Game Day Experience 2022

blacklab

The other thing ive noticed is the lack of season ticket holders actually sitting in seats. Strangers all around us.

A lot of folks probably bought season tickets to get into the Bama game and then recoup.

Also TCU was getting a surprising amount of money on the secondary market. Couldn’t go so put ours on stub hub at $180 per ticket, before fees, and they were gone in an hour.

2023:  Rice, Wyoming, Kansas, Kansas State, overhyped OK-State, and Texas Tech is not exactly exciting on paper.  There's maybe 3 bowl teams/coming off winning seasons squads in that mix.  We'll be limping in at 8-5 with a lame-duck coach in what should be our last year in the league with huge ticket price increases on the horizon.  Only night games on there I see will be the Rice and Wyoming dictated by the LHN for 7:00p.  Everything else screams 2:30p on FS1/ESPNU and lame as hell inside the stadium.  No threat of Gameday, Big Noon, or anything beyond a pre-game show of Lowell Galindo and one of the Acho Brothers live from Plucker's.  

Maybe we can get Nickelback for Longhorn City Limits? 

It was such a perfect day for football.  Was super hyped to see the player entrance at night, but the Golden Knights Parachute team threw everything off.  The band was rushed, the intro was rushed, Bevo was rushed,  sucked. But Even with that, the students went nuts before the kickoff and it was crazy for the first defensive series, I thought to myself, this is Bama level…after that everyone was just waiting for something to happen, which never did.  Hoping we drill KU so Baylor game is at least a little entertaining.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Horndog said:

Season ticket holders get a generic email from the athletic department asking for feedback about the game day experience. I emptied my bowels in my response. I invite you to do the same. 

The stadium environment has been a whored out, unbridled embarrassment for years. And the same generic feedback-related email has been going out for years.

Guess what? Bellmont doesn't and never will give a shit. No matter the state of yours and anyone else's bowels. Sad but it is the case.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

2023:  Rice, Wyoming, Kansas, Kansas State, overhyped OK-State, and Texas Tech is not exactly exciting on paper. 

I think this likely goes into more season ticket holders selling tix this year when prices are up.  We've all been taking a bath on extra tix for years.  This is the first time since I've had 4 seats (so frequently have extras as my kids are still young) I'll actually end season with a profit selling the extras.  

13 hours ago, YGIFS said:

2023:  Rice, Wyoming, Kansas, Kansas State, overhyped OK-State, and Texas Tech is not exactly exciting on paper.

One of those conference games will probably be replaced with a newcomer.  Not sure how much more exciting it is for you to host Cincinnati or UCF instead of Kansas but at the very least it's something different.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good point. I keep forgetting about that.  Big 12 will give us the lamest possible slate for game purposes to pinch us financially (as much as can pinch UT).   I’m guessing they’ll leave tech in for old time’s sake but take out KSU or OSU as big draw names and give us whoever finishes this season furthest down the rankings between UCF or Cincinnati.  BYU is a bigger draw for us so won’t get them.  

our road slate should be interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...
The scoreboard volume was pretty normal today. TCU was absolutely ridiculous. 

Agree today was actually an improvement compared to TCU. two good Texas Fight chants is two more than all year. Smaller crowd but those there actually wanted to be there. Fun game, and the Bijan chants at the end was a good way to end the home experience.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

so did they fire the cannon at some new times? on TV i swear i heard it a few times for like, holding on third or fourth down, or maybe gaining a first down? def not score/kickoff related

It’s like the found an extra box of blanks with an expiration date on them. It was cool for this game but don’t want Smokey to turn into Boomer Sooner.

The seniors firing off shots after the game was awesome.

Having lived the McWilliams years and seeing 10s of thousands of empty seats in almost the same scenario (capacity 77,809 - so if every ticket holder showed up - ha! - 64% full - in reality a lot less and as depressing as the final score) in a very similar scenario - vs same team after Thanksgiving - and technically not a lot to play for - I was impressed with the energy of the crowd and how many showed up. That was great to see and really encouraging to see how the game day experience has changed for the better over just the last few years!

But wow, they definitely turned the scoreboard up to 11 now!

1989 University of Texas Football
                Baylor vs Texas (Nov 25, 1989 at Austin, Texas)

Baylor (5-6,4-4) vs. Texas (5-5,4-3)
Date: Nov 25, 1989  Site: Austin, Texas         Stadium: Memorial Stadium
Attendance: 49081

Score by Quarters     1  2  3  4   Score
-----------------    -- -- -- --   -----
Baylor.............. 10  7 26  7  - 50
Texas...............  0  0  0  7  -  7
  • Like 1

Third game of the year at DKR.

As stated above the people there wanted to be there and they wanted blood. From the refs especially. We booed for a solid 10 minutes after they refused to call grounding on the rapists.

After that they started reviewing everything.

BIJAN chant was God damn boner inducing.

Our seniors firing Smokey into the rapists sideline the entire game made me laugh. 

Anyway it was the first game in a long time where I felt the crowd made a difference. If bijan had run it in on that final posession..... fuuuuuu

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Having lived the McWilliams years and seeing 10s of thousands of empty seats in almost the same scenario (capacity 77,809 - so if every ticket holder showed up - ha! - 64% full - in reality a lot less and as depressing as the final score) in a very similar scenario - vs same team after Thanksgiving - and technically not a lot to play for - I was impressed with the energy of the crowd and how many showed up. That was great to see and really encouraging to see how the game day experience has changed for the better over just the last few years!

But wow, they definitely turned the scoreboard up to 11 now!

1989 University of Texas Football
                Baylor vs Texas (Nov 25, 1989 at Austin, Texas)

Baylor (5-6,4-4) vs. Texas (5-5,4-3)
Date: Nov 25, 1989  Site: Austin, Texas         Stadium: Memorial Stadium
Attendance: 49081

Score by Quarters     1  2  3  4   Score
-----------------    -- -- -- --   -----
Baylor.............. 10  7 26  7  - 50
Texas...............  0  0  0  7  -  7

Wow - I was there for that game.  If memory serves me correctly it was cold, wet & windy....and I stayed until the end.  It was like watching a train wreck occur in real time and over a 3 hour period.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BRLA said:

Wow - I was there for that game.  If memory serves me correctly it was cold, wet & windy....and I stayed until the end.  It was like watching a train wreck occur in real time and over a 3 hour period.  

I was there. Don't think I'm quite ready to talk about it yet. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BRLA said:

It was indeed miserably cold and wet. Somewhat ashamed to say I didn’t stay for the end (and the only time I remember ever leaving early) but there was no real reason to stay. 

Conspiracy theory time regarding ear-ringing noise level coming from stadium speakers:

1.  Estes Audiology pays big bucks to be advertiser on jumbotron and ribbon boards in stadium.

2.  In addition to receiving the stadium ads, for paying this big fee, stadium producers will crank the volume to ear-drum piercing levels.

3.  Monday morning, Estes Audiology books appointments for potential new patients seeking ear plugs, hearing aids, and assessments for loss of hearing and tinnitus, a remarkable number of which attended these games.

4. ???

5. Profit

• Like 1