Post a pic that makes you lol

Born Burnt

• Replies 36.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/21/2022 at 9:30 AM, RPM said:

I still don't get it. The Armed Forces are about armed defense (it's literally in the name). I know they do a million things outside of warmaking, but fighting is at the core of the purpose for their existance. What is it that Space Force is supposed to do that NASA and the Air Force can't handle? Is it reallhy about the possibility of aliens attacking us and being prepared? It seems pretty obvious that if someone out there finds us first their technology will be so vastly superior that we're all fucked anyway. Not sure we could "pew pew" our way out of it absent an absurd Hollywood plot hole. I'd be embarassed to sign up for or be transfered to this branch of supposed "military." If I really cared and was smart enough wouldn't I just join NASA or even Space X?

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I still don't get it. The Armed Forces are about armed defense (it's literally in the name). I know they do a million things outside of warmaking, but fighting is at the core of the purpose for their existance. What is it that Space Force is supposed to do that NASA and the Air Force can't handle? Is it reallhy about the possibility of aliens attacking us and being prepared? It seems pretty obvious that if someone out there finds us first their technology will be so vastly superior that we're all fucked anyway. Not sure we could "pew pew" our way out of it absent an absurd Hollywood plot hole. I'd be embarassed to sign up for or be transfered to this branch of supposed "military." If I really cared and was smart enough wouldn't I just join NASA or even Space X?

My understanding is that it’s not about aliens. It’s about Russia, China, and others developing near space military capabilities, including tech that can take out critical satellites and platforms that could preemptively strike from orbit. The flip side of that coin is developing our own systems that could do the same things. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, nnm said:

My understanding is that it’s not about aliens. It’s about Russia, China, and others developing near space military capabilities, including tech that can take out critical satellites and platforms that could preemptively strike from orbit. The flip side of that coin is developing our own systems that could do the same things. 

I guess that makes a little more sense, but still not sure why the Air Force couldn't adequately handle it, seems like unnecessary bureaucracy to separate Air Force space stuff and the new Space Force stuff. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tfoolry said:

So what was really going on?  I feel like I missed out. 

A bunch of older white people singing along to old white people music. Young African American security guy not understanding what the fuss is all about. 

• Hook 'Em 1