2022 US Open tennis

shadow_operative2.0

16 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

something something first serves percentages ... maria sharapova...

kyrgios is so talented.  i hate how he berates his box.  i don't like his antics or the way he expresses frustration on court but i appreciate his honesty.  his serve gets him out of trouble and frankly sets up loads of points for him.  his defense gets overlooked, partly due to his offensive prowess, partly due to his lack of mental stamina where he just quits sometimes.  he's a more talented andy roddick in every aspect except his head.

If I recall first serve percentages aren’t much different? Second are. Aces are. Breaks are. 

11 hours ago, troph said:

If I recall first serve percentages aren’t much different? Second are. Aces are. Breaks are. 

oh i was referencing the importance of getting first serves in similar to what you said about the importance of getting your first two shots vs consistency of 20 shots.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

And over. 

Now we’re on to hot Paula v. Martic, Petra serving at 4-5 in opener. 

Martic has the longest (but still shapely) legs in women’s tennis. 

Will tune in. 

UPDATE:

Just tuned in and ESPN has a couple of Hispanic dudes smackin’ the ball back-and-forth. 

Not interested in their legs. 

Edited by Napoleon

If Ajla can't do it, then Samsonova will in round 4. After she inevitably beats Krunic, she'll be on a 13-0 win streak. During that win streak, Samsonova has won 2 WTA titles in the US hardcourt swing. She's the most "in-form" player in the tournament.

Edited by perfectchaos007

18 minutes ago, Atticus said:

She's not able to move out there at all. It;s hard to watch.

Some of the shots her opponent made were very hard to read, open stance, from the middle, power forehand with an aggressive angle in response to a defensive return of serve or other defensive shot and it can take you way off the court even if you read it. Yeah she’s older and she’s always been a power player but she played incredible tennis tonight and if you couldn’t see that then I don’t know what to tell you. A woman 11 years her junior took some serious body blows and punched back with similar power, and in the end youth won, that’s it. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, nycHorn said:

Serious question - do players usually wear the same outfit every match they play.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Yeah, usually one kit for the tourney. Sometimes they’ll have a day & night version. 

Players usually wear the same outfit for an entire chunk of the year and then they have to wear all-white for Wimbledon, but they wear the same all-white outfit all tournament.

Then after that, they may wear a different outfit for the rest of the year  

Mid-level NIKE people will all be wearing the same thing as 1/4 of the other girls in tour for maybe half a year. Same with mid-level guys.

Big name players who have major ad campaigns based on them will reveal a new outfit for grand slams. This is more common with women than men.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Quite the point.  16 minutes and counting. Advantage Rudy T

GAME

No point lasts 16 minutes. This isn’t cricket.

Just now, troph said:

Some of the shots her opponent made were very hard to read, open stance, from the middle, power forehand with an aggressive angle can take you way off the court even if you read it. Yeah she’s older and she’s always been a power player but she played incredible tennis tonight and if you couldn’t see that then I don’t know what to tell you. A woman 11 years her junior took some serious body blows and punched back with similar power, and in the end youth won, that’s it. 

I'm definitely ignorant when it comes to the technical aspects of tennis. She played her ass off, but that wasn't the Serena I'm used to seeing. Youth definitely won out in that lengthy match.

• Hook 'Em 1