Call Your Shot - 2022 College Football Playoff Teams

closetojumping

Bama - Obvious reasons. Bryce Young, Will Anderson, and a loaded roster everywhere else. The only things that might prevent a return to the CFP are 1) B.O.B. , 2) a WR corps that fell apart in the championship game. or 3) The sleeping giant in College Station that Saban is afraid of.

OSU - Loaded roster, especially on offense. Michigan won't be as good this year. Should be a fairly easy run through the B1G. Preventing them from a CFP run 1) New DC might not improve defense enough 2) Injuries 3) Ryan Day arrested for pederasty

Notre Dame - Tons of talent, and a somewhat favorable schedule. They get OSU early, and a close loss will keep them in the hunt. That's followed by a bunch of games against "Brand Name" teams that aren't that great. A win against an overrated Clemson and overrated USC at the end of the season will garner them lots of attention. What might spoil it for ND? 1) New coach pitfalls 2) Youth at skill positions 3) An artery-clogging loss to 'Ole Butterteeth.

Texas - Why not us? An offense loaded with talent and speed everywhere. Our mullet-sporting gunslinger with a rocket arm and an Aston Martin, will pull the thang out and plan to bang bombs over baghdad. In his wake, he will be leaving a trail of burnt db's and slayed chicas. Things preventing us from the CFP 1) Our defense might still be shitty 2) Young OLine 3) Lack of depth charts, Texas boosters making poor roster decisions, and players fighting in the locker room over the fairness of their NIL deals.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, immamac said:

I will expand later, but here it is final rankings and playoff predictions:

1) Alabama 13-0

2) Michigan 13-0

3) Texas 12-1 ONLY LOSS TO ALABAMA WEEK 2

4) USC 12-1

NIL solidifies college football royalty and all is right in the world.

Alabama vs Texas in the NCG and Texas winning and Quinn Ewers grabbing the mic and saying "WE WERE NEVER GONE BITCH"

Gave me goosebumps 🤠

21 hours ago, JBJ said:

1. Clemson still out-talents anyone in the ACC by a mile.

2. Ohio State is good, really good.

3. LSU wins the SEC in a down year.  I guess this is my darkhorse. Bama is the more likely candidate, but they are overrated this year. I'm going for gusto here.

4. Utah is the next safest pick.  They have an easy slate.

I've said before B12 is going to be a rugby scrum.  I don't think anyone gets out alive.

LSU is gonna suck brah first year under Brian "execute his own players" Kelly. I'm going to LSU/Florida in the swamp, can't wait.

21 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Here’s a crazy pick.  UCLA.  They have a talented QB in like his 8th year in Chip Kelly’s system.  They’re coming off an 8-4 season where they beat LSU and kicked the ever living shit out of USC.   They’re a pretty old team overall, including on the Oline.  Get Utah at home.  The rest of the schedule is manageable and they are hitting the big dogs at coaching turnover times.  

once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-dicaprio.gif.ace31642946c8ce27f8d3c3021da604e.gif

Texas v UCLA would be quite a spicey playoff matchup, I'll allow it. And yeah, DTR has been entertaining for what seems like a decade now. 

Edited by CptnJiggleBits
  • Haha 1

Due to a number of shocking, unforeseen events, we will see an all-University of Texas System playoffs:

• The University of Texas at Austin wins the Big 12 
  • The University of Texas at El Paso wins Conference USA
  • The University of Texas at San Antonio's only loss is to The University of Texas at El Paso and The University of Texas at San Antonio still makes the playoffs
  • The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley wins the WAC three seasons before they start play 

The University of Texas at El Paso defeats The University of Texas at Austin in one playoff
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley defeats The University of Texas at San Antonio in the other playoff
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley defeats The University of Texas at San Antonio and the The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros are crowned 2022 National Champions!

IMG-8359.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Clemson or Miami--ACC blows
Oregon Utah--the Pac sucks
Bama--almost always owns the SEC
tOSU--Big 10 champ

Bama tOSU in final with tOSU via coin flip.  Buckeyes have talent to match the Tide and I like their assistant coach hires better.  But always one of the more interesting matchups if it comes to fruition.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Alabama has everything except for a dominant OL. We'll see how quickly Wolford works his magic there. Bryce Young in the second year of BoB's system should be even better. Skill position production has to step up, but will still likely be a top 5 offense if Gibbs is the same guy he was at GT. The defense is simply loaded and experienced at every level.

How good will Ohio State's offense be post Olave/Wilson? I think the offense as a whole takes a step back from the juggernaut it was last year, but Stroud will likely take a solid step forward too. It will likely be good enough to carry a defense going through growing pains, but the ceiling of the team is dependent on the defense's ability to be very good to elite.

Georgia is still Georgia. They're gonna play smothering defense, and they're gonna run the ball. There are maybe two teams this year that can get them out of that comfort zone. Bowers is fantastic, but they've also got AD Mitchell who is a baller. Excited to see how he plays this season.

Insert random 1 or 2 loss conference champ/punching bag here in the 4th spot. Could be anyone from Clemson, USC, Big12, Utah. It'll be a feel good story, but it won't make a difference as far as the title goes. I'll go USC.

Buckeye fans are obnoxious, so no God please no. I got Bama winning due to the high explosive play potential of their defense and the fact that they came so close last year. They wasted so many opportunities in the title game. 

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Insert random 1 or 2 loss conference champ/punching bag here in the 4th spot. Could be anyone from Clemson, USC, Big12, Utah. It'll be a feel good story, but it won't make a difference as far as the title goes. I'll go USC.

I think this is right.  I'll be pretty shocked if there is a solid #4.  I'm betting there is a top 2 (and heavy favorites are Bama/OSU) then several teams that have a good argument for the next spots.  Would probably be a fun year for a 12 team playoff.

A lot of ppl see Ohio stats winning the NC. . But I don’t think so. Going by history the only time Ohio State wins the Championship is when they’re underdogs. . Maybe they lose to Michigan again or upset by ND whatever it is I don’t see them winning it all 

• 2 weeks later...

OSU, followed by Bama, followed by UGa, followed by a tie between Clemson and Utah wound up being the most picked on this thread. 

Those picking Baylor, and there were 4 on here, had their dreams ended early along with Desmond Howard. 

Those picking Michigan look pretty smart. Michigan hasn't played anyone, but they won't for most of the season. Their D looks stout either way.

Those picking Utah got fucked early and have lost one of their picks: @Mitch Cumsteen, @Vertigo, @HRSchenker, @TexEx15, @Mason Ramsey, @markstanco, @Nicole44, @JBJ, @landman, @Hozz, @BigOrange1, @utee94, @Sock Monkey, @The Ace of Aces, @Stunns38, @WBT, @TheAuditor, & @Skipper

Those picking USC look pretty good right now and there were a bunch of those folks. 

Notre Dame was picked by 9 people. The loudest shit talker of everyone else's picks on this thread was, of course, @Helobious, who made a point to tell us exactly how Notre Dame's season would go, and that anyone picking myriad stack of other teams was an abject imbecile. He told us they'd lose to OSU and then reel off 11 straight on an easy schedule.

Well, no. ND is now 0-3 under Freeman and that dude looks lost. He declared in his final preseason talks with reporters that the OL would be good and he loved their WRs before the OSU game. Those two units are dogshit. After having a chance to watch two ND games this year, I'm seeing a 4-8 team at best. They just lost their QB and the back-up sucks. I wouldn't be shocked by 2-10. Whatever they do, they won't be playing in the playoffs. 0-2 so far.

People who picked ND: @Helobious lol, @gmr548, @SimonBolivar, @texifornia, @RabidM, @Wiler77, @Sock Monkey - a grim set-up for sockmonkey, picking both ND and Utah, @Hornlover and someone's handle that I missed. 

The 3 people who picked A&M can now bow their heads in shame. 

I don't think it looks good for the 14 homers that picked Texas, but it doesn't look nearly as crazy a pick today as it did 3 weeks ago.

Okie State is 2-0 heading into the cupcake that is UAPB and then conference play. Their defense didn't look good in doing so, but they're 2-0 nonetheless. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well, Notre Dame sucks, but at least NC State's run to a 2-0 record has been marked by unrelenting dominance over the nation's finest competition (citation needed)

You doubt Charleston Southern at your own peril, sir. 

This weekend will tell us plenty about NCSU, I figure.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/31/2022 at 2:12 PM, JBJ said:

3. LSU wins the SEC in a down year.  I guess this is my darkhorse. Bama is the more likely candidate, but they are overrated this year. I'm going for gusto here.

4. Utah is the next safest pick.  They have an easy slate.

There's still hope.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/1/2022 at 2:00 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Big question I have is will a 2 loss team make the playoffs.  If so I think Texas has a 10% chance or so at it. 

Bama

tOSU

georgia

michigan 

the college football world weeps. 

I’m really hoping 2 losses is ok for Is if we win the big 12, bc I saw a Texas team that could do that. I was happy to not Pick Clemson or NC State- who both look like ass, and I’m skeptical of USC on D. I have a feeling this would have been a perfect year for 12 team playoffs. Or, the old 2 team playoff. I don’t see it being clear cut between teams 3-8 or 3-10 this year. 

Wild hair day....
1. Alabama
2. tOSU
3. Clemson
4. Texas

I of the 14 Homers salute you!

I hope you like my burnt orange bow tie?

Btw. Georgia lost to them the first time last year too. Can't be worse than my Chuckie and Hermensa feats of optimism, and watching sound, functional football is entertaining again.

I called 35-27 for us, and I think that would have been close without the injury and fuckery.

Shit has to go our way, but I have more reasons to believe it is possible than impossible.

Hook'em e018c335487ac5449dc7fa8c2dc46f0f.gif8524169c854a9e40e015edae81e10cc8.gif

Yeah I’m one of the 14 that picked Texas. Not because I necessarily thought they would be one of the 4 best teams at the end of the year but I thought winning the big 12 with our only loss being to Bama would get us in over just about anyone else not named Alabama or Ohio St. Needless to say, I was very pleasantly surprised by the performance of our team especially the defense. If that’s the defense we play with all year I’m even more confident that they will make it to the playoffs this year. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 3:28 PM, closetojumping said:

OSU, followed by Bama, followed by UGa, followed by a tie between Clemson and Utah wound up being the most picked on this thread. 

Those picking Baylor, and there were 4 on here, had their dreams ended early along with Desmond Howard. 

Those picking Michigan look pretty smart. Michigan hasn't played anyone, but they won't for most of the season. Their D looks stout either way.

Those picking Utah got fucked early and have lost one of their picks: @Mitch Cumsteen, @Vertigo, @HRSchenker, @TexEx15, @Mason Ramsey, @markstanco, @Nicole44, @JBJ, @landman, @Hozz, @BigOrange1, @utee94, @Sock Monkey, @The Ace of Aces, @Stunns38, @WBT, @TheAuditor, & @Skipper

Those picking USC look pretty good right now and there were a bunch of those folks. 

Notre Dame was picked by 9 people. The loudest shit talker of everyone else's picks on this thread was, of course, @Helobious, who made a point to tell us exactly how Notre Dame's season would go, and that anyone picking myriad stack of other teams was an abject imbecile. He told us they'd lose to OSU and then reel off 11 straight on an easy schedule.

Well, no. ND is now 0-3 under Freeman and that dude looks lost. He declared in his final preseason talks with reporters that the OL would be good and he loved their WRs before the OSU game. Those two units are dogshit. After having a chance to watch two ND games this year, I'm seeing a 4-8 team at best. They just lost their QB and the back-up sucks. I wouldn't be shocked by 2-10. Whatever they do, they won't be playing in the playoffs. 0-2 so far.

People who picked ND: @Helobious lol, @gmr548, @SimonBolivar, @texifornia, @RabidM, @Wiler77, @Sock Monkey - a grim set-up for sockmonkey, picking both ND and Utah, @Hornlover and someone's handle that I missed. 

The 3 people who picked A&M can now bow their heads in shame. 

I don't think it looks good for the 14 homers that picked Texas, but it doesn't look nearly as crazy a pick today as it did 3 weeks ago.

Okie State is 2-0 heading into the cupcake that is UAPB and then conference play. Their defense didn't look good in doing so, but they're 2-0 nonetheless. 

Probably as good of a thread as any to update regarding some contender thoughts.

I picked Bama, Ohio State, NCSU and Okie State to make the playoffs and Bama to win it. 

Obviously the NCSU pick turned out to be weak.

Ohio State looks like the best team in the country and if I had to pick someone to win it all as of now, it would be them.

Okie State looks perfectly beatable. The Big 12 is a highly competitive quagmire and I doubt any team gets out undefeated or with just one loss. 

I wanted to post this about Alabama though:

I've watched them weekly and they are hanging by a very thin thread. They are pedestrian at WR and TE. Their vaunted defense doesn't look as ferocious as it did on paper. Dallas Turner has done nothing this year except cheap shot our QB and talk shit without accomplishing anything. Their secondary is weaker than I figured, particularly #3.

They still have to beat @Tenn, MSU, @LSU, @Ole Miss, Austin Peay, and Auburn. You don't have to squint to see 4-2. It's not totally insane to think they could go 3-3, especially if Young isn't back soon. They owned MSU last year on the road, so maybe they have Leach's number. I don't know. What I do know is that they're not as good as I thought they were. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas is a +50,000 to win it all at our book. We bet 38 American cents to win $200. I argued for a $10.00 bet but was overruled. 
inwent with Michigan, Ohio Sttae, Georgia and Bama bc I thought Clemson would suck and ISC wouldn’t be great and those guys might hang the only L’s on each other of the year. So far, that’s looking possible but agree that Ba appears to be on borrowed time (their goose is cooked this week if Mr Heisman doesn’t come back at a Rocky Top imo). 
If a pretty shitty Clemson team makes the CFP bc their clown car of a schedule props them up that’s going to be pretty disappointing. Hopefully USC gets worked by Utah and eliminates themselves this week. Hopefully a pretty mediocre and boring Penn State loses to a slightly less mediocre and slightly less. Prong Michigan this week. 
I’m rooting for chaos.  I’ve got 38 cents riding on it. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2022 at 2:12 PM, JBJ said:

This is gonna come down to SEC title game officiating.  Will LSU be allowed to win?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 2:00 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Big question I have is will a 2 loss team make the playoffs.  If so I think Texas has a 10% chance or so at it. 

Bama

tOSU

georgia

michigan 

the college football world weeps. 

I’m a TCU and USC loss away from nailing all 4. Either of those two fucksticks lose and I got 3 of the 4. Worst case scenario looks like my 4 teams will all finish in the top 6. What do I win? 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m a TCU and USC loss away from nailing all 4. Either of those two fucksticks lose and I got 3 of the 4. Worst case scenario looks like my 4 teams will all finish in the top 6. What do I win? 

The traditional Surly prize….a smartest idoit trophy and no friends outside of the interwebs.

• Haha 1

On 8/31/2022 at 1:00 PM, immamac said:

I will expand later, but here it is final rankings and playoff predictions:

1) Alabama 13-0

2) Michigan 13-0

3) Texas 12-1 ONLY LOSS TO ALABAMA WEEK 2

4) USC 12-1

NIL solidifies college football royalty and all is right in the world.

Alabama vs Texas in the NCG and Texas winning and Quinn Ewers grabbing the mic and saying "WE WERE NEVER GONE BITCH"

I mean I was close. TCU for Texas and Georgia for Bama.