• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crash_davis

• nnm

• Armybrat

• Message Board User

18 hours ago, nnm said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the Savannah Bananas. One of my son’s buddies pitched for them this summer. Summer league guys having a good time, and playing good baseball. 
I haven’t been to a game, but it’s supposed to be a very fun experience  

I'm a big fan. They livestreamed some of their games this summer on Youtube. "Banana Ball" rules make the game go a lot faster and no game goes over 2 hours. They traveled more this year and I really wanted to make their games in Kansas City but couldn't make it work.

And before "that guy" from the comment section shows up about how this "isn't real baseball" the Banana Ball games are exhibitions. They also have a regular season with regular rules and I think they've won that league two years in a row. It's a ton of fun and some of the rules make a lot of sesne. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

Worst rule in any sport.  I might watch soccer if they did away with it.  At least have a blue line.  

I usually can understand the reasons for certain rules and how they work but I still struggle with this one. I still can't quite figure out why it wouldn't work for the defense to just stop moving backwards so that any pass becomes off sides. It's been explained to me a few times and I get it for a second, then I get all confused again. 

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I usually can understand the reasons for certain rules and how they work but I still struggle with this one. I still can't quite figure out why it wouldn't work for the defense to just stop moving backwards so that any pass becomes off sides. It's been explained to me a few times and I get it for a second, then I get all confused again. 

The rule stops people from lurking near the goal.  A player can't be behind the last defensive man once the ball is passed to them.  Without it a player could stand by the goal and just wait for a longball to be played for a scoring opportunity.  There would be more easy goals since everyone can kick pretty accurately long distances.  I would guess it was implemented to make it scoring more skillful rather than easy.  I too would be fine if it was gone, but soccer isn't hurting for my viewership.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Gene Parmesan said:

The rule stops people from lurking near the goal.  A player can't be behind the last defensive man once the ball is passed to them.  Without it a player could stand by the goal and just wait for a longball to be played for a scoring opportunity.  There would be more easy goals since everyone can kick pretty accurately long distances.  I would guess it was implemented to make it scoring more skillful rather than easy.  I too would be fine if it was gone, but soccer isn't hurting for my viewership.

Couldn't basketball players do that too? They don't because you sacrifice too much on the other end. I never played soccer, so I guess it's not as detrimental to have someone cherry picking on one end and not playing defense on the other?

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

A soccer expert can weigh in but I believe they do this quite often.  The risk is that they move too late and the ball is already kicked and the guy is left unguarded for a possible shot on goal.  The self proclaimed soccer experts I know claim that if the offside rule is modified or eliminated then scoring would be too easy.  

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Couldn't basketball players do that too? They don't because you sacrifice too much on the other end. I never played soccer, so I guess it's not as detrimental to have someone cherry picking on one end and not playing defense on the other?

Basketball does.  Look at fast breaks for easy buckets, but that is part of that game.  Those would be offsides in soccer.  Soccer rules aren't applicable for easy goals, but that's the way they want it.

For a basketball equivalency.  If you got a turnover in basketball, your guards streak past defenders towards the goal giving the stealer multiple opportunities for an easy score.  You can pass to any of them regardless of where the defense is.  If basketball had offsides, off the same turnover either the stealer would have to take it to the bucket solo, or wait until the defense gets reset in front of his teamates before he's able to pass to them.  In basketball that would seriously hamper scoring as it does in soccer, but like I said that's the way they like it.  Obviously Americans (myself included) want to see more scoring.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

A soccer expert can weigh in but I believe they do this quite often.  The risk is that they move too late and the ball is already kicked and the guy is left unguarded for a possible shot on goal.  The self proclaimed soccer experts I know claim that if the offside rule is modified or eliminated then scoring would be too easy.  

I'm not an expert, but yes, they do that quite often.  Trying to bait an offsides call by stopping or even running forward to force an offside flag.  If you don't time it properly, you've hung your keeper out to dry.