Tell Me About Arkansas

Vic Mackey

Why is he leaving Arkansas for Oklahoma?  On the surface, that doesn't make any sense, especially being this late.  He'll be the 3rd or 4th option there.
Per an arkie friend, he got in an argument at the spring game with his coach. So he grabbed his bat and ball and went to Norman.

On 4/25/2021 at 10:23 AM, markstanco said:
On 4/23/2021 at 3:28 PM, Aqua Buddha said:
Why is he leaving Arkansas for Oklahoma?  On the surface, that doesn't make any sense, especially being this late.  He'll be the 3rd or 4th option there.

Per an arkie friend, he got in an argument at the spring game with his coach. So he grabbed his bat and ball and went to Norman.

Apparently OU tried to come after Treylon Burks (the #1 receiver and one of the best in the SEC) first but he said no so they moved on to Woods. Probably wants to play in a more pass-happy offense and Rattler is a more established QB. The timing was definitely weird though and this new rule is going to make it even harder for mid to lower tier schools to compete if teams like Alabama, etc. can just poach their best players every year with no recourse for tampering.

Funny thing is the guy who replaces Woods is most likely Jaqualyn Crawford who transferred from Oklahoma to Arkansas last offseason and sat out last year.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lobo

Related question---what time do y'all think the Texas @ Arkansas game will kick-off in September?  We're the only real marquee opponent playing AT an SEC stadium that weekend.  Pitt @ Tennessee.  A&M v. Colorado in Denver, I presume will be covered under the Pac-12 TV agreement.  N.C. State at Mississippi State.  

I don't think that CBS would roll out the primetime slot (they only have a fixed number throughout the year) for a likely barely in Top 20/25 Texas versus a "hoping to go .500 this season" Arkansas team out of the gate.  I'm thinking this is a 2:30p game still on CBS, maybe ESPN.  But I just don't see it going primetime.  Thoughts?  

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Related question---what time do y'all think the Texas @ Arkansas game will kick-off in September?  We're the only real marquee opponent playing AT an SEC stadium that weekend.  Pitt @ Tennessee.  A&M v. Colorado in Denver, I presume will be covered under the Pac-12 TV agreement.  N.C. State at Mississippi State.  

I don't think that CBS would roll out the primetime slot (they only have a fixed number throughout the year) for a likely barely in Top 20/25 Texas versus a "hoping to go .500 this season" Arkansas team out of the gate.  I'm thinking this is a 2:30p game still on CBS, maybe ESPN.  But I just don't see it going primetime.  Thoughts?  

My guess is ABC at 6:30pm

Guest Lobo

ABC can't pickup SEC games.  ESPN/2 can, particularly for primetime.  CBS 2:30p slot would go to the marquee non-conf. game that week, which is probably us.  Though a swap deal could be made to put Arkansas/Texas in a more 'primetime' slot, but it'd have to be on ESPN/2, starting between 6:00-7:00p (CDT).  I don't see this being an 11:00a kickoff with national coverage.  I dunno, I just know ABC isn't a possibility.

Oregon at Ohio State that day already national on FOX at 11:00a.  Washington at Michigan will likely end up the primetime game on ABC.  Stanford @ USC either a 2:30p ABC regional or ESPN national.  

I'm sure we'll end up at 6:30p on ESPN2, but I'm gonna revolve plans around a 2:30p-CBS.  

23 minutes ago, Lobo said:

ABC can't pickup SEC games.  ESPN/2 can, particularly for primetime.  CBS 2:30p slot would go to the marquee non-conf. game that week, which is probably us.  Though a swap deal could be made to put Arkansas/Texas in a more 'primetime' slot, but it'd have to be on ESPN/2, starting between 6:00-7:00p (CDT).  I don't see this being an 11:00a kickoff with national coverage.  I dunno, I just know ABC isn't a possibility.

Oregon at Ohio State that day already national on FOX at 11:00a.  Washington at Michigan will likely end up the primetime game on ABC.  Stanford @ USC either a 2:30p ABC regional or ESPN national.  

I'm sure we'll end up at 6:30p on ESPN2, but I'm gonna revolve plans around a 2:30p-CBS.  

Ok, pick whatever Disney owned channel you want at 6:30pm.

Guest Lobo
7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Princess Aurora After Dark?  Is that a channel?  

Guest Lobo

Absolutely.  I agree.  I think they can only do like ~8 or 10 primetime games on CBS at SEC stadiums.  With Arkansas not doing great lately, they may opt to save those windows for other matchups later in the season.  And I think, according to Matt Sarz and the LSU tv guru guy, if CBS passes on primetime...ESPN can pick one up here or there but only if CBS passes altogether.  I can see CBS not wanting to burn a primetime window for a #24 Texas @ NR Arkansas...but there's no way they won't gobble it up for their 2:30p slot.  

30 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I can see CBS not wanting to burn a primetime window for a #24 Texas @ NR Arkansas...but there's no way they won't gobble it up for their 2:30p slot.  

Maybe you're right on CBS taking this game, but CBS may not really wants Arky vs TEXAS.  Maybe CBS would prefer to drum up more attention for bigger names in SEC or use up a required spot for lesser SEC teams since BAMA, JAWJA, GATOR and LSU will get most of late season CBS love...

Also, maybe CBS doesn't want to help promote the B12 and TEXAS early in the 2021 season because TEXAS plays rest of their games on FOX/Disney Sport Channels.  May not want to make UT look really good vs SEC especially against a lesser SEC team like Arky.

Other possible games instead:

• Aggy vs Colo
  • MIZZU vs UK
  • NCST vs MissSt

Guest Lobo

GOod point on CBS wanting to stick it to the Mouse or whatever the hell that robot thing on FOX is called...but Colorado will have Pac-12 First tier rights with that A&M game.  NCST/MISS ST could be an alluring option for CBS and then relegate us to some afternoon ESPN2/ESPNU slot. 

I don't seem to remember CBS picking up a lot of (any?) SEC non conf games in the 230 window, but that may be because in the past CBS had US Open tennis around that time of year. And also the SEC usually had some early season conf matchups in weeks 2 and/or 3 that would get the 230 spot.

This year ESPN has the full US Open, including the women's final 4p-7p on that Saturday.  Would they lead that into Texas at Arkansas at 7 or 730 on ESPN?  Seems possible. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

SEC will want the Primetime spot for Arky and SEC. 

LSU at TEXAS was a huge TV draw (ABC) a couple years ago...

Conferences don't get to pick the time of  games. The networks do. 

The networks basically do a draft, for lack of a better term, based on order of rights and numbers of appearances, etc for each conference under their TV deals. 

Given that Ohio State Oregon was announced, I presume that draft is complete and we should see kick times for other games start rolling out.  

14 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Conferences don't get to pick the time of  games. The networks do. 

The networks basically do a draft, for lack of a better term, based on order of rights and numbers of appearances, etc for each conference under their TV deals. 

Given that Ohio State Oregon was announced, I presume that draft is complete and we should see kick times for other games start rolling out.  

So you're saying that the SEC who has their Network on ESPN,  has no influence over game times...

tenor.gif?itemid=6211417

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So you're saying that the SEC who has their Network on ESPN,  has no influence over game times...

tenor.gif?itemid=6211417

Sorry if you don't know how it works, guy. 

The SEC's ability to demand a certain time slot for a specific game would be suggesting that despite paying 174  million dollars for 2021 TV rights, ESPN forgot to negotiate the ability to have control over the time windows of games. Your gif is more appropriate for that insane notion. 

The SEC can tell ESPN what they want. And the Mouse will respond by saying "lol"

The game will likely end up on prime time because the schedule isn't top heavy that week and because, well, Texas. Not because the SEC said pretty please. 

Edited by TornACL
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TornACL said:

The SEC can tell ESPN what they want. And the Mouse will respond by saying "lol"  The game will likely end up on prime time because the schedule isn't top heavy that week and because, well, Texas. Not because the SEC said pretty please. 

Just messing' with yah TornACL...

But I would change one of your comments to the following...

The SEC can tell ESPN what they want. And the Mouse will respond by saying...

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

SEC will want the Primetime spot for Arky and SEC. 

LSU at TEXAS was a huge TV draw (ABC) a couple years ago...

giphy.gif

E1rmI-lVEAMWheK?format=jpg&name=large

Now I am interested to see where the opener against Louisiana gets slated.

You'd think the LHN games would be Rice and Kansas. The Cajuns carry enough hype into 2021, with a likely preseason Top 25 ranking, that I think it might get pulled into ABC/ESPN as a lead in to Miami- Alabama. 

I have a bad feeling we might get the dreaded 11am ABC spot for this one. For what it's worth Matt Sarz is still predicting 7pm LHN kickoff for this game. 

I took the road trip to the Notre Dame with my kids and my nephew at the time they were in their late teens and late 20's. So we are on our way back still wearing Texas gear and we walked into to a restaurant in Arkansas full of Arkansas football memorabilia all over the walls. The server seems to be in her late 40s, so when she goes to get water, I tell the young folks we need to go and find another place to eat. They ask why? I say look at the walls and we are wearing our gear. They once again ask why leave? It hits me the rivalry is so dead and that is so sad because it was great. I explain and the kids say we are hungry we are eating.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I took the road trip to the Notre Dame with my kids and my nephew at the time they were in their late teens and late 20's. So we are on our way back still wearing Texas gear and we walked into to a restaurant in Arkansas full of Arkansas football memorabilia all over the walls. The server seems to be in her late 40s, so when she goes to get water, I tell the young folks we need to go and find another place to eat. They ask why? I say look at the walls and we are wearing our gear. They once again ask why leave? It hits me the rivalry is so dead and that is so sad because it was great. I explain and the kids say we are hungry we are eating.

Yeah someone definitely spit in your food. If you're lucky, that's all they did. 

• Like 1

Absolutely.  I agree.  I think they can only do like ~8 or 10 primetime games on CBS at SEC stadiums.  With Arkansas not doing great lately, they may opt to save those windows for other matchups later in the season.  And I think, according to Matt Sarz and the LSU tv guru guy, if CBS passes on primetime...ESPN can pick one up here or there but only if CBS passes altogether.  I can see CBS not wanting to burn a primetime window for a #24 Texas @ NR Arkansas...but there's no way they won't gobble it up for their 2:30p slot.  

We’ll be much higher than 24. Hype train will be rolling after a W over higher ranked UL Lafayette. What a time to be alive.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

You'd think the LHN games would be Rice and Kansas. The Cajuns carry enough hype into 2021, with a likely preseason Top 25 ranking, that I think it might get pulled into ABC/ESPN as a lead in to Miami- Alabama. 

I have a bad feeling we might get the dreaded 11am ABC spot for this one. For what it's worth Matt Sarz is still predicting 7pm LHN kickoff for this game. 

Would not be surprised if the rice game was on CBS Sports network again 

Guest Lobo
3 hours ago, TornACL said:

Not sure which conference TV allocation the Stanford v. Kansas State (from Arlington) falls to.  That's about the most 'marquee' matchup opening weekend in our league.  West Virginia at Maryland will fall to Big 10 TV and Texas Tech at Houston will be on whatever their TV deal is in whatever conference they're in this month.  So FOX gets to take Tier I rights a few weekends a year from ABC/ESPN in the Big XII.  Opening weekend could be one of those.  ULL at Texas, possibly featuring two ranked teams, may only garner region attention so FSN/FS1 may stick it on at 2:30p, as could ABC.  Which should make for a really pleasant day of weather. 

It's been awhile since we've had an opening day game in the afternoon.  Because it's usually a decent enough national name like Maryland to go on at 11am, or it's a no-name school that gets relegated to the LHN and kicks-off at night.  LA-Lafayette may buck that trend and up in the afternoon for a major network, but for regional broadcast.  

San Jose State was also on at 2:30p in 2017 very early in the year but the LHN picked that for some weird fucking reason.  I'm guessing LA-Lafayette ends up though at 6:00/6:30p on a non-FOX fox property or non-ABC Disney property.  

Good news is ESPN/ABC listed to carry Oklahoma, with ESPN listed first.  Might be nothing, but ESPN is much more likely to put us on at 2:30p rather than ABC/FOX/FS1 at 11:00a.  We seem to get a 2:30p game about every 5 years or so we're about due.  I know it seems like 11:00a is just the tradition nowadays because we've been under that since about 2000, but I strongly prefer the 2:30p kicks.  

Guest Lobo

True, it was fun when you spent Friday night in Dallas.  Most years now, I just go up that morning and it's been brutal on my old ass to start boozing at 6am on a bus.  

Arkansas at 6:00p should be fun.  Until 10:00p in Fayettevile. What a godawful shitlump of people their fanbase is.  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

True, it was fun when you spent Friday night in Dallas.  Most years now, I just go up that morning and it's been brutal on my old ass to start boozing at 6am on a bus.  

Arkansas at 6:00p should be fun.  Until 10:00p in Fayettevile. What a godawful shitlump of people their fanbase is.  

Remember downtown Dallas on Friday night before ou? Po-lice making both fanbases walk down different sides of the street for separation. Didn't matter. Cussing each other, throwing things--rocks, beer bottles. Fights--teeth, hair, and eyeballs all over the concrete--no, wait; that was Brother Dave. Anyway, it was a different time. We thought it was fun. We thought we were invincible. We didn't know any better. 

Guest Lobo

Those Friday nights were always a blast.  Even the Saturday nights under Mack were still fun.  I'm just too old to do it like that anymore.  Shit, I look forward to any 2:30p kickoff these days.  Can still play with the kids in the morning or yardwork, start drinking at noon which isn't too painful, and get home by 7:00p in time for dinner and bedtime stories. 

But the way our program's cache and our TV deals are structured, seems like 80% of our games are either 11am or 6/7pm types.  That's fine, good for the program, I get it.  Everybody has a preference for kickoff times and they change over the years.  Like Saturday night games when traveling to away opponents, those are the best.  Gives you the day to enjoy their campus environs, see the tailgate action, etc.  11am kickoffs on the road are no damn fun.  Except 11am Oklahoma State  in Stillwater and WVU at nooon a few years ago.  Boozing it up with those folks at damn near dawn was a helluva lotta fun.  Particularly since there isn't jackshit to see around their campus except the bars so it worked out really nicely.  And when we return to Columbus in a few years, that game needs to be a 12noon start-EDT.  That way passers-by have a better chance to see my freshly-stabbed body in the ditch.   

After Sarks tone-deaf attempt to hire Mike Stoops, twice. I hope to God, somebody has clued him into exactly how Arkansas is gonna treat this game. Texas has always been their superbowl. And even though to the younger generation of fans and players that go to Texas don't really care about the hogs. I know for a fact Texas hate is born and bred in every little piggy heart. Sark has to know this. And he has to have the team ready for it. Cus if our team comes out thinking they are getting some sub .500 lap dog, we are all in for a very long and embarrassing evening. 

Can you say Maryland?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 10:01 AM, NorLa Horns said:

After Sarks tone-deaf attempt to hire Mike Stoops, twice. I hope to God, somebody has clued him into exactly how Arkansas is gonna treat this game. Texas has always been their superbowl. And even though to the younger generation of fans and players that go to Texas don't really care about the hogs. I know for a fact Texas hate is born and bred in every little piggy heart. Sark has to know this. And he has to have the team ready for it. Cus if our team comes out thinking they are getting some sub .500 lap dog, we are all in for a very long and embarrassing evening. 

Can you say Maryland?

Just make sure SARK sees this stuff...

Guest Lobo
On 5/18/2021 at 12:11 PM, LTtxfan said:

E1rmI-lVEAMWheK?format=jpg&name=large

He looks like the answer to the question, "What if, instead of dressing like a woman, Eddie Izzard dressed like a redneck moron?"  
Does he have a flag? 

On 5/26/2021 at 10:01 AM, NorLa Horns said:

Can you say Maryland?

Yep. Dumbass Mack let them smack us around in 2000 and 2003 because he didn’t buy into rivalries. Moron. 

On 5/18/2021 at 6:06 PM, Royale with cheese said:

Remember downtown Dallas on Friday night before ou? Po-lice making both fanbases walk down different sides of the street for separation. Didn't matter. Cussing each other, throwing things--rocks, beer bottles. Fights--teeth, hair, and eyeballs all over the concrete--no, wait; that was Brother Dave. Anyway, it was a different time. We thought it was fun. We thought we were invincible. We didn't know any better. 

I haven't seen that since the 1950"s when they boarded up storefronts.