This is a man. He's over 40. He's a man.

kopp0e

Interesting tidbits from article above...

Oklahoma State enters this season with modest expectations, picked seventh among the Big 12's 14 teams. Gundy is in makeover-mode on both sides of the ball; in addition to the change on defense, Oklahoma State will go under center and adding a tight end in an attempt to counter-act the 3-man front by expanding the line of scrimmage. 

If both changes hit immediately, Oklahoma State has the type of schedule to mount a dark-horse run that most Big 12 observers are expecting out of Texas Tech. The Pokes play only two of the top six teams in the Big 12's preseason poll, which means they get to play all seven teams picked behind them -- seven of the bottom seven.

Overall, it's the easiest schedule in the conference.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 11:45 AM, 'stache said:

We’re gonna win 10 games. We always play well when we’re expected to suck. It’s science.

Agreed.

SO many people are completely writing us off because of last year just sort of ignoring the fact that last year’s team was utterly decimated with injuries.

Bowman is a huge upgrade at QB over Sanders. Yes I said it. And the WR group overall is going to be better than last year as well.

The defense is also going to be better; Justin Kirkland is going to shine in the Nard Dog’s odd front. 

And the schedule is very favorable. 10+ wins or bust.

27 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Agreed. SO many people are completely writing us off because of last year just sort of ignoring the fact that last year’s team was utterly decimated with injuries.  Bowman is a huge upgrade at QB over Sanders. Yes I said it. And the WR group overall is going to be better than last year as well.  The defense is also going to be better; Justin Kirkland is going to shine in the Nard Dog’s odd front. 

Not sold defense will be better in 2023.  And will okie lite be able to run the ball well enough to help Bowman succeed??

Edited by LTtxfan

Why would your conference put the final Bedlam the first week of Nov?
A final fuck you to blowU from the league office? We'll get much worse from the refs no doubt. Not sure they really care about knocking the gooners down a peg, but it may not be necessary if they aren't significantly better than last season.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, notre dame joe said:

A final fuck you to blowU from the league office? We'll get much worse from the refs no doubt. Not sure they really care about knocking the gooners down a peg, but it may not be necessary if they aren't significantly better than last season.

League obviously not that concerned with knocking blOU down that much.  Gooners football schedule is a real joke -- they don't play k-state, tech, or baylor.

Edited by LTtxfan

League obviously not that concerned with knocking blOU down that much.  Gooners football schedule is a real joke -- they don't play k-state, tech, or baylor.
Charmin soft schedule means they could actually backdoor into the CCG.

Of course if anyone gets in the playoffs from the Rig12 this year it will be us...if the league will allow such a thing. Can you imagine a CCG between us and blowU with the horns winning and going to the playoffs? The "new Big12" will be dead on arrival if that happens...and it should.

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Agreed.

SO many people are completely writing us off because of last year just sort of ignoring the fact that last year’s team was utterly decimated with injuries.

Bowman is a huge upgrade at QB over Sanders. Yes I said it. And the WR group overall is going to be better than last year as well.

The defense is also going to be better; Justin Kirkland is going to shine in the Nard Dog’s odd front. 

I heard on the Sports Animal this week that Rangel was going to be the man. 🤷‍♂️

21 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sold defense will be better in 2023.  And will okie lite be able to run the ball well enough to help Bowman succeed??

Everyone is absolutely raving about Nardo, so we’ll see.

The only reason question mark is at LB with Cobb leaving. The DL and secondary look like strengths. The biggest question is how quickly will they all adapt to Nardo’s system.

I think the running will be drastically improved this year. For starters, we are entering the fall with a 2-deep OL for the first time in like a decade, and we are also going to apparently run more under center and work in some gap scheme vs. all zone scheme…. Plus Ollie Gordon and Jayden Nixon are a year older. I’m bullish on the run game for those reasons.

19 hours ago, ousux said:

Charmin soft schedule means they could actually backdoor into the CCG.

Of course if anyone gets in the playoffs from the Rig12 this year it will be us...if the league will allow such a thing. Can you imagine a CCG between us and blowU with the horns winning and going to the playoffs? The "new Big12" will be dead on arrival if that happens...and it should.

I’m not sure how that makes the new Big 12 “dead on arrival” considering neither OU nor Texas has even made the CCG since they announced they were leaving and TCU was in the title game last year. 

I think the “new Big 12” has done quite well on the field over the past several years. That won’t change this year or in the years to come.

And there’s no reason to think that any team that wins the Big 12 won’t have a legit shot at the CFP. Have you watched the past two years of CFB?

19 hours ago, JMFP said:

I heard on the Sports Animal this week that Rangel was going to be the man. 🤷‍♂️

Well I’d say listening to The Sports Animal was your first mistake, lol.

I’d listen to the Feels like 45 podcast for any real information on OSU vs. the emphatically lazy talentless Sports Animal hosts who literally just get their information by browsing message boards.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

BYU is always the outlier, as they have 24 year olds going against 19-20 year olds. JK, but I digress.  If their QB shows up in knee braces, look out, as he’s about to run for 175+!!!!         Hook’em!!!

k-state O-line is full of 6th yr players.

Don't underestimate purple wizard's offspring

• Like 1

I’d listen to the Feels like 45 podcast for any real information on OSU vs. the emphatically lazy talentless Sports Animal hosts who literally just get their information by browsing message boards.
The good news is I don't feel like BlowU will be improved enough to make it to the CCG, but their soft schedule improves the odds quite a bit. I guess even if a Texas/OU CCG does happen the conference could save face by saying the "2024 season is the true start of the new Big12", but still not a good look no matter which angle you take.

22 hours ago, JMFP said:

Shit yeah.  Why not.  Bring in an aging politician from Harlem to give it a go.  All in for Charles Rangel.

Edit:  Nevermind.  Just been told wrong Rangel.  

Edited by 89Horn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

An OU/UT CCG this year might bruise a few egos but it won't be that big of a deal. It was set up that way and has only happened once. The last four participants were neither OU nor UT. TCU has more CFP wins than OU (yes I know it doesn't change the blueblood dynamic, just showing that the rest can compete when things align). I also don't see OU making it this year, they have too many holes from last year, but who knows. Bottom line, it would suck, but nobody will care much once the game is over and everyone moves on to new conference alignment.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

An OU/UT CCG this year might bruise a few egos but it won't be that big of a deal. It was set up that way and has only happened once. The last four participants were neither OU nor UT. TCU has more CFP wins than OU (yes I know it doesn't change the blueblood dynamic, just showing that the rest can compete when things align). I also don't see OU making it this year, they have too many holes from last year, but who knows. Bottom line, it would suck, but nobody will care much once the game is over and everyone moves on to new conference alignment.  

Is okie lite finally gonna beat blOU ??

On 8/19/2023 at 4:45 PM, JMFP said:

I heard the only reason Gundy hasn't announced Bowman as the starter was to prevent guys from hitting the portal before the season starts.

On 8/19/2023 at 2:35 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Agreed.

Coming from the other side of the fence, having watched both play against my team a shit load of times, I couldn't disagree more.  We made Bowman look like a chump on a regular basis, and Sanders was always a massive thorn in our side, even the time he beat us.

I don't know where to slot this year's Poke squad, but hearing Allan Bowman was the starter made me feel better as an opposing fan.

It could be anecdotal to how they each played against ISU too.

50 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I heard the only reason Gundy hasn't announced Bowman as the starter was to prevent guys from hitting the portal before the season starts.

He’s never named a QB before opening game when there is no incumbent. What I read is that Rangel’s arm is stronger, but Bowman’s experience and accuracy are a big difference. I think he only has one year of eligibility and his knees are braced so I doubt Rangel would portal, especially since it wouldn’t get him a starting role anywhere else this late into the summer.

Edited by 'stache

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Would love to see a UT/ou CCG.

And have both teams just sit back on the field, crack open some brews, and give the rest of the Big12 the middle finger for 3 hours. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/20/2023 at 2:32 PM, ousux said:
On 8/20/2023 at 12:31 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

The good news is I don't feel like BlowU will be improved enough to make it to the CCG, but their soft schedule improves the odds quite a bit. I guess even if a Texas/OU CCG does happen the conference could save face by saying the "2024 season is the true start of the new Big12", but still not a good look no matter which angle you take.

I guess. 

On the flip side, how's it going to look if neither OU nor Texas is able to even make the CCG for 3 consecutive seasons leading up to their entry to SECSECSEC?

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Is okie lite finally gonna beat blOU ??

Finally since 2021?

I mean... I hope so? Would be fun to beat them in our last game as conference mates.

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Coming from the other side of the fence, having watched both play against my team a shit load of times, I couldn't disagree more.  We made Bowman look like a chump on a regular basis, and Sanders was always a massive thorn in our side, even the time he beat us.

I don't know where to slot this year's Poke squad, but hearing Allan Bowman was the starter made me feel better as an opposing fan.

It could be anecdotal to how they each played against ISU too.

I would argue that Sanders always had a much stronger supporting cast around him, with NFL players at the WR and RB positions just about every time we played against you guys; I'm struggling to remember who Tech even had at WR/RB back when Bowman was starting for them.  They may have had a few good guys, but not a Tylan Wallace or Chubba Hubbard or even a Jaylen Warren; regardless those were mostly bad Tech teams you'll were playing, versus some very good overall teams with Sanders at QB.

I liked Spencer Sanders; he was/is obviously a talented guy but he still had some pretty bad consistency issues as a 3rd year starter and made things so much harder on himself constantly by always trying to make the big play instead of just playing within the system.

I'm basing my opinions on Bowman from what I saw from him as a young guy at Tech but also what I'm hearing from people who have observed practice, including a friend of mine who is an NFL scout. (Not saying Bowman is an NFL guy - just that he's watched him up close and was very bullish on what he'll do this year). But yeah we'll see... I could be wrong... wouldn't be the first time. :)

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

He’s never named a QB before opening game when there is no incumbent. What I read is that Rangel’s arm is stronger, but Bowman’s experience and accuracy are a big difference. I think he only has one year of eligibility and his knees are braced so I doubt Rangel would portal, especially since it wouldn’t get him a starting role anywhere else this late into the summer.

Yeah Gundy NEVER names a starter when it isn't obvious (like when Sanders, Rudolph, etc., were entrenched as multi-year starters) and I wouldn't expect that to change at all in the portal era.

Edited by oSuJeff97

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I guess. 

On the flip side, how's it going to look if neither OU nor Texas is able to even make the CCG for 3 consecutive seasons leading up to their entry to SECSECSEC?

Finally since 2021?

I mean... I hope so? Would be fun to beat them in our last game as conference mates.

I would argue that Sanders always had a much stronger supporting cast around him, with NFL players at the WR and RB positions just about every time we played against you guys; I'm struggling to remember who Tech even had at WR/RB back when Bowman was starting for them.  They may have had a few good guys, but not a Tylan Wallace or Chubba Hubbard or even a Jaylen Warren; regardless those were mostly bad Tech teams you'll were playing, versus some very good overall teams with Sanders at QB.

I liked Spencer Sanders; he was/is obviously a talented guy but he still had some pretty bad consistency issues as a 3rd year starter and made things so much harder on himself constantly by always trying to make the big play instead of just playing within the system.

I'm basing my opinions on Bowman from what I saw from him as a young guy at Tech but also what I'm hearing from people who have observed practice, including a friend of mine who is an NFL scout. (Not saying Bowman is an NFL guy - just that he's watched him up close and was very bullish on what he'll do this year). But yeah we'll see... I could be wrong... wouldn't be the first time. :)

Yeah Gundy NEVER names a starter when it isn't obvious (like when Sanders, Rudolph, etc., were entrenched as multi-year starters) and I wouldn't expect that to change at all in the portal era.

You raise some good points, and I’m probably applying small sample sizes of both guys to this, but I swear every time Sanders played ISU he had some “how the fuck did he do that?” throw.  Almost always on 3rd and long.

Because our payback for 2011 has been your ability to convert 3rd and literally anything when we play.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Haha 1

We shall see.  

- I’m actually glad to move on from Sanders…I may eat those words but he could be impulsive and injury prone, having as many bonehead as wow moments.  As much as I loved the Zac Robinson era, putting too much on a running QB offense risks disaster 

- Speaking of offense, this year will see if a constantly broken OL was really a massive cog in last year’s complete meltdown.  Still not a fan of our OC despite arguably earning his stripes over the years.  

- I’m all for the more basic, instinctual 3-3-5 that Nardo seems to bring with him.  If the portal is going to cause us little guys this much turnover, a quick-learning system may prove beneficial.  DL recruiting, development and performance has proven to be a strength in recent years that may allow a more ‘Rover’ style backfield.  

- Schedule sets up perfectly for breaking in new pieces.  

- Gundy, for all his shortcomings, has earned benefit of the doubt in adapting.  Over the years we’ve been known for RBs, Biletnikoff factory, plucking coordinators who show plays with LEGOs, DLs and even a defensive powerhouse once.  He tends to overperform in low expectation years. 

- Just, for once, can we maintain a mostly healthy OL?  Please?

Edited by Homercles

20 minutes ago, Homercles said:

We shall see.  

- I’m actually glad to move on from Sanders…I may eat those words but he could be impulsive and injury prone, having as many bonehead as wow moments.  As much as I loved the Zac Robinson era, putting too much on a running QB offense risks disaster 

- Speaking of offense, this year will see if a constantly broken OL was really a massive cog in last year’s complete meltdown.  Still not a fan of our OC despite arguably earning his stripes over the years.  

- I’m all for the more basic, instinctual 3-3-5 that Nardo seems to bring with him.  If the portal is going to cause us little guys this much turnover, a quick-learning system may prove beneficial.  DL recruiting, development and performance has proven to be a strength in recent years that may allow a more ‘Rover’ style backfield.  

- Schedule sets up perfectly for breaking in new pieces.  

- Gundy, for all his shortcomings, has earned benefit of the doubt in adapting.  Over the years we’ve been known for RBs, Biletnikoff factory, plucking coordinators who show plays with LEGOs, DLs and even a defensive powerhouse once.  He tends to overperform in low expectation years. 

- Just, for once, can we maintain a mostly healthy OL?  Please?

Yeah Sanders at times, really underachieved.

I'm really interested to see how okie lite plays this year... no one knows for sure.

I really think the OL is the key because Bowman is apparently a statue, complete opposite of Sanders with his running abilities (which as noted above also led to injuries). Everything I'm reading is that we are legit 2 deep at OL for the first time in forever. I also read that we're going under center some this year, I read it in the context of Bowman's time at Michigan where that was a big part of the offense. Not sure if they are doing it solely for Bowman or in general, but I think its not just for Bowman, as a one year major change would be odd. I remember in 2010 in one of Weeden's first games we eeked out a win against Florida Atlantic and he went under center for a kneel play and fucking fumbled it. We recovered but goddamned that could have been a fucking disaster. We've taken snaps to kneel from the shotgun every since. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I judge our outlook based on Gundys moods. When we stink he’s cranky to the media. He’s been pretty good, joking around, etc, tells me he’s comfortable with the team this year. Gotta stay healthy though, Bowman in particular.

He's in a good mood because he knows the annual ass whipping from OU ends after this season.