Texas Beach Volleyball!

TrashMaster G

Yeah, I figured four courts.  Obviously somebody in the AD office already thought this through, I'm just waxing real estate possibilities out of curiosity.  But it's a tough sell to dedicate prime real estate to that because there's literally nothing else you can do with the sand.  But I guess some of these programs are situated in places with expensive real estate constraints like we are.  I wonder if there are any that use the space for say parking or outdoor basketball or something like that, then just dump the sand for the 60 days of season, and then remove it again afterwards.  But again, I would think you'd need some kinda nearby locker/training.  

Somebody drunkenly said the other night that maybe those basketball courts between Cavan Lacrosse and Blanton.  You've got enough parking on the weekends for fans in that garage, Gregory VB proper locker and training are just 1.5 blocks away (I guess you run the athletes if they need something in golf carts).  Spectator seating would be an issue though and you could sell concessions outta the first floor of San Jac dorms for football games.  

Anyway, fun problem to have.  this is gonna be a helluva lotta fun for fans and great for recruiting.  

6 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

She's 15 so...

creeping too young GIF

but on a serious note, I can't believe what some parents let their underage daughters wear while playing beach volleyball.  It actually upsets me sometimes.

Well then, let's just log this request to pop back up in 2026. I was thinking you were talking about someone out of HS for whatever reason.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Anyone care the name the players.  I only recognize a couple

image.thumb.png.e9096972b6cf92b4e0d5733fe406749e.png

https://www.instagram.com/p/ConiLz2Ot3K/

My attempt at Who's Who

Back row: Coach Elliott, Coach Hunt?, Asjia, Mariana Singletary?, Sydney Helmers?, Jordyn Byrd?, Devin Kahahawai, Bella Bergmark?, Madi, Jenna Wenaas?, Asst. Brannan?, Coach Sullivan

Front row: Halter, Ella Swindle?, Akana, Reilly Heinrich?, Kenna Miller?, ?, Molly

Looks like we have a few incoming '23 Freshman signees and a '23 transfer on the sand, which is great to see.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

TCU up to #1, funny with their irrelevant indoor program. 

Texas has great beach clubs and no dominant beach program at the state flagships (yet, we coming), plus TCU has 7 international players on their beach roster and 2 transfers from Pepperdine and FSU 

I wonder if CDC recommends Hector Gutierrez to Elliot as a potential HC option (he hired him from FSU where he was a top assistant), though I think Elliot has explicitly said “she” in talks about the permanent beach HC he will hire 

Edited by Js1

9 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Let’s gooooo they playin 15 mins away next fri and sat. How this work @Js1

Rules all the same? Just this time playing on sand?

tix and fans?  Lookin like games are hella early in the morning?? Can we attend ?

I’ve literally never watched a beach match in my life except half ass background noise of Olympic beach volleyball 

53 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Let’s gooooo they playin 15 mins away next fri and sat. How this work @Js1

Rules all the same? Just this time playing on sand?

tix and fans?  Lookin like games are hella early in the morning?? Can we attend ?

Rules are very different minus the whole "volleyball" thing.  You can have deeper sets.  You won't see the "throws" like attack as those are illegal.  No open handed tips.  Lots of other small things.  It's a very different game and don't be shocked if these girls get run off the court by much "lesser" teams on paper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Texas has great beach clubs and no dominant beach program at the state flagships (yet, we coming), plus TCU has 7 international players on their beach roster and 2 transfers from Pepperdine and FSU 

I wonder if CDC recommends Hector Gutierrez to Elliot as a potential HC option (he hired him from FSU where he was a top assistant), though I think Elliot has explicitly said “she” in talks about the permanent beach HC he will hire 

There are some girls from Austin on USC, UCLA and FSU.  I think at least on of TCU's current commits is also from Austin.  Between Austin and SA there's a lot of beach talent to tap into from Central TX.

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

There are some girls from Austin on USC, UCLA and FSU.  I think at least on of TCU's current commits is also from Austin.  Between Austin and SA there's a lot of beach talent to tap into from Central TX.

2 from Austin, 1 from Buda, 1 from Round Rock and 1 from New Braunfels 

3 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

TCU has always been free since their program started, just walk up as close as you want. The balls bounce out of play to the fans regularly, you just hand ‘em back. 

Won’t cost you anything either. 

Tucked behind Jack Rose Track and the LBSU Campus Baseball Field, the LBSU Sand Courts remain free for all fans and allow for music during competition and the intimate atmosphere associated with Beach Volleyball while providing a first class space for competition with 2013 National Champions and perennial national contenders in Long Beach State Beach Volleyball. The closest parking for the facility is located in parking structure 1 or Lot G11 in front of the Walter Pyramid.

• Hook 'Em 2

From 2022 onwards, the championship tournament was expanded to 16 teams. As of spring 2022, eight conferences sponsor beach volleyball, and the winners of each conference will receive automatic bids for the championship. 

ASUN Conference
Big West Conference
Coastal Collegiate Sports Association
Conference USA
Ohio Valley Conference
Pac-12 Conference
Southland Conference
West Coast Conference

Additionally, two teams from the East Region and two teams from the West Region will be given bids by the NCAA beach volleyball committee, while the final four teams will be selected at large.

Basically, just don’t be terrible. Texas won’t be very competitive this year, but there’s really only about 5 programs that matter. USC & UCLA have won every single NC in the current iteration. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Our roster seems rather large for a sport that only uses 2 players on the court as opposed to 6 players in indoor. I look forward to watching and learning this sport in the coming years

14 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

5 x 2 for every match, plus your backups/practice players. The hype squads from the girls not playing are always entertaining. 

Correct, 12-14 usually travel.  10 play

• Hook 'Em 1

0-5 in first sets, none particularly competitive (11, 14, 14, 14, 15).

Phillips/Crownover lose.  Other 4 matches losing in the second set.

Gotta start somewhere.  I'm looking forward to watching the team grow as they gain experience.

• Like 1