Game Day Experience 2022

blacklab

18 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Or a larynx removal. Whatever it takes. 

No matter, DKR environment is just a whored out, glorified nightclub.

A whored out, glorified nightclub can be a shitload of fun when the drinks are flowing, the women are beautiful, and the music is great. Texas football is the main attraction, and Bob Cole is the fucking DJ who keeps talking over the music, playing the wrong shit at the wrong time, and killing the vibe of the place when we’re trying to enjoy the experience together. 

• Like 1

The in-stadium gameday experience has been less than great for quite awhile now. Can't really believe it'll get much better, but maybe...

The Nebraska & Northwestern fans in the stands at Fookin' Dooblin, now... looks like they had a hell of a gameday experience. Card payment systems for concessions went down, and they aren't allowed to take cash. Instead, they just gave away the food and beer, which I maintain is a superb gameday experience.

I mean,imagine what would happen at DKR if the payment systems all go down. You think they'd give the stuff away? Fuck, no, they wouldn't. My guess is they'd start tossing it in the dumpsters, and APD would send a SWAT team to take down anyone who tried to steal the garbage. Book it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Anyone know if there’s a plan to get the shuttles (actually nice travel coaches) back in service from the IM fields to near the stadium? It’s been a convenient option, but I think suspended during COVID. It seems there may be a way to catch a CapMetro bus somewhere and get reasonably close, but I don’t know how to catch a damn city bus… and more importantly, how do you get back to where you need to go AFTER the game at 11pm? 

Thanks for any informed feedback.

On 8/26/2022 at 5:27 PM, Hiphopopotamos said:

Didn't want to start a new thread - so I'll ask in here - how the fuck is everyone else watching LHN games this year?  Looks like Sling dropped LHN and Vidgo isn't offering a free trial (and I'm not paying 60 for the shitty stream I watched last year - or maybe two years ago).

Is hoping for a quality stream on sportsurge.net the best option for home viewing?

I've got UVerse.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Another year and another complaint they have to do something about the SEZ looking empty 

They're making a lot of money off those empty weats.  Bellmont does not consider that a problem at all

• Hook 'Em 1

What does this mean?

Bunch of refrigerators of assorted 16 oz beer and water. You walk up to refrigerator grab out what you want take it to this big tray scanner. Set it down on scanner. Scanner figures out what you got and rings you up. You pay and walk away. Two attendants standing there to help and or catch underage shenanigans.

Also nice because you walk away with still closed beers when you buy two.

Didn’t take pic (my hands were full of beer of course) but looks something like this.

f6badd9ccce144f96467a05008a78d23.jpg

Have used them before in some MLB stadiums.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I try to make the opening home game every year and with that said ~

What a total beat down the DKR game day experience is.  It just about ruins the game itself.  Every year I hope it'll get better and every year the result is the complete opposite.

The upside is that it saves me a shitload of $s being convinced to stay home and watch the rest of the DKR tilts on my tv instead of making the trip to ATX for anymore ear and eye torture.  Even Galindo is a better option than that abomination.

75860E43-A308-4D09-8D34-F2B912BBBC77.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 4

The students in their relocated sections really brought it last night. They’re right across the isle from my seats on the east side north 20 yard line. Better than a bunch of olds. For a shitty opponent, the stands around me were pretty packed before kickoff for the National Anthem and The Eyes. Haven’t seen that in a while. Hopefully an improved season can help keep that up.

A huge negative was the new Champions Club, for those who’ve had access in the past. It’s now in San Jacinto Hall and the layout and overall vibe is terrible. I guess/hope this is temporary while they’re doing renovations at Bass. My kid and I had a better time at the food truck court.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Had a good time at the game last night. It always amazes me how people are always just constantly leaving and going even at more “important” moments of the game. And how many people go to not necessarily watch the game. It’s more, social hour in the stands.

- i thought the student section was great. They showed up and filled in the entire section. They were also pretty loud. Band was alright but not super loud. 

- the 3rd down graphic on the big screen really got people going. The 3 and out counter is kinda goofy but oh well haha. 

- had a problem with a facilities issue, tweeted to CDC, and Fernando Lovo responded directly and they took care of it quickly! 

-Royal burgers (sec 1, level 3) was closed for the first game of the year, again. They should just replace it lol

- ticket scanners are kind of pointless considering they have people manning each machine anyway. Didn’t cause to much issue scanning tho. But the attendants aren’t paying attention to who comes in at all. It would be easy to sneak in imo.

- Band got moments to play songs and it was completely dominated by the sound system and video screen

• Like 1

The students in their relocated sections really brought it last night. They’re right across the isle from my seats on the east side north 20 yard line. Better than a bunch of olds. For a shitty opponent, the stands around me were pretty packed before kickoff for the National Anthem and The Eyes. Haven’t seen that in a while. Hopefully an improved season can help keep that up.
A huge negative was the new Champions Club, for those who’ve had access in the past. It’s now in San Jacinto Hall and the layout and overall vibe is terrible. I guess/hope this is temporary while they’re doing renovations at Bass. My kid and I had a better time at the food truck court.

Yea the Champions Club sucked massive balls

Scan and go beer is a nice touch.

Bob Cole has yet to speak

Bob Cole is alive and “well” (meaning he apparently never got, or somehow survived, Throat AIDS), and is as bad, if not worse, than ever.

I’ve accepted that a constant barrage of hard rock/rap/pop music is an thing, and the kids obviously dig it and hell, even I do at times.

But not in between every single play while we’re on defense….every. single. play. does NOT require a music buffer.

There was on brief series when I guess the DJ had to go take a dump or something and it was actually crowd noise and band music.

I’ll definitely be adding this to my Foundation post game survey so expect immediate changes!

P. S.:

LCL concert was awesome.
Getting into stadium was a breeze.
Beer availability was excellent (West Upper Deck)
Food availability in WUD was abysmal, but that’s just a given.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yea the Champions Club sucked massive balls

I was wondering about this… didn’t do Champions last year because of location but thought San Jac residence would be a lot better.  We hit Charley Crockett on this game and we’re thinking of doing Champions Club for Bama.  Was it just too packed? Lack of places to get drink?

Edited by The_highest_of_fives

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

Had a good time at the game last night. It always amazes me how people are always just constantly leaving and going even at more “important” moments of the game. And how many people go to not necessarily watch the game. It’s more, social hour in the stands.

- i thought the student section was great. They showed up and filled in the entire section. They were also pretty loud. Band was alright but not super loud. 

- the 3rd down graphic on the big screen really got people going. The 3 and out counter is kinda goofy but oh well haha. 

- had a problem with a facilities issue, tweeted to CDC, and Fernando Lovo responded directly and they took care of it quickly! 

-Royal burgers (sec 1, level 3) was closed for the first game of the year, again. They should just replace it lol

- ticket scanners are kind of pointless considering they have people manning each machine anyway. Didn’t cause to much issue scanning tho. But the attendants aren’t paying attention to who comes in at all. It would be easy to sneak in imo.

- Band got moments to play songs and it was completely dominated by the sound system and video screen

Your first point is what gets me at the games.  We are in section 8 and it’s just a constant stream of people up and down the stairs, no matter what’s happening on the field .   Also, more than a few who were on the verge of blackout drunk in our section.  By the 4Q they had space all to themselves as others wanted to be out of the inevitable splash zone.  

This was my first game in the stadium in about 10 years; kids activities took up my weekends but I'm now an empty nester.  The student section was great and the crowd was great overall, especially early in the game for a lightweight opponent.  The club music after every play on defense wears you down to the point where you're just sitting there hoping we get the ball back or the other team scores.  It sucks any organic life out of the stadium.  I'll go to a few games a year with the stadium like this but don't want to take the Jumbotron beating for every game, so TV it will be.

Also, don't mess with Texas people.  Is it that hard to pick up your beer cans and water bottles on the way out and put them in a recycling bin?  The stadium was trashed after the game and someone else has to clean up all of the crap.  One minute of looking around you and carrying your stuff out would save some other folks a huge amount of work.  I walked up towards the Posse after the game and saw discarded beer cans the whole way.  We have an awesome 98 year old stadium that has changed with the times and a beautiful campus with nice shady spots under fantastic old oak trees.  Clean up your stuff!

• Hook 'Em 5

^^How about put a few more trash cans out?  I picked up several beer cans on the way out outside the stadium & it took me 10 minutes to find a trash receptacle.  Make them numerous & very visible.

This isn’t that difficult, but UT sure finds a way to make it that way.

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Cajun said:

^^How about put a few more trash cans out?  I picked up several beer cans on the way out outside the stadium & it took me 10 minutes to find a trash receptacle.  Make them numerous & very visible.

This isn’t that difficult, but UT sure finds a way to make it that way.

Every single trash can and recycling can were turned upside down when I walked by the east side of DKR after the game.  Kinda like "Well, game is over and we've emptied them, we don't want anybody to use them any more tonight."  WTF

• Hook 'Em 2

Lots of improvements over prior years. 
- self scanning tickets was new to me and was great over the old hand held scanners

- Ads were not as intrusive. Scoreboard had game info on it and had small sponsored by logos instead of old permanent ads. Even the main billboard ads during time outs were better. Long way from the days of the Taco Bell gong. 
- I was under the upper deck in section 2 and Bobs voice did not carry under there but it was more humid 

-students sections were full and active  Fan cams spent most of the time on students which I think is brilliant for the social media generation  

845CDCFA-C74C-41E1-BE9A-FB0D6C5A2C5C.thumb.jpeg.a5a43fb26e554cd15f11d253ee5e60b2.jpeg

looks like I was close to @Armybrat

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 4

I was wondering about this… didn’t do Champions last year because of location but thought San Jac residence would be a lot better.  We hit Charley Crockett on this game and we’re thinking of doing Champions Club for Bama.  Was it just too packed? Lack of places to get drink?

Too small a space. Not adequately staffed at all. Terrible execution.

The side screens with stats were nice. The stats themselves sucked donkey dick. I’ve never seen the stats Rushing Attempts/Rushing TDs put together. Same with passing etc. So you would get something like 11/1 as the stat.
  • Like 1

When we renewed our two season tickets in Section 1 (same ones for 30+ years) we ordered & paid the exorbitant price for two seat-backs, I was surprised to discover that only one had been installed.

Informed the head staff guy above our section about the missing seat-back, so he called it in but said he doubted that maintenance would get to it in time for the game.

What is CDC’s contact email so I can get one installed before the Bama game?

Yes, we are old and sit for much of the game except for exciting plays.

17 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Lots of improvements over prior years. 
- self scanning tickets was new to me and was great over the old hand held scanners

- Ads were not as intrusive. Scoreboard had game info on it and had small sponsored by logos instead of old permanent ads. Even the main billboard ads during time outs were better. Long way from the days of the Taco Bell gong. 
- I was under the upper deck in section 2 and Bobs voice did not carry under there but it was more humid 

-students sections were full and active  Fan cams spent most of the time on students which I think is brilliant for the social media generation  

845CDCFA-C74C-41E1-BE9A-FB0D6C5A2C5C.thumb.jpeg.a5a43fb26e554cd15f11d253ee5e60b2.jpeg

looks like I was close to @Armybrat

We are even with the back of the endzone line & the goalposts - row 69 section 1, which is not on the same level with the section 2 row 69. More like I’m sitting by section 2’s row 75.

That has confused more than a few fans in the years since the lowest tier of seats were added down by the field.

Thought the in-game experience for game 1 was pretty solid. I liked how instead of playing some lame hype video before the team takes the field, they instead showed the players walking though the the tunnel. Loved the new band placement as well, but that just might be because they were closer to our usual seats.

Biggest complaints are still the band’s entrance (which is the same lame entrance as last year), and the fact that the tempo on the Eyes is way too slow. It’s damn near paced like a funeral dirge, and often results in the crowd singing the song faster than the band is playing it. It was so bad last last night that the students were at least 2 seconds ahead of the rest of the stadium. We had this issue last year, so I think it’s just something with the new director’s style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Band damn near got stampeded by the ULM team. The band tried to exit the field, after pre-game, while ULM was having a final warmup run.

Unfortunately, during the game, I couldn't hear the band at all from section 29.

Otherwise, everything went well for us.

Edited by pacman

I know it's been raining a lot lately and much of the stadium is older than it looks.  But the incessant pools of water all over the West side in particular was embarrassing and annoying.  Mud puddles, flickering overhead lights, and pools of tepid water-some 15to20' across.  For the hundreds of millions they've put into DKR-TMS over the years, some drainage upgrades would be nice.  Or level the damn concrete in those place at least.  

Entry and concession tech upgrades were nice.  Music between plays is so fucking loud and annoying.  I could barely talk to my kids about what was going on on the field.  Didn't realize they moved the Champions Club to SanJac dorms.  That place is not laid out well for a couple thousand drunks, but I guess it was the closest option to the stadium.  There's some game deal going on next Saturday at Bass before the Bama game though.  

Longhorn City Limits was cool.  Kids loved being splashed by the fountain and rocking out in the grass.   

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Informed the head staff guy above our section about the missing seat-back, so he called it in but said he doubted that maintenance would get to it in time for the game.

That is a horrible response from staff.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Native Horn said:

Every single trash can and recycling can were turned upside down when I walked by the east side of DKR after the game.  Kinda like "Well, game is over and we've emptied them, we don't want anybody to use them any more tonight."  WTF

Yup. They only have themselves to blame.  Idoits 

This is the oldest I have ever sounded in my life but…

First game since 2019. Everything about the SEZ from the two bachelor party terraces to the empty seats to the movie theatre seats that are utterly retarded looking is fucking embarrassing. Anyone stupid enough to get those suites deserves to be separated from their money.

the entire game day experience is now just a giant carnival for children.

it’s pathetic but I guess that’s what you have to do when you suck shit at football for twelve years going… 

crowd last night even for a first game and it being dkr was just sad. There was absolutely no noise on any of ulm‘s third downs. As bad as the music between ever play was, it was the only noise generated other than maybe the blocked punt where it almost kind of sounded like a college football game for a couple of seconds. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2