Mississippi burning

Pancho

4 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

Now if the dems were smart, hammer the republicans on the federal gov save us please 

Federal gov has been supporting the state for decades. Also, the large cotton corps get subsidies too and less than 5% of assistance goes to the small operations. Reeves went to uni in Jackson which I suspect is the sole reason he is even bothering at all. The city demographics are the tell. (~16% white, ~78% black).

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Federal gov has been supporting the state for decades. Also, the large cotton corps get subsidies too and less than 5% of assistance goes to the small operations. Reeves went to uni in Jackson which I suspect is the sole reason he is even bothering at all. The city demographics are the tell. (~16% white, ~78% black).

Highlight what the fed gov is doing by helping everyone, go with the we sometimes need help and we the dem help everyone. Highlight the good that’s done 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, chainsaw said:

MS needs a Stacey Abrams to wake their voters up

It really does, the dems should throw some $ and start going door to door to get ppl registered, go through the black churches and get them active in the process. It could get the Rs on the defensive there and allocate $

• Hook 'Em 1

I can understand telling MS to f off because how bad their leaders have run that state but that doesn't really hurt the people at the top. They're fine. The governor will continue to have his water supply shipped in, at the taxpayer expense. The everyday people are the ones suffering due to their leaders' incompetency.

Joe Biden should deliver the requested payment in person handing the MS governor one of those big Publishers Clearinghouse checks. And Biden shouldn't deliver it to the governor's house/office. Biden goes to MS, but the governor has to come to Biden's location. Hat in hand so to speak, and every local TV station has to carry it live.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Should I feel bad for not giving a fuck about this and this state in general? I mean haven’t these guys barely evolved since the civil war happened 150 years or so ago?

I just have a really low opinion of the states between Texas and Georgia.

I think you need to expand that a bit. 

31 minutes ago, South Austin said:

What state(s) really give Mississippi a run for worst in the Union? 

Ummm, I know it's an unpopular take, but take away getting lucky and having a shitload of oil under our dirt, and our proximity to Mexico giving us some tasty messican grub, and we're just a big-ass Mississippi.

Seriously, read the rhetoric coming from their leadership, and it's identical to the shit coming out of the Texas GQP.

And the hell of it is, we're trying like hell to piss away the actual advantages that we DO have.  It's one thing to be born shitty like Mississippi and just stay that way.  It's quite another to be born with some advantages and then blow them.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Gengs1 said:

Now if the dems were smart, hammer the republicans on the federal gov save us please 

Yeah, but they won't because when they go low, we go high, and other self-righteous ivory tower bullshit.

The entire GOP needs to be kicked in the junk, but the Dems care more about being perceived as good sports than they do about winning the damned fight.

• Hook 'Em 3

JACKSON, Miss.—Only days before the effective collapse of Jackson’s water system, the Environmental Protection Agency highlighted a critical failure on the part of the capital city’s leaders in pursuing new water operations staff and in implementing an alternative water plan. These compounding errors have emerged as the foundation of the new stage of the Jackson water crisis, with City of Jackson facilities unable to generate enough clean water to keep the system close to full pressure. 

In spite of critical staffing shortages threatening the basic operation of the O.B. Curtis Water Treatment Plant, EPA leadership warned that the City of Jackson has put no visible effort into hiring new employees.

“There’s very specific training to become a Class A (water) operator,” Carol Kemker, the director of the EPA’s Enforcement and Compliance Assurance Division, told the Mississippi Free Press in an Aug. 26 interview. Kemker has previously visited Jackson to tour its water system. 

“We have not seen any evidence that (the City of Jackson) has tried to reach that labor pool,” she said. 

https://www.mississippifreepress.org/26791/no-efforts-to-recruit-epa-says-jackson-failed-to-address-water-system-needs

• Hook 'Em 1

I checked out the 2019 governor election for MS. Surprisingly Reeves only beat the Dem candidate by 5%. I would have guessed 15+. The 5% only represents 45K votes. 

2023 may not be kind for Reeves. It will be worth a watch to see if the state GOP wants to support him, or find someone else less toxic.

54 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Should I feel bad for not giving a fuck about this and this state in general? I mean haven’t these guys barely evolved since the civil war happened 150 years or so ago?

I just have a really low opinion of the states between Texas and Georgia.

Yes because of what @Bama Chick said. 

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

I know generally where they are located

Southern States of the Confederacy - CSA | Map, Old maps, Historical maps

Reminds me that I wanted to bring up the not-so-subtle dig by NPR this morning.  It was one of those "on this day in history" bits -- mentioned how today in 1864, federal troops occupied Atlanta.  Followed by "and that happened after several southern states tried to secede from the Union after their side lost an election."

The confederate states are a pus-filled infectious boil on this country, and have been for two centuries.  It's time to join the civilized world, fucksticks.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

If the second is actually true, the individual members of the ledge who authorized this should be criminally prosecuted by the feds.

The FBI is investigating the use of welfare funds to pay Farve for speeches he did not give and the construction of a USM volleyball complex where Farve’s daughter played. 

https://mississippitoday.org/2022/04/04/phil-bryant-brett-favre-welfare-scandal-payout/

Mississippi remains a shit stain of a state. 

Tate Reeves is a clown that most Republicans don't like. 

As for the water, its 100% Jackson's fault.  This isn't some natural disaster that just happened.  They've avoided any upkeep for years and don't even collect their bills.  The EPA has been all over their ass for years and the Mayor has ignored it.  Its every bit as bad or worse than Flint Michigan.  And like Flint, a state takeover is probably the only fix.  But Jackson leadership, for obvious reasons, has pushed back on that for years.

https://www.epa.gov/ms/jackson-ms-drinking-water

A March 2020 EPA report revealed a history of non-compliance dating back to 2015, when lead levels began exceeding the acceptable range for three consecutive six-month periods. In February 2016, Mississippi health officials issued a compliance plan to Jackson PWS. The plan required Jackson to remediate a series of violations and come into compliance by 2019.

In January 2020, MSDH issued a violation for failure to adhere to the compliance plan. The March 2020 EPA report noted that Jackson had been forced to issue 750 boil-water notices to residents since 2016 and identified a litany of defects in the system, including uncalibrated monitoring systems for pollutants and fabrication of water samples, non-functioning raw-water screens dating back to 2017, UV systems used to disinfect water supply being offline for extended periods, no developed lead service line replacement plan, and too few Class-A water operators dating back to 2016.

The EPA issued additional non-compliance notices in May 2020 and April 2021, before, on July 1, 2021, entering a new consent order which required Jackson to produce both a comprehensive staffing and repair plan, along with consistent monitoring and reporting on the system.

The system has continued to be plagued with problems, with new boil-water notices being issued starting in June of this year and increasing pressure from the EPA to demonstrate compliance.

Now, its a billion dollar problem and Jackson doesn't have the money to fix it.  Would be nice if they even bothered to collect their bills.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2021/07/13/jackson-mayor-unveils-past-due-water-bill-forgiveness-plan/7936924002/

One source of funding frustration is the system for water-bill collections itself. For years, Jackson has been plagued with customers reporting that they either do not receive bills or that they receive astronomical bills unrelated to actual water usage. City officials acknowledge this problem and say it will not be fixed until 2024. One report last year estimated the city had over $100 million in unpaid water bills.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

In January 2020, MSDH issued a violation for failure to adhere to the compliance plan. The March 2020 EPA report noted that Jackson had been forced to issue 750 boil-water notices to residents since 2016

If I didn't know better, I'd guess they were being serviced by AquaTexas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

NYT pointed out today that Mississippi, while the poorest of states, is still rich in the overall scheme of things, with an average income better than Portugal, close to but not quite Spain level. On top of that, they get 24 Billion of US aid. This isn't lack of money. It's 100% fucked-up leadership.

And there but for the grace of God go many more of us.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Their frat boy Governor is THE WORST

b624aee7265a4dc46138fe726ed33163.jpg
d34d2d4b8cd33becd59cc968a632507c.jpg

Joey two scoops needs to make a very public spectacle of the aid. 18 wheelers full of bottled water should be headed there now and he should fly down and survey the emergency 

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Their frat boy Governor is THE WORST

b624aee7265a4dc46138fe726ed33163.jpg
d34d2d4b8cd33becd59cc968a632507c.jpg

Joey two scoops needs to make a very public spectacle of the aid. 18 wheelers full of bottled water should be headed there now and he should fly down and survey the emergency 

25 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Tate Reeves is a clown that most Republicans don't like. 

As for the water, its 100% Jackson's fault.  This isn't some natural disaster that just happened.  They've avoided any upkeep for years and don't even collect their bills.  The EPA has been all over their ass for years and the Mayor has ignored it.  Its every bit as bad or worse than Flint Michigan.  And like Flint, a state takeover is probably the only fix.  But Jackson leadership, for obvious reasons, has pushed back on that for years.

https://www.epa.gov/ms/jackson-ms-drinking-water

A March 2020 EPA report revealed a history of non-compliance dating back to 2015, when lead levels began exceeding the acceptable range for three consecutive six-month periods. In February 2016, Mississippi health officials issued a compliance plan to Jackson PWS. The plan required Jackson to remediate a series of violations and come into compliance by 2019.

In January 2020, MSDH issued a violation for failure to adhere to the compliance plan. The March 2020 EPA report noted that Jackson had been forced to issue 750 boil-water notices to residents since 2016 and identified a litany of defects in the system, including uncalibrated monitoring systems for pollutants and fabrication of water samples, non-functioning raw-water screens dating back to 2017, UV systems used to disinfect water supply being offline for extended periods, no developed lead service line replacement plan, and too few Class-A water operators dating back to 2016.

The EPA issued additional non-compliance notices in May 2020 and April 2021, before, on July 1, 2021, entering a new consent order which required Jackson to produce both a comprehensive staffing and repair plan, along with consistent monitoring and reporting on the system.

The system has continued to be plagued with problems, with new boil-water notices being issued starting in June of this year and increasing pressure from the EPA to demonstrate compliance.

Now, its a billion dollar problem and Jackson doesn't have the money to fix it.  Would be nice if they even bothered to collect their bills.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2021/07/13/jackson-mayor-unveils-past-due-water-bill-forgiveness-plan/7936924002/

One source of funding frustration is the system for water-bill collections itself. For years, Jackson has been plagued with customers reporting that they either do not receive bills or that they receive astronomical bills unrelated to actual water usage. City officials acknowledge this problem and say it will not be fixed until 2024. One report last year estimated the city had over $100 million in unpaid water bills.

most republicans don't like but he won the primary and then a state-wide election?

impoverished state of left behinds is impoverished state of left behinds.  let's go dawgs/rebels!

this is one of those moments that makes me so fucking excited and satisfied that our brilliant, current supreme court just ruled that federal agencies (specifically the e.p.a.) have no enforcement power.  that is super super wonderful anti-regulatory policy that puts things smartly back into the hands of locals on issues such as water infrastructure.  an excellent outcome indeed.

there is no way that when the governor gets together with all his ole miss frat buddies, check that, millsaps college (wtf), that they don't call that dude "tater."

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Ummm, I know it's an unpopular take, but take away getting lucky and having a shitload of oil under our dirt, and our proximity to Mexico giving us some tasty messican grub, and we're just a big-ass Mississippi.

Seriously, read the rhetoric coming from their leadership, and it's identical to the shit coming out of the Texas GQP.

And the hell of it is, we're trying like hell to piss away the actual advantages that we DO have.  It's one thing to be born shitty like Mississippi and just stay that way.  It's quite another to be born with some advantages and then blow them.

So are you saying that today you’d rather live in Mississippi over Texas?