Anyone here been to a game at Autzen Stadium?

TrashMaster G

I live in Eugene and have been to games at Autzen.

It isn't the loudest stadium but it can generate decent volume.  I think it is a pretty solid venue and there isn't really a bad seat in the house.  I would park by campus and walk through Alton Baker park to the stadium.  Great walk and is a fun way to approach the venue.  Alternatively, you could shuttle in from the Valley River Center (off Delta Highway) if you don't want to deal with traffic.

• Hook 'Em 3

Yes, I have.  The way it's designed lends itself to the noise.  Very vertical inside.  Immediately adjacent to the stadium is the indoor practice facility that they turn into a beer garden before games.  I'd hit that.  And just cruise around.  While Oregon has the shittiest fans in the PAC, that's usually confined to inside the stadium during games.  Outside they tend to be cool.  I got invited into a post game tailgate and got super baked with a group.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yes, I have.  The way it's designed lends itself to the noise.  Very vertical inside.  Immediately adjacent to the stadium is the indoor practice facility that they turn into a beer garden before games.  I'd hit that.  And just cruise around.  While Oregon has the shittiest fans in the PAC, that's usually confined to inside the stadium during games.  Outside they tend to be cool.  I got invited into a post game tailgate and got super baked with a group.

9 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Funny, that’s what they all say about y’all…

Given the game I'm going to, I guess I get to break that tie.  😁

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

We are way too dispassionate to be considered the worst.  We've had the life sucked out of us.

I’m not privy to the PAC12 fan dynamic, but there’s a difference between being considered bad fans because you are stereotyped as being a little snooty versus being prone to physical violence directed at opposing fans.  I’ll eat some sushi on the boat with you if we ever do a home and home again.  I’m never going to Columbus, OH.

I agree that the stadium is loud, especially because of the architecture [Sunken field, vertical stands and overhanging roof sections].   One of the main seating suggestions no longer applies:  there used to be only one video screen and if you sat on that end of the stadium it was difficult to see replays and such...now a newer and larger screen has been added on the opposite side.  All of the seats are pretty good for watching the game.

If you like beer.  I would check out the Bier Stein in Eugene.  Superb selection (both on rotating taps and bottles/cans)  limited menu that isn't necessarily AWESOME, but solid.

If you are proficient with Yelp you can probably search out some more interesting food and drinking options than McMenamin's (particularly in Eugene area...Portland ones are more interesting.) 

If you are from Texas, I would strongly encourage you to skip the Pac. NW BBQ...I have been to Texas and the BBQ here is not at your level.  Should be able to find some good salmon though.

• Hook 'Em 3

I've been to a few games there, agree with much of above. I was never overly impressed with the noise, but it's still a great venue. The Moshofsky Center next door does make for a good spot to sit down and rest, but don't expect much from the food/drink.

The Cooler is a great pre-game spot like 10 minutes walk to the north of the stadium. Really good breakfast food if you get an early kickoff. Off the Waffle is another top notch breakfast, there are a couple locations not far. Voodoo Doughnut is something to check off the list.

UO campus is pretty nice too. Just an all around great CFP spot

I went there in 2013 for a game against Wazzou. I got drunk off of aggy tears (and four loko) watching the texas a&m Manziels snatch defeat from the jaws of victory prior to the Ducks game, so it's all pretty hazy. They wore pink helmets and the people around us seemed to tolerate three drunken Longhorn fans who were at their game for some reason. I have no recommendations, but here's a picture. Hope that helps!

20131019_202646.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

I am a licensed professional all things Oregon coast since I’ve been there on vacation 15+ times. Been around the stadium half a dozen times and the track field. Super jealous you get to go to a game. Find a small crappy shack that sells smoked salmon and buy it there. Please do make time to go west and hit the 101 and drive at least to manzanita. Beautiful drive and great food and wine. Do you like old planes and nasa shit? Evergreen is about an hour SW of Portland and it is awesome. Some plane called the blue goose is there.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

I've been to a few games there, agree with much of above. I was never overly impressed with the noise, but it's still a great venue. The Moshofsky Center next door does make for a good spot to sit down and rest, but don't expect much from the food/drink.

The Cooler is a great pre-game spot like 10 minutes walk to the north of the stadium. Really good breakfast food if you get an early kickoff. Off the Waffle is another top notch breakfast, there are a couple locations not far. Voodoo Doughnut is something to check off the list.

UO campus is pretty nice too. Just an all around great CFP spot

Do you know if they allow you to bring in your own drinks into the Moshofsky Center?

I played a game there in 2004. Oregon was ranked top 25 and we beat them. The boos were deafening. 

I was more impressed by it than the shoe, but it had just been remodeled and was the new hotness. 

With a quick look, you played for Indiana? So why join this website full of assholes?

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

With a quick look, you played for Indiana? So why join this website full of assholes?

I was born in Indiana, still

have family up there, but grew up in Georgetown and was a longhorn fan long before I got to college. Indiana’s music program was too good to pass up, then I walked on. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Yes, it’s been a while, I was working for Fox at the PAC 12 Championship game in December 2011 between assholes Kelly and Neuheisel (Rick was a lame duck who somehow got the team to the conference championship). Very cold, so that won’t be your issue. Oregon cheerleaders are some of the best looking anywhere (there was a blond in 2011 who was particularly amazing), so they are probably still worth checking out. And unless they’ve done a substantial renovation, all the bathrooms were very high up, so you had to walk a long way to get to them, and the lines were long. Oh, if it rains, lotsa mud in that area, watch where you walk. 

Oh, I didn’t find it particularly loud, but it was about 17 or so…

16 hours ago, Renarka said:

I live in Eugene and have been to games at Autzen.

It isn't the loudest stadium but it can generate decent volume.  I think it is a pretty solid venue and there isn't really a bad seat in the house.  I would park by campus and walk through Alton Baker park to the stadium.  Great walk and is a fun way to approach the venue.  Alternatively, you could shuttle in from the Valley River Center (off Delta Highway) if you don't want to deal with traffic.

We are staying just across the river on Franklin, so I was already looking at that walk across the park to the stadium.  Looks pretty cool.

15 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

nah, i been to timbers stadium tho..

mofos didn't allow us to use umbrellas.... and it was raining during the match.

Anybody who tries to use an umbrella in a stadium should be strung up.

• Like 1

autzen is a fun time.  i was there for oregon-usc in 2009.  it can get decently loud but nothing like the south.

eugene honestly kind of sucks shit outside of oregon athletics.  i would use any extra time to go see better parts of oregon.  crater lake, coast, portland.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/31/2022 at 4:05 PM, TrashMaster G said:

Is it as loud as reputed?

I am catching one there this season.  Already have tickets.  I'm looking for any pro tips/suggestions for visiting Eugene and Autzen.

Yes. It's the smallest "loud" stadium in the US. I've been to 5 games there. It's the way the stadium was constructed, sound gets amplified. Plus the fans are super close to the field, too.

For breakfast/brunch check out Lion & Owl. For Dinner check out Bao Bao house and Fisherman's Market.

Go see one or more of the water falls. Some of my favorites are  Salt Creek, Trestle Creek, Kentucky.

Edited by redswingline

Went with my HS buds (one an Oregon grad) for Oregon vs. # 18 Utah before Utah joined Pac-10.  September 19, 2009, Ducks won 31-24 . 

It was a great atmosphere and cool stadium imo.  Fans were engaged.  I wore Oregon colors, cheered hard for the Ducks, but also wore my Longhorn hat.  My friend's sister could not fathom my split allegiance.

Drank pre-game beers using our just-finished coffee cups en route to game to avoid attention while dealing with parking, cops, etc.  Even did a "coffee" cheers to one of the policemen (which seemed pretty no nonsense).  We thought we were genius with that move.

Later that night watched the Horns take vengeance against Tech (Kindle destruction of Potts game) on their championship run.

2009,09,19_ducks beat utes day 4 15.jpg

2009,09,19_ducks beat utes day 4 16.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, sidis said:

autzen is a fun time.  i was there for oregon-usc in 2009.  it can get decently loud but nothing like the south.

eugene honestly kind of sucks shit outside of oregon athletics.  i would use any extra time to go see better parts of oregon.  crater lake, coast, portland.

I did a Portland, Columbia River Gorge (before some dumbass kid burned down the Eagle Creek Trail with fireworks), Bend, Crater Lake, Oregon coast, Portland road trip with the now-wife about 7 years ago. It was incredible. I don't know how we fit that all in 8 days. Crater Lake is mesmerizing.

Yeah, several times. Fuck them.

Seriously though, it's a good place to see a game, small but loud, and the fans were not assholes the last two times I was there. (I've been to all the Pac-12 stadia several times and UO and UW have the best game day scenes - although they all have their vastly different charms and I've had a good time at each.)

The walk through the park mentioned above is a nice way to get there. Aside from that, definitely hit the coast or Bend. My brother lives in Eugene and TBH there's not a lot going on there although it's pleasant enough.

On 8/31/2022 at 11:11 PM, FartingDreamer said:

Do you know if they allow you to bring in your own drinks into the Moshofsky Center?

@FartingDreamer just saw this, I don't know for sure but I really doubt it. You can only enter/exit from the stadium side and there are staff around just keeping an eye on things. You could probably pull it off with like a bottle in your jacket, but not a cooler or anything.

19 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Not even close to true.  I've never been to Tuscon, but Wazzu fans are basically Tech fans.  U$C fans also predictably suck.

Wazzu is the only P12 stadium I haven’t been to, so can’t comment.  But I assumed we were talking about everyone but SC.  They are the worst, and it is a known fact.

• Haha 1

On 8/31/2022 at 9:37 PM, markstanco said:

I am a licensed professional all things Oregon coast since I’ve been there on vacation 15+ times. Been around the stadium half a dozen times and the track field. Super jealous you get to go to a game. Find a small crappy shack that sells smoked salmon and buy it there. Please do make time to go west and hit the 101 and drive at least to manzanita. Beautiful drive and great food and wine. Do you like old planes and nasa shit? Evergreen is about an hour SW of Portland and it is awesome. Some plane called the blue goose is there.

Otter Rock is one of my favorite places on the planet 

• Like 1