Jacking off to my Sark performance fantasy

Wulaw Horn

On 8/25/2022 at 11:21 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Each time you roll out a new argument a pumper on the other thread changes his tune to “we’re fucked, aren’t we?”

I wish I didn’t have a micro peen but I do. I like to give head to rando’s at glory holes. 

• Haha 1

Wulaw deserves to rage after this one. We haven’t seen something like this in a long long time. We might not win the big 12 this year, but we look to be very competitive. We’re an injury away from likely being 6-0 and top 5 in the nation. That’s a huge improvement, and can be attributed to solid coaching across the board. Sark gets credit for that.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 11:38 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

what are we set up to do if the season doesn't go well?

If I had any integrity I’d lose a bet but I was too scared to make one, even though I ran around all summer and swore up and down this was a 5-7 team. I’m a massive cunt but instead of saying I was wrong I’m going yo continue to be a cunt. 

• Like 1

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It would make a lot more sense if I spent all week predicting an OU win.

But here we are.

No- you spent all off-season telling me I was an idiot for saying this team had a 10 win ceiling. Which clearly it does. And instead of simply saying “I was wrong” you continue to be a cunt. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If I had any integrity I’d lose a bet but I was too scared to make one, even though I ran around all summer and swore up and down this was a 5-7 team. I’m a massive cunt but instead of saying I was wrong I’m going yo continue to be a cunt. 

Fairly certain I predicted 8 wins before the season. Go drunk man, you’re home.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It would make a lot more sense if I spent all week predicting an OU win.

But here we are.

I get it but the problem is that we are so emotional we are incapable of rational thought. First Sark has got it turned around. Then he loses his star QB and now he is dogshit. Now he has it turned around again. Sometimes we just needed to understand that everything is interconnected. Good QB equal drives sustained, equal less time on the field for the defense, equals better defense and offense. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You are a gigantic fucking gash. Enjoy. 

Don't hold back, tell him how you really feel! 

Not bowl-eligible, bad team... who cares?  It's freaking ou, and we made them cry and quit.  This feels like one of those "today I settled all the family business" things. This is not a night for worrying about how we'll play next month, it's a night for getting riotously drunk and calling a gash a gash!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I get it but the problem is that we are so emotional we are incapable of rational thought. First Sark has got it turned around. Then he loses his star QB and now he is dogshit. Now he has it turned around again. Sometimes we just needed to understand that everything is interconnected. Good QB equal drives sustained, equal less time on the field for the defense, equals better defense and offense. 

Today proved we can beat the piss out of a John Blake level bad OU team with Derka at QB. That said, it was 20+ years in the making, and it was every bit as satisfying as I imagined it being all these years.

I spent all offseason saying let’s let the season play out and see if we’re a decent squad at the end of it. That and making fun of Wulaw.

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Today proved we can beat the piss out of a John Blake level bad OU team with Derka at QB. That said, it was 20+ years in the making, and it was every bit as satisfying as I imagined it being all these years.

I spent all offseason saying let’s let the season play out and see if we’re a decent squad at the end of it. That and making fun of Wulaw.

This is my stance on it. Non of any of this makes a shit. In the college game its simply about talent evaluation and the ability to bring it in. Texas has been mediocre over the years because of its inability to bring in talent, and especially at QB. We have had one real solid QB since Colt. Our recruiting classes have been mediocre to bad when considering the output. The NFL reflects that too. We have produced on the field exactly what we recruited. We are currently properly evaluating talent, and that's with putting a bad product on the field. As we play better more talented kids will want to play here. Kids aren't stupid. Sarkisian has the kind of offense kids wanna play in.

• Like 2

Today was fun but our first 4 Big 12 games are by teams that are 2-10 in conference play and 11-12 overall. 

We will finish with teams that are 10-2 in conference and 23-4 overall, including teams ranked #7, #17, #19, #20

Its going to be a really interesting final 5 weeks after Iowa State to see if we are for real headed in the right direction 

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/25/2022 at 11:30 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

Talent acquisition: The Most important part of College football

Since he has shown up on campus Sark nabbed X from the transfer pool, nabbed Ewers from the transfer pool, locked down the great Eli Mannings nephew, had the best OL class we've ever recruited, nailed the top RB in the country, and has started to keep Bama and OSU out of the state with guys that previously had gotten away from us, while going and snagging the best player in Florida, Louisiana, Hawaii, and maybe soon to be Utah.  We were a top 5 class last year and built from the inside out instead of relying upon overrated skill position guys.  Most everyone we signed had really good offer lists, most of the guys we have in this years class could pick up the phone in a heartbeat and get a spot on most top 10 teams in CFB, and we are set up to make a run at 5 or 7 other studs if this season goes well.  The name of the game in college football is building a roster with real talent, and we are in the process of doing that.  Is it all Sark?  No- NIL is huge and will need to continue to be huge.  But somebody has to be the face of this talent acquisition, that's Sark right now, and he's doing a really good job of it.  That, more than anything, is what gives me some confidence that he's going to get this thing turned around.  The talent acquisition looks really really good right now- from high school and in the portal.  Hang your hopes mostly on that. 

My thesis after a lot of clowning around @closetojumping- tell me where I’m wrong. 
I was ahead of the curve on this one but I was right. He’s probably going to be right guy at the right place but sure, he could fuck it up. 
Same sort of talent acquisition as Mack Brown that will hopefully have us winning 10 games a year soon and maybe stumble our way into a national title. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

• 4 weeks later...

Since he has shown up on campus Sark nabbed X from the transfer pool, nabbed Ewers from the transfer pool, locked down the great Eli Mannings nephew, had the best OL class we've ever recruited, nailed the top RB in the country, and has started to keep Bama and OSU out of the state with guys that previously had gotten away from us, while going and snagging the best player in Florida, Louisiana, Hawaii, and maybe soon to be Utah.  We were a top 5 class last year and built from the inside out instead of relying upon overrated skill position guys.  Most everyone we signed had really good offer lists, most of the guys we have in this years class could pick up the phone in a heartbeat and get a spot on most top 10 teams in CFB, and we are set up to make a run at 5 or 7 other studs if this season goes well.  The name of the game in college football is building a roster with real talent, and we are in the process of doing that.  Is it all Sark?  No- NIL is huge and will need to continue to be huge.  But somebody has to be the face of this talent acquisition, that's Sark right now, and he's doing a really good job of it.  That, more than anything, is what gives me some confidence that he's going to get this thing turned around.  The talent acquisition looks really really good right now- from high school and in the portal.  Hang your hopes mostly on that. 

So- can you fuckers that walk around with a stick up your ass all the time see what I’m talking about now with the talent acquisition?  

this team is going to be the best team since 2008 talent wise (2009 was low key kinda shitty compared to 2008 and held together by colts magnificence) and I fully expect us to be 11-1 or 12-0 barring some sort of bad luck or injury anomaly or WWF style officiating buffoonery.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

So- can you fuckers that walk around with a stick up your ass all the time see what I’m talking about now with the talent acquisition?  

this team is going to be the best team since 2008 talent wise (2009 was low key kinda shitty compared to 2008 and held together by colts magnificence) and I fully expect us to be 11-1 or 12-0 barring some sort of bad luck or injury anomaly or WWF style officiating buffoonery.  

I think somebody should pay your way to the CFP for such bold, ahead of the curve prognostications. Assuming that it comes true.

Not me paying, mind you, but someone.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

For those who couldn’t see this last year shame on you. The program is in better shape than it’s been in since 04-05 Mack Brown. The trajectory is sky high. 
sark is good at talent acquisition 

sark has full buy in. 
sark is an offensive mastermind and great play caller. 
if he doesn’t make it work in 2023 it’s likely never going to work and he’s some sort of loser where that loserness overcomes all these great qualities. I think that’s highly unlikely. 
I think there are some posters on here who should be mocked and ridiculed for eternity for some of their horrific takes on here. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m bumping it taking the chance I end up being the one mocked for eternity. 

Fuck it, I'll go down on this ship too. We're gonna win.

giphy.gif

To add to your comments about talent acquisition, Sark and his staff have shown a genuine ability to develop. Think about the difference in Hudson Card between 2021 (shit running down his leg at Arkansas) and 2022 (playing hardnosed on one good leg against fuckin' Bama). Christian Jones was a jag-minus before Flood got ahold of him. I'm convinced that Ojomo doesn't even go UDFA unless Coach Bo gets ahold of him and Sweat probably goes in the 7th round. Fucking Choater turned DMO from "that fucking converted safety" to a guy who was an absolute terror in the box. Barron Sorrell and Jaylon Ford are what they are because of this staff.

We haven't seen this in years. Since before 2009. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Yet we won 8 games. And many of the same guys won 5. Both of those totals were below their upside levels. It’s good I guess that people are on the development bandwagon, but one year of incremental improvement yet team underachievement doesn’t prove much.

The talent, experience and depth is greater this year. Anything less than 10 regular season wins is a disappointment. Right now we’re healthier too.

I’m not sure there’s more than one team on the schedule that can compete with us athletically. And it’s unlikely on the whole there will be many with more experience.

I’m having a difficult time imagining how it’s possible we don’t win 10 out of 13 or 14 games.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Yet we won 8 games. And many of the same guys won 5. Both of those totals were below their upside levels. It’s good I guess that people are on the development bandwagon, but one year of incremental improvement yet team underachievement doesn’t prove much.

The talent, experience and depth is greater this year. Anything less than 10 regular season wins is a disappointment. Right now we’re healthier too.

I’m not sure there’s more than one team on the schedule that can compete with us athletically. And it’s unlikely on the whole there will be many with more experience.

I’m having a difficult time imagining how it’s possible we don’t win 10 out of 13 or 14 games.

unknown-1-1634222621.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Yeah- absent multiple instances of 2016 OSU style ref fuckery if we don’t win at least 10 but likely 11 (counting conference championship game) sark isn’t the guy. I think he is. We shall see. Everything about the program is in such a good place right now. 

On 8/11/2023 at 11:29 PM, NoRagrets said:

For the first time in a long time, it feels like we have a program. There’s depth and development across every position group. He’ll figure it all out if we just give him at least five years. 

He doesn’t need 5 years- he needs to win now. He’s done an admirable job on all the heavy lifting and he’s tilted the deck into his own favor. If he can’t win big this year absent something really really weird happening it’s a really bad data point. Like REALLY bad we should probably just go ahead and start buying blindfolds and cigarettes bad data point. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

I sort of think there’s a chance that Sark goes down as the second most accomplished coach in Texas history. Like- maybe a coinflip. Also an almost 100% chance he’s a dismal failure if this year isn’t something like 11-2 in the regular season. This is gonna be fascinating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Speaking of fascinating, I opened this thread at the top of this page (4) to get "up to speed" (was on vacation during OU game last year) and couldn't figure out what in the world was going on...

After reading page 3, that was a 2000/2003 post-OU LFZ-style apoplectic reaction (albeit for positive reasons). Bravo and kudos...

• Like 1

I sort of think there’s a chance that Sark goes down as the second most accomplished coach in Texas history. Like- maybe a coinflip. Also an almost 100% chance he’s a dismal failure if this year isn’t something like 11-2 in the regular season. This is gonna be fascinating. 

Hm. You know what side I’ll come down on but it’s an interesting exercise; what do you weight when defining most accomplished?

Mack Brown:
75% winning percentage (both OCC and in conference play)
13 9+ win seasons, 12 of them consecutively.
9 10 win seasons, consecutively
4 CCG appearances
2 conference championships
2008 should probably be 5 CCGs and 3 championships
11-5 bowl record
3-1 in BCS bowls with the L having a major asterisk
1 NC that is also a consensus all time great team
2008 and 2009 were, at a minimum, great shots at additional national championships that were, well, we all know the story
1 Heisman winner, though not his recruit
2 additional Heisman finalists, 1 of which is GOAT that should have won a Heisman
IDK how many all conference, all American, and drafted players. Dozens.

You think Sark is a coin flip to match that? The conference championships aren’t apple to Apple with the SEC move and one of Mack’s biggest black marks is not having more of those, both because he was 2-2 in the games and because of underperformance against OU, which is one of his other black marks. And of course allowing rot in the program to set in. So he isn’t surly his faults but it’s still a pretty tall order to match.

On 8/11/2023 at 11:29 PM, NoRagrets said:

For the first time in a long time, it feels like we have a program. There’s depth and development across every position group. He’ll figure it all out if we just give him at least five years. 

Fuck that.  If the team doesn't win the conference this season then Sark's not the guy, and the only smart move is to fire him and start over again.  We're Texas!!!!!

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Hm. You know what side I’ll come down on but it’s an interesting exercise; what do you weight when defining most accomplished?

Mack Brown:
4 CCG appearances
11-5 bowl record
2008 and 2009 were, at a minimum, great shots at additional national championships that were, well, we all know the story
2 additional Heisman finalists, 1 of which is GOAT that should have won a Heisman

You think Sark is a coin flip to match that? The conference championships aren’t apple to Apple with the SEC move and one of Mack’s biggest black marks is not having more of those, both because he was 2-2 in the games and because of underperformance against OU, which is one of his other black marks. And of course allowing rot in the program to set in. So he isn’t surly his faults but it’s still a pretty tall order to match.

My metrics would be 1 or more national titles and 5 trips to the playoffs. I’m not getting into 9 and 10 win season streaks because of scheduling disparity. But I’m calling 12 team playoffs rough equivalent of BCS bowls. If he makes 5 with a national championship that outdoes Mack imo. 
I think he can get there. If he doesn’t shit the bed. The talent acquisition is so conducive for him here with his personality, NIL and the SEC tailwind. And I think he’s a great offensive mind and a damn good play caller. 

• Like 2

My metrics would be 1 or more national titles and 5 trips to the playoffs. I’m not getting into 9 and 10 win season streaks because of scheduling disparity. But I’m calling 12 team playoffs rough equivalent of BCS bowls. If he makes 5 with a national championship that outdoes Mack imo. 
I think he can get there. If he doesn’t shit the bed. The talent acquisition is so conducive for him here with his personality, NIL and the SEC tailwind. And I think he’s a great offensive mind and a damn good play caller. 

Interesting. We’ll have to see what becomes of the 12 team playoff.

If they go to a straight top 12 instead of AQ’s as has evidently been discussed, I think you have to credit Mack for several of his top 10 teams that went to the Holiday or Cotton Bowls or wherever because there were only 2-4 at large spots. Even if the AQ’s remain that’s still 6-7 spots, notably more than Mack was working with. So it’s at least a little if not extremely favorable to Sark but I think the scheduling disparity, which you mentioned, counts for something too. Although the late 2000’s-early 2020’s B12 was tough as nails.

Can’t edit for some reason but I went back and looked - there’s no world where 2001 or 2002 Texas miss a 12-team playoff and a few other teams (2000, 2003, 2006, and 2007) would have something between a non trivial and very strong chance of qualifying. So I acknowledge difficulty in comparing eras but I think you’re shorting Mack a bit here.

And in general, I’m just hoping Texas beats OU, gets to 9 wins, and plays in Arlington this year, so if Sark ends up with a national championship and five playoff berths instead of 7 or 8 then I think we can give you the W here.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Interesting. We’ll have to see what becomes of the 12 team playoff.

If they go to a straight top 12 instead of AQ’s as has evidently been discussed, I think you have to credit Mack for several of his top 10 teams that went to the Holiday or Cotton Bowls or wherever because there were only 2-4 at large spots. Even if the AQ’s remain that’s still 6-7 spots, notably more than Mack was working with. So it’s at least a little if not extremely favorable to Sark but I think the scheduling disparity, which you mentioned, counts for something too. Although the late 2000’s-early 2020’s B12 was tough as nails.

Look man- if he’s playing for the title he’s playing for the title- I don’t really care how they get there as far as AQ’s or not happening.  
I loved Mack while he had it going and still am very appreciative of what he did here. If Sark wins one and makes the playoffs 5 times that outshines Mack imo, but if someone wants to get into a detailed and dorky argument and try to moneyball it out I won’t stop them from doing that. The thing about Sark is I think he’s as good at getting guys on campus as Mack was and I think he’s a better offensive mind. Will he be able to manage a game as successfully as Mack?  I don’t know, but we won damn near every close game and other than getting buttfucked by OU regularly I never really felt like mAck was getting out coached or making bad decision on game day. I think he was actually elite at all that shit, but I get shouted down on here whenever I say that. If Sark can get there he will win and win and win. 

Look man- if he’s playing for the title he’s playing for the title- I don’t really care how they get there as far as AQ’s or not happening.  
I loved Mack while he had it going and still am very appreciative of what he did here. If Sark wins one and makes the playoffs 5 times that outshines Mack imo, but if someone wants to get into a detailed and dorky argument and try to moneyball it out I won’t stop them from doing that. The thing about Sark is I think he’s as good at getting guys on campus as Mack was and I think he’s a better offensive mind. Will he be able to manage a game as successfully as Mack?  I don’t know, but we won damn near every close game and other than getting buttfucked by OU regularly I never really felt like mAck was getting out coached or making bad decision on game day. I think he was actually elite at all that shit, but I get shouted down on here whenever I say that. If Sark can get there he will win and win and win. 

Yeah, at the end of the day if Sark here with several playoff appearances you wouldn’t hear me saying his tenure failed. Just thinking out loud on your BCS = 12-team playoff concept.

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, at the end of the day if Sark here with several playoff appearances you wouldn’t hear me saying his tenure failed. Just thinking out loud on your BCS = 12-team playoff concept.

BCS was probably slightly harder to make (but just slightly). Playoffs are just much more meaningful because if you get in you have a chip and a chair, which our 08 team didn’t have, so it’s just more impactful imo. 
it will be the mark of a successful year for most teams most of the time- like making a final 4 in basketball. 

38 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

BCS was probably slightly harder to make (but just slightly). Playoffs are just much more meaningful because if you get in you have a chip and a chair, which our 08 team didn’t have, so it’s just more impactful imo. 
it will be the mark of a successful year for most teams most of the time- like making a final 4 in basketball. 

The BCS had 8 teams for 8 years and 10 teams for 8 years each, so call it an average of 9 teams. That's a 25% smaller field than being in top 12 for CFP. I wouldn't call that just slightly harder. Obviously the CFP are more meaningful now but if you're going to discount 9- and 10-win seasons because of scheduling differences, I don't see how you can hand wave the difference in BCS slots vs CFP slots.

Clearly it would be super-duper great if Sark even matched Mack close enough to make it a discussion. At an absolute minimum that means we got a championship with him. I think you're being overly optimistic if you think it's a coin flip though. There's been a lot of good teams and a lot of good coaches that just couldn't get over the finish line. Sure as hell rooting for it to happen.

Edited by Serak The Preparer

1 minute ago, Serak The Preparer said:

The BCS had 8 teams for 8 years and 10 teams for 8 years each, so call it an average of 9 teams. That's a 25% smaller field than being in top 12 for CFP. I wouldn't call that just slightly harder. Obviously the CFP are more meaningful now but if you're going to discount 9- and 10-win seasons because of scheduling differences, I don't see how you can hand wave the difference in BCS slots vs CFP slots.

Clearly it would be super-duper great if Sark even matched Mack close enough to make it a discussion. At an absolute minimum that means we got a championship with him. I think you're being overly optimistic if you think it's a coin flip though. There's been a lot of good teams and a lot of good coaches that just couldn't get over the finish line. Sure as hell rooting for it to happen.

Forget about eh number of total teams- what’s it’s going to come down to is do you think it was easier to finish top 2 in yesterdays big 12 or top 3 in todays SEC?  I think it’s probably pretty close to a push. 
I reserve the right to change my opinion but I don’t expect I will be losses off with any season that ends with us in the playoffs. 

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I actually think there's only two paths here:

1) can't figure out the game day shit and he's out within 3 years, or;

2) He becomes the winningest coach in Texas history and has minimum 3 NCs

But then again, I'm wrong an awful lot of the time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I actually think there's only two paths here:

1) can't figure out the game day shit and he's out within 3 years, or;

2) He becomes the winningest coach in Texas history and has minimum 3 NCs

But then again, I'm wrong an awful lot of the time.

Yeah that’s my opinion as well. I just think the idea of 3 national titles is extremely extremely greedy. But he’s either on his way out or gonna be great I think. There’s very small chance it goes in between. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Mack Brown:
4 CCG appearances
11-5 bowl record

Mack is the second most accomplished coach at Texas. It's hard to beat DKR with 3 championships and 11 conference championships.

12 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

Mack is the second most accomplished coach at Texas. It's hard to beat DKR with 3 championships and 11 conference championships.

Man, '08 we shoulda gone to MNC, likely win with that team. '09, Colt stays healthy or returns in 2H, we beat Bama... Mack has his 3 MNCs and rides off into the sunset... Gideon shoulda caught that damn interception against Tech.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Man, '08 we shoulda gone to MNC, likely win with that team. '09, Colt stays healthy or returns in 2H, we beat Bama... Mack has his 3 MNCs and rides off into the sunset... Gideon shoulda caught that damn interception against Tech.

Mack had some bad luck. If you played that decade over 1000 times it feels like 1 national title would be the worst outcome. 

• 4 weeks later...

I still fear the team might be a bit psychologically delicate.  It didn't show last night, but I have come to believe that over this long dry spell, we really had just forgotten how to win.  I think the relatively poor performance against Rice, compared to last night, reflects that a little bit.

And yes, it is the coaches' responsibility to instill that, but I think that has more to do with actually winning on the field than psychological preparation of some sort.  The coach has to recruit the jimmies and joes (so Sark gets a check plus here), install winning systems and game plans (Sark gets a check, at least, maybe a check with question mark), and the players have to execute well enough to pull it off (and I think this is the biggest part and there's only so much the coaches can do here).

Only when that all comes together for some big wins, including some gut checks, do we recover our winning mentality.

Now, as was noted, we have to deal with prosperity.  I think a head coach may actually have more ability to control that than instilling the winning mentality, per se.

Edited by TwiceHorn