12 Team College Football Playoff On The Way

Hiphopopotamos

• Hiphopopotamos changed the title to 12 Team College Football Playoff On The Way

Please don't involve the bowls. Let the first round be home games for the higher ranked team. 

And yes, 12 feels like too many and could water down the regular season. 8 seemed best. 5 conference champs, 3 at large. But I guess once the SEC and Big 10 went beyond 14, it was always going to be a higher number. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 with every conference champ getting a berth is perfect. This system would be better but it still leaves open the possibility that a team could theoretically go undefeated and untied and not win the championship. If that's possible then your league doesn't have a real playoff. 

If the bottom of FBS is that far beneath you then split.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Put me down for 12 is too many. Maginalizes the regular season

If the regular season mattered that much, the big boys wouldn't be playing FCS teams, and that's just a starting point.

The higher the number of playoff qualifiers, the less chance of bullshit shenanigans, or least with regard to the quality of teams left out.

I prefer 16, but 12 is exponentially better than fucking 4.

Edited by slorch

10 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

That’s about 9% of teams making the postseason. I really can’t think of a large sports league with a more exclusive postseason, pros included. 

For reference 50% of NBA teams make the playoffs.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That’s about 9% of teams making the postseason. I really can’t think of a large sports league with a more exclusive postseason, pros included. 

For reference 50% of NBA teams make the playoffs.

Is there another sport where so few teams have a legitimate chance at winning the championship?

I support 12. Not sure why fewer teams are better in a lot of people’s eyes. Plenty of 6-seeds and wild cards have won the Super Bowl. It’s certainly not going to reduce the importance of the regular season. A whole bunch of 1- and 2-loss teams whose chances would be over under today’s system are going to be playing for a potential spot in the playoff in the final week under this system.

Edited by Auto Driller
  • Hook 'Em 9

39 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Nope. As it is, the CFP pool is set when the initial AP poll is released. The regular season is almost meaningless now, because only about 5-6 teams have a realistic shot at the 4-team invitational.

Now we get some Cinderella upsets and undoubtably the 4 best teams. If the semis and finals end up being rematches of SECX3 CCG, so be it, but at least it’s not a four team invitational anymore, in which only about 6 teams have a realistic shot on Sept. 1 anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 6

14 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

EPL soccer?  It's usually a 2-3 horse race by the middle of the season, and sometimes the favorite is so far ahead that the last 4 weeks don't even matter. 

What a surprise, a league without a playoff. That's what I meant by my argument that people get the cause and effect backwards. There wasn't no playoff then a small playoff because there were few legitimate contenders. There have been few legitimate contenders because there's been no or a small playoff. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Eight made the most sense, worked out to include highest ranked conference champions, and doesn't water down regular season or make the playoffs too long for the student athletes.

So of course, the presidents chose 12.

All they care about is money.  

They're in it for the money, not what's best!

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2