Mississippi burning

Pancho

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Ummm, I know it's an unpopular take, but take away getting lucky and having a shitload of oil under our dirt, and our proximity to Mexico giving us some tasty messican grub, and we're just a big-ass Mississippi.

Seriously, read the rhetoric coming from their leadership, and it's identical to the shit coming out of the Texas GQP.

And the hell of it is, we're trying like hell to piss away the actual advantages that we DO have.  It's one thing to be born shitty like Mississippi and just stay that way.  It's quite another to be born with some advantages and then blow them.

you post this stupid shit every time, as a graduate of one of the best public state universities in the country.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So are you saying that today you’d rather live in Mississippi over Texas?

Interesting question, because you can only live in one spot, not an entire state. Lots of overlap.

For me the only part of Mississippi that I've seen and liked was Natchez. I could reside in that river town, my ancestral Selma crazy bouncing off and feeding from their similar crazy. Might not be good for either of us but sellers of linen suits would prosper.

Oxford was a little too "Look-We're-Oxford-We-Know-About-Books" for me.

The rest is a jumbled chunk like a grocery store pizza put through a blender. Nice trees though. Except in most of the Delta.

I'd put College Station last on my list. including vs Mexico, which my actions backed up.

About half of Texas would be higher than Mississippi on my list. The gated communities and Friscos would not be. They are mental Mississippis with excessive mortgages.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Federal gov has been supporting the state for decades. Also, the large cotton corps get subsidies too and less than 5% of assistance goes to the small operations. Reeves went to uni in Jackson which I suspect is the sole reason he is even bothering at all. The city demographics are the tell. (~16% white, ~78% black).

That demographic is surprising to me.  Maybe there is a lot of white flight from the inner city to the suburbs, because when we were there, seemed a pretty equal split in races we ran into.  Jackson itself is worth a visit.  They have a state park inside the city that is pretty decent for camping or RVs and the two Mississippi museums on history and civil rights are worth a day each.  Primos for breakfast and Roosters for anything else.  My son agrees with most of you after visiting that civil rights museum:  Mississippi is the worst.   

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

There is a reference to Jackson as “Jafrica” on Texags. Surprised?

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I'd put College Station last on my list. including vs Jackson MS

fifAggy

Jafrica is actually a pretty cool name. Too bad Aggroid can't appreciate that.

ATM is pretty much a fossilized tribute to the old Deep South Military Academy for wayward younger sons.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Me neither. Hence my comment about, even with all the faults of our shithole, Mississippi is a worse, if not the worst, shithole.

Right.  Like I said, we have two pluses in our favor that Miss doesn't have: oil and tasty tex-mex.  The tasty tex-mex is my photo above, and.....

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

you post this stupid shit every time, as a graduate of one of the best public state universities in the country.

......a great university funded in large part by the Permanent University Fund, almost all of which is funded by......oil and gas:

The Permanent University Fund (PUF) is one of our state’s most unique, important, and enduring competitive advantages. In 1876, the Texas Constitution set aside land in West Texas to support The University of Texas and Texas A&M systems of higher education. Today, that land – encompassing 2.1 million acres – is leased to oil and gas companies whose wells generate revenue that flows into the PUF.

Take all that oil money away, is UT nearly the university is has become?  Of course not.  Santa Rita No. 1 occupies an important spot on campus because it literally helped make us what we are.

And enchiladas occupy an important spot on our dinner table because they're awesome.

Take those things away, and we're a shitload closer to Mississippi than any of us would be comfortable with.

• Hook 'Em 2

you can't even hold the thought through.  brisket: "we piss away the advantages we DO have." 

"you're posting as a graduate of a great school, retard."

"yeah, but it's great only because we used the advantages texas has to make a great university.  this in no way is completely the opposite of what i just posted. checkmate, libtard."

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

you can't even hold the thought through.  brisket: "we piss away the advantages we DO have." 

"you're posting as a graduate of a great school, retard."

"yeah, but it's great only because we used the advantages texas has to make a great university.  this in no way is completely the opposite of what i just posted. checkmate, libtard."

Fair, fair.  I have learned a lot about cognitive dissonance in these past few years, maybe some of it has rubbed off.

But....I'll ask you this.....do you think that our current GQP government is working to make our First Class university better and more respected, or worse and less respected?  I'll point you to the "Liberty Institute" (now "Civitas Institute," because our dumbass "conservative" leadership isn't even smart enough to come up with a name that wont get them sued) in case you were wondering about our direction.

Or maybe we can look at our relative per capita student funding (through high school).  Our economic power should DWARF Mississippi's, right?  They are at 47, at $8,919.....we're just over $1,000 ahead of that, at 38th and $10,314.  States like West Virginia and Louisiana are ahead of us.  We are a LOT closer to Mississippi than we ever, ever should be.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

That demographic is surprising to me.  Maybe there is a lot of white flight from the inner city to the suburbs, because when we were there, seemed a pretty equal split in races we ran into.  Jackson itself is worth a visit.  They have a state park inside the city that is pretty decent for camping or RVs and the two Mississippi museums on history and civil rights are worth a day each.  Primos for breakfast and Roosters for anything else.  My son agrees with most of you after visiting that civil rights museum:  Mississippi is the worst.   

Bingo!!! Pearl, Clinton, Madison, Brandon, are all over 55% with all but Clinton being over 70% white. And you'd be surprised by Florida's racial history. 

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Or because it’s the state capital and that’s kind of where governors usually live. 

No.

I mean you're factually correct, but Reeves is behaving the way the GOP does towards DC and its denizens. His patronage will only be towards any establishment that to not support would cause him actual physical or social peer discomfort. Think of it the way Ted Cruz did Houston about a year and a half ago and you'll get my point.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

No.

I mean you're factually correct, but Reeves is behaving the way the GOP does towards DC and its denizens. His patronage will only be towards any establishment that to not support would cause him actual physical or social peer discomfort. Think of it the way Ted Cruz did Houston about a year and a half ago and you'll get my point.

And he would only experience physical or social peer discomfort there because that’s where he lives and works, not because that’s where he went to school.

On 9/2/2022 at 12:04 PM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

You mean the one we’ve been barely holding together after years of attack by the lege? The one we are making harder and harder for working class and first generation college grads like me to attend? The one where the academic freedom to teach social studies and entire legal frameworks is going to be put to the question in the next legislative session by our (Maryland Native) Lt. Gov in the next session as part of a national effort to rewrite American history?

There’s nothing wrong about what he said. We used to be Mississippi with good roads, we aren’t even that anymore. 30 years of mismanagement by carpetbaggers and their quislings has run this state into the ground and it’s only our fading but still remarkable culture of entrepreneurship and native community generosity  that keeps this place from the abyss. 

If you want to live out DC think-tank  experiments in social engineering, fine. But don’t piss down the legs of real-deal Texans and tell us it’s raining. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 4

You mean the one we’ve been barely holding together after years of attack by the lege? The one we are making harder and harder for working class and first generation college grads like me to attend? The one where the academic freedom to teach social studies and entire legal frameworks is going to be put to the question in the next legislative session by our (Maryland Native) Lt. Gov in the next session as part of a national effort to rewrite American history?

There’s nothing wrong about what he said. We used to be Mississippi with good roads, we aren’t even that anymore. 30 years of mismanagement by carpetbaggers and their quislings has run this state into the ground and it’s only our fading but still remarkable culture of entrepreneurship and native community generosity  that keeps this place from the abyss. 

If you want to live out DC think-tank  experiments in social engineering, fine. But don’t piss down the legs of real-deal Texans and tell us it’s raining. 

The Rock clapping gif

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Don't forget that Dan Patrick is going to eliminate tenure.

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dysfunction, corruption, and outright malice/contempt are the Mississippi trifecta.

And from the looks of it, Mississippi secretly controls many other states.

We were halfway to a Flint situation here in Birmingham when I moved back 17 years ago. Corrupt Bham government surrounded by corrupt county. You could buy a county commissioner for a pair of fancy shoes. We used the Feds multiple times to call artillery on our own positions, at least two generations of nests got un-feathered, and it's actually a lot better.

Of course, a big mining concern wants to go West Virginia on our water supply just upstream, and we're one idiot Jesus-and-a-shotgun-commercial Montgomery politician away from that. But at the moment, not bad.

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 6 months later...

https://news.yahoo.com/water-system-broken-one-pipe-112817587.html

5 million gallons a day.  365 days a year.  6 + years.  11 billion gallons of water?  Because no one cared.

Yet, City leadership still tries to point fingers elsewhere....

As residents had to boil their tap water and businesses closed because their faucets were dry, the break at the old Colonial Country Club squandered an estimated 5 million gallons of drinking water a day in a city that had none to spare.

No one knows for sure when the leak reached its current size. But newly appointed water officials say the city discovered the broken mainline pipe in 2016 and left it to gush, even as the water gouged out a swimming pool-size crater in the earth and city residents were forced to endure one drinking water crisis after another.

Jackson’s water system has been flirting with collapse for decades thanks to a combination of mismanagement, crumbling infrastructure and a series of ill-fated decisions that cost the utility money that it did not have. In 2022, the Justice Department reached an agreement with the city requiring it to bring in an outside manager to run the water department.

“The size of the leak is probably not uncommon,” said Jordan Hillman, chief operating officer of JXN Water, the management company formed last year to lead Jackson’s effort to stabilize its water service. The time it took to respond to it is very uncommon. Most places would see this as an immediate threat because that’s a ticking time bomb. As it eats the ground out away from it, you’re eventually going to have a catastrophic failure.”

The broken pipe under the golf course is one of two main lines that move water from the OB Curtis Water Plant to smaller transmission lines that eventually connect to thousands of customers across the city. The 48-inch pipe is critical to south Jackson, a part of the city that has suffered the most from outages and boil water notices.

• Rage+1 1