Would you press charges? (incident at middle school)

Hmbre97

Are  we in Texas?

Been mentioned up thread but SRO should file charges on his / her own accord unless you tell them your son is unwilling to cooperate with the investigation / case.  Even better that way so your so can say he had nothing to do with it - in case he’s worried about being labeled a snitch or something. Out of his control.

Very unlikely this makes it to trial stage, so don’t sweat your son having to testify in court. Ask the prosecutor to demand restitution as a part of any plea bargain so you can recoup medical expenses / copay. And I would demand to see the video. Let them redact the juvenile faces etc..  don’t hesitate to escalate to superintendent level. 

It’s one thing to get shoulder-checked Derka style in the hall while passing but to randomly push a kid down a flight of stairs? Nope.

I bet this girl has a severely dysfunctional home life. It’s easy to just say fuck that little bitch etc but in reality, it’s quite sad. Try to take pity on her for likely being raised by shitty parent(s). 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Lerka Lerka said:

I bet this girl has a severely dysfunctional home life. It’s easy to just say fuck that little bitch etc but in reality, it’s quite sad. Try to take pity on her for likely being raised by shitty parent(s). 

Fuck that shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Son was suspended in Middle School. Kicked the shit out of a bully being a dick to a disabled kid. Punishment? 4 days suspension. Gets home, scared to death of what I will do.  Made him help me and his uncle dig a duck pond in clay. Reward, Dad gave zero fucks and handed him an ice cold shiner when we were done every evening. Last fight he got into. Bully will never forget he got the shit kicked out of him. Sometimes you need to do what is right.  

TL/DNR: Bully's need to get their ass handed to them. Mr. Miyagi style is fine in my book. 

My late grandson was bullied in a Lake Travis middle school because he had a pronounced drop foot limp (cerebral palsy kid). His dad raised hell with the administrators who did nothing to stop it.

So ex-wife moved with the kids here to Brushy Creek by Round Rock……. no more bullying.

• Hook 'Em 3

Yeah.  Fuck that noise.   There is gonna be the crowd that says oh no harm no foul.  So what if there is harm.  What if there is foul.  We do the same shit with school shooters and say well there were signs but there hasn't been anything bad.  Then when bad happens we all start pointing fingers.

10 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My late grandson was bullied in a Lake Travis middle school because he had a pronounced drop foot limp (cerebral palsy kid). His dad raised hell with the administrators who did nothing to stop it.

So ex-wife moved with the kids here to Brushy Creek by Round Rock……. no more bullying.

that's because the people of lakeway are absolutely horrible in virtually every way.  our own little enclave of north dallas suburbs here in travis county.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Do we know any background information about the girl that could shed light on this situation?

My oldest just started in middle school this year (6th grade) and already had an incident last Friday at school. I have an inquiry out to a friend of a friend family law atty for his opinion but would also like Surly to weigh in.
He was walking from his 7th period class which is upstairs and while walking down the stairs, a 7th grader pushed him from behind, sending him down about 10-12 stairs. Luckily he landed in such a way that he landed on his right side and fortunately didn't hit his head or anything else critical. We took him to the ER as he said his hip hurt pretty bad and his forearm was numb (he landed on his elbow) but xrays came out clean so walked away with just some bruising and soreness.
When they pulled him into the nurses office, he initially thought he tripped but the school pulled security footage and saw where it was a very intentional push. They were able to identify who it was; a female 7th grader that has had no interactions with my son. From interviews, they believe it was just a case of this student wanted to push someone down the stairs and my son just happened to be there. I tend to believe this as all his classes and lunch are only with other 6th graders. He's also a very easy going kid so I know it wasn't a case of him popping off to someone in the hall or anything. 
I had a call with the principal and security officer today and it was inferred that the student was suspended and also some comments were made that this isn't this students first incident at the school. We have the choice to press charges. We haven't been allowed to see the video but the principal and counselor have said it's very tough to watch. My opinion is leaning to pressing charges due to the severity of what happened. If it was just a push in the hallway or a shove into the lockers, I'd let it go. Pushing someone down stairs is some psycho shit. My ex is a little hesitant to do it out of concern of retaliation. My opinion is if we were to get to see the video, it wouldn't even be a second thought to press charges. No one gave a shit about Ray Rice until the video leaked.
What say you Surl?

At the beginning of this post I was ready to tell you to stop being a bitch and let your kid figure it out. By the end I was wondering why you hadn’t already set the girl’s house on fire and murdered her dog.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

You better get your hands on a copy of that video ASAP before the footage gets mysteriously lost or misplaced. And when you go back and ask for it, turn on your cell phone and record the conversations so you have it on tape that the school administration knows this girl’s behavior has been a known problem for quite some time. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

yeah, upon further review, i would demand to see the video.  they could be full of shit on what the video shows and pressing charges/not pressing charges i would want to know the truth.

From interviews, they believe it was just a case of this student wanted to push someone down the stairs and my son just happened to be there

would also want to see who was 'around' the girl when it happened.  she was probably dared or some stupid shit to do this.  may be worth seeing who she was with and what her reaction was after the push.  at least then you would know who look to look out for if any sort of retaliation were to arise.

Few serious thoughts:

1. Her parents may be shot, and they may not be. Some kids are just bad seeds. They might know just exactly what they have there. 
2. I was bullied jn 9th and 10th grade. I never told my folks about it- didn’t see what they could do to make it better. I sure as hell didn’t want them running down to the school to “fix” it and I didn’t want them fixing me. I just dealt with it. Years later, I asked my dad, “You knew, didn’t you, when I was falling and breaking my glasses twice a year, I was getting them broken in fights, right?”

”Uh, no, son. How would I know that?”

“Because I was falling and breaking my glasses twice a year!”

Looking back, that was my fault. The point is- your son is entering the years where he’s not going to share a lot of stuff with you- which of his classmates are getting high, who on the bus is sexually active, and so on. You were probably the same with your folks. I urge you to step lightly, discuss this with your son and really, really listen to him before acting (knowing that he may be struggling to communicate what he feels). 
Just a thought. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

Press the charges.  The school will have to give the video to the DA/law enforcement and they will show it to the pusher and to the pusher's parents.  And lawyer if they hire one.  they'll be able to see what the bitch did.

I would do it just to force the the issue on the video. You can always change your mind later, but you need to see that video so you can make a better decision. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Cornpop said:

Not "allowed" to see a video of your kid being assaulted at school? Get. The. Fuck. Out. Of. Here with that bullshit. 

You can thank the lawyers for that.

If your kid does something, and the video only shows him or her, you'll probably be able to see the video.  If it shows other kids, nope, not with out court stuff happening.

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Teach her a lesson. You don't walk through life as an asshole without paying for it at sometime. 

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

Just make sure there are no cameras around, because if you get caught on video shoving her down the stairs, it won't be a simple Class A misdemeanor for you, and you will probably end up in the mugshots thread.

So, you should probably just file charges.

• Hook 'Em 1

For those paranoid about the school trying to cover anything up, it is far more likely that the school wants you to press charges because it expedites the removal of that student from campus.

It takes a mountain of documentation to send a kid to the alternative campus or to expel. Actual criminal charges are one of the fastest ways to skip some of the hoops and get a kid out of a school.

3 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

For those paranoid about the school trying to cover anything up, it is far more likely that the school wants you to press charges because it expedites the removal of that student from campus.

It takes a mountain of documentation to send a kid to the alternative campus or to expel. Actual criminal charges are one of the fastest ways to skip some of the hoops and get a kid out of a school.

Listen to this person, the moment you get external law enforcement involved, it makes things much easier for the school to deal with it.

If you press charges and the girl tells everyone, your kid might be "that bitch" for the next six years.  Seek revenge if that's what you want.  Ask your son if he wants to sue and have to testify in court possibly.  It all comes down to what you want from this.  I would only sue if it's going to be productive for the girl.  If it helps her.  I would be directly involved with the judge and the decision making.  If you're not going to try to make the world a better place through this then don't waste your time.  

18 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

In the Austin ISD, it’s mandatory if there’s an assault with injury (per a document on their website). 

I'm fascinated by the prison logic of some folks on this thread, but perhaps you're right.  I would fight a circle saw if it looked at me funny, from elementary all the way through high school, and that was 100% the best way to put an end to shenanigans like this.  When the asshole kids know you'll fight no matter the situation, they tend to eventually leave you alone. but those days are behind us and aggressors hold all the cards now thanks to zero tolerance policies (which seem to not apply to this young woman for some reason).  When the kids who behave are left with absolutely no way to defend themselves or take action to stop shit like this, what is left but to involve law enforcement?  Snitches get stitches?  That shit doesn't work in the current climate.  

I'm flabbergasted that her ass wasn't kicked out of school immediately, what's the point of most district's zero tolerance policies if they don't enforce them?  And that's where visiting her parents might come in handy.  A brief conversation with dad about whether he'd like to keep his kid at the same school or have functioning kneecaps (can't have both) might go a long way to putting an end to this.

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

2 they sanction a fight between the 2 and your son gets a baseball bat and higher ground on the stairs. 

There's a lot to be said for a kid fight with weapons..

When small and scrawny, I was occasionally beaten up by an unhappy lumpish kid who outweighed me. He'd deliberately break something of mine so I'd jump his ass in blind fury, he'd get me down and bloody my nose. Happened like clockwork. His scraggly redneck mom (they had an unironic velvet Elvis on the wall) would jailhouse lawyer for him "Well RD started it" because I sure as hell did.

So one day we were outside, gonna "fight" with these rubbery toy swords I'd gotten. I had reach and went upside his head-- SMACK that shit hit harder than I thought it would anyway I thought he'd duck-- and the fat-ass lump busted into tears and FLED while I harried him out of the yard whacking at him for all those lost fistfights.

Dude had my number in punching and wrassling, but put a weapon in his hand and he was a zero. 

He never started any shit after that.

His drunk parents were probably still beating and maybe molesting him too.

Saw him on FB about ten years ago, he looked sad.

Didn't make contact. He might be dead now.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

How does your son feel about it?

This is important to know

46 minutes ago, statsman said:

Few serious thoughts:

I urge you to step lightly, discuss this with your son and really, really listen to him before acting (knowing that he may be struggling to communicate what he feels). 
Just a thought. 

This was my initial thought after reading.  Pressing charges, while probably what that girl deserves, may/may not have other consequences down the road for your son in that school. 

Tough call, weigh your son's opinion equally with what the other adults involced think. IMO I'd rather have the school dish out the harsh discipline.  Drag her parents ass in to watch the tape, give her a REALLY long suspension, or kick her out.

I clerked with Travis Fo Juv Public Defender... and I have nothing truly substantive to add. I guess if anything, don't discount how utterly awful TYC conditions are. They are overwhelmed, under resourced, and a stain on our souls as Texans. There is a non-zero chance she would be raped by prison guards and unable to have an abortion. It has happened before, and will happen again. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

Based on the facts, absolutely.   But retaliation is 100% going to happen. 

agreed.  if she acted completely solo then I would say maybe no retaliation at all if she gets sent to another school forever.  if she has close friends, or was put up to do it by her friends, or if she is allowed to return to school then I would expect retaliation 

What kind of school is it? Suburbia? I think people are way overestimating the retaliation shit, especially if most of the kids at the school grew up soft. It’s also not like he lost a fight. He got pushed from behind down the stairs. 

Worst case if he is scared and he does find himself needing to fight: tell him to carry a lock around in his pocket or bag, the kind you put on a gym locker or something. You know, just in case his main lock stops working. You’re gonna make an off hand “man it’s crazy how that thing could be an impromptu brass knuckle if needed. So weird” comment and say nothing else. Whatever happens happens. 

I don't know if putting her in "the system" will do anything but introduce her to even worse criminals and deviants. But it's what she deserves.

I don’t know if this has already been addressed because I haven’t finished reading this thread, but this is not his concern. I was convicted of a 3rd degree felony at age 16. I straightened up, followed all terms set forth for which I was to abide, and on my 18th birthday my dad told me I owed him $650 to pay a lawyer to expunge and seal my juvenile record. As it stands now I’m still a cretin (hitby holla!), but I’ve got a folder in my man cave office with 19 lifesaving award certificates. There are 19 people walking and talking this earth because of things I did or participated in that had I not been involved would otherwise be 6 feet underground. I’m not saying all of this to toot my own horn, but rather to be the example that holding someone accountable for their actions doesn’t mean you’ve ruined their life.
  • Hook 'Em 9

Middle school teacher here: press charges. I have seen parents press charges for way less. This girl fucked around and is about to find out. Sometimes schools may be limited to what they can do due to a students IEP or other label. At a minimum, this should cause some inconvenience and stress and maybe she will learn actions have consequences.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CleverNickname said:

I clerked with Travis Fo Juv Public Defender... and I have nothing truly substantive to add. I guess if anything, don't discount how utterly awful TYC conditions are. They are overwhelmed, under resourced, and a stain on our souls as Texans. There is a non-zero chance she would be raped by prison guards and unable to have an abortion. It has happened before, and will happen again. 

Yeah well there's a non-zero chance she could have killed OP's son. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, CleverNickname said:

Interesting theory. She will now get raped in prison and not be able to have an abortion because she pushed someone down the stairs.

I haven’t thought of this angle. Press charges for sure.

• Haha 3