Call Your Shot - 2022 College Football Playoff Teams

closetojumping

I still think this may be the case.
How do they justify a 2 loss team over a 1 loss team?

Yeah I think this should be it. Especially if they go the “no rematches” route that they did last year to justify pairing Michigan against uga in the first round, instead of uga having to play bama in the first round.

18 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

This is what it really should be. Ohio State and TCU are arguably the top 2 1-loss teams. Ohio State > TCU because their loss came against undefeated Michigan. 

1. Georgia

2, Michigan

3. Ohio State

4. TCU

This, probably exactly, but committee could pull shenanigans and leave TCU out for Bama. I heard very confident discussion this morning, before TCU lost in OT, from SEC fans this would assuredly be the case even if TCU just lost by 1 point.   

Committee could also elevate Michigan to 1 if they pound Purdue and UGA struggles (not looking that way), just to ensure not another Mich-OSU rivalry in the semis. Hard to justify TCU being above 4 at this point. 

11 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

If you had to bet your life on the result, would anyone here take TCU over Alabama?

Nope

1 hour ago, DaggerHorns said:

How do they justify a 2 loss team over a 1 loss team?

They don’t, they can’t, and they won’t.

Georgia, Michigan, TCU, and OSU are in. Do they move OSU up to #3 and drop TCU to #4? I think they’d have to. They can’t leave TCU in the same spot after a loss and OSU has a better quality loss having only lost to the #2 team.

How do others feel about watching OSU and Michigan in a rematch? I’ve never been in favor of it but as long as OSU backed into the playoff anyway I say bring it on. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

On 8/31/2022 at 12:50 PM, Nicole44 said:

Sec: Bama 

Big10: Ohio State

Big12: Kansas State

ACC: NCState

C-USA: UTSA

MAC: Northern Illinois

Mountain West: UNLV

pac12: Utah (sorry Lincoln)

SunBelt: Coastal Carolina

The Above wasn’t the assignment but I couldn’t help myself. I’m expecting Kansas State to take the Big 12. 

Because life is not fair: Bama, Ohio State, Kansas State and Toss up between Utah and NCState.

lots of pearl clutching and panties being in a wad about UNLV having a phenomenal season and getting a hose job or Coastal Carolina bc there has to be a hose job.

To Win it All: Kansas State bc what the fuck ever. We won’t be in it…again…

Holy shit I’m not as dumb…I mean…I’m smarter than I thought. UNLV was really horrible guess. Should have bought into Jawja but I’m not a complete asshat. Got more right than some of you seasoned pros! Cool…validation! Lmao! 

I can't believe anyone thinks TCU would drop 2 spots after a 3 point OT loss at a neutral site to a top 15 team.

I think USC will drop to 7.  Two losses to the same team and the most recent one was a beat down after being up 17-3.

Ohio State gets in at #4.

This is one of those years, like most in the CFP era, where the BCS formula picking the top 2 would have been fine.  It's hard to see 3/4 winning out most years and the first round games are largely terrible.  5-12 in 2024 though?  That would be some fantastic matchups, minus Tulane who would get completely worked.  Auto bids to the top 6 conference champs is like a diversity hire.  G5 teams are going to get smoked in the first round annually.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, satyanash said:

L O Fucking L

If you're wondering, yes, he's including a win over Austin Peay in this argument. Hahaha. 6 point win over a collapsing Ole Miss, 34-0 win over Austin Peay, and a win over a bad coachless Auburn team.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, Woodrow Call said:

No. Of course not. But TCU will likely get in, despite the fact we all know Alabama is probably the better team. 

They’re not better than TCU. Not even close. They should be 8-4 or 7-5. 

1 - UGA

2 - UM

3 - Ohio St

4 - Alabammer

TCU blew it, I won't be the least bit surprised if the committee slots Alabammer in as the #4 seed. College football is a what have you done for me lately kind of deal and TCU lost at the wrong time.

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They don’t, they can’t, and they won’t.

Georgia, Michigan, TCU, and OSU are in. Do they move OSU up to #3 and drop TCU to #4? I think they’d have to. They can’t leave TCU in the same spot after a loss and OSU has a better quality loss having only lost to the #2 team.

How do others feel about watching OSU and Michigan in a rematch? I’ve never been in favor of it but as long as OSU backed into the playoff anyway I say bring it on. 

I don't see them setting up a rematch. tOSU will get in but will play Georgia which will be a marquee game.

TCU or Bama, doesn’t make a difference. UGA will beat whomever. TCU would be better off getting left out and having something semi-legitimate to bitch about. Sort of analogous to its being better to remain silent and thought a fool than opening one’s mouth and removing all doubt. Getting the playoff bid will result in the removal of all doubt.

6 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

This is what it really should be. Ohio State and TCU are arguably the top 2 1-loss teams. Ohio State > TCU because their loss came against undefeated Michigan. 

1. Georgia

2, Michigan

3. Ohio State

4. TCU

Ohio State doesn't jump TCU. Ohio State didn't make their CCG

Edited by Topper13
Greenspoint!
  • Hook 'Em 2

#1 UGA #2 Michigan #3 TCU #4 OSU

This is the only correct answer. Bama didn't do shit to deserve it, and OSU shouldn't be rewarded for missing their conference championship.

BTW, I'm gonna laugh my ass off when TCU beats Michigan in the Semi -- UM's fanbase is taking the W for granted... 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah I say it will be:

#1 UGA

#2 Michigan

#3 Ohio State

#4 Bama

Prove me wrong College Football. I would love to see Bama left out.

Serious question: why should Bama make it over TCU or Clemson or Tennessee - other than the name? 

10 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Serious question: why should Bama make it over TCU or Clemson or Tennessee - other than the name? 

They are #6. Two of the schools ahead of them lost. And other than the name? The name is why they are #6. TCU is not a helmet team.

As for why they should, I don't think they should. I just think they will, based on the above.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Not necessarily reasons they should, but reasons the committee could use:

Clemson - Losing at home to South Carolina and getting crushed on the road by Notre Dame is worse than 2 overtime loses on the road to LSU and Tennessee.  Maybe they let Clemson jump Bama if Dabo swears a blood oath not to send DJ back out there as qb.

Tennessee - Barely won the H2H at home with their Heisman candidate qb.  Said qb is done for the season with a torn ACL.  They are not remotely the same team without him, beating Vandy doesn't mean much.

TCU - Are we really going to pretend brand/ability to pull in a national audience is in the same ballpark here?  That's not supposed to matter, but if you want to keep believing that it doesn't, go right ahead.  

9 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

USC is out. They have 2 losses. OSU is in.

OSU didn’t win the right to play in their own conference title game so they should win the right to play for the national title, without playing a game? They sat out and risked nothing but get to benefit by not playing an extra game? Just no.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Fewest losses still trumps everything else

tOSU didn’t play an extra game. They played one fewer game because they lost the right to compete in that extra game. So let’s reward them with a shot at the national title? Technically they didn’t lose because they couldn’t play. Let’s see who has the stronger conference— put in USC. They can’t beat Utah but tOSU absolutely got smoked by Michigan and bama is the third or fourth best team in their conference. 

16 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

OSU didn’t win the right to play in their own conference title game so they should win the right to play for the national title, without playing a game? They sat out and risked nothing but get to benefit by not playing an extra game? Just no.

2016 tOSU says hi.  Precedent has been set for years.  Doesn't mean it will happen this year, although it seems pretty damn likely.

11 hours ago, Hozz said:

I can't believe anyone thinks TCU would drop 2 spots after a 3 point OT loss at a neutral site to a top 15 team.

I think USC will drop to 7.  Two losses to the same team and the most recent one was a beat down after being up 17-3.

Ohio State gets in at #4.

This is one of those years, like most in the CFP era, where the BCS formula picking the top 2 would have been fine.  It's hard to see 3/4 winning out most years and the first round games are largely terrible.  5-12 in 2024 though?  That would be some fantastic matchups, minus Tulane who would get completely worked.  Auto bids to the top 6 conference champs is like a diversity hire.  G5 teams are going to get smoked in the first round annually.  

Yep. Most years BCS format is and was completely fine and better even. UGA and Blue should be playing for the NC and everyone else gets a nice bowl. 

tOSU and Alabama are the two teams most likely to come from the bottom half of the bracket to win it. They’re the teams no one should want in the opening rounds. 

5 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

tOSU didn’t play an extra game. They played one fewer game because they lost the right to compete in that extra game. So let’s reward them with a shot at the national title? Technically they didn’t lose because they couldn’t play. Let’s see who has the stronger conference— put in USC. They can’t beat Utah but tOSU absolutely got smoked by Michigan and bama is the third or fourth best team in their conference. 

The PAC12 and Big12 definitely hurt themselves with the money grab CCG.  Those are the breaks.

2 hours ago, Laga4 said:

That's my guess.  

So much for the "winning the conference bull shit".  

Depends on the conference

Oh, and did TCU or USC win their conference? No? Well then

The committee is handed the top 4 by guys that run the numbers and see what it's going to make the most $.

Then they spend the day finding reasons why they choose that top four.

I'm fine with it because if Texas handles it's business we're in. 

Edited by Zeus

7 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Not necessarily reasons they should, but reasons the committee could use:

Clemson - Losing at home to South Carolina and getting crushed on the road by Notre Dame is worse than 2 overtime loses on the road to LSU and Tennessee.  Maybe they let Clemson jump Bama if Dabo swears a blood oath not to send DJ back out there as qb.

Tennessee - Barely won the H2H at home with their Heisman candidate qb.  Said qb is done for the season with a torn ACL.  They are not remotely the same team without him, beating Vandy doesn't mean much.

TCU - Are we really going to pretend brand/ability to pull in a national audience is in the same ballpark here?  That's not supposed to matter, but if you want to keep believing that it doesn't, go right ahead.  

1. Bama and TCU - TCU has fewer losses and played one more game. Bama's best win is Texas. TCU had that plus a win over top-10 KSU.

2. Bama and Clemson - Clemson won its conference, played an extra game, has the same number of losses, and has a better win (FSU).

3. Bama and Tennessee - same record, and Tennessee won head to head, which should be the difference. 

My point is that there is no reason other than brand name for Bama over those teams. 

• Hook 'Em 2