Verizon 5G Home Internet

Up until now, the only choice for high speed internet in my hood has been Xfinity.  I’ve been using that and have been mostly satisfied, but it seem very costly and they seem to have outages too frequently.  I just got a notice that Verizon 5G home internet is now available.  I’m a current Verizon phone customer so I could add it on for a pretty good cost savings. Has anyone used it?  Does it give the speeds it advertises and how reliable is it?  I’ll hang up and listen.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Up until now, the only choice for high speed internet in my hood has been Xfinity.  I’ve been using that and have been mostly satisfied, but it seem very costly and they seem to have outages too frequently.  I just got a notice that Verizon 5G home internet is now available.  I’m a current Verizon phone customer so I could add it on for a pretty good cost savings. Has anyone used it?  Does it give the speeds it advertises and how reliable is it?  I’ll hang up and listen.

I have been following its rollout in Houston. Prior to getting to ATT fiber, I'd have been interested in trying it out. But it never expanded to my area despite getting weekly emails from Verizon about it. Now ATT fiber isn't that expensive and gives me symmetric 1 gig speeds with very low latency. It'd be a little bit cheaper to if Verizon expands its 5g service (and there is literally a box down the street from me that suggests at some point it'll expand here), but I can't imagine switching over at this point. 

It's really dependent on exactly where you live and the coverage. But if you can get good speeds at the house, it is plenty fast enough for the streaming and browsing needs of a family. Check the limits though. I'm familiar with TMo 5G home Internet, but not Verizon's. If you stream a lot of it's your primary means of TV, you might hit you cap and then get throttled. No idea if the throttled speed is enough. 

On 8/19/2022 at 11:52 AM, DCLonghorn said:

It's really dependent on exactly where you live and the coverage. But if you can get good speeds at the house, it is plenty fast enough for the streaming and browsing needs of a family. Check the limits though. I'm familiar with TMo 5G home Internet, but not Verizon's. If you stream a lot of it's your primary means of TV, you might hit you cap and then get throttled. No idea if the throttled speed is enough. 

5G home officially has no cap.  no idea if there's a soft throttle. 

On 8/19/2022 at 7:52 PM, DCLonghorn said:

We have Spectrum 5g that’s fast but goes out all the time, so ordered Verizon 5g box.

It sucks for us. We have to put it in a far window in the house to get the best reception, but the speed of all devices farther away in the house is compromised.

Might work well for other folks depending on location. Still debating whether to return or just keep it as a back up to shitty Spectrum.

4 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

We have Spectrum 5g that’s fast but goes out all the time, so ordered Verizon 5g box.

It sucks for us. We have to put it in a far window in the house to get the best reception, but the speed of all devices farther away in the house is compromised.

Might work well for other folks depending on location. Still debating whether to return or just keep it as a back up to shitty Spectrum.

I don't really understand the bold. That just seems like a wifi problem. Get a mesh system to cover your house (I use Amazon Eero). 

We have Lynksis for the Spectrum so maybe you’re right. I guess I’m hesitant switching everything over to the Verizon box. Because lazy, reticent.

But if Spectrum goes out another fucking 12 hours I’ll switch over and report back.

Edited by Mach 1

On 8/23/2022 at 12:16 PM, Mach 1 said:

I stopped by the Verizon store on my way home yesterday to pick up the box. I am going to hook it up tonight and go to the Spectrum store tomorrow to give them back their equipment. I would prefer that I never use Spectrum for anything going forward and it is mostly because I find them to be a company I would never want to do any business with.

This seems like a good thread to temporarily derail with a Verizon 5G/cell question. 

I live in west McKinney and have Verizon cell service and it’s absolute dog shit. I can have 4 bars of LTE or 5G and get no service. Any idea what would cause that?  Has been like this for 1-2 years and on multiple devices. How would I even begin to troubleshoot that or get someone from Verizon to actually give me an answer? That last one is lol-worthy, I know. 

previous attempts to reach out they said it was a temporary service issue which was obvious bs. 

13 hours ago, George said:

This seems like a good thread to temporarily derail with a Verizon 5G/cell question. 

I live in west McKinney and have Verizon cell service and it’s absolute dog shit. I can have 4 bars of LTE or 5G and get no service. Any idea what would cause that?  Has been like this for 1-2 years and on multiple devices. How would I even begin to troubleshoot that or get someone from Verizon to actually give me an answer? That last one is lol-worthy, I know. 

previous attempts to reach out they said it was a temporary service issue which was obvious bs. 

I've experienced the same and am convinced it is/was related to Verizon 5G rollout as it matched there rollout. It's good now but once or twice a year I experience for a few days each time. Verizon no help and spend hours with you having you reset everything down to a factory reset each time...

Quick search online and since 2019 the problem has been prevalent everywhere with Verizon.