Ski Season 2022 / 2023

texasdago

2 hours ago, bluto said:

Booking stuff for SB in early march, scoping out rental gear and found ski and bike kare that’s literally half price of the regular steamboat site rentals. You familiar with them? Lift prices ain’t a joke there either. 

I haven't heard of ski and bike kare.  We rent from steamboatskiandbike.com (Steamboat Ski and Bike).  They have two locations, one at the base and one downtown.  We always rent from the downtown location as it's cheaper.

We also prepay for lift tickets and got a 20%(I believe) discount on them through our condo.  My most owned a condo there up until 2021 until she went full regard and sold it.  It was a ski in-ski out and sold it because it was "too small".  She regrets it.  She has an icon pass and will give it to my wife on days she doesn't ski.

I've been to various places across Colorado and New Mexico (Brek, Crested Butte, Purgatory, Angel Fire, Santa Fe, Winter Park, Frisco, Vail) and I always go back to Steamboat.  It's definitely my favorite.  I think this is my 4th time skiing in Steamboat and 7th time total up there.  Summers up there are even better than winter IMO.  Love it up there - definitely worth the extra 2.5 hour drive from Denver.  Luckily, we're flying straight in from Houston and my mom is picking us up at the airport.

12 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I haven't heard of ski and bike kare.  We rent from steamboatskiandbike.com (Steamboat Ski and Bike).  They have two locations, one at the base and one downtown.  We always rent from the downtown location as it's cheaper.

We also prepay for lift tickets and got a 20%(I believe) discount on them through our condo.  My most owned a condo there up until 2021 until she went full regard and sold it.  It was a ski in-ski out and sold it because it was "too small".  She regrets it.  She has an icon pass and will give it to my wife on days she doesn't ski.

I've been to various places across Colorado and New Mexico (Brek, Crested Butte, Purgatory, Angel Fire, Santa Fe, Winter Park, Frisco, Vail) and I always go back to Steamboat.  It's definitely my favorite.  I think this is my 4th time skiing in Steamboat and 7th time total up there.  Summers up there are even better than winter IMO.  Love it up there - definitely worth the extra 2.5 hour drive from Denver.  Luckily, we're flying straight in from Houston and my mom is picking us up at the airport.

Cool, actually same rental place I was referencing. Thx for feedback and please fire away with any recs (ski or non ski) for a group of ppl, families and ‘free’ adults, who’ve never been there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, bluto said:

Cool, actually same rental place I was referencing. Thx for feedback and please fire away with any recs (ski or non ski) for a group of ppl, families and ‘free’ adults, who’ve never been there. 

Couple of good places to get some food are Backdoor Bar & Grill and How Ya Doin Pizza & Eatz.  The pizza place is right next door to a local brewery.  I don't drink but I've heard a bunch of folks just grab a pizza and head over to the brewery.  Those two places will be visited multiple times by my family over the next week.

The actual springs are a cool place to visit too, especially during the winter.  I'm not sure how the road is up to the springs during the winter months (only visited them in the summer) but there's about 8 large pools of water that gradually get warmer.  If you go around 4PM or so and start, it'll be dark by the time you're in the warmest spring.  I don't think they allow kids after dark though as some folks ditch the clothes.

Heading out today from Steamboat. Skiing was great Friday and Sunday. We went out to the mountain yesterday and a storm had blown through. Wind blowing 30+ and about 15/20 degrees. Wasn’t fun for the 6 year old. Called it a day around 1:30 or so and headed back to the condo. Hit up How Ya Doin’ pizza north of downtown for dinner. Definitely a must go for those coming to steamboat. First pic is the “CBD” pizza. Second is their meats pizza. I think they call it “the smeatz”:

451BD997-A0EB-4FF5-90B9-E3DCBD85F420.png

F0FC6744-B06E-4764-A7F3-32C124F93927.png

Going to keystone at the end of the month. Any recommendations appreciated. 

The town is a bit sleepy after hours. We leaned into happy hours by the village base (the far one) where’s there’s bars and restaurants but mostly relaxed with cards by the fire at condo. Goat Soup & Whiskey Tavern was touristy solid. The bus system and parking leaves a lot to be desired, so get head around your plans there. Fun skiing, great family mountain.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Here's the official word from Steamboat's site:

https://www.steamboat.com/the-mountain/daily-snow

The guy who does this writeup fo0r Steamboat (Joel Gratz) is the guy who founded Open Snow.  My numbers come from Open Snow.

you right

Last snowfall:
* 11” Sunday Night to Monday Night (Feb 5-7)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Hire a guide dude.  If you're spending the money to go make turns only to putt around based on your own whims, you'll really be missing out on what's possible.  

Day one guide already hired.  180 Euro half a day.  Will most likely add a half day later in the week.  Also meeting a friend in Sestriere who knows the mountain well.

• Hook 'Em 1

taking off for a few days in Angelfire.  looks like they are getting 6" tonight.  Stopping in Lubbock halfway to spend the night w/ inlaws but may have to delay taking off early  Wed morning due to the storm.  Supposed to ski Th/Fr/Sa/Su.  Fr-Su look like fantastic days.  Have chains ready to go but hopefully the road crews do some work before hitting any rough patches.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/14/2023 at 12:53 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

taking off for a few days in Angelfire.  looks like they are getting 6" tonight.  Stopping in Lubbock halfway to spend the night w/ inlaws but may have to delay taking off early  Wed morning due to the storm.  Supposed to ski Th/Fr/Sa/Su.  Fr-Su look like fantastic days.  Have chains ready to go but hopefully the road crews do some work before hitting any rough patches.

made it in Wed night and Thursday turned out awesome after ~10in falling on Wed.  park was empty and thicc powder everywhere under a bluebird sky.  we were not used to skiing in that powder kids and i got stuck a few times

image.png.a0b9867623099512e32a73a0809d33ee.png

Friday was still not crowded and could find good snow fairly easy.  Kids did some 1/2 day lessons.  daughter is getting good at snowboarding

image.png.ba8f24fbda9e080699b107f9a3677e0a.png

Sat we got off right when the lift opened and ran as many as we could on the backside but the hordes were unleashed around 10:30 and 0-5 min lift lines went to 15-20.  Sunday was super crowded and there was no escaping 20+ min waits in line.  

I cannot recommend enough the Burton step-in bindings and boots for a snowboard.  they worked flawlessly and it took ~10 seconds to click in after getting off the lift.  no more bending over or sitting on my butt to strap in or make adjustments on the bindings.  Just find a relatively flat spot and then click in similar to a ski boot (but heel first) They are expensive but after testing them out for the first time, they are best thing i have ever purchased RE: snowboarding.  with some more practice i think i will be able to step in while moving off the lift. 

image.thumb.png.cc7c3fb6e2f1811eb8addfee70030166.png

• Hook 'Em 2

We’ve had at least one ski trip every year for the past 10 years. Thought this year would be our year to miss out due to having a baby, but we saw too many IG videos of badass powder days and we impulse booked this coming weekend in Telluride.

We will only ski one day but that’s enough to scratch the itch and Telluride is our domestic home away from home.

Give me some Brown Dog and a Tempter IPA, please and thank you. Maybe a long lunch at Bon Vivant with some runs down The Plunge to finish out the day. So excited.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, brown water said:

Circumstances conspired against getting a trip this winter and spring. We are thinking South America in early July. And wisdom y’all can share would be greatly appreciated. TIA

My family enjoyed Ski Portillo in Chile.  All inclusive place once you get there-excellent slopes and service - highly recommend going during Chilean wine week which is last week in July I believe.  Early July is early season so snow conditions may be questionable then....Ive heard good things about Valle Nevado - more of a do it yourself planning trip - Valle Nevado is on the IKON pass as well....

6 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

My family enjoyed Ski Portillo in Chile.  All inclusive place once you get there-excellent slopes and service - highly recommend going during Chilean wine week which is last week in July I believe.  Early July is early season so snow conditions may be questionable then....Ive heard good things about Valle Nevado - more of a do it yourself planning trip - Valle Nevado is on the IKON pass as well....

Portillo is on my ski bucket list... would love to stay there.  Talked to some friends last week who stayed there and said it was amazing.  Sounds like the Condor lift is an experience!

While Europe has taken a beating this year, thankfully where we're going is hanging in there... just had 8" of new snow yesterday and the base is allegedly sitting at 80" .  I so cannot wait.

The view from our room at Portillo looking out on Inca Lake and the famed Tres Hermanos in the distance - the rooms are well kept and comfortable but no luxuries- no tv in rooms for example EEAB965C-C1AF-4752-8B2A-B05726248A6E.thumb.jpeg.4e03d9a7fe2e52dcf4f1e618bd235e16.jpeg

steep terrain if you want it 

0B2CF0FF-8CD0-48D2-B18C-30B3B5AB3D6E.thumb.jpeg.0577590b0cf955116923dde358fbf924.jpeg

the hotel only sells week long stays and now what they call mini weeks (no day skiers) so it remains uncrowded and exclusive - breakfast, lunch, apres and dinner - they assign you a table and times for dining - very cool because you end up meeting a lot of folks from around the world including ski teams there from around the world train there- highly recommend

8B731A63-7DAA-46C8-9E34-DF75BA35AE80.thumb.jpeg.1713866199951eba8d6208d8dca23268.jpeg3FB58DE9-FE84-44CD-9734-2126C1EA173D.thumb.jpeg.b19eb977d54e47bcad83887087e1be6b.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

Pos rep and nice steeps.  Would be a dream... not to mention no TVs and hopefully crappy wi-fi would be a parent's dream.  

I checked out the prices out of curiosity... seems like for a family, it can add up.  But still.  That and Valle de Las Lenas would be amazing.

On 3/1/2023 at 6:38 PM, brown water said:

Circumstances conspired against getting a trip this winter and spring. We are thinking South America in early July. And wisdom y’all can share would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Why would you South America when you could new Zealand?  

On 3/2/2023 at 11:30 AM, JCHIL said:

The view from our room at Portillo looking out on Inca Lake and the famed Tres Hermanos in the distance - the rooms are well kept and comfortable but no luxuries- no tv in rooms for example EEAB965C-C1AF-4752-8B2A-B05726248A6E.thumb.jpeg.4e03d9a7fe2e52dcf4f1e618bd235e16.jpeg

steep terrain if you want it 

the hotel only sells week long stays and now what they call mini weeks (no day skiers) so it remains uncrowded and exclusive - breakfast, lunch, apres and dinner - they assign you a table and times for dining - very cool because you end up meeting a lot of folks from around the world including ski teams there from around the world train there- highly recommend

wow! that place looks amazing.  need to look into going skiing in summer now

Park City UT just got ~2 feet of snow.  Wish we were there this week, but next week looks pretty good as well, but not 20+ inches.  Flying out on Friday

Edited by gyroprotagonist

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I’ll shout muledick to everyone I see and hopefully over the course of four days one of those people will be you. 

I think we'll be pretty easy to spot, unless you just like yelling muledick to random people.

8 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

Copper on 14 & 15. Looks like some warm temps this weekend may cut back on the totals a little, but at least there is something in the forecast. Snow levels as high as 9,000' with this storm, but a lot of moisture which could surprise some mountains with some overproduction.

Snow has been good along I-70 past few days.  However, spent all day in back bowls yesterday and it was getting a little cooked.  Really warm today (40s).  Colder in Denver.

On 3/6/2023 at 8:17 PM, Upgrayedd said:

Can’t get to Mammoth, so Vail it is

2583068B-E3B9-4B54-97F8-7229DC9CFCCB.thumb.jpeg.2ee643d3bd548f3a5d62a2a674228429.jpeg

Sorry dude but the bumps over your lady's shoulder look nice and I don't mean hunchback.

BTW, have the same ski backpack... I use it to carry my skis on my back up bootpacks.  

26 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Sorry dude but the bumps over your lady's shoulder look nice and I don't mean hunchback.

BTW, have the same ski backpack... I use it to carry my skis on my back up bootpacks.  

That’s probably Campbells and Cow’s Face in the background.  They are fun.

It’s a great bag and I’ve done the same periodically when I want a sense of humility as my sea-level lungs watch kids blaze by me trucking up the track.  Bag gets more use carrying my water bladder, sandwich, two beers, and an extra layer tho 😎

First four days on my new Nordica Unleashed 98s.  Digging that ski.