2018 ROT rally begins today

GhostOfTomJoad

Thanks!  Not a biker nor have i had an interest in the lifestyle/culture, but hey more power to you all.  Seems just like another reason to hang and have a good time with people i might not otherwise hang with.    

I got into riding when a buddy needed to store his Rebel somewhere and I volunteered my garage. Got my M-endorsement and had to quickly upgrade...that Rebel was so small the bow wave off a semi would blow me half a lane over and I could only go over 65mph in the wake of one. The 650R ticked the boxes of fuel injection, with a fairing and upright style that wasn’t a cruiser.

Never was really into the ‘culture’. I enjoyed it for the same reason I love diving...slightly dangerous hobby that provides a new way to experience places I visit and a technical challenge where I’m always trying to improve. My buddies and I would go on rides to the hill county, places like the Temple airshow, and the rally every year.

One of my buddies got sucked into the ‘lifestyle’ big time, and took it too far...he started his own MC (which often involves some shady dealings with the Bandidos via the council of clubs and all the associated bullshit that can involved) and is now all into ‘ride to live, live to ride’ and riding around with his cut on, doesn’t really associate with us ‘civilians’ at the rally, etc.

More power to him but I got two young kids, told everyone when I bought a bike that I don’t believe parents of young kids should ride, and decided to hang it up last year after buying a new battery every year as I only rode it to the rally...you’re not sharp if you don’t ride much.

So now I drive out there, park, my boys pick me up in the cart and I enjoy just talking over beer. There are a lot of people out there who take it way too seriously, but there’s also a huge load of hard case-looking dudes who will tell you to come over for a beer, brat, and join you in making fun of the weekend warriors. I’ll never join y’all in that over/under shit, don’t blame ya but hits a little close to me...it can happen in the blink of an eye to the best people and I’ve had close calls myself.