This is a man. He's over 40. He's a man.

kopp0e

17 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I saw that too and I don’t believe it, but even if it’s true, you don’t enter the portal, stop practicing, and miss the bowl game, then think it’s cool to come back. Either wait til after the bowl, or work it out so that you continue playing and the door remains open like the Coastal Carolina kid.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

I’m thinking his personal reasons were we were 115th in defense last year and Gundy let him leave with some dignity before he was fired.

His father died recently. I also read that his daughter has serious health issues as well. I always think "I'm taking a sabbatical" sounds fake as fuck but in his case, it could very well be true.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

I saw that too and I don’t believe it, but even if it’s true, you don’t enter the portal, stop practicing, and miss the bowl game, then think it’s cool to come back. Either wait til after the bowl, or work it out so that you continue playing and the door remains open like the Coastal Carolina kid.

He showed a complete lack of loyalty to Gundy. I'd say bye bye too.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

First question on this podcast...  "What the HELL is going on in Stillwater with some of this attrition?"

Mike Gundy Didn’t Anticipate How Much the Transfer Portal Would Shape CFB | OSU | Robert Allen

Mentions that Gundy is wanting to increase the % of incoming transfers more now with the new transfer portal rules.  Players brought in from high school can leave at any time.  The transfers would most likely have to sit out a year if they want to transfer a 2nd time unless they are grad-transfers...

okie lite already has 11 transfer-in players for the 2023 season. 

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Mentions that Gundy is wanting to increase the % of incoming transfers more now with the new transfer portal rules.  Players brought in from high school can leave at any time.  The transfers would most likely have to sit out a year if they want to transfer a 2nd time unless they are grad-transfers...

okie lite already has 11 transfer-in players for the 2023 season. 

Coaches who are dicks like players who are trapped.  

11 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Coaches who are dicks like players who are trapped.  

Oh come on.

You think there's a single coach in college football who *likes* the portal? Building a roster with unpredictable high school kids is hard enough... now you have to deal with kids leaving on a whim every year for all kinds of reasons. 

I'm fine with the portal, but the idea that Gundy is some kind of dick because he doesn't like the fact that players (who they spent tons of resources recruiting and developing) can just walk at any time is stupid.

I have to imagine it's especially annoying when Gundy and his staff go out of their way to identify and sign 2- and 3-star guys who don't have other solid P5 offers, develop them and then have to watch them walk after they show they can play.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Oh come on.

You think there's a single coach in college football who *likes* the portal? Building a roster with unpredictable high school kids is hard enough... now you have to deal with kids leaving on a whim every year for all kinds of reasons. 

I'm fine with the portal, but the idea that Gundy is some kind of dick because he doesn't like the fact that players (who they spent tons of resources recruiting and developing) can just walk at any time is stupid.

I have to imagine it's especially annoying when Gundy and his staff go out of their way to identify and sign 2- and 3-star guys who don't have other solid P5 offers, develop them and then have to watch them walk after they show they can play.

I’m sure all coaches hate the portal.  I just think Gundy is an asshole, it has nothing to do with his feelings about the portal.  It would seem a lot of the soon-to-be-ex OSU players share that sentiment.  It is my opinion that asshole coaches are not going to be very successful in this new CFB environment.  I would get rid of him because the portal is going to accelerate the decline of a program from a 3-4 year slow bleed to all happening in one offseason.  

49 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m sure all coaches hate the portal.  I just think Gundy is an asshole, it has nothing to do with his feelings about the portal.  It would seem a lot of the soon-to-be-ex OSU players share that sentiment.  It is my opinion that asshole coaches are not going to be very successful in this new CFB environment.  I would get rid of him because the portal is going to accelerate the decline of a program from a 3-4 year slow bleed to all happening in one offseason.  

We'll see.

I've heard gloom-and-doom predictions many times over the years... typically happening when QB play slips. Then all of a sudden things are fine when the right QB is in place.

Funny how that works.

So, like I said... we'll see.

Gundy always seems to do a good job finding undervalued talent.  Increasing the number of inbound transfers to his current roster makes sense if he continues to find hidden value in those players like he has in the past...

Feels like a strategy that the "Purple Wizard" was pretty successful with at K-State.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Fuck Oklahoma state and the Big 12 refs they have in their pocket!

I don't think the refs are pro-OSU as much as anti-Texas. Though one of the OSU guys can chime in about all the games the refs have handed them over the years, I don't watch them play non-Texas very often.

We upset powerful zebra stripped allies when we fired their buddy Mack Brown and then left the Big 12. They have taken the whole thing very seriously.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

Good decision.  I can't imagine who would want to join this sinking ship other than DIII WRs

Et tu? This offseason kinda sucks but the chicken littles are way over the top. Gundy hates the portal, so do most coaches, he's just been more vocal. We're bringing in good players from the portal too, including yes a DIII all-american receiver and conference player of the year who has a high ceiling and is worth the risk if you look at his film. We were 12-2 with a Fiesta Bowl win over Notre Dame just last year, and were pretty good for the first half of this season until injuries decimated both sides of the ball. Half a season goes wrong and a bunch of fans lose their shit. We have the sixth longest current active bowl streak, while several other teams, including blue bloods, have had losing seasons since. But people are now "0-10-1 for sure" and "will we even be able to field a team next year?" even though we're replacing most of what we lose from the portal. We really only lost a handful of players who will be truly missed, a bunch of the others have ended up at Tulsa and other G-5 teams. Maybe the portal won't work out for us, maybe Bowman has lost it completely and the incoming freshman will be terrible, but to pretend that it's a certainty that we'll suck next year is just pure bitchassedness. 

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't think the refs are pro-OSU as much as anti-Texas. Though one of the OSU guys can chime in about all the games the refs have handed them over the years, I don't watch them play non-Texas very often.

We upset powerful zebra stripped allies when we fired their buddy Mack Brown and then left the Big 12. They have taken the whole thing very seriously.

It sure is a coincidence though two of the most memorable screw jobs by the Rig 12 Refs have been against Okie State.    

Just now, Nueces River Rat said:

It sure is a coincidence though two of the most memorable screw jobs by the Rig 12 Refs have been against Okie State.    

Well they were seven years apart and I don't think the intent either time was to benefit them. They probably would have preferred to save their pocket refs for OU if it was about them.

• Like 1

Well they were seven years apart and I don't think the intent either time was to benefit them. They probably would have preferred to save their pocket refs for OU if it was about them.

Every school has “ref’s screwed us” stories and think there’s some vendetta against them. There’s not.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:25 PM, 'stache said:

Et tu? This offseason kinda sucks but the chicken littles are way over the top. Gundy hates the portal, so do most coaches, he's just been more vocal. We're bringing in good players from the portal too, including yes a DIII all-american receiver and conference player of the year who has a high ceiling and is worth the risk if you look at his film. We were 12-2 with a Fiesta Bowl win over Notre Dame just last year, and were pretty good for the first half of this season until injuries decimated both sides of the ball. Half a season goes wrong and a bunch of fans lose their shit. We have the sixth longest current active bowl streak, while several other teams, including blue bloods, have had losing seasons since. But people are now "0-10-1 for sure" and "will we even be able to field a team next year?" even though we're replacing most of what we lose from the portal. We really only lost a handful of players who will be truly missed, a bunch of the others have ended up at Tulsa and other G-5 teams. Maybe the portal won't work out for us, maybe Bowman has lost it completely and the incoming freshman will be terrible, but to pretend that it's a certainty that we'll suck next year is just pure bitchassedness. 

Yeah, I'm et tu like a mother fucker.  It's not next year I'm so worried about.  It's three years from now.  What's going to stop this from continuing to happen every year?   We're losing important starters who have proven they are high quality power 5 players.  For the most part, that's not what we're getting back.   Fortunately it's the off season, so you're entitled to your optimism.  I'm just having a hard time seeing what you're seeing.  I think we'll look back at 48-0 as the beginning of the end.  Season success will be based on if we made a bowl game or not.  And the best players on those bowl teams will immediately head off to aggy for a fat payday.  And there isn't a thing Gundy can do about it.  At least we are in a conference with teams in the same position as us.  

On 1/13/2023 at 10:35 PM, Valmy77 said:

The word "probably" does not belong in that sentence.  With or without ref assistance, we've done ok against Texas.  The same is not true vs. OU.  

25 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Yeah, I'm et tu like a mother fucker.  It's not next year I'm so worried about.  It's three years from now.  What's going to stop this from continuing to happen every year?   We're losing important starters who have proven they are high quality power 5 players.  For the most part, that's not what we're getting back.   Fortunately it's the off season, so you're entitled to your optimism.  I'm just having a hard time seeing what you're seeing.  I think we'll look back at 48-0 as the beginning of the end.  Season success will be based on if we made a bowl game or not.  And the best players on those bowl teams will immediately head off to aggy for a fat payday.  And there isn't a thing Gundy can do about it.  At least we are in a conference with teams in the same position as us.  

This is what I don't get about the chicken littles, the assumption that if anyone isn't on the ledge they see pure unadulterated optimism. I'm not particularly optimistic I just see zero basis whatsoever to think we're gonna be so godawful next year. We replaced most of what we lost and will be okay at QB whether it's a healthy Bowman or Flores lives up to expectations. I'm not predicting 10 wins next year, but I'm super confident it won't be less than 6. There's just too many unknowns. The one known is that we haven't had a losing season in 17 years including some with really bad QB play and swiss cheese defenses. It's not the end of the world. 

Edited by 'stache

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

This is what I don't get about the chicken littles, the assumption that if anyone isn't on the ledge they see pure unadulterated optimism. I'm not particularly optimistic I just see zero basis whatsoever to think we're gonna be so godawful next year. We replaced most of what we lost and will be okay at QB whether it's a healthy Bowman or Flores lives up to expectations. I'm not predicting 10 wins next year, but I'm super confident it won't be less than 6. There's just too many unknowns. The one known is that we haven't had a losing season in 17 years including some with really bad QB play and swiss cheese defenses. It's not the end of the world. 

"Pure unadulterated" didn't come from me.  I'm just saying you're optimistic.  Especially compared to me.   While I think Gundy may have lost his fastball or desire, I don't really think he's the big problem.  I could be wrong and he's totally motivated.  He's just fucked.  The changing landscape of CFB works against us on every level.  If Gundy's personality or coaching choices are factoring in to why proven starters are bailing on us, then we're just extra fucked.  Either way, we're fucked.  At least on a national level.  We can't really compete nationally anyway, but we can trick people into thinking we can when the schedule, QB, and experience all fall in place for a good season.  I don't see how that is going to happen when we are going to lose some of our most important players every off season to the portal.  Last year was a trickle and this year was a flood.  I imagine it will level out to be 3 or 4 of our best players taking whatever big money offer is thrown at them.  You may be right, but it's hard to imagine, in a system that is set up against teams at our level, we're going to be one of the programs that handle it the best.  The key to managing this new world of CFB is probably going to be flexibility.  That isn't exactly Gundy's calling card.  His way is the only way, even though it's outdated.  I hope you're right and I'm wrong.     

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoPokes83 said:

Spencer Sanders (finally) transfers to Ole Miss. They’re already fully loaded at QB. I think he’s played his last down of football as any kind of starter. He was barely on the draft radar as it was, look for him to be Al Bundy’ing it next year.

We have some real problems.

28 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

Spencer Sanders (finally) transfers to Ole Miss. They’re already fully loaded at QB. I think he’s played his last down of football as any kind of starter. He was barely on the draft radar as it was, look for him to be Al Bundy’ing it next year.

Spencer is a great athlete.  I doubt Lane just uses him at QB.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah weird choice by him.

I mean I get if there wasn't the interest that he thought there was going to be when he entered the portal... and if it's true that Mike Gundy said "Thanks. But no thanks" to him wanting to return, why don't you go somewhere where you are more or less guaranteed to start?  Surely there is at least one other P5 program out there in need of an experienced starter who doesn't have a really good returning starter?  Or even a high-level G5 program? 

His NFL dreams aren't going to be fulfilled by sitting on the bench for a year at Ole Miss.

Maybe he'll supplant Dart as the starter there but I kind of doubt it. Dart is basically a younger, better version of Spencer Sanders.

• Like 1

I just wonder if Spencer can convert to a WR.  Lots of examples of former CFB QBs becoming WRs/TEs in the NFL. 

Barstool Sports says best thing about Spencer Sanders to Ole Miss is Rebels 'beating out Auburn and Hugh Freeze'

LANCE DAWE          34 MIN AGO

Oklahoma State quarterback Spencer Sanders has committed to Ole Miss.

He joins what is currently a crowded QB room, as incumbent Jaxson Dart is still there and former four-star freshman Walker Howard just transferred in from LSU.

Auburn was in pursuit of Sanders, but backed off of him a couple of weeks ago.

This did not stop Barstool from letting their opinion known on Hugh Freeze, Auburn, and the commitment of Spencer Sanders to Lane Kiffin and the Rebels.

"I think the best part about this is beating out Auburn and Hugh Freeze," Barstool's resident Ole Miss fan Mintzy said in a video on Twitter. "That makes it even sweeter."

Brandon Walker, the self-proclaimed "King of College Football" and SEC show host, also shared some more tasteful thoughts on Hugh Freeze and the Tigers missing out on Sanders.

"Lane Kiffin is the king of the transfer portal," Walker said. "He knows what he's doing. He knows how to go get players, he knows how to stack his roster [...] now, Jaxson Dart, I guess he's just screwed [...] the funniest part about all of this is that sanctimonious, fake preacher down in Auburn who thought Spencer Sanders was could have been his starting quarterback, Hugh Freeze was after Spencer Sanders and didn't get him. Lane Kiffin stealing money off of Hugh Freeze's plate is (expletive) hilarious."

Some less than professional comments from Barstool, as to be expected. Auburn is set to roll with incumbent Robby Ashford as their starting quarterback in 2023, unless they nab a QB during the spring window of the transfer portal.

On 1/13/2023 at 2:00 PM, LTtxfan said:

Gundy always seems to do a good job finding undervalued talent.  Increasing the number of inbound transfers to his current roster makes sense if he continues to find hidden value in those players like he has in the past...

Feels like a strategy that the "Purple Wizard" was pretty successful with at K-State.

I wonder if he'll be given enough time to rebuild the roster with that strategy.  He might get away with a losing season in '23, but his seat would be warm in '24 without some obvious indications that improvement is coming.  

I think the Oklahoma State job would garner a lot of interest nationally if it opened up.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Internet gossip BS, but I’ve heard he really burned bridges after he was told he could suit up for the bowl game but wouldn’t start because of missed practices. Interfering with players, etc.

The story that I've been told, and I think has at least partially been reported elsewhere so I think it's probably at least close to true is:

• Sanders told Gundy shortly after the WVU game that he intended to transfer for his last year but still wanted to play in the bowl game.
  • Gundy says OK we understand and that sounds good.
  • Because Sanders says he's going to play in the bowl game, Gunnar Gundy goes ahead and gets surgery to repair some sort of nagging injury he's had most of the year; this will mean we'll go into bowl prep and the bowl game with only two QBs: Sanders and Rangle.
  • When the bowl practices start, Sanders is a no-show and communicates (via Dunn) that he's decided he doesn't want to play in the bowl game after all because he wants to focus on finding his next landing spot (taking visits, etc.). Gunnar Gundy has already had his surgery so now we are down to one QB for bowl prep/bowl game.
  • Fast forward a few weeks as bowl practice is winding down and apparently Sanders hasn't gotten the interest in the portal he thought he would and so inquires about coming back and playing in the bowl game after missing out on all of the bowl prep practices.
  • Gundy says "thanks we're good."

I don't know if it happened exactly beat-by-beat like this, but I do believe this is the gist of what happened. 

People were beating up Gundy like crazy for (allegedly) saying no when Sanders (allegedly) asked to come back, but given Sanders' behavior in the last part of the season, I honestly don't blame him.  Remember there's another portal window coming up in May and Sanders may very well have re-entered at that point leaving us in a bigger lurch.

Better to go out and get an experienced QB for next year who really wants to be here, versus dealing with Sanders being wishy-washy about the whole thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4