Texas Beach Volleyball!

TrashMaster G

Missed out this morning. Already on road to Chula Vista for house warming. 

it was great to get up close and personal with coaches and players. 

sand ain’t our thing. But was cool to be in on year 1. 

although I think when the girls start playing home matches. They will rack up wins 

Spent the first day getting the lay of the land. Focused more on details today.

Day 2 observations:

- confirming yesterday's suspicion that we were running basic defenses. Mainly line blocks with the occasional angle. Don't recall our ladies calling any show (3/4) blocks. The other teams mixed it in with some success. Probably for the best because... (See the next bullet)

- our blockers/defenders ended up stacked way too often. Basically both players end up playing line or angle because of a miscommunication leaving half the court wide open.  Adding show blocks when we struggle with straight line/angle would've been chaotic

- Pro tip: During a rally, if you're showing a drop (via a drop step) causing your body to face inward, don't signal the block to your teammate on your outside butt cheek with your outside arm. Your teammate can't see it. Either switch hands or pat the side of your butt that you're blocking. Saw that one too many times. 

- And if your blocker drops toward you as a defender, you need to compensate. It's usually not an issue with a 1 block. I'm not sure how they coach dropping off a 2 block - whether they want the blocker to drop straight back and the defender slides across or if the blocker drops into the angle she called. Either way, I can guarantee that coaches don't tell them to end up on top of one another... which happened a few times 

- too many service faults for a team that isn't trying to generate offense via aggressive serving

- I don't recall any of our ladies handsetting which isn't surprising. I was kind of surprised how sporadic some of the bump setting was. It wasn't terrible, but too much spread considering very little wind

- We got called multiple times for doubling  serves or attacks, which are the indoor instincts lingering. One of Jenna's seemed like a driven ball where she should've had more latitude, but that's just refs confirming for us that God himself couldn't handset a serve/attack w/o doubling

- I had the privilege of witnessing one of my favorite farces in beach volleyball - when (without a line judge) the ref walks over to inspect a ball mark near a line. Unless you're raking the lines within the set (which they weren't), the lines look like the surface of the moon. How they convince themselves they're looking at the right mark unless they never break eye contact with the mark from the impact, to getting down the ladder, to walking around the ref stand...is beyond me 

- Molly was dropping off her blocks a lot in the first match. Not sure if that was the strategy - didn't appear to me that the hitter was always far enough off the net to warrant dropping as often as it occurred. She was tipping the drop early too. A better attacker would've taken advantage. Would've loved for her to mix it up more - showing the drop, but stay up for a roof. Too bad she's a Sr as it would be fun to see her out there at 6'5" with more experience/reps/instinct. Does she have another yr from covid?

- Madi/Devin/Keonilei were doing their thing. The Hawaiians got the second match off. 

- Crownover could be very good if she keeps developing. Has good size and tools for a defender. And a RS Fr. 

- Ella playing defender at 6'3" was interesting. She seemed to hold her own in the little I saw of her matches. Just like basketball - a big with ball skills can be a great weapon. Also a freshman (EE I think?)

- Reilly and Kenna showed some good flashes. Reilly scoots around well making up for shorter stature. Didn't get a good feel for her side out / hitting game though

- really curious to see who sticks with beach next year. There are a couple who are struggling out here, several who are OK and may be able to narrow the gap with their opponents with practice/coaching, and a few that show some real potential

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/18/2023 at 2:33 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Yep, Stetson won 6 sets pretty easy to clinch. 

Congrats to the ladies on a W.  But had to come here and post as a Stetson Hatter (yep, that's our mascot)...one does not simply defeat the Hatters.  

There are literally dozens of us nationwide, Michael!  DOZENS!

• Hook 'Em 1

So, how do we do beach volleyball offseason?  When do we start the threads about 'cruitin', and the corch search, and critiquing uniforms?

Seriously, though, any news on:

- coach search (probably influences the answers to the next two questions)

- who from the indoor team is looking to come back to the sand

- recruiting / portal

- partial or full 2024 season (show me a loss)

- on/near campus beach volleyball facilities

- NIL

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I guess the biggest question with the dual discipline recruits is which sport is her scholly coming from. More available in beach at the moment, I would imagine 

That or walk-on. She’s not a 2024 indoor scholly player 

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I guess the biggest question with the dual discipline recruits is which sport is her scholly coming from. More available in beach at the moment, I would imagine 

Beach only 6 total scholarships.  Not sure if there's a rule similar to football where they have to come from indoor.

4 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Beach only 6 total scholarships.  Not sure if there's a rule similar to football where they have to come from indoor.

Beach has their own 6 scholarships. Indoor players can double dip and play beach. Beach players on a beach scholly cannot play indoors, to prevent schools using beach scholarships to go over their indoor scholarships.

I think you can switch from a beach scholly to indoor scholly after 2 seasons and continue to play both. You can RS an indoors player for the fall and play them at beach in the spring without affecting their indoors competition time 

Someone can correct me but that was the case as of a few years ago 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Judging by her sand results, she's a decent sand player, and likely an improvement on what we had this year, but not a top player that the top beach schools would sign.

https://bvca.bracketpal.com/playerinfo/1938

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Judging by her sand results, she's a decent sand player, and likely an improvement on what we had this year, but not a top player that the top beach schools would sign.

https://bvca.bracketpal.com/playerinfo/1938

That’s fair. I guess it’s not reasonable to sign blue chips right out the gate. 

*whispers* but we’re Texas 

18 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

That’s fair. I guess it’s not reasonable to sign blue chips right out the gate. 

*whispers* but we’re Texas 

Hey my daughter is right in her league from a beach skill perspective (couple years younger) so I'm slightly hoping we don't start signing blue chips just yet