Raise a toast to the Crawford, AR Sheriff's office. So brave, such heroes

Gil Bang

29 minutes ago, Nivek said:

My understanding was that we have less free time than in the past.  All this access did was chain us to our work for longer hours.   Of course I also agree that we choose some of the chains (insert Fight Club/Trainspotting rants) but we are also bombarded with ads like never before shifting us into some of the behaviors.  We have watched housing, health care, and education skyrocket while wages are relatively static.  This constant neglect is not sustainable.  

There were no weekends for workers prior to this century. Farmers certainly work hard. Until the industrial age, there was a great deal of time taken up just securing food. On the other hand, the day ended with sunset, so there were evenings that may have been freer.

Another thing available prior to now for Americans and much of the west was a simple life. You could walk most places. Your material needs were relatively few. The notion of someone other than the very wealthy needing a closet for clothes was unknown. Of course, you could die of measles, never make it out of childhood, do manual labor until your body broke.

It's not a simple formula. We are driven to have things and entertain ourselves which require money. I'm not immune. I'm big into escapism incuding spending so much time here. At least here, there is an exercise for the mind and things to learn.

As close as I ever got to a simple life was, oddly enough, in LA when I lived there. I always lived near places to shop and eat. I had a tiny garage apartment that rented for less than $600 a month. I sorta loved it. I was living cheap because of the career risk I chose. Poverty does get to you.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

At what point does believing interacting with cops is life threatening become the reasonable person’s conclusion? And we know how much latitude that reasonable belief gives an individual.

For me it was 25 years ago when 16 yr old me was held against the back of my Ford explorer by my neck for pulling into the suicide lane and stopping. Fuck cops. I avoid them like the plague.  

3 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

For me it was 25 years ago when 16 yr old me was held against the back of my Ford explorer by my neck for pulling into the suicide lane and stopping. Fuck cops. I avoid them like the plague.  

As do I. My children were taught firefighters were who one calls in an emergency, that any threat or problem was to be described as a fire. 

• Hook 'Em 2