Ski Season 2022 / 2023

texasdago

6 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Interesting you bring that up.  I workout year round, pretty much so I can ski.  I’m no body builder,  but goblet squats and traditional squats, running and core work is a must for my 52 yo body in order to ski bell to bell on a  3-4 day trip. I’ve got 3 teens to keep up with. Quad, glutes, Lats, shoulder and Biceps all get fried during a hard ski day. I 100% stay away from moguls but give me as steep as you can get. Love the long narrow runs along a cat trail with a view. Best way to spend a day  

Yeah, if I'm not skiing bumps I can do a whole day, easy.  It just doesn't interest me to ski groomers.

• Hook 'Em 1

I will ski or board half a day, and drink beer the other half. I am really just trying to enjoy myself and not get hurt. Since i am usually by myself, this usually works out great. The 6 yr old may be trying to ski with me this year, which has me so excited. It would be nice to have a partner on the mountain. Hopefully the 5 yr old gets bit by the ski bug this year and craves it like her sis. She did not last year. The more they talk abt it, the more likely I am at getting an annual family trip to the mountains.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, texasdago said:

LOL... exactly why I work out but especially since I blew my ACL so I have no choice but to keep everything working well.  I'm all about full body workout splits... upper twice a week, lower twice a week... definitely mixing in goblet squats, step ups, 1 leg RDL. occasional landmine work, barbell hack squats, plyo (especially as I get closer to the trip), balance work, etc.  All good stuff.  I'm fine with moguls and somehow my knees and legs will keep up but I think my bigger issue is, at times, the altitude... I can handle it, I just need breaks.  Taking the bootpack up Wally's Wide at A-Basin was doable for me at 11K+ but I just had to take my time up.  THAT worked my legs like a mother, though.

Love it!! Keep grinding man. Skiing is my all time fav

5 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

I will ski or board half a day, and drink beer the other half. I am really just trying to enjoy myself and not get hurt. Since i am usually by myself, this usually works out great. The 6 yr old may be trying to ski with me this year, which has me so excited. It would be nice to have a partner on the mountain. Hopefully the 5 yr old gets bit by the ski bug this year and craves it like her sis. She did not last year. The more they talk abt it, the more likely I am at getting an annual family trip to the mountains.

I’m beer guy. But of all the beers i drink in a year , that first beer in condo or in the hot tub after a gnarly day on the mountain is about the most satisfying part of my vacation.  That feeling of a cold beer once you strip off the gear, let those muscles stretch …man other than a cold one when the horns have the W in hand , is about as good as it gets for this old guy. 

i remember last feb hopping in to the hot tub , wife and 3 daughters were shopping… I had my bose music , 3 beers and a view, after a long day shredding….pure heaven 

On 8/31/2022 at 10:53 AM, LonghornJones said:

Go up to the actual springs and take a dip. I would recommend doing it at night. I think you need 4-wheel drive to get up there, but I may be mistaken. It is def worth looking in to. I am not sure if there is some sort of service that can pick y'all up and take you, but it is gorgeous, and the star gazing/nudity is top notch. 

Strawberry Park. No glass bottles, and take a flashlight. 

On 8/27/2022 at 9:13 AM, Mo Horn said:

About 12 of us are going to Steamboat Springs in January. We don't ski, and are too old to start, but about 2/3 of the group do so they'll do that everyday. Any tips for non-skiers? Snowshoeing, hiking, other things to do? 

We took a guided snowmobile trip near Rabbit Ears Pass. Not great, definitely not bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

I’m beer guy. But of all the beers i drink in a year , that first beer in condo or in the hot tub after a gnarly day on the mountain is about the most satisfying part of my vacation.  That feeling of a cold beer once you strip off the gear, let those muscles stretch …man other than a cold one when the horns have the W in hand , is about as good as it gets for this old guy. 

i remember last feb hopping in to the hot tub , wife and 3 daughters were shopping… I had my bose music , 3 beers and a view, after a long day shredding….pure heaven 

I don't drink much beer at all anymore.  But I agree on the beer after taking off your boots and sitting on the tailgate.  It's magical.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2022 at 12:18 PM, texasdago said:

This is what I came here looking for. When my kids were young we’d always  go to Angelfire because it was cheap and it chaps my ass to pay big mountain prices when they’d only ski the same little runs over and over. But one year we got burned badly with lack of snow at AF and vowed never to do NM at Spring Break again.  The last few years we’ve gone to Wolf Creek because the families we travel with had a free condo in Pagosa. But I’m tired of driving up that mountain every day. 

This year the girlfriend and her kid are going which rules out driving in one car. So I’m looking into places we can fly into. Hoping to avoid I-70 and rental cars.  Spring Break. 

With 5 of us I don’t see how this will cost less than $10k.  I’d rather have smaller crowds and good convenience than epic terrain. We all snowboard blues all day, doesn’t take much to keep us happy on the snow. 

Where else should I be looking? 

2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

This is what I came here looking for. When my kids were young we’d always  go to Angelfire because it was cheap and it chaps my ass to pay big mountain prices when they’d only ski the same little runs over and over. But one year we got burned badly with lack of snow at AF and vowed never to do NM at Spring Break again.  The last few years we’ve gone to Wolf Creek because the families we travel with had a free condo in Pagosa. But I’m tired of driving up that mountain every day. 

This year the girlfriend and her kid are going which rules out driving in one car. So I’m looking into places we can fly into. Hoping to avoid I-70 and rental cars.  Spring Break. 

With 5 of us I don’t see how this will cost less than $10k.  I’d rather have smaller crowds and good convenience than epic terrain. We all snowboard blues all day, doesn’t take much to keep us happy on the snow. 

Where else should I be looking? 

I really enjoyed Crested Butte last year and it actually wasn't too bad for blues for my intermediate family members... from what I remember... it was kind of like... a reasonable amount of greens and blues, not a ton of blacks and a lot of amazing double-diamond terrain.  Crowds last year were manageable, staying on the mountain was reasonable at The Grand Lodge.  BUT... flying into Gunnison is not cheap.  We had good snow last year and the extreme terrain was 100% open.  Purgatory might be good but, again, flights... snow is better than New Mexico although it may be a lean year... blues not as good at Purgatory from what I remember.  Why not something by Tahoe (?).  Heavenly is a pain for snowboarders, though.  Lots of catwalks.

8 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Hadn’t even thought about Tahoe. That’s a good idea to look into. I’ve skied Heavenly before and loved it. Way before kids. Purgatory a couple of times too. Good suggestions, thanks.

I think Heavenly is included in the Epic Day Pass... if you pick 4-6 days with the option to not include Telluride, Breckenridge, etc, the lift ticket prices should be decent.  I believe this pricing scenario covers Heavenly although Epic Pass Prices may have ticked up since then... 

edit: not embedding properly.  See post #36

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Hadn’t even thought about Tahoe. That’s a good idea to look into. I’ve skied Heavenly before and loved it. Way before kids. Purgatory a couple of times too. Good suggestions, thanks.

SLC and the Big Cottonwood Canyon areas.   Tons of knuckledraggers at Brighton.  Solitude is great.  Stay in SLC and take the ski bus

Heading to Heavenly Jan 4-8. Got a epic season local Tahoe pass for me for $500, kids were $400 and $350. Last year we went and it was ~$650 for 5 days for me and ~$500 for 4 days for the kids so I just bit the bullet and got the epic passes and hope to make a second trip in March/April.

I lived there for a year and hope to retire near there in a few years. Boys can do blues now and you can ski most of the day on the Nevada side and never do the same run twice.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 9:23 PM, blacklab said:

Heading to Heavenly Jan 4-8. Got a epic season local Tahoe pass for me for $500, kids were $400 and $350. Last year we went and it was ~$650 for 5 days for me and ~$500 for 4 days for the kids so I just bit the bullet and got the epic passes and hope to make a second trip in March/April.

I lived there for a year and hope to retire near there in a few years. Boys can do blues now and you can ski most of the day on the Nevada side and never do the same run twice.

I've heard Heavenly is pretty icy.  Is that true?  I've only been in summer.

Ice is relative though. It's often so much warmer in Tahoe than elsewhere we usually go so it never seems that bad. Yes, that can melt and freeze overnight, but it's not, oh, Lake Louise in February. Usually it's not bad.

It's been too long since I've been to Heavenly. Personally I thought it was a bit chopped up and an oddly laid out mountain by the views as well as dinner at Himmel Haus by far make up for it. 

For Park City, we've often stayed in the middle between PC and Canyons, and used the free and convenient bus service to move around, as well as head into downtown for dinner. It's true that you really do not need a car there. On the Canyons side, the bus stop drops you off at the Cabriolet gondola, which takes you up to the base village - another 20 steps and you're at the main gondola. No steps with ski gear - wish more places did that. We preferred the Canyon side of things, but at the time we were limited to average to challenging blues, so that area fit the bill. Would like to go back as it's such a nice relaxed trip there both from the airport and when you get there. 

We're headed back to Whistler this year after a two year hiatus due to all the COVID mess, and I can't wait. 

4 hours ago, zman13 said:

I'm thinking greater Nagano area. 

I've done some research and it seems doable. I'm hoping for some personal experiences, tips, general ideas. 

Is there something drawing you to Nagano?

You could go to island lake lodge for the cost of a Japan trip.  

18 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Is there something drawing you to Nagano?

You could go to island lake lodge for the cost of a Japan trip.  

Hoping for a Japan trip in early 2023. May want a side trip to go snowboarding. The trip isn't just for snowboarding, but if the snowboarding is good enough, why not go try it out? 

2 hours ago, zman13 said:

Hoping for a Japan trip in early 2023. May want a side trip to go snowboarding. The trip isn't just for snowboarding, but if the snowboarding is good enough, why not go try it out? 

We have friends who went skiing in Japan and they loved it.  Said it dumped snow on them.  Plus visiting Japan is kick ass. I would totally do it if I were you.  

Check out https://www.powderhounds.com/japan.aspx

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Saw this posted recently.  Don't think I'll have these kinds of snow levels but it sounds like catching Santa Fe with great conditions makes for an amazing day... 

Great footage. Snow boner. One of my favorite small mountains when it dumps, and honestly favorites overall when snow is adequate. Easy to get around, easy to get back to the ski school and sleeping at lower elevation is Fucking awesome.
The locals will be out in force on a good dump, but it holds pow pretty well. And Texans mostly hit only the lower mountain groomers, so once you get past the first lift, lines are pretty non-existent. Small but varied terrain. Probably skied/ boarded it 60 days going back to college weekend trips. (Leave Friday, Make class Monday -ah to be young.)
Last trip we got 24", work North Burn/ Gayway until it gets tracked out, then hit Big Rocks, Tequila etc in the trees, Camp robber is my jamb on one plank if it's not too deep. Flying and floating through the trees. Just don't go too far right and force a hike out. Been there.
The cave/ice fort used to be a happening scene off Camp Robber back in the day after hours. They even had a gas grill. Not sure if the new lift fucked that up.
Pretty much always free weed on a cold day in the shack on Big Rocks lol. Met a hot ski chick there back in the day and she skied circled around my ass.

Good times.

I have yet to do the backcountry route off the back of the Mountain to Big Tesuque parking lot, but a lot of locals love it. They are pretty fucking quiet about it too.

Blown ACL in May has me sitting this season out, may take my kiddo at Spring Break and snowshoe if we don't go to Wolf Creek instead. He converted to one plank and has the sickness. Going back will motivate me in PT/ Gym for sure. Will my knee ever feel right, furk.

Lastly, I've only seen one big group of aggies at SF once, we started booing the whole call and response of Hullabaloo Caneck caneck crap on the lifts, and the booing caught on and that stopped that shit. Perhaps they forever slinked off to safer confines in Ruidosa and Red River, and if so, you are welcome for our efforts.

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

Great footage. Snow boner. One of my favorite small mountains when it dumps, and honestly favorites overall when snow is adequate. Easy to get around, easy to get back to the ski school and sleeping at lower elevation is Fucking awesome.
The locals will be out in force on a good dump, but it holds pow pretty well. And Texans mostly hit only the lower mountain groomers, so once you get past the first lift, lines are pretty non-existent. Small but varied terrain. Probably skied/ boarded it 60 days going back to college weekend trips. (Leave Friday, Make class Monday -ah to be young.)
Last trip we got 24", work North Burn/ Gayway until it gets tracked out, then hit Big Rocks, Tequila etc in the trees, Camp robber is my jamb on one plank if it's not too deep. Flying and floating through the trees. Just don't go too far right and force a hike out. Been there.
The cave/ice fort used to be a happening scene off Camp Robber back in the day after hours. They even had a gas grill. Not sure if the new lift fucked that up.
Pretty much always free weed on a cold day in the shack on Big Rocks lol. Met a hot ski chick there back in the day and she skied circled around my ass.

Good times.

I have yet to do the backcountry route off the back of the Mountain to Big Tesuque parking lot, but a lot of locals love it. They are pretty fucking quiet about it too.

Blown ACL in May has me sitting this season out, may take my kiddo at Spring Break and snowshoe if we don't go to Wolf Creek instead. He converted to one plank and has the sickness. Going back will motivate me in PT/ Gym for sure. Will my knee ever feel right, furk.

Lastly, I've only seen one big group of aggies at SF once, we started booing the whole call and response of Hullabaloo Caneck caneck crap on the lifts, and the booing caught on and that stopped that shit. Perhaps they forever slinked off to safer confines in Ruidosa and Red River, and if so, you are welcome for our efforts.

Hey... that's really good insight.  I can't wait to see what I'll find in a month... I keep telling myself I have +/- 30 days for the base to build up because I want to check out that upper terrain.  I'll be skiing by myself so I'll probably keep myself somewhat in check and, in part, because like you I don't have an ACL.  Yeah, I've probably said it 1000 times so just do the PT and whatever it takes and you'll be back on the slopes.   Get your insurance to buy you a bad ass brace... it will give you peace of mind.

I like your comment about Texans - totally true... I'm sure its worse in New Mexico although I've never skied NM.  Definitely saw that at Purgatory where the front side was mobbed over while you could run laps on the bump runs on the backside. 

Thanks!  Good stuff...   

Hey... that's really good insight.  I can't wait to see what I'll find in a month... I keep telling myself I have +/- 30 days for the base to build up because I want to check out that upper terrain.  I'll be skiing by myself so I'll probably keep myself somewhat in check and, in part, because like you I don't have an ACL.  Yeah, I've probably said it 1000 times so just do the PT and whatever it takes and you'll be back on the slopes.   Get your insurance to buy you a bad ass brace... it will give you peace of mind.

I like your comment about Texans - totally true... I'm sure its worse in New Mexico although I've never skied NM.  Definitely saw that at Purgatory where the front side was mobbed over while you could run laps on the bump runs on the backside. 
Thanks!  Good stuff...   
Hope it dumps this year, they need the snowfall and that mountain really gets odd years of snowfall when its dry elsewhere and can be a lot of fun.

Real talk I've had to go to Wolf Creek more often in the last few years but the last time I did WC last minute piviot SF got more snow by a lot , and I drove right through SF to WC

have Park City (Canyons side at Grand Summit) and Angel Fire (rando cabin) booked this year.  

the place at Canyons is super convenient with a lift ~20 ft from the back doors.  Main gondola is ~2 min walk away.  You can 'ski' to the Park City side but is mainly riding short lifts to a gondola to get there.  I think it's actually faster to take the bus most times.  Busses were hit or miss at lift close times at the end of the day though when we ended the day on the PC side.  Going to be trying out some new Burton step-in bindings for the snowboard.  I'm getting too old to bend down and strap in every time so hoping these are better.  

We did AF last year so we could drive and take the doggo (loves the snow) and it went from ghost town to record crowds by the weekend.  Hopefully they have more of the mountain open during the week.  it's a tiny mountain compared to the bigger CO resorts, but OK for a long weekend.

On 12/4/2022 at 8:57 AM, RichUT said:

Has anyone been out to Whitefish or Big Sky? We’re debating those spots for a March trip with our teenagers.

I have skied Big Sky 5-6 times in last 3 years and still havent seen/skied more than 50% of the resort.  Huge place - any terrain you want.  Big, wide and long cruiser Blue runs if you are into that to the Headwaters  terrain which can get really spicey and everything in-between.  Fly into Yellowstone airport in Bozeman/Belgrade and it is about an hour drive.  They have had sketchy snow the last few years but this year may be their year!  Huge dumps have occurred weekly and the base is looking really awesome!  It is never crowded.   Being close to Yellowstone NP, we have booked side excursions to include snowmobiling in park to see Old Faithful and also backcountry skiing excursion inside of the park as well-seeing the park in the dead of winter is surreal - less animal watching but absolutely amazing contrast of scenery from the summer scene.    If you stay closer to Bozeman,  I love to ski Bridger Bowl - local hill that has serious terrain where most of local Bozeman skis and their are some amazing skiers there....great place to ski 20 minutes from downtown Bozeman which is why most locals choose to ski there instead of driving the Gallatin canyon to Big Sky....

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

Boarding Vail, Breck, and Keystone in a few weeks. Buddy (a skier but he’s a good shit) who lives in CO said the resorts have been getting tons of snow this year relative to last year. Always looking forward to a trip to the mountains! 

Yep.  Early season snow has been really good.  WP got 11 inches last night.  Bummed I can't make it up for another week or so.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 9:23 PM, blacklab said:

Me(55) and my oldest son (34) (I have written about him and his exploits here and on TOS) will be heading up to Tahoe Jan 5 -12 and staying with a friend of mine who has a place in Carnelian Bay a stones throw from Garwoods which is about equidistant from North Star and Palisades, so we will be hitting up those two places.

We have 2 day Epic Passes and 2 Day Palisades passes.  My son hasn't skied in 20 years, but was pretty good back in the day with very minimal experience.  He was bombing the blues all day long after a brief lesson from my twin brother.  Wondering if we should take a look at Heavenly? My friend thinks it's more of a place for locals and he is doing the driving, so I wonder how much I should insists if Surly says go v. other two places.

The last time I went skiing was back in march at the above two places after a 20 year break.  The mornings were OK, but my knees got sore in the afternoon slush.  I was onto the blues by day two, but they stopped being fun as the knees got worse.  I'm doing lots of twist lunges, squats, one leg balance exercises, and core work as well as hitting the bike to the tune of about 50 miles/week to try and avoid the knee pain, but am also wondering if a group lesson would also be a good idea? full day v. half day fro me and the boy/man.

My friend would gladly teach us but he is snowboard only.  He did a great job with my two teenagers(because they are too cool for skis) back in March on the snowboard teaching.

We plan on hitting Garwoods on the 7th (my birthday 56) for dinner and a couple of Wet Woody's.

Any recommendations for a middle aged skier with knee issues would be appreciated.

It's a pretty long hike from Carnelian to Heavenly, doubly so if the weather is bad.

Haven't done Palisades or North Star in so long I can't remember much. I'm 53 and my boys are 13 and 12 and have been skiing for 7 years. I lived at Heavenly for a year and became a good skiier, but I'm completely out of shape now. Heavenly has a bunch of blue runs that me and the boys can handle easily and it's near the casinos so it's my go to place.

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

It's a pretty long hike from Carnelian to Heavenly, doubly so if the weather is bad.

Haven't done Palisades or North Star in so long I can't remember much. I'm 53 and my boys are 13 and 12 and have been skiing for 7 years. I lived at Heavenly for a year and became a good skiier, but I'm completely out of shape now. Heavenly has a bunch of blue runs that me and the boys can handle easily and it's near the casinos so it's my go to place.

Now that I look at it, it is a ways over to Heavenly. Travel time will cut into drinking time.  Might check out the casino on one of our days off.  Thanks.