Scott Frost - a very rich unemployed person

immamac

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Why would it take years of lawsuits? Is it not clearly written that if he's fired before 10/1, he's due $15M. If after 10/1, he's due $7.5M?

If Nebraska did not negotiate an agreement with Frost to only pay $7.5M as a buyout and get to fire him early then that whole administration is full of very stupid and inpatient folks. Then you turn around and must trust the same folks to make a good hire. Glad it is happening to a bunch of cry babies that got tired of losing to Texas.

Edited by DanTheHorn

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I don’t think that’s an Alberts-Frost discussion. He just says, “we’re letting you go now”. Conversations have either already occurred between his camp and Nebraska, or more likely will be occurring now. $7.5 million is nothing for them or any big school, especially when compared to the National laughingstock they are. Michigan and Tennessee never fell this far. We never came close. When you think it couldn’t get worse under Strong or Sark last year, it most definitely can. Much harder at Texas just due to the athletes Texas HSFB puts out, but it can be worse. 

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

No way that happens people with money like money. They could let him know hey we're starting official search whether you leave or not. As sucky a coach as he's been, he's still a Nebraska alum.

No one's paying him 7.5M when they could just as easily say we're paying you but don't come to work until Oct 1st.

Apologies @Porterhouse you were correct and I apparently underestimated how stupid the NU AD and boosters truly are.  Just wow... giving him extra $7.5M is just like aggy level stupid.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Trev Alberts didn't become Nebraska AD until 2021. Frost was hired in December, 2017.

When was his contract restructured?

Never mind, let me help you with that.

”After a 3-9 season in 2021, Alberts restructured Frost’s contract. The Wood River native’s salary dropped from $5 million to $4 million, and his buyout was cut in half from $15 million to $7.5 million after October 1, 2022. Alberts chose the more expensive buyout option.”

https://nebraskapublicmedia.org/en/news/news-articles/after-31-losses-in-five-seasons-nebraska-fires-scott-frost/

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Scott Frost - a very rich unemployed person
Just now, longhornmatt said:

Trev Alberts should be fired for this.  Or at least that should be a much more fireable offense for an AD than a coaching hire just not working out.  Dude just lost the department $7.5 million for no reason. 

And if it's Booster money that's even worse.  Imagine what $7.5MM in the NIL coffers means in the current environment.  If they are actually paying him the entire buyout it is just pure insanity.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It’s not the ADs money. Dropping $7.5m to get the donors to stop calling might be worth it out of his budget.

Maybe thy can pull a big upset rivalry win out of their hat. It’s been done before. But I don’t know if the Nebraska players care enough to don headbands that say “Scott.”

ACFAEE7C-1593-4DEA-88C0-A270A2D43A02.png.8e1bcbe991273971f62ecb8e37f1d799.png

21 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Trev Alberts should be fired for this.  Or at least that should be a much more fireable offense for an AD than a coaching hire just not working out.  Dude just lost the department $7.5 million for no reason. 

After last night, what transpired happened with full approval of boosters, donors, the Board of Regents, everyone.  Alberts didn't just decide to spend an extra $7.5 million out of the goodness of his heart towards Frost, or because he was pissed.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Their only chance going forward is to money whip recruits with top level NIL deals. No one coming out of high school views Nebraska as a destination school. No one with options wants to live in Lincoln for 4 years.

Yeah I'm sure Nebraska can just outspend the rest of college football

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Their only chance going forward is to money whip recruits with top level NIL deals. No one coming out of high school views Nebraska as a destination school. No one with options wants to live in Lincoln for 4 years.

I see this said on here a lot, but Lincoln is a pretty cool little town and the downtown/haymarket campus/capital area is a nice area. I travel there every other month or so and it’s not one of the areas I hate (like KC or STL).

Don’t get me wrong, I quit my job before moving to the state of Nebraska, but Lincoln is better than most people give them credit for.

39 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Tom Herman would be a good hire for them if he could keep it together.   

I was thinking the same thing.  If anything the last few years of hires has shown us, there are no sure things out there no matter how much money you throw at the next shiny object. 
If both parties are smart they should be able to get him relatively cheap. Short (3 year) contract with a lowish buy out in case you have to pull the ripcord.  Herman gets a shot at the big time and an opportunity to rehab his career and reputation without a stint in bumfuck small town program. 

8 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I was thinking the same thing.  If anything the last few years of hires has shown us, there are no sure things out there no matter how much money you throw at the next shiny object. 
If both parties are smart they should be able to get him relatively cheap. Short (3 year) contract with a lowish buy out in case you have to pull the ripcord.  Herman gets a shot at the big time and an opportunity to rehab his career and reputation without a stint in bumfuck small town program. 

Ummm, you sure about that?

I don't understand how there can be any reason not to wait for October 1 to save $7.5 million.  How can doing it now possibly help with hiring the next coach, recruiting, or anything?

It could be a couple of things. They may just be doing Frost a solid because he’s a legendary player. Or there is shit going on behind the scenes and he is so fucking incompetent, think John Blake with OU, that every day he was there he destroyed the program a little more
  • Hook 'Em 1

I see this said on here a lot, but Lincoln is a pretty cool little town and the downtown/haymarket campus/capital area is a nice area. I travel there every other month or so and it’s not one of the areas I hate (like KC or STL).
Don’t get me wrong, I quit my job before moving to the state of Nebraska, but Lincoln is better than most people give them credit for.

Lincoln is probably very cool for milquetoast white folk but I’m not sure linebackers from South Oak Cliff will be swayed by antiquing at the hay market on Sunday afternoons.
  • Haha 3