Week Zero - Big Ol'Ugly Is Better Than Big'Ol Nothin'

closetojumping

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

SFA vs Jacksonville State at 2:30 on ESPN, too. I expect pretty big things from the Jacks this year. Axe 'em!

In this context, are "the Jacks" the Lumberjacks, or Jacks State? I assume the Axe'em means SFA. If so, sure, all for them and might catch some of it. I've known plenty of good coworkers and hot females that are SFA alums. 

Saturday, August 27, 2022

MATCHUP
TIME
TV

2046.png&w=40&h=40&scale=crop&cquality=4Austin Peay
11:00 AM
CBSSN

@  77.png&w=40&h=40&scale=crop&cquality=40&Northwestern
11:30 AM
FOX

304.png&w=40&h=40&scale=crop&cquality=40Idaho State
  @  2439.png&w=40&h=40&scale=crop&cquality=4UNLV
2:30 PM
CBSSN

@  328.png&w=40&h=40&scale=crop&cquality=40Utah State
3:00 PM
FS1

@  356.png&w=40&h=40&scale=crop&cquality=40Illinois
3:00 PM
BTN

2184.png&w=40&h=40&scale=crop&cquality=4Duquesne
  @  52.png&w=40&h=40&scale=crop&cquality=40&Florida State
4:00 PM

ACCN

6:00 PM
CBSSN

50.png&w=40&h=40&scale=crop&cquality=40&Florida A&M
7:15 PM

ACCN

@  2638.png&w=40&h=40&scale=crop&cquality=4UTEP
8:00 PM      
9:00 PM

ESPN2

@  62.png&w=40&h=40&scale=crop&cquality=40&Hawai'i
9:30 PM
CBSSN

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In this context, are "the Jacks" the Lumberjacks, or Jacks State? I assume the Axe'em means SFA. If so, sure, all for them and might catch some of it. I've known plenty of good coworkers and hot females that are SFA alums. 

SFA. They should be a damn good team, massive improvements under Carthel. Xavier Gibson is an amazing/talented WR. Tre Self has a canon. The defense I hope is fast and hits hard. 

• Hook 'Em 2

So what's the upside to the Ireland game?  The NFL I sort of get - there's exposure to the NFL overseas and they are trying to get that guy in London or Mexico City or whatever to want to buy a cowboys jacket and tune in every Sunday when the Cowboys are back in the US of A.

College football isn't as accessible overseas outside of streaming platforms.  Is the thought here that people in Dublin are suddenly going to become rapid Nebraska fans?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

UNT/UTEP will be the best game this weekend

It’s a shame that game will be broadcast on Stadium TV. It deserved ESPN2 over Nevada New Mexico State. UTEP has also sold a near sell-out number of tickets to that game, so it would have been fun to show on national television. Oh well

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

*Timmy Chang

I don't know, I think I like Tommy Chang better. I plan on using my version of his name whenever I can this season.

2 minutes ago, ermahgerdhorn said:

So what's the upside to the Ireland game?  The NFL I sort of get - there's exposure to the NFL overseas and they are trying to get that guy in London or Mexico City or whatever to want to buy a cowboys jacket and tune in every Sunday when the Cowboys are back in the US of A.

College football isn't as accessible overseas outside of streaming platforms.  Is the thought here that people in Dublin are suddenly going to become rapid Nebraska fans?

I don't know, but I assume it's an attempt to expand the reach of CFB into places where it could develop roots in the future. Europe is the obvious choice for that. I know teams have played in both Ireland and London before, and Ireland, at least, has asked the US to return. I think Ireland might become a regular thing. From the east coast, it's a 6 hour flight, same as heading to the west coast, so I don't know if it's that big of a deal for east coast teams. Obviously NW and UNL aren't east coast teams so point doesn't hold with them, but that's all I got.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know, I think I like Tommy Chang better. I plan on using my version of his name whenever I can this season.

I don't know, but I assume it's an attempt to expand the reach of CFB into places where it could develop roots in the future. Europe is the obvious choice for that. I know teams have played in both Ireland and London before, and Ireland, at least, has asked the US to return. I think Ireland might become a regular thing. From the east coast, it's a 6 hour flight, same as heading to the west coast, so I don't know if it's that big of a deal for east coast teams. Obviously NW and UNL aren't east coast teams so point doesn't hold with them, but that's all I got.

Don’t forget the Stanford v Rice game that was played in Australia. That flight was a little bit longer 

10 minutes ago, ermahgerdhorn said:

Nebraska is trying to set up a Dublin to Lincoln pipeline.

52 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

SFA vs Jacksonville State at 2:30 on ESPN, too. I expect pretty big things from the Jacks this year. Axe 'em!

I'm consistently impressed with the athletics success at SFA considering how small their budget is.  And the handful of alums I've met from there are good people.  So that makes is sadder for me to hear they are going hard to the paint to join the A&M System next year.  Probably the right move for them for a number of reasons, but they had a cool thing going being the only truly independent university in Texas.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I'm consistently impressed with the athletics success at SFA considering how small their budget is.  And the handful of alums I've met from there are good people.  So that makes is sadder for me to hear they are going hard to the paint to join the A&M System next year.  Probably the right move for them for a number of reasons, but they had a cool thing going being the only truly independent university in Texas.  

I’m an alum. I think (and hope) they go with Tech - they unfortunately have little choice. 

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

How the fuck is it that we're 6 days from legitimate college football and not one of you miscreants has posted a thread on the matter? Christ. 

Because we’re clearly preoccupied with more important matters like: “EDGE” vs “edge” vs “E”

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I’m an alum. I think (and hope) they go with Tech - they unfortunately have little choice. 

Why do you say they have little choice? I thought they have offers from all of the State of Texas systems, including UT System.

3 minutes ago, pacman said:

Why do you say they have little choice? I thought they have offers from all of the State of Texas systems, including UT System.

Oh I meant joining a system - not Tech specifically.  

UT won’t happen (Tyler), the Texas state system won’t (they know how it doesn’t help much), A&M to me would be too close to CS really. Tech could use a ET presence - they have zero. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'd trade 100 Christmas days for 1 first day of college football. Not even close 

Oh - trust me - I get it. The older I get the lamer holidays get. But how is week 0 better than week 1? Give me the actual start of the season.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, pacman said:

They have a good deal of choice.  Ultimately it's up to their Board of Regents.  And of course it's up to one of the other systems to make them a good offer.  I would be very surprised if it doesn't come down to A&M system and Tech system, but I wouldn't count out Texas State just yet.  UNT and UT just mentioned thinking about them to be nice.  But it's just maths at this point, despite there being many more schools in the A&M system versus Tech, the A&M endowment small share to SFA would be significantly more than anything Tech could do for them financially.  Geography, overlap or university missions, and athletics will also play large roles.  

But for payday purposes, A&M's the obvious choice.  If the Tech allotment to SFA would like look anything like what they give to Angelo State...it's not close.  If you're not named TTU or one of the medical centers, the Tech endowment is not much.  A&M-CC or Tarlton State would be comparable at A&M System to share money.  And it'd be more.  A&M System's funding for their little, goofy offshoot schools like Texarkana, Killeen, Round rock, san antonio is kinda of a hinderance though to the other former standalone schools in their system, so maybe that's the wild card.  

Anyway, here's to college football and SFA not become more Aggie-like if they go that route..

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Oh - trust me - I get it. The older I get the lamer holidays get. But how is week 0 better than week 1? Give me the actual start of the season.

#1 CFB is easily my favorite sport with CBB being a distant 2nd so I don't have any real interest in sports from early April to the last weekend of August. I'll watch some soccer, but that's about it.

Fucking a 7 after two weeks without fapping is much more rewarding than a 9 five hours after fapping. Also, I really don't give a shit about blueblood status or whatever so a sold out UNT @ UTEP sounds absolutely fantastic right now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

North Texas @ UTEP: Seth Littrell is a shit head okie and an easy guy to root against. I wish him and the Mean Green much failure while he's there. Disturbingly, he seems like a decent coach and he's taken them bowling 5 out of 6 seasons, losing all 5, and doing so TWICE! when they had losing records going into the bowl game. UNT returns a solid QB and plenty of other starters. Dana Dimel is neither dead nor is he Canadian, which surprised me. And he apparently took UTEP bowling last year. I wonder if this guy is still fucking coeds on pool tables in the on-campus bar? Not a bad gig if you can get it, I guess. This should be one of the better games of the week with UTEP also returning plenty and playing at home. Gimme UTEP 21, UNT 17. 

I am incapable of associating UTEP football with anything else. Is this broad still prowling the hillside tossing off UTEP fans? Does she put in the offseason work to finish a guy to completion? 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This. Week 0 is Christmas eve, and you get to pull just one item out of the stocking. Week 1 is actual Christmas where you get to open all your presents.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

*Timmy Chang

Tommy Chong

27 minutes ago, RabidM said:

We should play at Hawaii in week zero sometimes.  Easy win and the players get to go to Hawaii. It's like a preseason bowl game.   

e First Meeting Last Meeting Games Win % Wins Losses Ties Average Score
Any 1995 1995 1 1.000 1 0   38.00 17.00
Edited by Bullneck

26 minutes ago, RabidM said:

We should play at Hawaii in week zero sometimes.  Easy win and the players get to go to Hawaii. It's like a preseason bowl game.   

That's what Arizona thought...of course Arizona is currently an underdog to an FCS team this year so maybe that isn't the best analogy.

20 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

This. Week 0 is Christmas eve, and you get to pull just one item out of the stocking. Week 1 is actual Christmas where you get to open all your presents.

Well, you aren't wrong.

7 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Don’t forget the Stanford v Rice game that was played in Australia. That flight was a little bit longer 

Individual Game Results of Stanford (vs Rice), 1869-2021

Date   Opponent (record) Result Score Site
8/26/2017 vs. Rice (1-11) W 62 7 @ Sydney, Australia

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Nebraska v. Northwestern in Dublin, IRE: They love America and Americans, in my experience, and they think American Football is akin to one of the sports endemic to their country, I forget the name of it, so it's not a bad mash-up. I'd love it if Texas opened against Notre Dame there one year.

I think the sport you are thinking about is Gaelic football which is a cross between American football, soccer and Rugby.  I happened to be in Dublin in 2006 as last leg of bar trip and there was a huge Semifinal being played that weekend. Partied with locals pregame and scalped tix and it was a phenomenal experience and really cool sport.  What I didn't appreciate until talking to despondent Dublin fans about it the next day was it was also an all time game (#5 top game of this century according to this list at least: The 10 best football games of the millennium - Irish Mirror Online ).  Agreed Texas opening there against Notre Dame would be an absolute must attend event.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Austin Peay @ Western Kentucky: I legitimately cannot feign knowing a gosh damned thing about either one of these teams outside of the fact that the younger Helton brother is the HC at WKU and he replaced his shit-hot OC that is now at Tech with a descendant of Fatty Arbuckle. So, yeah, give me WKU over AP, 41-7.

Not that it will matter in this game because WKU will be way too much for them but Austin Peay's HC is wunderkind Scotty Walden and Walden is a name people should get familiar with if you like to track up-and-comers. When he got the Peay job Walden grabbed Josh Cochran from Mack's UNC support staff and after a weird covid season where Peay played half their schedule in the spring - he was elevated to OC last season. Cochran has since joined McGuire's Tech staff as well under shit-hot Kittley and is proving to be a damn good recruiter and is also a name to keep track of. 

• Hook 'Em 4