Summer Sausage

Royalfan5

Doesn’t appear we have a thread for this. Any other enthusiasts here? Besides family recipes, do you folks have a commercial preference? I usually buy Wimmers if I’m getting store bought, but will branch out. My back up lunch always is a summer sausage, smoked cheddar, and horseradish sandwich on a Kaiser roll. 

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I have sticks of venison summer sausage in my freezer. I think his processor sucks. He uses that nasty deer processor cubed cheese. I like sausage. Like cheese. I don’t like cheese in my sausage.

I'm with you in wanting my cheese and sausage separate. Gives you the chance to use much better cheese.  

It's one of my go-to choices at the deer processor.  I get mine made at Austin Hot Sausage Co. on E. 11th (love that place).  I get a lot made, it's a great thing to give away to friends and clients.  And yeah, cube it and crisp it in a pan or over a fire, dip in any sort of hot/sweet mustard, and it's awesome.  But cold, sliced thin on a cracker with yella mustard is also damn fine.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's one of my go-to choices at the deer processor.  I get mine made at Austin Hot Sausage Co. on E. 11th (love that place).  I get a lot made, it's a great thing to give away to friends and clients.  And yeah, cube it and crisp it in a pan or over a fire, dip in any sort of hot/sweet mustard, and it's awesome.  But cold, sliced thin on a cracker with yella mustard is also damn fine.

A plate of sliced summer sausage, cheese, crackers, mustard and pickled okra.  You will need an extra roll of toilet paper. 

• Like 1

Doesn’t appear we have a thread for this. Any other enthusiasts here? Besides family recipes, do you folks have a commercial preference? I usually buy Wimmers if I’m getting store bought, but will branch out. My back up lunch always is a summer sausage, smoked cheddar, and horseradish sandwich on a Kaiser roll. 

Have you tried on a French boule?

Take a look around this website, I highly recommend. I use their seasonings etc in everything from goose to deer to pork to beef. They have a great selection and I’ve not had a bad one yet. Their customer service kicks ass too.

https://waltons.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2

I like a nice platter for a football game or similar. Summer sausage, pepperoni, smoked ham, smoked turkey, hoop style or rat sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss or provolone, pickled onions, peppadew pepper, good olives, spicy bread and butter pickles, dill pickles, honey mustard, hot mustard. Can skip the crackers.

11 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Also not summer sausage just regular sausage, but this stuff is delicious..spacer.png

Granzin's was my go-to once I moved to Central Texas.  LOVED the dried smoked sausage.  They changed the casings about 5-6 years ago.  Not sure if they were natural before, but the more recent variety is definitely the artificial type.  They keep much longer, but don't have the snap of the old style.  

For summer sausage, I remember my dad always getting a decent amount from his processed deer at Midway in Katy.  It was awesome.  Opa's and Granzin's both make decent summer sausage as well.  Slovacek's is my favorite from HEB.  

2 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Granzin's was my go-to once I moved to Central Texas.  LOVED the dried smoked sausage.  They changed the casings about 5-6 years ago.  Not sure if they were natural before, but the more recent variety is definitely the artificial type.  They keep much longer, but don't have the snap of the old style.  

For summer sausage, I remember my dad always getting a decent amount from his processed deer at Midway in Katy.  It was awesome.  Opa's and Granzin's both make decent summer sausage as well.  Slovacek's is my favorite from HEB.  

If you’re lucky enough to pop a nilgai, Hiblers does good stuff. spacer.pngspacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1