anybody install a mini-split?

Yes, it's easy they come pre-charged for the length of the line they give you. 

Is it 220/240 or 110/120? The 240 is usually a bit more work because you have to make the end and plug it in or have a 240 outlet. If it's 120 just plug that bitch in and enjoy. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm looking at a DIY unit at Home Depot for the studio that I built.  I've never done it, but I've got a lot of confidence in my skills.

Anybody do this?

Had to finish a 240 install when our installers couldn't get it working... (they had just miswired it -- following install manual step by step was enough for me to figure that out) so became pretty familiar with the setup. If you're confident it's definitely a DIY project.  240 just a matter of being able to wire things properly and/or having circuit setup.

The only question is where the unit is going. If on or near outside wall where you can rely on "gravity" condensation draining then super simple. If running from inside room or place where you will need to add a condensate pump then not difficult, but I've found proper elevation and level of pump is very important to proper function. 

The one that HD has in stock is 110/120.  I have a tenant coming in starting 9/1, so I can't wait for the 220/240 version.  
It's going on an exterior wall.

So, if you have more line than you need, you don't cut it?  Do you just coil up the excess? 

23 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

The one that HD has in stock is 110/120.  I have a tenant coming in starting 9/1, so I can't wait for the 220/240 version.  

So, if you have more line than you need, you don't cut it?  Do you just coil up the excess? 

Yes, otherwise you'll overcharge the unit or worse leak refrigerant out into the atmosphere. I don't know why you would have more than you need though.  They sell different length pre-charged kits. 

https://www.homedepot.com/c/ah/how-to-install-a-mini-split/9ba683603be9fa5395fab90c887a9dd

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

yeah, you can either move the outside unit further away or just tuck the extra length behind the outside unit, either works.

4 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I'm about to get one in my garage. I'm going to have to get 220's wired up, possibly 221's.. whatever it takes. Not that this is an easy task, but these units are 1/3 the price in Mexico if you can figure out how to make the logistics work out. 

Well, i live in San Diego, but I'm not really thrilled about heading to TJ these days. 

Just now, Gil Bang said:

Well, i live in San Diego, but I'm not really thrilled about heading to TJ these days. 

It may be easy for you to hire someone to do this.. I actually travel to MX alot but can't work out the logistics angle.. Not like you can gate check those things

I bought a DIY 12,000 BTU at Home Depot for $900 bucks.    I haven't started the install yet, I'll probably pour a pad for the condenser tomorrow, and maybe install the air handler and rough in the electrical.  I'm calling around looking for a vacuum pump.  Looks like I can rent one from an auto parts store, but no idea if it's going to mate up or will I need an adapter? 

12 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I bought a DIY 12,000 BTU at Home Depot for $900 bucks.    I haven't started the install yet, I'll probably pour a pad for the condenser tomorrow, and maybe install the air handler and rough in the electrical.  I'm calling around looking for a vacuum pump.  Looks like I can rent one from an auto parts store, but no idea if it's going to mate up or will I need an adapter? 

Did you not get a precharged unit? Those don't require vacuuming. If not and vacuuming required, you will need adapters.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

Interestingly one of the houses in my neighborhood that moved recently had a split put into the garage,  I think that space that was not on TCAD was a major selling point.  A split unit for the garage sounds like a definite possibility after I get all my other shit done.

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

What do you need a vacuum pump for with the pre-charged? It sounds like you just bought a mini split not the diy kit. Lol

4 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Did you not get a precharged unit? Those don't require vacuuming. If not and vacuuming required, you will need adapters.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

I know it isn't very surly, but you could take a peek at the instructions.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

What do you need a vacuum pump for with the pre-charged? It sounds like you just bought a mini split not the diy kit. Lol

Yeah, it's a pre-charged unit. 

Yeah, I looked at the instructions, particularly the part of the instructions that discuss HOOKING A FUCKING VACUUM TO THE SYSTEM

The fucking thing is pre-charged, but not pre-connected.  The lines have air in them.  Air has moisture. Moisture isn't good for the system.   

7 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Yeah, it's a pre-charged unit. 

Yeah, I looked at the instructions, particularly the part of the instructions that discuss HOOKING A FUCKING VACUUM TO THE SYSTEM

The fucking thing is pre-charged, but not pre-connected.  The lines have air in them.  Air has moisture. Moisture isn't good for the system.   

That defeats the entire purpose of pre charged DIY units. No one just has a fucking vacuum pump laying around 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

The lines have air in them.

Do they have snap together connections? If so, they are charged (meaning refrigerant, not air is in them) already. You won't lose enough to make a difference connecting them unless you are a total spaz. You are making this harder than it is and the reason shitty ac contractors exist.

Edited by RPM

Do they have snap together connections? If so, they are charged (meaning refrigerant, not air is in them) already. You won't lose enough to make a difference connecting them unless you are a total spaz. You are making this harder than it is and the reason shitty ac contractors exist.

Flared connections
bed08347b95474af19eee4f41e014f08.jpg

28 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Flared connections
bed08347b95474af19eee4f41e014f08.jpg

IMO I'd return that one and get one with a pre-charged line set.  All your problems in your mini split are right there at that connection. If not done 100% correct you'll run into issues later on.  The pre-charged take all that risk out of the DIY installation.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Salesman?  At Home Depot?  

I bought the only Mini Split that Home Depot stocks.  It comes in two boxes.  The lines are included.  Why would I buy another set of lines for $300 that don't fit the unit that I bought?

56 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Salesman?  At Home Depot?  

I bought the only Mini Split that Home Depot stocks.  It comes in two boxes.  The lines are included.  Why would I buy another set of lines for $300 that don't fit the unit that I bought?

Uh idk cuz that's what you fucking do when you diy otherwise you have to spend money or labor to install it like you are now? 

You didn't even try to talk to the associates there? They are extremely helpful. Good luck DIY installing your basically not DIY job at all mini split. Lol you just made it infinitely harder. 

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

You can rent them from plenty of places. Like Home Depot.

actually, my home depot rental center doesn't have them, but the local auto parts store loans them out for free (with a cash deposit). 

17 minutes ago, immamac said:

Uh idk cuz that's what you fucking do when you diy otherwise you have to spend money or labor to install it like you are now? 

You didn't even try to talk to the associates there? They are extremely helpful. Good luck DIY installing your basically not DIY job at all mini split. Lol you just made it infinitely harder. 

i can buy a vacuum pump outright for 1/3 the cost of the precharged RV line set that you linked. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, immamac said:

I'm not looking to get in a slapfight with Imma, but WTF?   I don't think that there is a single department, with the possible exception of Garden, where I don't know as much, or more, than the average HD employee.  Sure, sometimes there's a guy in his late 60's working in plumbing, and you figure that the guy was a plumber that pissed his money away and now he's too old to work the trade so he's at HD, but they are few and far-between.  My HD has one guy in paint that REALLY knows his shit, but the rest may as well be working the tampon aisle at walmart. 

Mostly, I'm Hank Hill at MegaLoMart, looking for a tap and die set and some WD40.   "DO YOU KNOW WHAT A HAMMER IS? WHERE THE HELL DO YOU KEEP THE HAMMERS?"  I've overheard many a HD employee giving somebody advice, and I've called bullshit and given the customer the correct answer.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Have any trouble with the connections?

Nope.  I sprayed them down with soapy water and all is good. 

6 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

@Gil Bang did I is where you shared the mfg, model, and size?  Would be interested if you don’t mind.  And how big of a room are you cooling off with it?

Room is about 425 sf with 10' ceilings.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hessaire-DIY-22-5-SEER-12-000-BTU-Wi-Fi-1-Ton-Ductless-Mini-Split-Air-Conditioner-and-Heat-Pump-Variable-Speed-Inverter-115V-H12E1/315698888

• 8 months later...