Best Divorce album

GhostOfTomJoad

So you’re saying Kelly is going back on the market?

Tunnel of Love is a good one, and autobiographical, because Bruce’s marriage was falling apart during the making of that album.

I like Darkness on the Edge of Town. Not all songs are relevant, but songs like the title track and Racing in the Street were in heavy rotation during my divorce.

And speaking of Phil Collins, I don’t know about albums, but Throwing It All Away is a great divorce song.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know the story behind Marvin's album (ordered by a judge to record it & his ex was to receive all of the profits), but was it any good? I thought he intentionally put out a shitty album so she wouldn't get rich off of it.

Not really a "divorce" album, but definitely a relationship roller coaster album, Del Amitri's "Change Everything" was a solid look at the various phases of love. "Always the Last to Know" is a deliriously good pop song about cheating on your lover.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I know the story behind Marvin's album (ordered by a judge to record it & his ex was to receive all of the profits), but was it any good? I thought he intentionally put out a shitty album so she wouldn't get rich off of it.

Generally panned at first, but now considered to be an underrated classic by some.  It's not What's Going On (not much is), but I wouldn't call it shitty.  When Did You Stop Loving Me is one of my favorite MG songs, for example.  The emotions are definitely raw on that album, so it can be a tough listen at first.  I always thought one of the most interesting facts relating to it was that Anna Gordy considered suing for invasion of privacy after it was released.  That says a lot, IMO.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I would argue that Love is Hell is a better divorce album from Ryan Adams than Heartbreaker but that's splitting hairs.

There is a definitive answer to this subject though, albeit from a relatively unknown artist...

William Fitzsimmons- The Sparrow and the Crow

Disclaimer: Maybe don't watch these if you're actually in the middle of a divorce that you don't want.

Edited by TexasHooch

On 8/24/2022 at 10:45 AM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Not really a "divorce" album, but definitely a relationship roller coaster album, Del Amitri's "Change Everything" was a solid look at the various phases of love. "Always the Last to Know" is a deliriously good pop song about cheating on your lover.

That is one of my favorite albums.  It's jam-packed with hook after hook.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Tom Petty Wildflowers (already posted) is the first that comes to mind.

The other one that jumps to mind - mainly because it was my personal divorce album - is True Sadness by The Avett Brothers.  It was released in May 2016, the same year my first wife and I divorced. I wouldn't call the whole thing a divorce album, per se, but it's definitely for all of the Seth Avett songs, as he had just gone through it. I pretty much listened to it non-stop that year.

There is, of course, "The Divorce Separation Blues", which is obviously pretty on the money, but this song, in particular, gave me all of the feels at the time:

Edited by oSuJeff97

On 8/23/2022 at 7:55 PM, BrickHorn said:

Tragic-Kingdom-DoubtI-think-I-could-stil

My favorite story about this --

So I had this friend in college who smoked like a chimney. God only knows how many packs this dude fired down every day.

Our junior year, he decided that he really needed to quit and so he did. A few months after he quit, we're driving down the road going wherever in Stillwater and "Don't Speak" comes on the radio.

We're just sitting there listening to it and about halfway through the song - he just says (very seriously and with a total straight face), "You know... when I hear the lyrics to this song, I feel like it's my cigarettes singing to me..."  I was fucking dying. 

You and me
We used to be together, everyday together
Always, I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend
I can't believe this could be the end

It's so hilariously perfect and dead-on... I think about that every time I hear that song to this day.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:
That is one of my favorite albums.  It's jam-packed with hook after hook.

The Ones That You Love Leave You Nowhere never even tracked. But that song would be a career for 50 bands at least

SHIT.  I'm thinking of "Twisted".  Great band, though.

rs-144887-914cf260c74a3e1db68ded5fa879c3

"us" by peter gabriel was a gigantic processing of his divorce from jill.  not much veiling of it either starting with the album cover.  "come talk to me," "digging in the dirt," "love to be loved," "only us," "washing of the water" are all pretty straight forward...processing the therapy and the end of the relationship.

but i have always loved that he finished it with "secret world."  such a great and powerful song after the journey through the rest of the album.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sidis said:

rs-144887-914cf260c74a3e1db68ded5fa879c3

"us" by peter gabriel was a gigantic processing of his divorce from jill.  not much veiling of it either starting with the album cover.  "come talk to me," "digging in the dirt," "love to be loved," "only us," "washing of the water" are all pretty straight forward...processing the therapy and the end of the relationship.

but i have always loved that he finished it with "secret world."  such a great and powerful song after the journey through the rest of the album.

Following up, for anyone that has been to couples’ therapy. 

12 minutes ago, MAROON said:

The Road to Ensenada by Lyle Lovett.  Post Julia break-up album

I love almost everything he's ever released, but that one has a special place in my heart.  It's just a little more burnished, a little more lonely.  What a songwriter.

• Like 3

I mean, yeah, it's Julia Roberts:

This Georgia road is red
The Georgia sky is blue
And it looks just like the day
That carried me to you
Oh, the good Lord up in heaven knows
What I've been going through
And he's whispering to me
That I'll get over you

My angel in distress
You look OK to me
I'll send you my address
When I know what it will be
I could easily stay with you
On your side of heaven's door
'Cause I don't love you any less
But I can't love you anymore

Furk.

On 8/26/2022 at 10:30 AM, Nuge said:

The album "Strange Tails" by Lord Huron was the soundtrack of my divorce. 

It's not an album about divorce, per se, but of loss and regret.  Things I felt acutely when I was in the middle of it.

One of my favorite bands. Strange Trails came out a few years before my divorce, but I saw them play at Moody Theater right in the middle of my divorce for their Vide Noir tour. They closed with The Night We Met, and I bawled like a little bitch during the entire song. 

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I love almost everything he's ever released, but that one has a special place in my heart.  It's just a little more burnished, a little more lonely.  What a songwriter.

It’s a great album, and one that brings me back to law school, because it came out around that time and I had it on heavy rotation.

When things with Mrs. Bullneck #1 were unravelling back in 1995/6 I was away on a work assignment and listening to Achtung Baby and Zooropa.  

There's a few songs like "The End of the World" and "Who's Going to Ride Your Wild Horses" and "Daddy's Going to Pay for Your Crashed Car" that won't make you feel any better.

What I really needed back then was Oasis.

Edited by Bullneck

On 8/28/2022 at 7:39 AM, Bullneck said:

When things with Mrs. Bullneck #1 were unravelling back in 1995/6 I was away on a work assignment and listening to Achtung Baby and Zooropa.  

There's a few songs like "The End of the World" and "Who's Going to Ride Your Wild Horses" and "Daddy's Going to Pay for Your Crashed Car" that won't make you feel any better.

1. Play "Columbia"

2. Turn volume up to 11

3. Add whores and cocaine

4. ????

5. Profit

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/28/2022 at 7:39 AM, Bullneck said:

I was coming here to mention Achtung Baby, as most of is about The Edge's divorce at the time. He would later recover nicely with the belly dancer from the ZooTv tour. 

There is a funny quote by Bono to the effect of "I can't believe how many people come up to us and say One was their wedding song. Don't they read the lyrics?!?" 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

There is a funny quote by Bono to the effect of "I can't believe how many people come up to us and say One was their wedding song. Don't they read the lyrics?!?" 

Sting's said the same thing about the thousands of people who've told them that Every Breath You Take--a tale of a creepy, possessive stalker--was their wedding song. Might as well play Under My Thumb.

39 minutes ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

It's damn near a perfect song.  Incredibly well-written and most consumers pay no attention to the topic.