Ski Season 2022 / 2023

texasdago

8 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

That’s probably Campbells and Cow’s Face in the background.  They are fun.

It’s a great bag and I’ve done the same periodically when I want a sense of humility as my sea-level lungs watch kids blaze by me trucking up the track.  Bag gets more use carrying my water bladder, sandwich, two beers, and an extra layer tho 😎

First four days on my new Nordica Unleashed 98s.  Digging that ski.

Same... usually water, some GoPro accessories and crap my kids don't want to carry but used it to take the boot pack up Willy's Wide at A-Basin.

Rocking Black Crows Orbs skis.  Putting em back to use next week! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Same... usually water, some GoPro accessories and crap my kids don't want to carry but used it to take the boot pack up Willy's Wide at A-Basin.

Rocking Black Crows Orbs skis.  Putting em back to use next week! 

Nice.  Hitting Squaw end of the month.  Mammoth in April and probably Memorial weekend.  

17 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Nice.  Hitting Squaw end of the month.  Mammoth in April and probably Memorial weekend.  

I'm trying to figure out how I can pull off a May trip to either location.  Usually end up at A-Basin or Mary Jane at Winter Park but, man, this is the year to hit up CA.

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

I'm trying to figure out how I can pull off a May trip to either location.  Usually end up at A-Basin or Mary Jane at Winter Park but, man, this is the year to hit up CA.

You’ll be able to hit Mammoth in either June or July most likely if you miss May.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/9/2023 at 7:10 PM, Upgrayedd said:

You’ll be able to hit Mammoth in either June or July most likely if you miss May.

The last big winter there in spring 17 I was crushing corn snow off the top double black diamonds in June wearing shorts and a long sleeve. Was actually nearly just as good as powder. 

• Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

The last big winter there in spring 17 I was crushing corn snow off the top double black diamonds in June wearing shorts and a long sleeve. Was actually nearly just as good as powder. 

Truth.  I know it may be unpopular, but I almost prefer spring corn to winter skiing (pow days excluded).  Sun.  Sleep in (let that sun get on it).  Warmer temps.  Soft bumps.  Gravity still works.  I’m in.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Truth.  I know it may be unpopular, but I almost prefer spring corn to winter skiing (pow days excluded).  Sun.  Sleep in (let that sun get on it).  Warmer temps.  Soft bumps.  Gravity still works.  I’m in.

That was the terrain off the T-Bars at Crested Butte last spring.  Once the sun softened it up, it was glorious.

10 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Somebody fell off the Quicksilver lift yesterday at Breck Peak 9. From pretty high up with serious injuries, from what we heard. 

I ended up with broken ribs and a concussion.  Broken ribs suck, but they really suck when you’re 5.  I was on a 2-chair with no pull-down bar, so it stopped, I was fiddling around with my poles, and out I went.  The Quicksilver has the pull down bar, so things had to get pretty stupid for someone to get ejected from that.

15 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Sticks fingers in ears/
" la la la lifts are super safe and my teenage son never does stupid shit."

Not just teens.  I have a good friend with a 30 year old son who is pretty messed up with a brain injury from an accident a month ago.  He was wearing a helmet.  Not sure exactly what happened.  Skiing/snowboarding can be dangerous but we still love it.  

• Like 1

Wrapping up spring break in Park City.  First time I’ve skied in 24 years and first time for my kids (wife passed on skiing due to recent surgery).  This place has killed it. We splurged on an AirBnb just up the stairs from 501 and Main on Woodside and brought our nanny for the 5 and 9 year old.  First day of ski school was a clusterfuck but we figured it out.  Have gotten to ski with both of my kids the last 2 days and it’s awesome.  

And it is like riding a bike (although don’t tell that to you quads and knees). I hit the peloton and did squats and lunges 8 weeks ahead of the trip and it still didn’t prepare me fully, but better than nothing.  Was doing blues again after a day and got some powder in Wednesday.  Just have to know I’m not 21 anymore and enjoy it.  Can’t wait to get back in the annual (or more) groove.

And if you have celiacs in the family like I do, the restaurants here are on point.  Just make reservations.   Like weeks in advance. 

we will be back. 

On 3/15/2023 at 8:46 AM, Your Mom said:

Somebody fell off the Quicksilver lift yesterday at Breck Peak 9. From pretty high up with serious injuries, from what we heard. 

On 3/15/2023 at 5:24 PM, Born to Run said:

Sticks fingers in ears/

No shit.  I was riding First Time lift in PC with my 5 year old today multiple times and his ass is at edge of seat leaning on bar watching the slope style course skiers and I just picture him slipping right through under the bar. 

Pure blue bird day here at heavenly. Very crowded as they had half the Nevada side closed. Was going down a very steep mogully run and ended up with people on either side and couldn’t turn to slow down. Hit mogul and fell hard on left shoulder. Skied another hour. Got back to car and couldn’t lift left arm. Went to hospital, X-rays showed torn ligaments, need to wear a sling for a month. Doc was not amused by my “can I ski tomorrow” question. 

Not just teens.  I have a good friend with a 30 year old son who is pretty messed up with a brain injury from an accident a month ago.  He was wearing a helmet.  Not sure exactly what happened.  Skiing/snowboarding can be dangerous but we still love it.  
Sticks fingers in ears/

Wrapping up spring break in Park City.  First time I’ve skied in 24 years and first time for my kids (wife passed on skiing due to recent surgery).  This place has killed it. We splurged on an AirBnb just up the stairs from 501 and Main on Woodside and brought our nanny for the 5 and 9 year old.  First day of ski school was a clusterfuck but we figured it out.  Have gotten to ski with both of my kids the last 2 days and it’s awesome.  

And it is like riding a bike (although don’t tell that to you quads and knees). I hit the peloton and did squats and lunges 8 weeks ahead of the trip and it still didn’t prepare me fully, but better than nothing.  Was doing blues again after a day and got some powder in Wednesday.  Just have to know I’m not 21 anymore and enjoy it.  Can’t wait to get back in the annual (or more) groove.
And if you have celiacs in the family like I do, the restaurants here are on point.  Just make reservations.   Like weeks in advance. 

we will be back. 
Thats awesome man!
I use ski and surf trips as motivation to stay in shape. I try and target ski workouts 3 months prior so I'm ready and have some muscle mass around my old ass knees. 8 weeks is ok, but 12 is optimal. Squats, lunges, split squats, wall sits, burpees, and general gym work . Dont forget Core Especially if you board. And of course cadio. Cycling is great.

I wasn't cleared to ski this trip due to knee surgery, but I'm in great shape due to all prep work and I snowshoed around 25 miles in three days at elevation. Not the same as downhill but my knees felt strong and altitude was a non issue.

Time to start shoulder training for surf trips this summer.
  • Like 1

No shit.  I was riding First Time lift in PC with my 5 year old today multiple times and his ass is at edge of seat leaning on bar watching the slope style course skiers and I just picture him slipping right through under the bar. 
I grabbed my kid by his jacket until he was 15 and have strict rules about not fucking around on the lift. Hit the camelback and enjoy the view
Buy no dicking around. No digging in the pack etc.

Bar down and hold the fuck on.

I'm well aware the risk, the lift is the only that bugs me, and only with my kid sans bar. Hate it.

WP got 6 soft inches today. My boy had a good time in the trees. Wait wut?

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

we will be back. 

Pics of nanny?

Will post pics soon from our ski trip... booked it 2019, cancelled it in the spring of 2020, tried rebooking it a couple of times and finally took it.

We stayed in Montgenevre, France but also skied into Claviere in Italy.   Did primarily Montgenevre and Claviere for four days.  Then hit up Sestriere, Sansicario and Sauze d'Oulx in Italy for a day and spent one last day in Serre Chevalier. 

Day one was snowy but I had a guide and we went freeriding and it was phenomenal. Lots of fresh tracks.  Next three days conditions were variable but they improved as the week went on and I knew how to read the mountain/snow conditions more effectively.

On day four, I tweaked my MCL (short stupid story) and I thought I would be screwed for days 5 and 6.  Was super pissed off since was going to ski Sestriere with a friend from a town near Torino BUT I woke up on day 5 with the knee feeling great.  Did not have to cancel it.  Charged it hard in the morning until we met up with their friend who is an instructor and alpine guide in Sestriere and then we charged it even harder.  An enjoyable ass kicking, TBH.  Of couse, the day was spent skiing hard but also eating/drinking Italian style on the slopes.

Day 6 was at Serre Chevalier... it was part of a our ski pass for a day and was worth it.  Barely scratched the surface of the resort.   Massive resort with great breadth of runs, lots of restaurants and light crowd.  Massive massive place for freeriding.  Really want to go back.  Definitely on my list for a longer visit.

Now, since its not spring break in Europe, most lift lines were sub one minute... longest one probably five minutes.  Most runs were pretty open but harder runs were barren wastelands.  Weather was relatively warm in the daytime so you just had to follow the conditions.  Sestriere probably held up the best and charging the Olympic and World Cup runs was awesome.  Six da ski pass worked out to about 40ish dollars a day and that included two days in the Via Lattea and one day in one of the following: Serre Chevalier, Les 2 Alpes, Alp de Huez, Puy St. Vincent or Bardonecchia.

My biggest regret...

My guide for the first day asked me if I wanted to go to La Grave which is one of those "once in a lifetime" ski destinations.  I told him I just needed to check our schedule but was definitely interested.  Private guide on La Grave would have been 370 Euro including transportation from Montgenevre.  BUT... when I tweaked my MCL, I opted not to do it.  Kind of pissed.  The place is legendary.  If I can get back to Serre Chevalier for a longer stay, I'm going to go all in on La Grave and maybe combine it with a separate day at Les 2 Alpes.

Anyway, pics to come.  Meanwhile, here is the massive French resort you've never heard of that you need to visit:

Serre-Chevalier_pistemap.jpg?1601556971

• Like 1

Almost home but damn I love skiing.  6 days on the slopes and after a couple of days rest I'm itching for more.  Ready to book a trip.

Top shot somewhere in the trees of Montgenevre with a guide.  Had nice fluffy snow and pillows everywhere. Fresh tracks aplenty.

Bottom is a slow chairlift coming from Sauze d'Oulx through Sansicario to get back over to Sestriere.  Europeans love skiing on pistes and spend lots of money on racing skis.  What you find is most will not freeride or go off piste because you are own your own.  So, the vast majority of the people freeriding are good at it and carry avalanche gear.  Given there is so much terrain above treeline, you have so many options at your disposal.  But... tree runs are great, too, thanks to great tree spacing and lots of options.

PXL_20230314_094923325.jpg

PXL_20230317_092242730.jpg

At the same time terrain like this in the wrong conditions can be utterly disorienting and scary.  Both ends of the valley are filled with bowls, couloirs and great terrain and it was always there for the taking. 

Top picture led to a large offpiste bowl that ended with great tree skiing. Or you could just stay on the groomed run and ski from France into Italy with better and cheaper food served with a smile. 

Middle was a chance to work on the boys and their form in powder.

Bottom two on the south side of the valley which was generally better in the morning though snow up high held up very well.

PXL_20230316_105506028.jpg

PXL_20230316_103103731.jpg

PXL_20230315_134017679.jpg

PXL_20230315_135223499.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Btw if you can wrangle the flights here's a good example of why skiing in Europe is a wash.  Below are lift prices for 6 days of skiing for Les Deux Alps.  A six day pass also gets you access to Aloe d'Huez, Montgenevre, Serre Chevalier and Puy St. Vincent.  Consider that lessons and guides are also drastically cheaper.  Now, this might not make much sense if you live in Denver or SLC or Sacramento but if you're a Houston family that flies to Denver for a week at Breckenridge or Beaver Creek or whatever... 

Screenshot_20230320-151322.thumb.png.1a887db25d5609e8827c6d419a286ec6.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

Copper Mountain was great for spring break. It's a very convenient mountain, but smaller than most I have skied. My little girls (6&7) are progressing nicely and have now mastered getting on and off lifts. Skiing with daddy after lessons each day are what being a proud dad is all abt. 

Copper is a great mountain.  That's the mountain I grew up skiing.

5 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

I got 3 separate ski trips (2 with family) this season, and now I feel like that should be the norm. My wife, however, has already mentioned that she wants to take a year off from skiing and go to the beach over xmas break instead.

I can feel this annual tradition slipping away already.

we've stepped up to 2x per year this year and last year going with the fam.  may try to make it 3x next as i was inspired by the pics from @JCHIL of Portillo

Got back from Park City/Canyons last weekend.  Just great snow in Utah right now.  Almost too much powder on Wed as we were trying to get to certain places on the Mountain and a few of the trails were slow going where they were not steep enough.

Son was dubbed 'Cocaine Bear' nearly everywhere he went in his bear coat

image.png.db948c1d86e2ccdd8c6a1b27c7d3a7e0.png

We stayed right at the lift on the Canyons side but skied about equal time over the week between PC and Canyons.

We had a blast at the Kuchu Shabu restaurant in the Canyons base and the kids enjoyed 'cooking' their own food shabu shabu style

This one was from Wed, when it snowed a foot or so between Tues/Wed

image.png.b99cf7215539b54bf071fe937c3ff831.png

On some the slower trails i was like a ice breaker boat creating a trail with my board.

Also, the doughnuts at the Cloud9 cafe (top of Dreamscape lift, Canyons side) are effing legit.  You have to haul ass to get there in time to get one. I think they make 2-3 batches and that's it.  We were 2 for 2 heading straight out and not screwing around (hard to do with kids) but people arriving 10-15 mins after us were SOL.   I think they have doughnut holes as a consolation prize for the latecomers.

image.thumb.png.5e2219e59e065ef05d73fe8be34b94c7.png

Overall a great trip getting on the slopes for 7 days  before leaving on Sat.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I got 3 separate ski trips (2 with family) this season, and now I feel like that should be the norm. My wife, however, has already mentioned that she wants to take a year off from skiing and go to the beach over xmas break instead.

Spring skiing is their (your) friend. Before my kids got good, and hooked, there was always the beach vs skiing debate and mega cold dec-feb outings were a headwind. Lean into heated pool and spa afternoons for the wife. You got this.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

You better send her on a separate trip like you know you should!  I can't believe all the dudes on this thread who actually consider their female's feelings when it comes to their skiing plans

On my 4th trip of the season.  Taos is incredible right now- 100 “ base and 6” fresh overnight and bluebird day today.  I just got in and my legs are noodles and the cold beer in my hand is the best beer I’ve had in awhile .5A10FC21-3D59-4BA6-9D9B-26B0AD9ABF85.thumb.jpeg.509e1603a90b76cf8d57b239b6a64f43.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1