This is a man. He's over 40. He's a man.

kopp0e

15 minutes ago, Okie State said:
27 minutes ago, kopp0e said:
How do you know the difference in a vertical & horizontal video in a tweet..?

When I clicked on the video it was vertical. I don't do Twitter though so maybe that's normal?

Ok, I get it..! 

15 hours ago, Okie State said:

Seriously with the vertical video? Mind bottling.

Also mind bottling: doing a test of the big shiny new video board in the football stadium with...... basketball highlights?

I know it doesn't make much of a difference... just thought it was funny. 

12 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Also mind bottling: doing a test of the big shiny new video board in the football stadium with...... basketball highlights?

I know it doesn't make much of a difference... just thought it was funny. 

On the bright side, the video board is attached to the basketball arena... I have made a valid connection as to why the video was used...

22 hours ago, 'stache said:

OU has a basketball player on their new football uniforms. That make monumentally less sense.

So do a few other football programs.    It's a nice recruiting tool too, kids love Jordan. Even football players.  A lot of schools wanted it but only a few got it

5 hours ago, Okie State said:
7 hours ago, Greg Focker said:
So do a few other football programs.    It's a nice recruiting tool too, kids love Jordan. Even football players.  A lot of schools wanted it but only a few got it

Doesn't make it any less dumb.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion.  But it's so popular people at two of these Jordan brand schools have gotten busted selling them.  It's a s gimmicky as having 16 different uniform combinations ya know?  But it sure doesn't hurt recruiting

5 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Is OK state going to start true freshman Sanders at some point this year?  Guy looks legit. I kind of hope they don’t. 

IMO he's their best chance to compete for the B12

Nice attempt at a dig, but I also think we have too many uniform combos. A few of them have a classic look and I wish we'd stick with those. I understand the reason we do it, but I still don't like it.

Just because you're a fan doesn't mean you have to defend everything your school does. A basketball player on a football uniform is dumb regardless of whether or not recruits like it.

With the new redshirt rules I think we’ll definitely see Sanders in some early games with a chance to take reigns by conference play. If he’s as good as people say I think he’ll win the job. This is a good year for it too since we’ll be leaning on the running game and finally have some depth on o-line.

We always seem to crush it when we drop below the NY6 games.  Usually because we're against an overmatched opponent who isn't prepared for our offense, and Gundy seems to let his nuts hang in those games.  We've had less success in bigger games (including the Cotton Bowl before it technically was NY6).  Lost a Sugar Bowl and two Cotton Bowls.  Twice to Ole Miss (including when Eli Dumbface was QB) and once against newly SEC Mizzou (with some of the worst officiating I've seen in a while).  We'll always have the Fiesta when we beat Andrew Luck's Stanford team.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah most of that is Gundy.  He's 8-4 (.667) in bowl games as a head coach. 

We were 10-6 (.625) before Gundy.  Pretty small sample size because we made only a handful of appearances between the 40's and 2000s, but we've done pretty good when we get there.  Bowl record is such a dumb statistic though because it really has no bearing on how good your program is, especially by today's standard where 6-6 gets you into some no-name corporate sponsor bowl.  A team with a .500 bowl record consisting of several BCS/NY6 bowls is doing better than a program with a .750 bowl record consisting mostly of Fart of Dallas and Beef o' Brady bowls. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

We were 10-6 (.625) before Gundy.  Pretty small sample size because we made only a handful of appearances between the 40's and 2000s, but we've done pretty good when we get there.  Bowl record is such a dumb statistic though because it really has no bearing on how good your program is, especially by today's standard where 6-6 gets you into some no-name corporate sponsor bowl.  A team with a .500 bowl record consisting of several BCS/NY6 bowls is doing better than a program with a .750 bowl record consisting mostly of Fart of Dallas and Beef o' Brady bowls. 

I don't remember OSU ever being like Nebraska or some other "blueblood" who limped into bowl season with a 5-7 record, so there's that to say positive as well..!

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah most of that is Gundy.  He's 8-4 (.667) in bowl games as a head coach. 

Yeah, I think 'stach articulated a response far better than what my reply would have been, so I will just go with his theory...

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Right but it's all relative. If you are playing in a lower-level bowl you are generally playing against an evenly matched team. I think it's still a credit to Gundy that he pretty much always gets his teams ready to play.  Somebody still has to lose those games and a lot of teams don't come out focused in bowl games. We pretty much always do.

About the only times we haven't performed well in bowl games under him were when the teams were ravaged with injuries ('08, '09) or we happened to get matched up against the best team money could buy (that Ole Miss team in '15).

We still played well in the game against Mizzou, which was basically a toss-up game.

The loss to Eli in the Cotton Bowl was Les Miles, not Gundy.  But we played well in that game as well.  IIRC, Josh Fields actually threw for more yards than Eli and set a Cotton Bowl passing record.  (Not sure if it still stands, but it was a record at the time.)

Edited by oSuJeff97

8 hours ago, Okie State said:

Nice attempt at a dig, but I also think we have too many uniform combos. A few of them have a classic look and I wish we'd stick with those. I understand the reason we do it, but I still don't like it.

Just because you're a fan doesn't mean you have to defend everything your school does. A basketball player on a football uniform is dumb regardless of whether or not recruits like it.

It's not intended as a dig.  I wouldn't mind having more combos, I'm not the purist that others are, I wish OU did it more.   But I know a gimmick when  I see one, that's all it is.  Jumpman logo and excessive uniform combos, they  are gimmicky  recruiting tools but people just like the brand.  It can be as dumb as a box of rocks for all I care, if those  teenagers like wearing it,  its tolerable since they are make Saturdays great!

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

We were storming back too against Eli in the fourth but couldn't pull off the win.  We literally ran out of time, which is a phrase that had meaning before aggy soiled it.

Yeah it was super fun game to be at, even though we lost.

It was crazy hot for Jan. 2 or whatever day it was on that year. I don't recall how how it was exactly, but I remember sweating my ass off in the stands.

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

Shut up, dude! We beat Bama in '06!!  BAMA!!

4 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

For anyone that is interested, KOCO will show a preseason special...

So 55 minutes of sooner football stuff followed by 5 minutes of OSU stuff?  

I do like Klatt though.  Don't agree with everything he says, but compared to the SEC/ESPN shills, he knows something about college football outside of a single conference.

4 minutes ago, Monster said:

So 55 minutes of sooner football stuff followed by 5 minutes of OSU stuff?  

I do like Klatt though.  Don't agree with everything he says, but compared to the SEC/ESPN shills, he knows something about college football outside of a single conference.

I would guess the broadcast might be closer to 55/45 split, Gundy has placed the program in a good spot nationally post Les Miles in Stillwater, so the locals have to notice...

On 8/21/2018 at 2:28 PM, Machinator said:

Just saw this article.  Totally figures...

This quote from the article is total bullshit too from a talent perspective:

“Normally when you replace a legend, someone like Barry who had accomplished so much, you take over a program that’s in very good shape,” said Gibbs in 1994. “In our case, we took over a program with extremely high expectations but which was basically a hellhole."

When Gibbs took over, OU had Mike Gaddis, Joe Bowden, Glyn Milburn, Jason Belser, Reggie Barnes, Ricky Brady, who all played extensively in the NFL, along with about ten other guys who were in the NFL for at least a few years.  Along with that, OU had both offensive and defensive lines filled with All Big 8 players.  He had NCAA sanctions for his first two years with no TV or bowl games, but talent in the program was extremely high.  Gibbs was as dull as a board and didn't give two shits about any of his players.  On top of that, he had all of Barry Switzer's coaching staff intact before running most of those guys off.

I've never seen a coach throw more people under the bus in an effort to save his own reputation.

14 minutes ago, MalibuSheriff said:

Just saw this article.  Totally figures...

This quote from the article is total bullshit too from a talent perspective:

“Normally when you replace a legend, someone like Barry who had accomplished so much, you take over a program that’s in very good shape,” said Gibbs in 1994. “In our case, we took over a program with extremely high expectations but which was basically a hellhole."

When Gibbs took over, OU had Mike Gaddis, Joe Bowden, Glyn Milburn, Jason Belser, Reggie Barnes, Ricky Brady, who all played extensively in the NFL, along with about ten other guys who were in the NFL for at least a few years.  Along with that, OU had both offensive and defensive lines filled with All Big 8 players.  He had NCAA sanctions for his first two years with no TV or bowl games, but talent in the program was extremely high.  Gibbs was as dull as a board and didn't give two shits about any of his players.  On top of that, he had all of Barry Switzer's coaching staff intact before running most of those guys off.

I've never seen a coach throw more people under the bus in an effort to save his own reputation.

Undoubtedly there were more horses in the barn when Gibbs took over the job, and didn't do too bad, when comparing to Schellenberger & Blake...

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Are they playing KSU?

Ha... interesting question and I had to look it up to figure it out.  At first I was thinking it wasn't because I thought I remembered that K-State had "KSU" on their helmet in the 80s.

But then looking at OSU's home schedule in '86 and '87 (the clip had to be one of those two years since Gundy and Thurman Thomas were playing), the only teams at home even close to those colors would have been K-State in '87 or Kansas in '86.  (I know it looks more purple, but the video is so old and the color is so bad I was thinking it could be like a dark blue or something.)

Just looked up K-State's uniform history and they indeed had a solid purple helmet in '86 and '87.  Before '86 they had the "KSU" on the helmet I was remembering... then they had "Cats" in '88 before switching to the "Power Cat" logo in '89.

So yeah... K-State in '87... a game that OSU won 56-7.  OSU finished 10-2 that year with their only two losses being to (of course) #1 OU and #2 Nebraska. 

Edited by oSuJeff97

4 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Ha... interesting question and I had to look it up to figure it out.  At first I was thinking it wasn't because I thought I remembered that K-State had "KSU" on their helmet in the 80s.

But then looking at OSU's home schedule in '86 and '87 (the clip had to be one of those two years since Gundy and Thurman Thomas were playing), the only teams at home even close to those colors would have been K-State in '87 or Kansas in '86.  (I know it looks more purple, but the video is so old and the color is so bad I was thinking it could be like a dark blue or something.)

Just looked up K-State's uniform history and they indeed had a solid purple helmet in '86 and '87.  Before '86 they had the "KSU" on the helmet I was remembering... then they had "Cats" in '88 before switching to the "Power Cat" logo in '89.

So yeah... K-State in '87... a game that OSU won 56-7.  OSU finished 10-2 that year with their only two losses being to (of course) #1 OU and #2 Nebraska. 

It seemed like the only conceivable conference game, but I figured there could be some random ass non-con.

21 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Speaking of old OSU stuff... saw this on Twitter and thought it was goddamn hilarious....

csb/ When they tore out the turf in Lewis Field, they cut it up and sold it as doormats or coasters. I got a set of 4 coasters but I have no idea where I put them. /csb

16 minutes ago, Sandman said:

csb/ When they tore out the turf in Lewis Field, they cut it up and sold it as doormats or coasters. I got a set of 4 coasters but I have no idea where I put them. /csb

Wasn't something done similar with GIA when it was expanded/ renovated back in the day..?

r960-ecb0768afde8ec96d55a350e2f31b728.jp