2024 WR Hunter Moddon

Teryor

Standish confirms Marion was his 1st offer when at Pitt

Spoiler

Texas fans received a surprise on Friday when Hunter Moddon committed to the Longhorns.

The four-star athlete from Clear Lake High School in Houston chose Texas over offers from Georgia, LSU, Baylor, Ole Miss, TCU and Arkansas. Moddon earned a Texas offer during the spring and made several visits to Texas during that time. A two-way star who played both at wide receiver and cornerback, Moddon put up impressive times on the track running a 22.09 200 with a long jump on 23-4. He also competed in the 100 meters and the high jump.

Horns247 caught up with Moddon to get the latest on his commitment to Texas.

"The reasoning behind the date is because today is my Mother’s birthday and she always told me she loved Austin,” said Moddon. “What stood out about Texas is when I went up for a camp and a visit the atmosphere was amazing.”

The four-star from the greater Houston area went in further detail about what he valued from his July trip to Texas.

“The coaching staff really held me up. If I had a a good rep they’d make sure to point out the small details that I have to work on to get even better and I really liked that,” he said. “Honestly Texas just treated me like family and it is only a road trip away from home. My family can come down to my games extremely easily.”

While Moddon is viewed by some as an athlete, at Texas the fit was always clear as a wide receiver and his relationship with new Texas coach Brennan Marion was instrumental for selecting the Horns.

“Honestly Coach Marion and I have been locked in since I was a freshman when he worked at Pittsburgh,” he said. “That was my first offer so when he got to Texas I knew that was major.”

Moddon confirmed to Horns247 yesterday that he’ll be in attendance next weekend as the Longhorns host No. 1 Alabama.

While it's still very early in the cycle, the commitment from Moddon moves the Longhorns up to No. 6 in the 247Sports Team Rankings for the 2024 cycle. Texas holds commitments from three four-star prospects and an average rating of 95.42.

The Longhorns are looking to take a fairly big class in 2023 at the receiver position, so that might limit what they can do in 2024. Texas has in-state offers out to players like Smithson Valley's Freddie Dubose, Lake Belton's Micah Hudson, Silsbee's Drelon Miller and Lovejoy's Parker Livingstone among several others. Adding speed and dynamic athleticism to the offense has been a major priority since Steve Sarkisian arrived, and Moddon definitely checks that box.

At 6-feet, 175 pounds, Moddon is ranked as the No. 18 athlete in the nation and No. 20 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 2