2022 Texans: That’s the Power of Lovie

The Earl of Texas

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Which I like, except I’d really like to know how much input he has had on the last two coaching hires. Cully was a disaster and Lovie is just ok. I’d really like to know if those two hires were forced on him or not.

Wasn’t Lovie just a CYA because they were going to be sued by Brian Flores, who alleged that racism (rather than stupidity and incompetence) is why they’d hire Josh McCown over Flores? The Texans probably planned to tank for another year or two anyway so it didn’t matter. 

Wasn’t Lovie just a CYA because they were going to be sued by Brian Flores, who alleged that racism (rather than stupidity and incompetence) is why they’d hire Josh McCown over Flores? The Texans probably planned to tank for another year or two anyway so it didn’t matter. 
Once the Texans draft a franchise QB this year or Ewers in 2024, they need to hire an elite offensive mind as head coach. Lovie is below average (Culley was an unqualified, incompetent clown) but can be a placeholder until we draft a QB in the first round.
Honestly wish they had kept Culley for another year.

Also hoping they make a run for Young. I know it's not ideal to draft a QB when you have so many holes. But that young man is special. After losing Watson then getting a chance at Young so soon..that's a sign.

Today’s In the Loop show was cathartic if you’re a Texans fan that loathes BOB and Easterby. Some of the highlights from Landry and the OG.

Landry Locker:
-12/15 media types at a dinner (hand selected) and basically said a lot of things that I thought were hilarious.

-Easterby decided he would control the narrative and said a little too much. This guy is a slime ball with no integrity.

List of stuff Easterby said on September 2nd that told me all I needed to know about this guy:
-Started off the dinner talking about the Astros. Goes on a big rant about fans not buying in and takes a process. Other people in the room are being more appropriate than me. I interrupt him and said I hope you’re not comparing your situation to the Astros.

-Kept going on, talking about tracking devices. Then he said something ridiculous. Remember the equipment guy that got fired? Jack sits there and goes “This is the craziest thing about the 2020 season. That game against Green Bay where we lost, there were four players on our team that had on the wrong pants.” … I’m like is this guy serious?

-He also talked about his time in New England. He said with a straight face the reason he left New England was because Robert Kraft wanted him to clone Bill Belichick. He said “I couldn’t do that to Bill.” (Landry) I swear to God on the Holy Bible.

-He carried around notes with quotes from people he knew and statistics asking people to write stories positive about him.

-Said he had nothing to do with firing Brian Gaine. Said Cal decided he didn’t want Brian Gaine anymore.

-Blamed Cal for Bill O’Brien. “I knew for a long time no one could work with Bill O’Brien and Cal kept letting it go.” Volatile personality and why BO’B had to go.

-Best thing you’ve done here? He said I want to take credit for hiring Nick Caserio.

-Easterby said he has never lied in his life.

-Kept talking about new facilities. Said the Texans have gotten cheap and were behind the times. Said he wanted an Apple/Google feel. Hinted Cal McNair wasn’t giving them the facilities they needed to succeed.

-Easterby challenged me to go on record about a player who publicly criticized him.

OG John Lopez:
-Easterby was a fraud, a conman, a coward, a mercenary, a serpent, a sociopath. He did more damage to a professional sports organization in this city than Bud Adams did, than John McMullen ever did, than Jerry Glanville did.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 9:26 PM, Zeus said:

QBs are sort of a crap chute. Kyler and Mayfield were #1s.. 

Allen and Herbert were top ten

Then again burrow was #1 pick

It just seems risky to go strait for QB. You need to build talent and be 2 years away, then go after a QB. They are 5 years away right now, need to get lucky on a QB but just focus on OL/DL/CB until they have a decent team to surround a young QB.

The imagery of a crap “chute” is hilarious. @Zeus 

750996F3-334A-476A-830B-9C75822B17F5.jpeg

Edited by Irieguy
  • Haha 1

…and here’s to another game where we were competitive for awhile before the roster deficiencies were just too much to overcome. Team is playing hard, the secondary has been a pleasant surprise, the OL has definitely improved, last years draft class looks solid and Nico Collins has definitely taken a step up. However, pass rush is non-existent, rush D in the front 7 is abysmal, and Davis Mills is clearly not the answer (though I’d have no problem retaining him as a backup while he’s on his rookie deal. Two top-5 picks and some free agent money next offseason will go a long way to getting this team back on track….

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d much rather have Stroud. Bryce Young is Tua 2.0.

I don't see that at all. The biggest concern is Bryce's frame

Stroud seems pretty robotic and throws to wide open first reads all day, although his athleticism + size could give him a Herbert type of upside

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Ohio State's offense does their QB's no favors in NFL development

I think the QB himself and the NFL team situation he lands in matters much more than collegiate factors. Meaning, there's not much correlation between college scheme/coach, school, conference, or even division and high level NFL success. The top five in the league types come from everywhere and all kinds of systems. The best you can look at is number of games started and some measurables to weed names off your board

However, I'm not going to stand in the way of an anti-Ohio State narrative, so yeah, Ohio State really sucks at developing NFL QBs

Regarding Stroud/Young, if Houston is sold on one of them, then fine. If they aren't, then hopefully someone behind Houston is in love with one of them and Houston receives a massive draft haul for a short trade back

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think the QB himself and the NFL team situation he lands in matters much more than collegiate factors. Meaning, there's not much correlation between college scheme/coach, school, conference, or even division and high level NFL success. The top five in the league types come from everywhere and all kinds of systems. The best you can look at is number of games started and some measurables to weed names off your board

However, I'm not going to stand in the way of an anti-Ohio State narrative, so yeah, Ohio State really sucks at developing NFL QBs

Regarding Stroud/Young, if Houston is sold on one of them, then fine. If they aren't, then hopefully someone behind Houston is in love with one of them and Houston receives a massive draft haul for a short trade back

I just feel their offense relies on receiver reads, not QB reads when it comes to coverages. The QB just essentially stands back there and waits for them to come open.

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I just feel their offense relies on receiver reads, not QB reads when it comes to coverages. The QB just essentially stands back there and waits for them to come open.

The system is fine. The problem is their offense is too dominant against most of their opponents, so the first read is generally an NFL player running wide open while the QB isn't dealing with much of a pass rush. Learning to progress through an offense while pressure closes in and hitting tighter windows is important, and Haskins/Fields got to the NFL with less practice at it than most other QBs

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

Sure, except when a system makes a QB prospect appear better than he is with respect to how he will translate to an NFL QB. Who was the last Ohio St. QB that was good in the NFL? Limiting it to this century, we have Troy Smith, JT Barrett, Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Justin Fields…they all mostly put up great numbers in college, and several of them were drafted high. I’d let some other team try to break the cycle unless it was a true can’t miss prospect, which IMO CJ Stroud is not. 

Just now, Murfdogg21 said:

Sure, except when a system makes a QB prospect appear better than he is with respect to how he will translate to an NFL QB. Who was the last Ohio St. QB that was good in the NFL? Limiting it to this century, we have Troy Smith, JT Barrett, Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Justin Fields…they all mostly put up great numbers in college, and several of them were drafted high. I’d let some other team try to break the cycle unless it was a true can’t miss prospect, which IMO CJ Stroud is not. 

I don't see why Troy Smith is relevant to Justin Fields

Is Vince Young relevant to Quinn Ewers? 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I don't see why Troy Smith is relevant to Justin Fields

Is Vince Young relevant to Quinn Ewers? 

Perhaps if UT had a couple decade streak of (borderline) Heisman candidate QBs that didn’t amount to shit after being drafted. Sadly we’ve had a lot of shit between Colt and Ehlinger.  Our line is pretty broken from Davis to Harsin to the Strong/Herman/Sark days. Spare any comments about Ohio St. having 3 different HCs during that period. The commonality is they all threw to future NFL WRs against Big 10 secondaries and were athletic enough to concern Big 10 defenses about a run threat, further opening up things down field. 

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Only two of them (Haskins and Fields) were drafted high; Barrett and Smith went in the 4th/5th round, Miller was a receiver by his senior year in college, and Jones didn’t get drafted.

By this logic Justin Herbert was a bad pick because of Mariotta, and Mahomes a bad pick because of all the dudes who preceded him at Tech...

Edited by Ignatius

21 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Only two of them (Haskins and Fields) were drafted high; Barrett and Smith went in the 4th/5th round, Miller was a receiver by his senior year in college, and Jones didn’t get drafted.

By this logic Justin Herbert was a bad pick because of Mariotta, and Mahomes a bad pick because of all the dudes who preceded him at Tech...

The point of my response was that Texas has had one QB drafted since VY, so we haven’t been giving false hope to NFL teams as a college program. If you ran an NFL team, would you want to wager your career and take Stroud #1? Especially for the Texans, who are not a stud QB away from contending, they should be taking best available players with the lowest chances of busting. 

I thought Zach Wilson set the bar for crappy QB play today in the NFL. Davis Mills is giving him a run for his money. Mills and Pep Hamilton suck. This offense is terrible. The defense isn’t much better either. The personnel and scheme are terrible. It’s even worse than BOB and Tim Kelly. That’s how bad it is.