12, but the secondary will need a lot of work.  

I think it's normal for a new coordinator to avoid making wholesale changes to schemes, especially when there are significant starters returning and a chance at another run at a conference title (i.e., not rebuilding). I also think it's understood that Mason is only a one-year hire, maybe two, and will be a head coach again soon.

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I also think it's understood that Mason is only a one-year hire, maybe two, and will be a head coach again soon.

So Mason gonna replace Gundy soon... got it

jk

Edited by LTtxfan

• 1 month later...

FootballScoop...  DOUG SAMUELS Jun 29, 2022

Mike Gundy: "College football is going to look completely different in two years..."

The upper tier of the Power Five may be able to entice recruits with lucrative NIL deals, but that's not happening at most Power 5 programs and Mike Gundy sees college football heading for some major changes...and fast.

The stories of high school kids going to where the NIL money is gets a lot of attention and clicks, but that's not how the majority of college football programs are operating in today's NIL era, according to Mike Gundy.

In a recent piece by Max Olson for The Athletic, Gundy shared that only the top tier of Power Five programs are able to engage in "pay-for-play battles" for recruits.

Gundy shares that approach doesn't seem sustainable, and they're not doing that in Stillwater, instead they have two NIL collectives that are focused on helping every player on the roster.

"It's not a sustainable way of life, in may opinion. Maybe there's 10 or 12 schools in the country that can live that way. The other 45 or 50 that are in the Power Five conferences, they can't sustain that type of model."

As much as NIL and the transfer portal have changed college football over the last several years, Gundy really believes that this is just the beginning and the game could look completely different as soon as two years down the road, and there's no turning back.

"We're adapting and learning on the run. College football is going to look completely different two years from now, in my opinion, and maybe even quicker than that."

"People need to quit talking about whether they like it or not. It's here. The genie's out of the bottle. It's over. So for Oklahoma State, they very most important thing we can do is make sure we're taking care of the student-athletes and our players."

Along with that willingness to adapt, and taking care of the guys on their roster now, protecting the culture he and his staff have built is another one of Gundy's top priorities.

"What that's gonna look like over the next six months, I don't know. But we have to keep our culture in place. We are who we are. We're not changing that. We're good at what we do."

"Until we get a governing body - if there's gonna be one - and someone gives us direction and tell us what the parameters are, we're all reacting on the run. That's the way I see it. When nobody is in charge, that's what happens. And really, right now, nobody's in charge.

See Gundy's full comments below.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The 15 most important assistant coaching hires of 2022 -- No. 11: Derek Mason, Oklahoma State

derek-mason-11.webp

ZACH BARNETT               2 HOURS AGO

The former Auburn defensive coordinator took a pay cut to push Oklahoma State over the hump in pursuit of a Big 12 title.

Who: Derek Mason, Oklahoma State

Title: Defensive coordinator

Previous stop: Auburn defensive coordinator (2021)

Why he's important: You don't see moves like this every year. Derek Mason was Auburn's defensive coordinator in 2021, and now he's Oklahoma State's. By my count, the last time an SEC coordinator took the same position at a Big 12 school came in 2008, when Will Muschamp left Auburn for Texas -- a different time in college athletics. Mason took a pay cut to do so. He left a 2-year deal at $1.5 million per to make $1.1 million at Oklahoma State, which is more than OSU paid Jim Knowles in 2021 ($800,000), and also less than the $1.3 million the school was willing to pay Knowles in 2022.

So, why?

Obviously, the answer here is that the vibe wasn't right between him and Bryan Harsin at Auburn. Here's the laundry-fresh answer Mason gave in his official hiring press release: "After meaningful discussions with Coach Gundy these past few weeks about his vision for the program, it became apparent that leading the defense for the Cowboys was the right fit for me."

In hiring Mason, Mike Gundy continues the action figure structure to his defensive staff: the body remains the same and the head is interchangeable. Mason is new, while the rest of the staff -- corners coach Tim Duffie (2013), safeties coach Dan Hammerschmidt (2014), linebackers coach Joe Bob Clements (2013) and defensive line coach Greg Richmond (2018) -- remains in place. To be fair, it was the same when Knowles arrived from Duke in 2018. The only change Mason made was moving Clements from defensive line to linebackers, thereby appointing himself a "walk-around" coordinator.

Link to entire article....

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-15-most-important-assistant-coaching-hires-of-2022-no-11-derek-mason-oklahoma-state 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Thanks for that link.

Everyone knows by now how much I hate when this tread gets bumped... I always assume it's something bad, lol.

Really?  You should know by now it’s just LT planting the board with Twitter diarrhea. 

Love you LT.  

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's a God damn tragedy they didn't get a shot at the whole enchilada in 2011. 

Drunkest I ever got during that whole decade, besides my bachelor party, was the night we lost to ISU.  I knew it was over, and later watching the ‘game of the century’ I got a serious case of what-coulda-been…like a lot of folks.  Who knows what we’d have done against a defense full of NFL players but it sure woulda been nice to try.  

Oh well.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/5/2022 at 10:46 AM, LTtxfan said:

The 15 most important assistant coaching hires of 2022 -- No. 11: Derek Mason, Oklahoma State

derek-mason-11.webp

The 15 most important assistant coaching hires of 2022 -- No. 1: Jim Knowles, Ohio State

jim-knowles.webp

Full article

Drunkest I ever got during that whole decade, besides my bachelor party, was the night we lost to ISU.  I knew it was over, and later watching the ‘game of the century’ I got a serious case of what-coulda-been…like a lot of folks.  Who knows what we’d have done against a defense full of NFL players but it sure woulda been nice to try.  

Oh well.  
I remember watching that game at the bowling alley. I believe it was a Friday night? Weeden had a poor showing that night. I think he was a Heisman candidate up to that point.

The country outside of Bama and LSU fandom got screwed that year. Their first matchup was bad enough. It wasn't good defense, it was just 2 offenses that were vertically challenged and hard to watch. And the rematch was equally as boring.

It was also before Bama is what they are today as pretty much the Patriots of college football.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Tennessee should’ve done everything in its power to hire him years ago. And Oklahoma State is lucky as hell to have kept him. He’s one thing about the Big XII I’ll miss.

I’m pretty sure they tried twice and he used them for raises from OSU both times. 

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

Oh well.  

On the other hand, your defense would have had an easier night against LSU than they did against Stanford.  Luck was 10x the QB of anyone who suited up for that year's sham title game and Stanford had a pretty nasty ground game that year too so they weren't one-dimensional.

The 2011 OSU team was really fun to watch.  The way they dominated RG3 was hilarious, the comeback against aggie was fantastic, and they handed OU one of its worst losses in modern history.  The bowl game against Stanford was fantastic . . . probably the two best teams in the country that year.  

Well, I don't know much about the school, the history or anything else about them; what I do know is that it wears the name and resides in oklahoma.

I don't need to know anything else to know that I have nothing but contempt and want no good thing to ever be-fall any who claim the Alma mater. My reasons are my own.

3 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Well, I don't know much about the school, the history or anything else about them; what I do know is that it wears the name and resides in oklahoma.

I don't need to know anything else to know that I have nothing but contempt and want no good thing to ever be-fall any who claim the Alma mater. My reasons are my own.

Many people in this state thoroughly enjoy barbequed bologna, so I understand your contempt. 

Edited by 'stache

On 7/14/2022 at 6:55 PM, LTtxfan said:

Gundy making jokes about not allowing Texas and blOU in meetings, and there's this...

When OSU loses Texas and OU from their yearly schedule and replaces them with UH, UCF, or Cincinnati…is that really “9 power 5 games” that would preclude them from playing OU? Those other schools would’ve been OOC patsies in most previous years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bedlam Series Between Oklahoma, Oklahoma State To End When Sooners Join SEC

bedlam.webp

Brett McMurphy            Sep 20, 2022

Conference realignment has claimed yet another victim. This time, it’s the annual Bedlam Series between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Both of the schools’ athletic directors told Action Network the series will end once Oklahoma leaves the Big 12 for the SEC in 2025.

The Bedlam Series began in 1904 — three years before Oklahoma became a state. The schools have met 116 times and have played annually for the past 112 years, making Bedlam the nation’s second-longest current uninterrupted college football rivalry.

However, that’s coming to an end.

“It (playing Oklahoma) presents logistical issues under our current (scheduling) structure,” Oklahoma State AD Chad Weiberg said. “We don’t have any openings to play them. We’re full. Unless there are significant undertakings to make the game happen, it can’t happen.”

Added Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione: “Oklahoma State has shown no interest to schedule any future games in football, so we’re moving on (with filling OU’s future nonconference openings).”

Castiglione also admitted the Sooners have limited availability for OSU on their future nonconference schedules.

The biggest reason is both schools have similar scheduling philosophies. OSU is expected to continue with a nine-game Big 12 schedule, and the expectation is the SEC will have a nine-game conference schedule when OU and Texas join the league in 2025.

That leaves only three nonconference openings per season. OU and OSU each schedule a Power Five nonconference opponent and fill their final two spots with either two Group of Five opponents or a Group of Five and an FCS opponent.

Both ADs said their schools’ nonconference Power Five openings are nearly completed for the next 15 years.

Oklahoma has scheduled a home-and-home series with Michigan (2025-26), Nebraska (2029-30) and Clemson (2035-36).  The Sooners also added SMU (2023, 2027) to replace the recently canceled future series with Georgia and Tennessee since those were scheduled to be played when they will be in the SEC.

Oklahoma State has scheduled home-and-home series with Arizona State (2022-23), Arkansas (2024, 2027, 2032-33), Oregon (2025-26), Alabama (2028-29), Nebraska (2034-35) and Colorado (2036-37).

How A Startup Analytics Company Changed College Football In 10 YearsRead now

Castiglione said at some point the Sooners and Cowboys may play “down the road,” but he isn’t optimistic about the near future once OU leaves for the SEC in 2025. Castiglione said if the football series ever returns, the game likely would be played in September instead of its traditional spot at the end of the regular season.

“It’s very difficult to predict the future of college athletics right now,” Weiberg said. “Would we have interest? Yes, when the logistics work out, but that appears to be well into the future.

“It is disappointing (the series is ending). This is a part of the history of this state, is Bedlam. To think about that coming to an end or some lengthy pause, up until a year ago was almost unfathomable.”

With the Bedlam Series ending, it becomes the latest longtime rivalry impacted by conference realignment. Other impacted games include Oklahoma-Nebraska, Texas-Texas A&M, Missouri-Kansas, Pitt-West Virginia, Nebraska-Missouri, Arkansas-Texas and Nebraska-Kansas.

Castiglione said he has had productive conversations with Weiberg, and both ADs are confident the schools will continue playing the Bedlam Series in all other sports except football.

But it’s the end of the Bedlam on the gridiron that will have the greatest impact on both schools.

“(Bedlam ending) is one of the consequences of OU’s decision (to join the SEC),” Weiberg said. “It’s disappointing for the people of the state of Oklahoma.”

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Bedlam Series Between Oklahoma, Oklahoma State To End When Sooners Join SEC

bedlam.webp

Brett McMurphy            Sep 20, 2022

Conference realignment has claimed yet another victim. This time, it’s the annual Bedlam Series between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Both of the schools’ athletic directors told Action Network the series will end once Oklahoma leaves the Big 12 for the SEC in 2025.

The Bedlam Series began in 1904 — three years before Oklahoma became a state. The schools have met 116 times and have played annually for the past 112 years, making Bedlam the nation’s second-longest current uninterrupted college football rivalry.

However, that’s coming to an end.

“It (playing Oklahoma) presents logistical issues under our current (scheduling) structure,” Oklahoma State AD Chad Weiberg said. “We don’t have any openings to play them. We’re full. Unless there are significant undertakings to make the game happen, it can’t happen.”

Added Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione: “Oklahoma State has shown no interest to schedule any future games in football, so we’re moving on (with filling OU’s future nonconference openings).”

Castiglione also admitted the Sooners have limited availability for OSU on their future nonconference schedules.

The biggest reason is both schools have similar scheduling philosophies. OSU is expected to continue with a nine-game Big 12 schedule, and the expectation is the SEC will have a nine-game conference schedule when OU and Texas join the league in 2025.

That leaves only three nonconference openings per season. OU and OSU each schedule a Power Five nonconference opponent and fill their final two spots with either two Group of Five opponents or a Group of Five and an FCS opponent.

Both ADs said their schools’ nonconference Power Five openings are nearly completed for the next 15 years.

Oklahoma has scheduled a home-and-home series with Michigan (2025-26), Nebraska (2029-30) and Clemson (2035-36).  The Sooners also added SMU (2023, 2027) to replace the recently canceled future series with Georgia and Tennessee since those were scheduled to be played when they will be in the SEC.

Oklahoma State has scheduled home-and-home series with Arizona State (2022-23), Arkansas (2024, 2027, 2032-33), Oregon (2025-26), Alabama (2028-29), Nebraska (2034-35) and Colorado (2036-37).

How A Startup Analytics Company Changed College Football In 10 YearsRead now

Castiglione said at some point the Sooners and Cowboys may play “down the road,” but he isn’t optimistic about the near future once OU leaves for the SEC in 2025. Castiglione said if the football series ever returns, the game likely would be played in September instead of its traditional spot at the end of the regular season.

“It’s very difficult to predict the future of college athletics right now,” Weiberg said. “Would we have interest? Yes, when the logistics work out, but that appears to be well into the future.

“It is disappointing (the series is ending). This is a part of the history of this state, is Bedlam. To think about that coming to an end or some lengthy pause, up until a year ago was almost unfathomable.”

With the Bedlam Series ending, it becomes the latest longtime rivalry impacted by conference realignment. Other impacted games include Oklahoma-Nebraska, Texas-Texas A&M, Missouri-Kansas, Pitt-West Virginia, Nebraska-Missouri, Arkansas-Texas and Nebraska-Kansas.

Castiglione said he has had productive conversations with Weiberg, and both ADs are confident the schools will continue playing the Bedlam Series in all other sports except football.

But it’s the end of the Bedlam on the gridiron that will have the greatest impact on both schools.

“(Bedlam ending) is one of the consequences of OU’s decision (to join the SEC),” Weiberg said. “It’s disappointing for the people of the state of Oklahoma.”

This headline/story has OUsux twitter all riled up today, but I'm not sure exactly what new information is here. Everyone has known for a while that it would be logistically difficult to play Bedlam football any time soon because of realignment and the fact that both schools already have at least one P5 opponent scheduled though 2037 with the exception of 2031.

This is a fact that both ADs just confirmed:

Castiglione said at some point the Sooners and Cowboys may play “down the road,” but he isn’t optimistic about the near future once OU leaves for the SEC in 2025.

Somehow these two quotes translate into "ZOMG Bedlam football is done forever!!!"

Neither closed the door forever on Bedlam football, just acknowledged what has been known for a while... so...what's the story exactly???

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't really care about Bedlam, but I'm here to say Gundy is a National Treasure.

I heard ScipioTex on a radio interview a couple of years ago describe him as an Amarillo gigolo from 1984.  Perfect. he's a combination of Terry Donahue, Bobby Bowden and Mike Leach all rolled into one.

16 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Saw where Gundy said something like "when OU decided to follow Texas and the money"....

Always Texas's fault. Poor little bitch always bullied by big bad Texas.

It is true blowU hanging on the back of Texas money train for their life

26 minutes ago, Zeus said:

It is true blowU hanging on the back of Texas money train for their life

Nah, you’re Florida man.  If you know the history of OU and Texas going back to Dodds and Donnie Duncan it was far from little bitch, helpless OU following UT around.  But nice try trying to score cheap points here.  OU sued the NCAA for TV revenue rights etc.  They’re far from guilt free on several pussy ass schools - namely Nebraska - leaving…it’s not all Texas fault by any means.  But believe what you want.  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/donnie-duncan-legendary-oklahoma-ad-and-big-12-influencer-dies/amp/

College athletics was changing, and during that time, Duncan served on the NCAA Research Committee that studied the possibility of a playoff. That was a quarter-century ago, long before there was traction for what we have today.

When it became evident that neither the Big Eight nor Southwest Conference was going to be able to survive on its own, Duncan and former Texas AD DeLoss Dodds ran the point on a new conference -- the Big 12.

“If we’re going to keep up, we need to grow something that is bigger than the Big Eight, bigger than the Southwest Conference,” Dodds recalled telling Duncan. “That’s when the conversation started about the Big 12.”

As the story goes, Dodds and Duncan traveled to New York to meet with advertisers. It seemed there was a market for selling a lot of Chevys in the slice of Americana from Iowa through Texas.

In essence, that is why the Big 12 still exists today. Any conference with Oklahoma (led by Duncan) and Texas (Dodds) was worth investing in.

Lol at last paragraph…

But Gundy is also right about it being out of his hands and OU leaving causing a freeze or end to bedlam.  Why does anyone have a problem with what he’s saying?

44 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Nah, you’re Florida man.  If you know the history of OU and Texas going back to Dodds and Donnie Duncan it was far from little bitch, helpless OU following UT around.  But nice try trying to score cheap points here.  OU sued the NCAA for TV revenue rights etc.  They’re far from guilt free on several pussy ass schools - namely Nebraska - leaving…it’s not all Texas fault by any means.  But believe what you want.  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/donnie-duncan-legendary-oklahoma-ad-and-big-12-influencer-dies/amp/

College athletics was changing, and during that time, Duncan served on the NCAA Research Committee that studied the possibility of a playoff. That was a quarter-century ago, long before there was traction for what we have today.

When it became evident that neither the Big Eight nor Southwest Conference was going to be able to survive on its own, Duncan and former Texas AD DeLoss Dodds ran the point on a new conference -- the Big 12.

“If we’re going to keep up, we need to grow something that is bigger than the Big Eight, bigger than the Southwest Conference,” Dodds recalled telling Duncan. “That’s when the conversation started about the Big 12.”

As the story goes, Dodds and Duncan traveled to New York to meet with advertisers. It seemed there was a market for selling a lot of Chevys in the slice of Americana from Iowa through Texas.

In essence, that is why the Big 12 still exists today. Any conference with Oklahoma (led by Duncan) and Texas (Dodds) was worth investing in.

Lol at last paragraph…

But Gundy is also right about it being out of his hands and OU leaving causing a freeze or end to bedlam.  Why does anyone have a problem with what he’s saying?

Lulz you are totally insane bub 

I have some family in Gainesville, with ties to the football team, followed them my whole life.

Born and raised in Texas, went to Texas, graduated, and lived in Austin and Galveston ever sense. 

You can keep calling me Florida man, Chicago man, but it won't make it true.

Score some points? 

They did follow Texas my dude, and yes it's got a lot to do with money.