Tell Me About Arkansas

Vic Mackey

3 minutes ago, lateshow said:

Did you watch the doc? 

Yes, when it came out, so its been a few years.  But also closely followed it all when it happened.

There were many at fault in that deal.  HDN, Malzahn, Broyles, Mustain, Mustain's mom, other Springdale parents and fans.  It was ugly.  The doc tells one side.  The other side isn't pretty but he wasn't this huge victim.  

I wasn't talking so much about ruining him on the field. The way he was used as a pawn in the struggle between Gus's ambitions and HDN trying to hold on to his job at Arkansas did real damage to his psyche. I think it ruined his confidence the way it played out. Not to mention, he was kind of odd anyway. 

From what I understand, he wanted to go to Texas and was set on Texas until Gus wanted him to wait and the Horns moved on to their next option. Then he wanted Notre Dame, but gave in to the pressure to stay in state. 

20 minutes ago, lateshow said:

I wasn't talking so much about ruining him on the field. The way he was used as a pawn in the struggle between Gus's ambitions and HDN trying to hold on to his job at Arkansas did real damage to his psyche. I think it ruined his confidence the way it played out. Not to mention, he was kind of odd anyway. 

From what I understand, he wanted to go to Texas and was set on Texas until Gus wanted him to wait and the Horns moved on to their next option. Then he wanted Notre Dame, but gave in to the pressure to stay in state. 

I don't disagree with any of that and agree on the Texas and ND bits.  He also had a big attraction to the military academies (and military later in life).  I've wondered if he's got some Aspergers in him. The draw to structure.  The awkwardness.  The ADHD diagnosis later at USC.  What appears to be depression.  The protective mother.  That's a major assumption, I know, but have wondered it.

It didn't help that he called out his future head coach in a book (and said coach was petty and super insecure).  Or that his mom was posting on message boards complaining and calling the coaches and AD to complain about the offense.  It also didn't help that from a football standpoint, the right decisions were made regarding the offense and his participation in it.  He was a true freshman QB and wasn't very good that season despite the W/L record (and shouldn't have been expected to be).  And McFadden broke out on a national level.

Lots of egos involved in that situation. 

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 1

I hadn't seen that doc before.  I only vaguely remember all that crap.  I was fairly impressed with him though.  Seems like a decent, very likeable and bright guy with physical ability that he didn't really have the mindset or inclination to take advantage of, but was sort of forced to by a number of factors.

I knew a guy in high school that was earmarked as QB1 at a very prominent football program.  Great athlete, good dude, but he quit football after freshman year because he hated it. Everyone was shocked. I sense that he was a lot like Mustain, but a skosh more assertive with respect to his athletic career.  He wound up as a preferred basketball walk-on, ironically, at Arkansas.

Edited by TwiceHorn

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I hadn't seen that doc before.  I only vaguely remember all that crap.  I was fairly impressed with him though.  Seems like a decent, very likeable and bright guy with physical ability that he didn't really have the mindset or inclination to take advantage of, but was sort of forced to by a number of factors.

I knew a guy in high school that was earmarked as QB1 at a very prominent football program.  Great athlete, good dude, but he quit football after freshman year because he hated it. Everyone was shocked. I sense that he was a lot like Mustain, but a skosh more assertive with respect to his athletic career.  He wound up as a preferred basketball walk-on, ironically, at Arkansas.

The grind of football can be a huge pain in the ass after a while.

Way-Too-Early Score Predictions: Alabama at Arkansas

ByCHARLIE POTTER Jun 22, 12:00 PM
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

This story is part of an 11-week long breakdown BamaOnLine is doing of every game on Alabama’s 2018 schedule (sorry, The Citadel). And we continue the series with Arkansas.

To cap Arkansas week, here’s a look at the BamaOnLine staff’s way-too-early score predictions for Alabama’s Week 5 game against the Razorbacks, coming out of spring practice.

Charlie Potter: Alabama 38, Arkansas 14

More of the same expected this fall in the SEC, nothing to see here...

On 6/21/2018 at 5:29 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

I'm a bit unsympathetic to Nutt on having to deal with the egos of players and parents.  That's a core function of the job.

It's easy to lay the blame at the feet of the student athlete when you no longer work for the school and you don't look those men in the eye that you threw under the bus...

They make salacious claims that side meats with sauce are some how superior to main course meats such as brisket. Such inferior barbecue causes their brains to deteriorate almost to levels of vegans due to not getting sufficient iron. They are not to be trusted and should be called out as the pariahs they truly are.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 11:07 AM, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

They make salacious claims that side meats with sauce are some how superior to main course meats such as brisket. Such inferior barbecue causes their brains to deteriorate almost to levels of vegans due to not getting sufficient iron. They are not to be trusted and should be called out as the pariahs they truly are.

In my opinion, brisket always beats hog...

Arkansas should beat Eastern Illinois, north Texas State, Ole' Miss, Tulsa, Vandy, and Missouri (although they managed to lose to them last year)

that gets them to 6 wins and they SHOULD beat CSU, but it is on the road and CSU did win 7 last year (against a lot of bad teams though)....CSU did play Bama decent though (for a G5 team), beat a terrible Oregon State and should have beaten CU if they did not get "little brother syndrome" and screw it up and they were close with a pretty good Marshall team in the bowl game

north Texas state fans (generally known as total football idiots) have the Arkansas game circled as "their game to show the comatose giant is awake", but SMU kicked the shit out of them last year with aggy Chad as coach and Arkansas surely has better talent than aggy Chad had at SMU especially in the lines and just a deeper team overall so north Texas state should get thumped plus aggy Chad and staff are familiar with north Texas state and their players and what they run

so with a CSU win that is 7 wins so far Auburn and Alabama are most likely losses so that leaves aggy, LSU and Mississippi State to get 8 wins or more all 3 of those are winnable games, but as of late Arkansas has only really been competitive with MSU....they do play LSU well and had some wins a few years back, but not in the last couple

if they can go through the post Auburn, aggy, Bama string of games and beat Ole' Miss, Tulsa and Vandy in a row then a bye week before LSU and MSU maybe they can win one or both of those....if they can get the aggy win in that 3 week stretch that looks really good for the Ole. Miss, Tulsa Vandy run and being 4-2 out of those 6 games would give them a lot of bye week energy for LSU @ Arkansas

and LSU has a pretty brutal schedule of Miami, D1-AA, Auburn, La Tech, Ole' Miss, Florida, Georgia, MSU, bye Bama so I see at least 5 losses in there before the Arkansas game (that La Tech game could be a good moneyline bet with LSU most likely being 1-2 going into it and the corndogs enraged at gumbo)

a 6-3 Arkansas Vs a 4-5 LSU at home with Arkansas off a bye and LSU off of Bama could easily be an Arkansas win their fans would be moonshined to the gills.....a 7-2 Arkansas Vs a 4-5 or worse LSU would probably be a beat down because LSU would be in quit mode and wondering who their next coach is

so really that aggy game and Arkansas taking care of teams they should take care of is the big setup for that LSU game that I think makes or breaks a meh to really good season

the way the aggy, LSU and MSU schedules set up prior to Arkansas playing them Vs the way the Arkansas schedule sets up id favorable for Arkansas as well

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Connelly previews Arkansas today: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/1/17570232/arkansas-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Despite a culture change, it’s not hard to see Arkansas quickly improving offensively. The defense might be hopeless, but S&P+ projections (which ignore coaching changes and look only at recent performance, recent recruiting, and returning production) give the Hogs a chance at fielding a top-30 offense and a nearly top-50 team overall.

That creates a narrow path to six wins and a bowl. The Hogs are projected favorites in five games and are one-possession underdogs in four more.

Avoid an early stumble against Colorado State on the road and North Texas at home — easier said than done, if the offense is only in second or third gear — and Arkansas will carry bowl hopes into November. Considering how far the Hogs fell last year (and had been falling for a while), that should be considered a resounding success.

Even if this year ends up a struggle, Morris needed a year to get situated at SMU, too. And only his offensive line and maybe the secondary are particularly senior-heavy this year. I’m not sure what the ceiling is — eight wins? 10? more? — but I’m confident in Morris’ ability to get close to it soon.

Aggy Now Arky Chad is actually recruiting really well there.  For years due to either incompetence, ignorance, or sloth, they never recruited Texas well despite being a border state.  Morris knows better than that and has the contacts in Texas to matter.  Don't know about this year but he might have them a consistent 8/9 win team in a few years.  

20 hours ago, Player said:

What in the ever living fuck is wrong with you? aggy v hog will NEVER be equivalent to our game.

You’re a shit poster, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

I never said it is the same, their version of a north Texas neutral site game... You seem slightly unhappy for some reason, life will improve, stay positive..!

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Aggy Now Arky Chad is actually recruiting really well there.  For years due to either incompetence, ignorance, or sloth, they never recruited Texas well despite being a border state.  Morris knows better than that and has the contacts in Texas to matter.  Don't know about this year but he might have them a consistent 8/9 win team in a few years.  

I would say it was a bit of all the above, as Bert ran an offense that wouldn't mesh well with the high tempo offenses of most Texas high schools...

Chad is serious, you guys..!

Chad Morris really wants fans to start taking QB Daulton Hyatt seriously

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com › Arkansas Football
18 hours ago - Cole Kelly and Ty Storey have been the two consistent names brought up for the starting quarterback job at Arkansas, but it appears Chad Morris also has ...

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Non-conference schedule: 

Eastern Illinois

Tulsa

North Texas

Colorado State (considered to be their toughest non-conference opponent and currently losing to powerhouse Hawaii in the opener). 

This is embarrassing. 

They are beating aggy this year and it'll be glorious.  Aggy will be beat up from Clemson and Bama' and Arky Chad will burn that garbage secondary of aggy all game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Non-conference schedule: 

Eastern Illinois

Tulsa

North Texas

Colorado State (considered to be their toughest non-conference opponent and currently losing to powerhouse Hawaii in the opener). 

This is embarrassing. 

Had Michigan on schedule but they bought their way out for $2 million to play ND. CSU was the only opponent to be found that late. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 10:36 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Meh.  I think that's a pile of horseshit.  My whole family is from Arkansas.  Everyone on my Mom's side is a UA graduate.  A bunch of the descendants live in Texas and we have spent dozens of thanksgiving an other fall weekends in Arkansas, with Texas plates, without issue.  Maybe, possibly in Fayetteville, or some of the smaller towns up that way on an actual gameday, but I tend to doubt it.

While the fans may get torqued up in preparation for a game, you encounter much more generalized hostility in Oklahoma and College Station than Arkansas, generally, in my experience.

Actually happened to my Dad in ‘69 and I believe him. 

6 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Actually happened to my Dad in ‘69 and I believe him. 

It must have been pretty hostile to travel to Arkansas in those days, the Hogs should have came with to the XII instead of the SEC, as the Razorbacks had asked the Big8 of joining...

On 8/25/2018 at 8:07 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Non-conference schedule: 

Eastern Illinois

Tulsa

North Texas

This is embarrassing. 

Looks like a typical SEC non conference schedule to me. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...