Game Day Experience 2022

blacklab

3 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Does anyone park east of 35 around Disch-Falk on game days? I’m flying in tomorrow getting in at 9:45 and planning on just parking somewhere around there; didn’t know if there were any surface pay lots or if you just park on the street like for baseball games…

I always park by the cemetery on Navasota. Turn on the street just before the Doubletree and it curves around to the right by the cemetery. Easy in and out and not a bad walk.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Hoping to go the Baylor game the day after Thanksgiving. Any idea when gametime will be announced or if we are likely in a particular time slot?

They used to announce that prior to the season, but with new fox/abc/espn arrangement, just the first three games of the year.  Not even OU is official until 12 days prior (remember we did have a couple surprise 2:30p's in there just a few years back).  So yeah, Baylor probably isn't coming down the pike until Nov. 7th announcements.  Our TV partners have 1 more 6-day hold in their pocket and they will be using that either the weekend of our KSU or TCU games.  One or both of those will be night games though.  

Baylor will either be 11:00a or 6:00p though.  But that's  wide window.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good
Despite 2 quarters of sloppy play, good crowd
Big Bertha II - After 100 years Big Bertha was retired and they introduced the new one
5befec8b8839ed2dbc07e2f7237904ef.jpg
Hotties
Weather
Epic Texas!Fight! in 4th Quarter / 3rd of the day, 1 more than AC/DC and 2 more than Miley Cyrus

Bad
ACL student attendance

Ugly
Bob Cole giving us stripper DJ all game
A/V interrupting epic Texas!Fight! with jock rock and “Stand Up” graphic

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Big Bertha II - After 100 years Big Bertha was retired and they introduced the new one
5befec8b8839ed2dbc07e2f7237904ef.jpg

100 years ago, same drum:

Apf4-01704r.jpg

The first Big Bertha outlived that stadium, the Manhattan Project, and the UChicago football program and survived many, many road trips with LHB...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

delayed clone report

#1 biggest problem is the tv timeouts....  TD? 3 minutes.... PAT? 3 minutes..... kickoff fair catch / out of bounds / out of endzone / returned / WHATEVER..... 3 minutes

that's 9 minutes of commercials for 5 seconds of clock

#2 bitch is the review process... the Prem has a central command center in london just like the league has a command center in new york... review? 3 minutes, no matter what

the league and the prem can make a decision in 20 seconds

college conferences with the iPhone4 on the field is absolute bulllshit ant embarassing

#3 bitch is the zillatron killing a TEXAS! FIGHT! 20 seconds before TV came back for the 4th quarter

absolute bullshit

#4 bitch is getting in to "old man clouds" territory....  miley cyrus is not music.... the house shit is generica

at least pom gets to do an nba routine for their audition tapes

#5 last not least, never heard the band period sitting on the east side 60 rows up 25 yard line

will go to big games and regular games in the future but season tickets?   no fucking way

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Can you really not use screen shots for tickets? My parents bought me tickets to the TCU game and don’t understand technology. 

Can't speak specifically to DKR-TMS, but the no screenshots is usually because the QR code is not static. It changes every time you bring the ticket up. This prevents someone from reselling the same screenshot/QR code over and over again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Can you really not use screen shots for tickets? My parents bought me tickets to the TCU game and don’t understand technology. 

I don't know if some tickets are different than others but with my season tickets, you can screen shot them and use them that way.  I typically have poor reception around the stadium so ever since they started using the electronic tickets, I have screenshotted my tickets before heading up to Austin and used the screen shot to get in for every game and have never had any issues. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Can't speak specifically to DKR-TMS, but the no screenshots is usually because the QR code is not static. It changes every time you bring the ticket up. This prevents someone from reselling the same screenshot/QR code over and over again.

UT tickets do not have dynamic bar codes (with the moving line to the left and right). Screenshots will work just fine.

That's for tickets downloaded directly from UT. If buying from another third-party, I can't speak to that.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hoping to go the Baylor game the day after Thanksgiving. Any idea when gametime will be announced or if we are likely in a particular time slot?

I’d bet on 11am just given what’s on the schedule already. ABC/FOX afternoon and ABC evening games already spoken for.

Aside from the performance on the field , the experience last night was terrible. I heard one Texas Fight chant and it quickly got drowned out by some stupid "hype"video/ distorted shit coming out of the loudspeaker. My ears are ringing this morning because of that shit. Hard to believe there is not a single person in the whole GameDay bureaucracy who doesn't think maybe the volume should be turned down a little. And please retire the Water Cronkite get your Horns up video. Time to move on from that.

• Hook 'Em 5

16 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Aside from the performance on the field , the experience last night was terrible. I heard one Texas Fight chant and it quickly got drowned out by some stupid "hype"video/ distorted shit coming out of the loudspeaker. My ears are ringing this morning because of that shit. Hard to believe there is not a single person in the whole GameDay bureaucracy who doesn't think maybe the volume should be turned down a little. And please retire the Water Cronkite get your Horns up video. Time to move on from that.

Night started off with poor timing.  Felt like the band came out late, maybe because of the parachutes, team came running out before the intro bells finished and the song build up, and the pre-kick off Texas-Fight goes away for the hype video. Then the volume seemed way louder than usual. I'm not an old fogey, but holy shit, I couldn't hear the people next to me.

And for the love of God why have we not moved on from Bob Cole. Cronkite can stay so long as that MF is still polluting the stadium.

I’ve been going to Texas games for 34 years and that’s the first one I’ve ever been to where there wasn’t one Texas Fight cheer or march grandioso. There may have been one pregame but we got stuck in traffic and missed kickoff.  The offense didn’t give much to cheer about but you’d think they would try to get the crowd involved beyond putting up a QR code on the screen for some bullshit giveaway. Really disappointing experience.

The drunk obnoxious tcu fans in the row behind me screaming in my ear didn’t help either but still… that was a huge game at night and the atmosphere should have been electric. It was a dud. Deafening scoreboard. Did the band even play other than at halftime? I don’t even remember singing the fight song.  Terrible game ops. Why the fuck do we even have cheerleaders if they aren’t going to actually lead cheers?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

i agree with most everything except cronkite. this is my first year in section 31 but Holy fuck the sound was at 11 last night. I've been to two rock concerts this month that were quieter. they were also pumping band noise through the thing. 

also i appreciate the effort texas cheer but i can't see the play at midfield when yall hold up the signs on third down. please stop doing that. 

The gameday experience is a microcosm of our offense. Explosive at times, but unable to successfully adapt and incorporate its talent.

If you watch the HBO satire Avenue 5, they have a futuristic talk show where there’s a noise or graphic popping off every few seconds to maintain the viewer’s attention. Thats whats the games seem like.

The Good
Football weather
Start of game - TCU mom turned to daddy and said “This is awesome”
Army paragliders
Student section

The Bad
Gatecheckers - there’s no security. You can just walk in
Open seating - along those lines we’ve seen countless student refugees wandering the stadium because the student section was “oversold” (its a good problem to have)
Karaoke cam - nobody does it right. Im fine with using some plants for things like this

The Ugly
Only one Texas Fight!
Bevooooooooooooooo! We got rid of frog doing Hookem Hoooooolooooorns! Now we got DJ guy doing it
Band and cheer relegated behind jewelry ads in importance of experience
Mashup of KPop, Jock Rock, Carla Rae Jenson played at supersonic levels
TV timeouts - MLS is looking better and better

and…

1cc846539895f4701e01676998ffa1b0.jpg

The gameday experience is a microcosm of our offense. Explosive at times, but unable to successfully adapt and incorporate its talent.

If you watch the HBO satire Avenue 5, they have a futuristic talk show where there’s a noise or graphic popping off every few seconds to maintain the viewer’s attention. Thats whats the games seem like.

The Good
Football weather
Start of game - TCU mom turned to daddy and said “This is awesome”
Army paragliders
Student section

The Bad
Gatecheckers - there’s no security. You can just walk in
Open seating - along those lines we’ve seen countless student refugees wandering the stadium because the student section was “oversold” (its a good problem to have)
Karaoke cam - nobody does it right. Im fine with using some plants for things like this

The Ugly
Only one Texas Fight!
Bevooooooooooooooo! We got rid of frog doing Hookem Hoooooolooooorns! Now we got DJ guy doing it
Band and cheer relegated behind jewelry ads in importance of experience
Mashup of KPop, Jock Rock, Carla Rae Jenson played at supersonic levels
TV timeouts - MLS is looking better and better

and…

1cc846539895f4701e01676998ffa1b0.jpg

Yeah we literally walked in and nobody stopped us. With a freaking kids wagon. We only stayed for one reason and left shortly after so we didn’t take anyone’s seats. Fyi. Just a bunch of kids working there.

The sound volume was ridiculous. Never heard it that loud.

No chance for Texas Fight during the game with all the commercials and loud ass “hype” music.  If you are going to have the volume that loud, pipe in some fake crowd noise or put a mic near the band. 

14 hours ago, utexas8 said:

Yeah we literally walked in and nobody stopped us. With a freaking kids wagon. We only stayed for one reason and left shortly after so we didn’t take anyone’s seats. Fyi. Just a bunch of kids working there.

He looks just like he's coached lately. He needs to not let his wife dress him. 

• Fuck You 1

We were in the cheap seats at the top of the stadium amongst TCU assholes, so there’s a chance the bowl wasn’t capturing the crowd noise, but it seemed like the Texas fans were dead. But like many of you, the sound system was still extra loud. I don’t recall any TEXAS/FIGHT chants, but I was in the pisser in between third and fourth quarters. Yes, security was non-existent at our gate.

I’m not sure I’ve ever done a worse job predicting a situation: I expected the crowd to be the most jacked up it’s been in years, even surpassing a bad ass effort vs. Alabama, and I expected the team to beat the shit out of TCU. Wrong on both counts (though the defense deserves praise save for two massive fuckups).

• Hook 'Em 1

We were in the cheap seats at the top of the stadium amongst TCU assholes, so there’s a chance the bowl wasn’t capturing the crowd noise, but it seemed like the Texas fans were dead. But like many of you, the sound system was still extra loud. I don’t recall any TEXAS/FIGHT chants, but I was in the pisser in between third and fourth quarters. Yes, security was non-existent at our gate.
I’m not sure I’ve ever done a worse job predicting a situation: I expected the crowd to be the most jacked up it’s been in years, even surpassing a bad ass effort vs. Alabama, and I expected the team to beat the shit out of TCU. Wrong on both counts (though the defense deserves praise save for two massive fuckups).

All of this. Was dead in lower bowl.

39 minutes ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Yep, very disappointing atmsophere.  That said, it was somewhat understandable, since the offense sucked the life out of the crowd ala... 

Colin2.jpg

Edited by hobbs
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

The non- stop deafening cacophony of the sound system prevented any real crowd involvement. By far the loudest I have experienced. Not only every timeout, but between every play. It was relentless. I could not hear the person next to me. The crowd was into it at the start of the game and was crazy loud after the first TCU three and out. Then the Jumbotron took over.  When the racket from the sound system was turned down before a play there was no crowd noise because everyone had given up shouting over the Krakotoa level sound. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Yup all of this except I was in the lower bowl and it was dead there too. I thought for sure the crowd would be as good or better than Bama and was also predicting a double digit win. There was one TEXAS-FIGHT at the beginning of the game and that was the only one.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yup all of this except I was in the lower bowl and it was dead there too. I thought for sure the crowd would be as good or better than Bama and was also predicting a double digit win. There was one TEXAS-FIGHT at the beginning of the game and that was the only one.

Isn’t Texas/Fight up to the fans and not the cheerleaders/stadium operators?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, you'll hear little pockets of it here and there throughout the game but by the time the noise spreads, the chant is crushed by the PA or scoreboard or DJ.  The crowd still tries as often as it ever did, but a good TEXAS FIGHT needs at least 30 seconds to audibly spread out from it's original few sections to get a 'both sides' thing going.  We never get that chance anymore as if "dead air" in the DJ booth is some kinda cardinal sin.  

It was just extra shitty this year because my oldest is old enough now to ask good questions about the game and UT and our players.  But we could never fucking hear one another so no conversation got beyond 15 seconds.  

The Baylor game is gonna be fucking dead.  11am after Thanksgiving is already a challenge, but it'll be cool and dreary (long ways off, but currently 50% chance of rain).  NR 6-5 Baylor battling RV 7-4 Texas for a berth to the Orlando Cheez-It Bowl?  With no way there's a coaching change after just two seasons, there's no drama, no intrigue, just a send-off to some great players who've been through a lot with this program.  Stuck inside of a quiet bowl of shitty EDM and Taco Bell ads.    

2 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Season ticket holders get a generic email from the athletic department asking for feedback about the game day experience. I emptied my bowels in my response. I invite you to do the same. 

thoughts and prayers to your laptop keyboard, I guess?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1