An answer to the question that no one was asking

Francisco 2.0

"Why isn't there a Ferris Bueller spin-off"?  

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/ferris-buellers-day-off-spinoff-1235346008/

Paramount Pictures is getting ready to revisit “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.” A spinoff of John Hughes’ beloved teen comedy is in the works at the studio, with the creators of “Cobra Kai” producing, Variety has confirmed.

Titled “Sam and Victor’s Day Off,” the film is a side story that focuses on the titular characters on the same day as Ferris (Matthew Broderick), Cameron (Alan Ruck) and Sloane (Mia Sara) skipped school in the ’86 flick. In the original film, Sam and Victor were valets who took Cameron’s father’s red Ferrari on a joy-ride. The characters went unnamed in the original film, and were portrayed by Richard Edson and the late Larry “Flash” Jenkins.

Jon Hurwtiz, Hayden Schlossberg and Josh Heald, who created another expansion of an ’80s teen film in “Karate Kid” sequel series “Cobra Kai,” are producing the film, while their head of development Dina Hillier executive produces. Paul Young, producer of “Key & Peele,” will also produce via Make Good Content. Bill Posley, a writer for “Cobra Kai” who made his feature directorial debut with this year’s “Bitch Ass,” is set to write the screenplay. A director for the film has not yet been announced.

The film will be the first spinoff of one of Hughes’ directorial efforts, which were almost always standalone projects. The king of teen comedies, Hughes is also known for “Pretty in Pink,” “The Breakfast Club,” “Weird Science” and “Planes, Trains and Automobiles.” The original “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” was one of his most successful films, grossing $70 million and becoming the 10th highest grossing domestic film in the year it released. The film is also notable for launching the careers of its young cast, particularly Broderick, Ruck and Jennifer Grey, who portrayed Ferris’ sister Jeannie.

News of “Sam and Victor’s Day Off” was first reported by Deadline.

46 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, that’s not a completely horrible idea. There’s a ton of leeway to make up what those dopes were doing all afternoon in the Ferrari. 

Probably will intersect with Ferris a time or two- outside wrigley or the parade, where they could have been seen but weren’t. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Richard Edson was the original drummer for Sonic Youth. 

I didn't learn that until recently and I've loved him in everything he's done particularly "Good Morning Vietnam."  Curious to see who they'll cast for the Edson role...do they go handsome Hollywood leading man or go with somebody who, you know...looks like Richard Edson.  Probably can't afford anybody too expensive since the 1961 Ferrari 350GT California about $20mm.  I guess they could lease one from a collector and get insane insurance on it.  Plus wear/tear and mileage...for some reason I don't think running the car in reverse after filming wraps is gonna fool a collector.  

Am wildly curious how they dress the set for 1986 Chicago.  For that alone, I'm in.   

RIP Laaaaaarrrrrrrrrry Jenkins...let's do this!  

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I didn't learn that until recently and I've loved him in everything he's done particularly "Good Morning Vietnam."  Curious to see who they'll cast for the Edson role...do they go handsome Hollywood leading man or go with somebody who, you know...looks like Richard Edson.  Probably can't afford anybody too expensive since the 1961 Ferrari 350GT California about $20mm.  I guess they could lease one from a collector and get insane insurance on it.  Plus wear/tear and mileage...for some reason I don't think running the car in reverse after filming wraps is gonna fool a collector.  

Am wildly curious how they dress the set for 1986 Chicago.  For that alone, I'm in.   

RIP Laaaaaarrrrrrrrrry Jenkins...let's do this!  

Probably easiest to build a replica or three of the car. In that case, I'd be curious whether they dub in the correct engine note. Ferrari will probably sue them over it either way. 

22 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

see what a finski can do to a guy's attitude?

I always thought he said “Fisky”?  Or is this like a Mamet situation where Hughes allowed one line to be changed by one sound?   I mean, they’re both from Chicago.  

cameron does sound like he walked out of a Mamet movie 

12 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I always thought he said “Fisky”?  Or is this like a Mamet situation where Hughes allowed one line to be changed by one sound?   I mean, they’re both from Chicago.  

cameron does sound like he walked out of a Mamet movie 

a finsky or fin is a way of saying he slipped him a five dollar bill.  or a fiver, if you're into that.  earlier he says, "i'm gonna give the guy a fiver to watch it".

Edited by henrygandorf

Nah, I get the terminology.  I just phonetically heard it different.  Thought it was some clever nuance.  Hughes did have a way of introducing lingo of young people to mainstream movies years before they were commonplace in middle American vernacular.  Some would say he was a righteous dude.  

11 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

if we refuse to make new ip and keep ripping off what was developed 30 years ago, what is hollywood going to do in 30 years?  think of the creatives!

plenty of stuff in the 80's/90's was remade from shit in the 50's and 60's.  the money pit, brewster's millions, man on fire, father of the bride, birdcage, cape fear, oceans eleven, roxanne, etc.

as long as there's art in other countries, as long as people write books, as long as people write plays, there will be plenty of source material.

4 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

game of thrones from the DireWolves perspective. 

Star Wars from the perspective of the Bothans

Star Trek from Nurse Chapel's perspective 

there was a "forrest gump from jenny's perspective" bouncing around hollywood for years.

I was trying to think of a clever/funny alternate perspective for Schindler's List, when I suddenly remembered that I have a friend who actually believed, until I explained otherwise, that the Nazis shoved fully alive/awake Jews into the ovens.  She missed out on the gas-shower part of the process.

I asked her, "How many Nazis do you think it would take to forcefully shove just ONE Jew into a fucking oven??" 

Let alone, say, 6 million or so?  I mean, even a starved, weakened Jew is gonna find a reserve of willpower to resist that particular prospect that would no doubt be impressive.

I really don't know how many people like that are just walking around, appearing somewhat normal to the naked eye.

Edited by Augustus

22 hours ago, Augustus said:

I was trying to think of a clever/funny alternate perspective for Schindler's List, when I suddenly remembered that I have a friend who actually believed, until I explained otherwise, that the Nazis shoved fully alive/awake Jews into the ovens.  She missed out on the gas-shower part of the process.

I asked her, "How many Nazis do you think it would take to forcefully shove just ONE Jew into a fucking oven??" 

Let alone, say, 6 million or so?  I mean, even a starved, weakened Jew is gonna find a reserve of willpower to resist that particular prospect that would no doubt be impressive.

I really don't know how many people like that are just walking around, appearing somewhat normal to the naked eye.

200.gif