2022 US Open tennis

shadow_operative2.0

33 minutes ago, troph said:

That’s not true. Tennis is a major sport and plenty play it. High school and college teams are plenty. And the US is well represented in the top 100 mens and womens professional tennis, just not the top 5. There is plenty to criticize about how we teach tennis in the US as other counties do prioritize it at the government level (the US has virtually no sport sponsorship equivalent) but it’s not unpopular even if it’s not as well watched as the major team sports.

Yeah okay I'm standing by literally everything I said and you didn't disprove any of it. If the US actually gave a fuck we would have relevant players. We haven't since Agassi. Tennis is a major sport because you're a tennis fan? 

27 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah okay I'm standing by literally everything I said and you didn't disprove any of it. If the US actually gave a fuck we would have relevant players. We haven't since Agassi. Tennis is a major sport because you're a tennis fan? 

You don’t read good. It’s not a team sport. To compare it to basketball, baseball or football is dumb. It’s a major individual sport yes. Most high schools and every college has a team.  The US has 13 players in the top 100 in a sport played by the entire developed world. Nearly 100 out of the top 1000. That’s pretty good.  top 10 right now, in mens singles tennis - yeah US is in a drought. That’s not a lack of popularity.  Womens and doubles the US is fine across the board. So you’ve found one current metric where the US isn’t dominate and you just extrapolate it’s because of a lack of popularity that’s just wrong.

Football and baseball have almost no bearing on this as they are not even close to as popular in the developed world.  The fact is when talking about tennis, the US is competing in a very popular sport worldwide, not simply competing in US centric sports. 

there are probably only a couple of countries you can truly say are better than the US at producing elite tennis talent. Spain is clearly one. Other European countries too and a lot of folks claim it’s the clay courts and how it requires you learn a full game. American hard courts favor power and you don’t need to defend the whole court because the speed of the American tennis game.  

but you don’t watch it much so it must mean it’s not really American. Ok. 

Edited by troph

It's nice to see an American rep us like this but ultimately no one in this country gives a shit about tennis and hasn't since the end of Agassi and the prime of Tiger.

This is just fucking stupid. People with money care. There’s more money watching this than a bunch of sports on tv.

He wins on Sunday and he can officially be the heir apparent to the Big Three. Watching what Alcaraz can do at the age of 19 on that court is nothing short of amazing. I have never seen a player cover as much ground as he does and do it so effortlessly. It’s kinda cool to watch an athlete transform from phenom into superstar like this. 

Ruud can get it though too. Watching him today was pretty fun. Khachanov was completely overmatched and Ruud covers ground pretty fast as well and has a really strong backhand. I hope Sunday is another 5 setter. This US OPEN has been incredible for the sport as a whole.

On 9/8/2022 at 10:32 PM, Napoleon said:

I think that she is just super focused on the court and cool off of it, but I'm typing this from outside Asheville, NC. I watched her parents' football team (Da Bills) win after dinner with my high school buddies/fantasy football crew.

You've got some strange hang ups.

[1] Ons has been getting trimmer and trimmer and has reached her 2nd Grand Slam Final in a row. No other woman has made consecutive Grand Slam Finals this year.

Rather than focusing on any aspect of her game, the focus is that she doesn't have a stomach like Kudermetova. She's not nearly the heaviest girl on your. She's probably more likely in the middle of the pack due to her height.

[2] Sharapova does NOT have black hair. That's light to medium brown. There's an incel vibe of judgement in the post that seem more of a stretch than just ripping a bitch with a horrible attitude. 

Ons & Maria seem to be pretty good people, especially Ons.

Tip o’ the fedora to you, white knight of tennis fatty defense.

Maria is solidly in the wood category, but feel free to fuck off on Ons.  She’s only got herself to blame for her fitness, I don’t give a shit how nice she is.  She has plenty of talent.

On 9/9/2022 at 1:33 PM, UpperWestside said:

Had today off so I decided it would be cool to come back out here. Made it in time for the 2nd set of the Men’s Doubles Final. Just not a bad seat in this place.51C24D6E-F1B9-40FE-A7E9-FCBAC16A6EB4.thumb.jpeg.99f984baf698b8733400d454c402c1c0.jpeg

Nice.  I've told myself many times since  moving to NY to make a trip down there to just walk around the grounds and checkout the scene but have yet to do so.