Truck AC just went out...learn me please...

About a week ago, I noticed that it took much longer than usual to cool down after leaving school. Now it's not really cooling down at all.  I'm confused because I feel as a leak would have been more gradual, but a breakdown would have been sudden.  This was neither.  Any idea?  I'd like to try to enhance my knowledge at least past the point of complete ignorance before I take it to a mechanic.

First off, is the compressor turning?   Sometimes if you've lost all your freon the compressor won't engage, but you should try to verify that the issue isn't electrical, such as a blow fuse or relay.  And since I know you, I'm just gonna recommend that you take it to the shop ASAP and prepare to pay whatever.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Google the specific A/C issues along with the year, make, and model of your truck and you are bound to get some answers - or at least starting points.

Your description is pretty general.  Takes longer to cool down?  Is the air coming out of the ducts the same temperature for all of the ducts.  My Suburban had 3 or 4 blend doors for the front HVAC.  One bad blend door actuator would change the temp for one or two ducts, but not all - it would affect how the entire vehicle cooled, though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

I still have some burn scars from my old man’s Camel exiting the wind wing and ashes reenterinng onto me in the back seat.

Fortunately Dad was an early believer in AC.

My dad told me that he and his three brothers used to fight to see who had to sit behind my grandfather in the car. Gramps dipped skoal and when he would spit out the window, it would inevitably fly into the rear window and nailing the kid sitting back there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is the compressor quick cycling? If so, you have a leak in your system? Was the temp decrease gradual over time or sudden? When you turn your AC on does the compressor kick on or not? Could be a hole in your AC condenser...happens when driving around big rigs hauling rocks, etc.

What kind of vehicle are we talking about here? I would take it to a shop and have them evac the freon (assuming there are some left) run a vacuum test on it and check for leaks.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/5/2022 at 11:22 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

No A/C?   Gen Z never got to experience sitting on one of these bad boys sitting on top of a vinyl seat on a hot Texas day.   With the A/C working or not.  

I’d go back to those days in a heartbeat.  Just to see my mom and dad again   

CD883F7C-BF24-4DE6-9C8E-FF8E582291D6.jpeg

Nothing like spending all day at the pool and jumping on the 1000° vinyl seat in Mom's car. Good times.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 11:22 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

No A/C?   Gen Z never got to experience sitting on one of these bad boys sitting on top of a vinyl seat on a hot Texas day.   With the A/C working or not.  

I’d go back to those days in a heartbeat.  Just to see my mom and dad again   

CD883F7C-BF24-4DE6-9C8E-FF8E582291D6.jpeg

wonder how many kids were injured from slapping each other with those buckles?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

wonder how many kids were injured from slapping each other with those buckles?

Today's Personal Injury Lawyers would have a field day with those buckles.

"Did your big brother slap you with a GM seat belt buckle?"    

Call me the Texas Hammer and I'll kick your big Bro's ass and GM's and give you 25% for you to go buy some candy.

Nothing like spending all day at the pool and jumping on the 1000° vinyl seat in Mom's car. Good times.

Worse than that goes back to old cloth seats which would be encased after rolling off the lot by grandpa in plastic seat covers, that in Texas heat would begin to liquify and sear your legs like hot fucking lava.
  • Rage+1 1

Reminiscing of sunburned legs on hot vinyl seats aside, first try is go to the store and buy a can of Freon with the gauge. Look up your cars ac system online and see if you can find the recommended low side pressure and use that along with the gauge to top off the ac. If it was a slow leak, it probably leaked down to a point where the pressure was too low for the compressor to turn on. My Tundra had a slow leak and I limped it along three years putting in a lb or so every 6-9 months.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2022 at 10:13 PM, davidg said:

Reminiscing of sunburned legs on hot vinyl seats aside, first try is go to the store and buy a can of Freon with the gauge. Look up your cars ac system online and see if you can find the recommended low side pressure and use that along with the gauge to top off the ac. If it was a slow leak, it probably leaked down to a point where the pressure was too low for the compressor to turn on. My Tundra had a slow leak and I limped it along three years putting in a lb or so every 6-9 months.

Same in my truck. Hit it with the can and have been chugging along for a while now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2022 at 10:13 PM, davidg said:

Look up your cars ac system online and see if you can find the recommended low side pressure and use that along with the gauge to top off the ac.

There is a system info sticker under the hood, usually on the radiator brace.