Ski Season 2022 / 2023

texasdago

Now that it is winter in Austin, its a good time to think about ski season.  Our delayed March 2020 trip will now be taking place in March 2023.  Our hotel has been sitting on a nice 700 Euro deposit and its time to go use it, not to mention I "may" (we'll see if they honor it or not) have a fat credit with ski guides and a credit with rentals for the family.  SO... fly into Geneva and head to Montgenevre.

The town is linked to the Via Lattea so with about 260 Euro for 6 days, you have access to 6 ski towns and I think you get one day at Serre Chevalier which looks kick ass.  We'll stay in Montgenevre which is supposed to be most snowsure and has tons of off piste.  Booked in 2019, finally taking it in 2023.  Sheesh.

On a positive note, not being able to take this trip allowed me to finally experience Crested Butte and, man, I didn't realize what I was missing.  What a great mountain!

image.thumb.png.2bc217fa7647bb384922e01af466e579.png

image.thumb.png.c7fbbb7ff663d6b9b83cad7ef0f0c4b0.png

image.thumb.png.eb3a169127130718af84c3fe927e7113.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Last year was an odd year for snow... the end of the season the snowpack just took a beating quickly.  Crested Butte did pretty well last season but it seemed like the day we left, God decided winter was over.  A-Basin and Winter Park were melting before my eyes last May unlike 2019 which were amazing.  Early season forecasting should be good, though.  Definitely want to do Telluride one day - never been.  Looks amazing.

From what I understand, a lot of it is lift served to a point and then hike-to but if you've ever skied in Europe, much of the terrain is above tree line with designated pistes so often times its easy to hop off the piste and drop in somewhere or take a traverse over and then hit lines.  Some may be hike-to terrain. 

Look at the top map and then read this from Powderhounds and you'll see what I mean...

"The off-piste has soooo many awesome & easily achievable options. Freeriders will love the ’mini Alaska-like’ fluted spurs coming off the perfect Le Chalvet ridge (even have random hoodoos thrown in for good measure). The chutes, bowls & trees on the backside of Serre Thibaud is wonderful (try to avoid the protected wildlife habitat – it is well signposted). The couloirs, bowls & trees accessible from the high border crossing at the top of the Roche de l’Aigle chair ……… the list goes on."

Source: https://www.powderhounds.com/Europe/France/Montgenevre.aspx?template=Resort_ResortRatings

Getting a couple of $199 4-packs to Loveland. Best value in CO. No big crowds and cheap beer. Simply drive up, put on your boots and jacket in the parking lot, then go. Leave the house at 815a and on the lift by 9a.
I'm guessing you haven't been up I-70 recently if you think you can get there in 45 min on a weekend I've got a bridge to sell you.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
6 hours ago, 6th Street said:
Getting a couple of $199 4-packs to Loveland. Best value in CO. No big crowds and cheap beer. Simply drive up, put on your boots and jacket in the parking lot, then go. Leave the house at 815a and on the lift by 9a.

I'm guessing you haven't been up I-70 recently if you think you can get there in 45 min on a weekend I've got a bridge to sell you.

Must be starting from Idaho Springs 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
22 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Oh agree 100% on Saturdays the 70 is a shit show. I try to do Friday or Sunday for that reason. And then leave before 3p before the real traffic hits.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/27/2022 at 9:13 AM, Mo Horn said:

About 12 of us are going to Steamboat Springs in January. We don't ski, and are too old to start, but about 2/3 of the group do so they'll do that everyday. Any tips for non-skiers? Snowshoeing, hiking, other things to do? 

Go up to the actual springs and take a dip. I would recommend doing it at night. I think you need 4-wheel drive to get up there, but I may be mistaken. It is def worth looking in to. I am not sure if there is some sort of service that can pick y'all up and take you, but it is gorgeous, and the star gazing/nudity is top notch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Good timing.  Have an 8 and 4 year old and we are booking Park City for next Spring Break.    
I was a pretty good skier in college but life got in the way and it’s been 20 years.  Still, I want kids to learn.  Wife probably can’t ski due to prior injury so plan is to put kids in a three day school, go to a one day school myself, then just see how it goes.  Wife can do spa, we can all do snowmobiles one day, etc.  Anyway, I think I have the logistics worked out but curious if there is a “better” ski school for the kids in Park City to try to join as I’d prefer to stay close to that   

We have a few AirBNB options - one near where the alpine coaster is and one a 5 minute walk from Town Lift.   I am familiar with Vail but know fuck all about Park City and want to avoid rookie mistakes.  

TIA.  

6 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Good timing.  Have an 8 and 4 year old and we are booking Park City for next Spring Break.    
I was a pretty good skier in college but life got in the way and it’s been 20 years.  Still, I want kids to learn.  Wife probably can’t ski due to prior injury so plan is to put kids in a three day school, go to a one day school myself, then just see how it goes.  Wife can do spa, we can all do snowmobiles one day, etc.  Anyway, I think I have the logistics worked out but curious if there is a “better” ski school for the kids in Park City to try to join as I’d prefer to stay close to that   

We have a few AirBNB options - one near where the alpine coaster is and one a 5 minute walk from Town Lift.   I am familiar with Vail but know fuck all about Park City and want to avoid rookie mistakes.  

TIA.  

The kids ski school at Grand Summit is really good, so I've heard. I stayed at The Grand Summit, but did not take any lessons. There is also a parking lot further down the mountain that can take y'all up to the Grand Summit hotel.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

TIA.  

We're going to Park City for Thanksgiving this year. We've done it with the kids like 4 of the last 6 years. I've never skied and it is not an ambition or bucket list item for me, but I love snow and cold weather. My wife skis a bit and we've put our kids in the Park City Mountain program each time we go and they've done well and love to ski. It was a pretty easy drop-off and pick up if you go the day you get there and get the equipment figured out in advance of the first morning drop-off. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I also have never had any reason to consider a change. My 4 kids, between 7 and 12 now, are all competent to excellent skiers and I credit the work they've done there for it. 

As to AirBNBs, my wife is our trip planner and we travel a ton and she's great at putting everything together. For PC, she uses Park City Rentals and every house we've ever stayed in has been the balls. YMMV and the rentals have never been for the cost-conscience, but throwing it out there for you if you're still looking. They present options and you can negotiate, and they stock groceries and so forth.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/27/2022 at 9:13 AM, Mo Horn said:

About 12 of us are going to Steamboat Springs in January. We don't ski, and are too old to start, but about 2/3 of the group do so they'll do that everyday. Any tips for non-skiers? Snowshoeing, hiking, other things to do? 

Go to Back Door Grill.  Best burgers/food in Steamboat.

https://www.thebackdoorgrill.com/

Everything there is absolutely delicious.  Go check out the springs Northwest of town. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Go to Back Door Grill.  Best burgers/food in Steamboat.

https://www.thebackdoorgrill.com/

Everything there is absolutely delicious.  Go check out the springs Northwest of town. 

Is that strawberry? I was just reading about that today. Is snowmobiling a thing there? If so, I assume they can be rented. 

Going to Santa Fe to ski the week after Christmas.  Which is an extremely cheap trip.  Stay in my uncle's guest house in Las Campanas, SW flight to Albuquerque, use his spare vehicle, and ski school plus lift tickets, rentals and lunch is like $130 a day per kid.  Adult lift tickets are cheap.

Going to Aspen for Spring Break.  Which will be the opposite for cost. I like the average them out.

I quit drinking in April and have been working out religiously since then, so I am in the best shape I've been in since law school.  Looking forward to skiing hard this year.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Is that strawberry? I was just reading about that today. Is snowmobiling a thing there? If so, I assume they can be rented. 

Correct.  It's a cool place.  I believe there are 7 or so different springs that go from warm bath water to f'ing hot.  Start at the bottom and slowly make your way up.  It's very neat.  It's isolated so you can really see the stars as well (no light pollution from nearby towns).

I never did snowmobiling but I'm sure there is.  My mom owned a place in Steamboat for 4 years and we'd visit there many times per year.  It's a great little town.  Pizza place called How Ya Doin' is absolutely phenomenal too:

https://www.howyadoinpizzaneatz.com/grub

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We're going to Park City for Thanksgiving this year. We've done it with the kids like 4 of the last 6 years. I've never skied and it is not an ambition or bucket list item for me, but I love snow and cold weather. My wife skis a bit and we've put our kids in the Park City Mountain program each time we go and they've done well and love to ski. It was a pretty easy drop-off and pick up if you go the day you get there and get the equipment figured out in advance of the first morning drop-off. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I also have never had any reason to consider a change. My 4 kids, between 7 and 12 now, are all competent to excellent skiers and I credit the work they've done there for it. 

As to AirBNBs, my wife is our trip planner and we travel a ton and she's great at putting everything together. For PC, she uses Park City Rentals and every house we've ever stayed in has been the balls. YMMV and the rentals have never been for the cost-conscience, but throwing it out there for you if you're still looking. They present options and you can negotiate, and they stock groceries and so forth.

Park City is fantastic.  And it's so easy to get to from any major Texas airport.

On the Park City trip @closetojumping good for you for getting your own lesson.  I've been skiing since I was five... every year I put in at least one day of instruction.  It helps me fine tune and it often gives me clear line of sight and intelligence on the mountain.  Unfortunately in the US private lessons are exhorbitant BUT I've found advanced/expert group lessons are often small groups... the one I took at CB as a level 8ish, I was the only one who showed up so I received a full-day private lesson.

@Johnny Sack curious to hear about Santa Fe.  I'm tempted to load up the family truckster and go to SF after Christmas.  Even just a couple of days making turns would be good for me plus there are other things to do there.  I know snow reliability is always an issue despite the elevation but I love the idea of Ski Santa Fe right above town. 

12 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Any of you skied Andorra or anywhere else in the Pyrenees? Seems like it would be a great year to ski Europe with the Dollar doing so well. Have done Gstaad and Innsbruck (Stubai)

Had an Irish friend recommend it recently.  Very much a great value, from what I've heard.

From what I know and have experienced, affordable vs least affordable is probably...

• Bulgardia, Slovenia and/or Andorra (can't speak from experience)
  • Italy
  • Austria/France (depends where... places like Montgenevre can be a massive value whereas Courchevel is on the higher end)
  • Switzerland

If you can afford Gstaad, I think you'll spend half the trip talking about affordability. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, txduck87 said:

We typically go to breck for spring break. Wanting to mix it up a bit this year as breck continues to get more and more crowded . Anyone ever skied Crested Butte? Looks alike a neat town with a damn good mountain. Leaning towards giving it a try. Pros ? Cons?

Crested Butte - first trip last year.  LOVED IT.

a) We loved stayed at the Grand Lodge.  Its not as grand as it sounds but it is walking distance to the lifts and you can keep your gear slopeside.  Has a pool outdoors.  

b) Tons to do in town - great ski town, much more authentic and more affordable than towns like Breck, Vail, etc.

c) Never felt overly crowded save for Red Lady Express during peak hours.  Get up to the top with Silver Queen and then avoid Red Lady.

d) Mountain has to thaw out a bit in the morning - once the snow softens, the top of the mountain and all high lifts are glorious.  I would love to go back and do Banana to Funnel.  Lots of good stuff off of the High Lift and North Face Lift. 

e) CB is rocky... best snow will be in March, especially for the top of the mountain.  Watch for sucker snow covering rocks.

f) I bought Epic Day passes last year that covered CB and Keystone.  My 5 day pass came out to something like $68-70/day

g) if you come off of The North Face and go over to the run that takes you to Rambo and Pinball, props to you if you have the balls to drop into Rambo from the ledge.  I didn't.  Pinball was much more palatable and not as butt-puckering.  Apparently locals drop into Rambo from the woods somewhere.  If you look over from the edge, you can't really see the run but you can see people at the bottom waiting to see if you are going to drop in and eat it allllll the way down.

Looking into Hard Slab from the traverse by the High Lift...

image.thumb.png.8e1a12a1b6793cd13b7468778346a397.png

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Crested Butte - first trip last year.  LOVED IT.
a) We loved stayed at the Grand Lodge.  Its not as grand as it sounds but it is walking distance to the lifts and you can keep your gear slopeside.  Has a pool outdoors.  
b) Tons to do in town - great ski town, much more authentic and more affordable than towns like Breck, Vail, etc.
c) Never felt overly crowded save for Red Lady Express during peak hours.  Get up to the top with Silver Queen and then avoid Red Lady.
d) Mountain has to thaw out a bit in the morning - once the snow softens, the top of the mountain and all high lifts are glorious.  I would love to go back and do Banana to Funnel.  Lots of good stuff off of the High Lift and North Face Lift. 
e) CB is rocky... best snow will be in March, especially for the top of the mountain.  Watch for sucker snow covering rocks.
f) I bought Epic Day passes last year that covered CB and Keystone.  My 5 day pass came out to something like $68-70/day
g) if you come off of The North Face and go over to the run that takes you to Rambo and Pinball, props to you if you have the balls to drop into Rambo from the ledge.  I didn't.  Pinball was much more palatable and not as butt-puckering.  Apparently locals drop into Rambo from the woods somewhere.  If you look over from the edge, you can't really see the run but you can see people at the bottom waiting to see if you are going to drop in and eat it allllll the way down.
Looking into Hard Slab from the traverse by the High Lift...
image.thumb.png.8e1a12a1b6793cd13b7468778346a397.png

Fantastic! Thanks for all the great intel. I’m convinced! Booking today.

Hook ‘em

Sunday River in Maine.  We went there for a golf trip last weekend.  I have never been skiing on the east coast but that looks like place worth trying.  2340' of vertical.  Really good trail layout.  Doubt it is crowded at all.  Owned by the same folks who own Big Sky and Stowe.  They are doing a TON of new real estate development and ski enhancements including a 8 person lift.  We talked to a couple from Boston who said they just bought some real estate for a home and they love it because it is low key and they don't get a lot of New Yorkers.  Gotta love the NYC v. Boston hate 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/2/2022 at 11:50 AM, texasdago said:

If you get some kind of an Epic Pass, you usually get discounts on lodging, lessons, rentals, etc.  

Learn me on the Epic Pass because the website is confusing and when I called, I got a South Asia call center.  If I buy the Epic Season Pass (or a 5 or 7 day pass), is that good to cover lift tickets as well?  It's unclear to me, but it's a good deal for us, because if we go to Park City in March and Vail in the summer, we can use the pass in Vail for the rides on the mountain in Vail and Breck,   It just seems like the lift ticket cost may be on top of that?      

5 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Learn me on the Epic Pass because the website is confusing and when I called, I got a South Asia call center.  If I buy the Epic Season Pass (or a 5 or 7 day pass), is that good to cover lift tickets as well?  It's unclear to me, but it's a good deal for us, because if we go to Park City in March and Vail in the summer, we can use the pass in Vail for the rides on the mountain in Vail and Breck,   It just seems like the lift ticket cost may be on top of that?      

So, I've only purchased the pass I described above... I'm not familiar beyond buying a Day Pass but I bet someone here can provide insight on how it applies in the summertime.  I do know that when we used the Epic Pass, we were able to get discounts on all kinds of ski-related items that were through the resort (in our case CB)

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Booked Feb 2 - Feb 7 in Steamboat flying direct from HOU through Denver.  Taking my wife and son and meeting my mom up there.  Didn't get to go last year but definitely looking forward to it this year.  Can't wait to get on the mountain.

I was at Steamboat earlier this year and had a blast. My only regret was not doing enough leg exercises before the trip because those trails wiped me out. Thank god for hot tubs.

Just now, HRSchenker said:

I was at Steamboat earlier this year and had a blast. My only regret was not doing enough leg exercises before the trip because those trails wiped me out. Thank god for hot tubs.

Yeah, I don't know how you fuckers come up here and just ski for 5 straight days.  I workout 5 days a week and live at altitude.  I only have roughly a half day of hard skiing in me before my legs turn to jelly.

4 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Earlier this year for ski season or hiking? 

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, I don't know how you fuckers come up here and just ski for 5 straight days.  I workout 5 days a week and live at altitude.  I only have roughly a half day of hard skiing in me before my legs turn to jelly.

I'm not planning on skiing 5 straight days at all.  Probably 3 and a half days.  I'll probably spend the first day getting my wife re-acclimated to skiing then hit the slopes hard for a few days.  The last day will probably be a slow day with the 6 year old after he grasps some stuff from ski school.  This will be the second time my wife has been skiing and she got it pretty well the first time with only a half day lesson.  She went up to the top of the mountain with me a few times after that on her first trip to steamboat.

I plan on just taking one of the days off and just hanging around the town.  My wife is training for a marathon that's about 3 weeks prior to this trip so she'll be in even better shape then than she is now and I'm also training for a half marathon.  I've never had an issue with skiing endurance.

• Hook 'Em 1

I usually like to do 5-6 days but I can't say it is a full day each day.  Normally days 4-6 are when everything "clicks" just right so I like having extra days to get everything working properly.  Day one is always a bit of a mental adjustment but good.  Day 3 is almost always my "off" day.  I'm just excited that my youngest is progressing in that the next place we visit, at least in the main resort, I think he will be able to tackle quite a bit of the mountain.  We'll see.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

I usually like to do 5-6 days but I can't say it is a full day each day.  Normally days 4-6 are when everything "clicks" just right so I like having extra days to get everything working properly.  Day one is always a bit of a mental adjustment but good.  Day 3 is almost always my "off" day.  I'm just excited that my youngest is progressing in that the next place we visit, at least in the main resort, I think he will be able to tackle quite a bit of the mountain.  We'll see.

Unless it's a powder day, I love to show up around noon and ski hard until 3 or 4.  WP tends to empty out around 2, so you get no lines for the last hour or two.  And you can usually snag a parking spot right up front from someone who showed up early and wanted to beat traffic back to Denver.  I don't think I could do an entire day of skiing bumps and trees and I have no desire to cruise groomers.

• Hook 'Em 2

Park City the last 4 years, always stay right at or next to the Town Lift.  Cant beat the location; earlier this past Feb, we stayed in the Condo attached to the town lift, rented our ski right there.  The Condo had locker right inside the door off the lift, couldnt have been more convenient, plus there is ticket counter there as well.  Year 1 we stayed at the base, but it was too noisy at night , so the last 3 years our family of 5 has opted for a condo downtown.  Garbage trucks are noisy, but cant beat the walkability of the Main St and Park Avenue.  Wife doesnt ski, so she treks around town all day. 

The great thing about PC is you really dont need a car; very close to SLC, and there is a great free shuttle system between the Canyons, PC base, Town Lift and Deer Valley.  We like PC b/c you really can hit 3 mountains in one easy trip; Deer Valley, Park City and the Canyons.  PC and the Canyons are connected by a series of Gondolas and lifts and makes for a challenging, fun day to go from Town Lift to Canyons and back.  Cant say enough good things about the skiing, customer service and ski school.  Pricey, though may not be in the Aspen/Vail/BC range. 

Deer Valley was something else.  Felt like skiing in a country club; very exclusive, not crowded, lots of lift workers keeping lines moving, assisting with directions etc...its more expensive than PC.  Not the easiest to navigate, but overall a very postive experience.  Friends on the trip with us opted for a house in Deer Valley and we had a gathering with them and 2 other families.  Their house was amazing and would have fit 3 full families, its just a matter of preference; i dont like logding with other families on expensive trips like PC/Deer Valley (rando weekend at the gulf, no problem, but when 10K+ is being spent, i prefer to be solo with my crew).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/12/2022 at 12:26 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Earlier this year for ski season or hiking? 

I'm not planning on skiing 5 straight days at all.  Probably 3 and a half days.  I'll probably spend the first day getting my wife re-acclimated to skiing then hit the slopes hard for a few days.  The last day will probably be a slow day with the 6 year old after he grasps some stuff from ski school.  This will be the second time my wife has been skiing and she got it pretty well the first time with only a half day lesson.  She went up to the top of the mountain with me a few times after that on her first trip to steamboat.

I plan on just taking one of the days off and just hanging around the town.  My wife is training for a marathon that's about 3 weeks prior to this trip so she'll be in even better shape then than she is now and I'm also training for a half marathon.  I've never had an issue with skiing endurance.

Skiing in January

On 9/12/2022 at 1:19 PM, Chewbacca said:

Interesting you bring that up.  I workout year round, pretty much so I can ski.  I’m no body builder,  but goblet squats and traditional squats, running and core work is a must for my 52 yo body in order to ski bell to bell on a  3-4 day trip. I’ve got 3 teens to keep up with. Quad, glutes, Lats, shoulder and Biceps all get fried during a hard ski day. I 100% stay away from moguls but give me as steep as you can get. Love the long narrow runs along a cat trail with a view. Best way to spend a day  

5 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Interesting you bring that up.  I workout year round, pretty much so I can ski.  I’m no body builder,  but goblet squats and traditional squats, running and core work is a must for my 52 yo body in order to ski bell to bell on a  3-4 day trip. I’ve got 3 teens to keep up with. Quad, glutes, Lats, shoulder and Biceps all get fried during a hard ski day. I 100% stay away from moguls but give me as steep as you can get. Love the long narrow runs along a cat trail with a view. Best way to spend a day  

LOL... exactly why I work out but especially since I blew my ACL so I have no choice but to keep everything working well.  I'm all about full body workout splits... upper twice a week, lower twice a week... definitely mixing in goblet squats, step ups, 1 leg RDL. occasional landmine work, barbell hack squats, plyo (especially as I get closer to the trip), balance work, etc.  All good stuff.  I'm fine with moguls and somehow my knees and legs will keep up but I think my bigger issue is, at times, the altitude... I can handle it, I just need breaks.  Taking the bootpack up Wally's Wide at A-Basin was doable for me at 11K+ but I just had to take my time up.  THAT worked my legs like a mother, though.