Call Your Shot - 2022 College Football Playoff Teams

closetojumping

9 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

yep, this feels pretty easy.  1 - georgia, 2 - michigan, 3 - tcu, 4 - ohio state

just for fun to round out the top 10: 5 - alabama, 6 - tennessee, 7 - clemson, 8 - usc, 9 - kansas state, 10 - utah

Not that I disagree, but just noting, somehow we're putting Alabama in front of Tennessee a team they lost to head to head.

55 minutes ago, Horndog said:

1. Bama and TCU - TCU has fewer losses and played one more game. Bama's best win is Texas. TCU had that plus a win over top-10 KSU.

2. Bama and Clemson - Clemson won its conference, played an extra game, has the same number of losses, and has a better win (FSU).

3. Bama and Tennessee - same record, and Tennessee won head to head, which should be the difference. 

My point is that there is no reason other than brand name for Bama over those teams. 

But that answers the question-- brand name IS the reason.  

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Not that I disagree, but just noting, somehow we're putting Alabama in front of Tennessee a team they lost to head to head.

Not necessarily US doing so.  The CFP already has them ahead of Tennessee.  They've already demonstrated they value Alabama's brand more.

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

Depends on the conference

Oh, and did TCU or USC win their conference? No? Well then

The committee is handed the top 4 by guys that run the numbers and see what it's going to make the most $.

Then they spend the day finding reasons why they choose that top four.

I'm fine with it because if Texas handles it's business we're in. 

and one of Tennessee's losses is to Georgia, which Bama avoided by not getting to play in their championship game.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horndog said:

1. Bama and TCU - TCU has fewer losses and played one more game. Bama's best win is Texas. TCU had that plus a win over top-10 KSU.

2. Bama and Clemson - Clemson won its conference, played an extra game, has the same number of losses, and has a better win (FSU).

3. Bama and Tennessee - same record, and Tennessee won head to head, which should be the difference. 

My point is that there is no reason other than brand name for Bama over those teams. 

There are a lot of reasons they’re ahead of, and will remain so, Tenn and Clemson. They lost by 4 points total in their losses. Tenn and Clemson got blown out. While Bama isn’t that good, they’re also very clearly the #5 team and it’s not particularly close. 

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

i'm just predicting what the committee will do (based upon what they've already done).  i'd personally rank tennessee ahead of alabama in the final poll because it doesn't matter, but if i had to choose between the two of them to be #4, i'd probably go with bama due to hooker's injury.  

14 hours ago, F250 said:

I don't see them setting up a rematch. tOSU will get in but will play Georgia which will be a marquee game.

I can see arguments both ways. I’ve seen projections both ways. I don’t really have a preference either way. I really don’t know how much national interest there would be in seeing an OSU-Michigan rematch in the semis. But the committee really shouldn’t take that into consideration. Can they simply not penalize a team after a loss?  But it was a close loss in a CCG and OSU didn’t play in one. And if the Big 12 didn’t have a CCG then TCU would’ve been the unquestioned conference champ. Six of one, a half dozen of the other. I won’t be bothered however they decide to go.

Leave OSU at #4 and it sets up a possible all Big Ten championship and that would be something else. Of course everyone will assume Georgia would roll OSU but that’s why they play the games. The Bucks have run the gamut in the postseason from embarrassing losses to stunning upsets and points in between. They’re lucky to be in and now they need to go show they deserve it wherever they land.

Had we TCB vs either Tennessee or LSU, we would be in, deservedly or not. We did not and therefore we are not. That is fucking that.

I hope the Dogs and Frogs end up in the final and if so I will be 100% behind HypnoToadZilla. 

Don't like Wolverines or Buckeyes. Nossir, I don't like 'em.

Mr Horse No Sir I Dont Like It GIF - Mr Horse No Sir I Dont ...

• Hook 'Em 1

Lmao at anyone who really thought Bama was getting in. They were so desperate, they had Saban crying on tv like a little bitch.

The only game that mattered this whole weekend was the USC game. Their spot was the final piece of the puzzle. Georgia, Michigan, TCU were all undefeated and could have each lost by 50 and still get in. 1 loss trumps 2 losses, especially if they are conference championship teams. Once USC lost, Ohio St got in.

The whole conference championship weekend after that game was a huge waste of time.

• Like 1

This is the rare year where the old BCS would be preferable. Georgia and Michigan are the only deserving teams. In an ideal world, they would just adjust the playoffs at the end of each season to include the minimum number of worthy teams, but obviously that'll never happen with the $ involved.

1 hour ago, TXpride said:

This is the rare year where the old BCS would be preferable. Georgia and Michigan are the only deserving teams. In an ideal world, they would just adjust the playoffs at the end of each season to include the minimum number of worthy teams, but obviously that'll never happen with the $ involved.

If they are deserving, then they should win.

26 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Last year was one of those “rare” years too. 

Cincinnati was the only undefeated team in the country, with a win over a very good ND. They deserved a shot, along with Bama and Michigan. UGA didn't, but a 3-team playoff doesn't really work.

18 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

If they are deserving, then they should win.

If you don't win your conference (or division for that matter), I don't think you're deserving of a national championship. I think it should be more about who had the best overall season, not who's hot at the end. But I realize the landscape has changed, and it's basically becoming NFL lite. I just don't like it.

Edited by TXpride

9 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Cincinnati was the only undefeated team in the country, with a win over a very good ND. They deserved a shot, along with Bama and Michigan. UGA didn't, but a 3-team playoff doesn't really work.

If you don't win your conference (or division for that matter), I don't think you're deserving of a national championship. I think it should be more about who had the best overall season, not who's hot at the end. But I realize the landscape has changed, and it's basically becoming NFL lite. I just don't like it.

In a 4-team playoff UC deserved a shot. In the BCS they wouldn’t have been missed. The semi-finals last year weren’t competitive. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

In a 4-team playoff UC deserved a shot. In the BCS they wouldn’t have been missed. The semi-finals last year weren’t competitive. 

No one would've missed them because they're Cincinnati. It still would've been wrong for them to not have a shot. Hindsight is 20/20.

One poster and one poster only picked 3 of the 4 to get in and that was @Wulaw Horn, so congrats to him for getting it as close to correct as this board could. 

Bama and Clemson really screwed everyone up, as they were heavily picked and they didn't get it done. Outside of Wulaw, I don't think anyone else picked both Michigan and OSU to get in, and that was the key gap for many selectors. 

No one picked TCU. No one even mentioned them.

I got one right in OSU. Grim. 

There is a lot of good dialogue from folks in the first pages predicting things about the season and, while no one is going to get everything right, there was a collective of solid thoughts that played out. 

On 8/31/2022 at 4:42 PM, closetojumping said:

Klubnik is Garrett Gilbert. He's a long strider with a long wind-up and he's overhyped due to playing for a juggernaut that gets a ton of press. I was openly cheering against Texas trying to recruit him. Sarkisian watched his film and took a hard pass. I'm not a Seven Loss Steve guy, but I trust his POV on QBs. Klubnik will get plenty of run on this site because of the Westlake honks like immamac, in any event.

Clemson reminds me of the Mack Brown Texas program immediately following the 2005 title. They've recruited well on paper, but they're not scaring anyone at the skill positions. They're going to have the best DL in the country. Simpson is a beast at LB and Makuba is enviably awesome at S. Great, the D will be elite and there's enough talent to cover up weakness at CB. 

On offense, DJU sucks. He flashed as iron pyrite in the ND game in 2020, but I watched the guy plenty last year. He's as pedestrian as you can get. The OL is undoubtedly returning, but I've been there. If a bunch of JAGs or worse are coming back, is that a good thing? No, it isn't. The OL was a weakness last year, Clemson has no history of developing OLs, and they're now going to be working within the framework of a new OC's vision. Shipley was highly rated and played out of necessity last season but I never watched him and thought, yeah, man, that guy is excellent. Plain as grits. Like I said, none of the WRs scare anyone. 

I feel like I pretty much crushed the Clemson analysis. 

On 8/31/2022 at 4:50 PM, closetojumping said:

I think OU will have another 11-2/10-3 season in which you guys are disappointed and most schools' fans would die for that record. Here is my logic:

1) Venables is a first time HC. I don't care if he's made for it, most guys stumble a couple of times at the least in the first year of their tenure. 

2) The skill position players on offense aren't up to OU par. Mims is solid and Gabriel has the hype, but neither are All Americans. TB disappointed last year and lacks experience now. Wease, Stoops, whoever at WR aren't going to keep DCs awake at night. 

3) The defense returns guys like Redmond and White, but how many of the OU defenders are game-changers. 

4)The schedule is great. Nebraska is a joke. Big 12 is above average in the middle and weak at the top. Seems like someone could get lucky and go undefeated, but I don't see it being OU. 

All that together feels like 10-3.

On 8/31/2022 at 5:12 PM, Pdawg88 said:

I think that’s pretty fair. I feel like we drop 2. Games we should win, but just fall short. Like a K-state and Baylor. 

Outside of our guess for their record, which I'll argue was trained over the last 23 years, the assessment of the program for 2022 was solid. 

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One poster and one poster only picked 3 of the 4 to get in and that was @Wulaw Horn, so congrats to him for getting it as close to correct as this board could. 

Bama and Clemson really screwed everyone up, as they were heavily picked and they didn't get it done. Outside of Wulaw, I don't think anyone else picked both Michigan and OSU to get in, and that was the key gap for many selectors. 

There is a lot of good dialogue from folks in the first pages predicting things about the season and, while no one is going to get everything right, there was a collective of solid thoughts that played out. 

Outside of our guess for their record, which I'll argue was trained over the last 23 years, the assessment of the program for 2022 was solid. 

Good thread. 

No one mentioned TCU because they came out of nowhere.  They have to be the first preseason unranked team to make it to the CFP.  I want to say before this year all the CFP teams have been preseason top 10s.  So even if they get thumped, which historically most 3/4s have, what they accomplished was unprecedented in the CFP era.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

We will be worse next year.

• 8 months later...

Georgia-schedule is a cakewalk and even if they somehow lose a game they probably get in as 2 time defending champs

USC- will put up huge numbers and generate hype for Williams, etc. Will be in even if they lose a game 

Clemson- elite defense, Klubnik is better than DJ plus little Riley should help that offense. Easy conference 

LSU- not buying the Daniels hype, but Kelly is a good coach and its their turn in the SEC West