12 Team College Football Playoff On The Way

Hiphopopotamos

13 hours ago, Augustus said:

I get where you're coming from, but I believe it actually has the opposite effect.  It will make a lot of games meaningful that otherwise would have been meaningless, as far as post-season potential is concerned.  So it's expanding the number of meaningful regular season games.

No it won’t. See college basketball.

From a Buckeye perspective, the OSU-Michigan game is the biggest game on the schedule. It’s “The Game.” The big rivalry game at the end of the season. The team’s goals are: beat Michigan, win the Big Ten East, win the Big Ten, win a national championship. In that order. Last year the Buckeyes lost to Michigan. They didn’t win the conference, they didn’t compete for a national championship.

In a 12-team playoff, they would still have gotten in. The Game wouldn’t have been as important. The conference championship wouldn’t have been as important. It just meant they would’ve been a 6 seed instead of a 3 seed. The expanded playoff will definitely weaken the regular season.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

From a Buckeye perspective, the OSU-Michigan game is the biggest game on the schedule. It’s “The Game.” The big rivalry game at the end of the season. The team’s goals are: beat Michigan, win the Big Ten East, win the Big Ten, win a national championship. In that order. Last year the Buckeyes lost to Michigan. They didn’t win the conference, they didn’t compete for a national championship.

In a 12-team playoff, they would still have gotten in. The Game wouldn’t have been as important. The conference championship wouldn’t have been as important. It just meant they would’ve been a 6 seed instead of a 3 seed. The expanded playoff will definitely weaken the regular season.

No question, there are going to be some games whose implications are diminished.

But there are going to be a whole lot more games that would have been irrelevant that will now have playoff implications.

It's a net positive in a huge way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Augustus said:

No question, there are going to be some games whose implications are diminished.

But there are going to be a whole lot more games that would have been irrelevant that will now have playoff implications.

It's a net positive in a huge way.

Can you give me a f’rinstance?

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I think the NFL should only invite 2 teams because inviting 14 diminishes the regular season.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s always going to be true regardless of what y’all’s records are. You could face them 8-3 vs 7-4 and it’s still going to be the big circled calendar date of the year. That’s what makes rivalries special, not championship implications. The championship implications aren’t going to be there every single season.

And that’s not unique to college football, either. 

Back in 2009 I coached at Wichita Falls High School. The team was terrible. By the end of the year, they’d gone into the final game 2-7. No playoff spot available to them, no real purpose to the rest of the season, right? Except that last opponent was Wichita Falls Rider; their arch rival…who was also entering the game 2-7 with no shot at the playoffs. There wasn’t an empty seat in that stadium, and it was known to be that way well in advance.

In those games, the records don’t matter. In 1997, Texas and Oklahoma met in the cotton bowl, and neither team had a winning record (Texas was 2-2, OU was 2-3). The stadium was filled to capacity, again as expected. It’s also well understood that a big part of your job as head coach of either school depends on whether or not you can beat that team across the river. If you can’t, you’re not gonna last long.

Again, the argument that expanding the playoff diminishes the regular season relies on inherently fallacious reasoning. I can find no better example of a non sequitur than that. Well maybe I can find a contender…

• Like 1

I hope this means the regular season is shortened to remove some non-conference games. What's the point of beating 2 FCS schools every year?  It's a built-in preseason that nobody cares about. 

Aso, cut down on dumb Bowls. No team should be in a Bowl unless they can get 7-8 wins in the regular season. We don't need any more GalleryFurniture.com Bowls. 

Focus on the playoffs and a few major bowls, that's what will matter the most. Winning a championship will be so much more meaningful with 12 teams, no more BS leaving out 1 loss or undefeated teams. This is gonna be great!

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, mdleast said:

I wondered about that too. Is that because that is when the current contract expires?

Yes. And the rose bowl was told to sign on or Get in the motherfucker (we might leave you out of the next contract). So they caved. Here we are. One more year of the four team playoff. Likely last year in the big 12. We need to win the conference so our First year and last year are both conference champs, just like the SWC, while also going to the last 4 team playoff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/4/2022 at 11:20 AM, Dutchrudder said:

I hope this means the regular season is shortened to remove some non-conference games. What's the point of beating 2 FCS schools every year?  It's a built-in preseason that nobody cares about. 

Aso, cut down on dumb Bowls. No team should be in a Bowl unless they can get 7-8 wins in the regular season. We don't need any more GalleryFurniture.com Bowls. 

Focus on the playoffs and a few major bowls, that's what will matter the most. Winning a championship will be so much more meaningful with 12 teams, no more BS leaving out 1 loss or undefeated teams. This is gonna be great!

Why shorten the season? They need to expand the regular season and ban FCS games.

Eliminate lower tier bowl games and, if they are going to go to a 12 team playoff, scrap conference championship games and add more regular season conference games.

I would go with 11 or 12 conference games and 1 or 2 nonconference games against Power 3/5 Competition. They could add a lower tiered playoff like the  NIT.

Line up and play real competition.

The next step is to eliminate some very weak teams in the ACC, B1G and PAC, if they aren't going to invest enough to remain competitive on the field. tOSU, Michigan, Clemson, and to a lesser extent Oregon and USC have weak schedules most years. There's 12 to 24 Power 5 programs that need to step it up or else go play in a lower division of football.

15 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Why shorten the season? They need to expand the regular season and ban FCS games.

Eliminate lower tier bowl games and, if they are going to go to a 12 team playoff, scrap conference championship games and add more regular season conference games.

I would go with 11 or 12 conference games and 1 or 2 nonconference games against Power 3/5 Competition. They could add a lower tiered playoff like the  NIT.

Line up and play real competition.

The next step is to eliminate some very weak teams in the ACC, B1G and PAC, if they aren't going to invest enough to remain competitive on the field. tOSU, Michigan, Clemson, and to a lesser extent Oregon and USC have weak schedules most years. There's 12 to 24 Power 5 programs that need to step it up or else go play in a lower division of football.

You just expanded the regular season to 14 games possibly?  Then a playoff, What?   You were definitely sandbagging the idea of college kids playing 18 games possibly.  Go with one less non conference game (less powderpuffs) and definitely with huge conferences still have CCG.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hook1997 said:

You just expanded the regular season to 14 games possibly?  Then a playoff, What?   Go with one less non conference game (less powderpuffs) and definitely with huge conferences still have CCG.  

I expanded the regular season by one game (11 CG + 2 OOC or 12 + 1) while eliminating conference championship games. I also added anywhere from 2 to 4 conference games. I'm not saying that is what will happen. I'm saying it would be a better system. A tougher schedule to determine the conference champs and the playoffs. It eliminates the ATM's of the world from trying to schedule/predict P5 teams that aren't good at the time they play each other.  Who cares if there is a tie for the conference title when the 12 team playoff is right around the corner. I'd prefer 11 or 12 conference games in a 16 to 20 team conference versus 9 or 10 + CCG.

If they can expand the regular season to 14 games, I would be all for it. Maybe it is 12 or 13 conference games; or maybe it is all 14 within the conference. But I'm not sure that's feasible with the new playoff.

The kids are getting paid now.  There are more possibilities.

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yes. And the rose bowl was told to sign on or Get in the motherfucker (we might leave you out of the next contract). So they caved. Here we are. One more year of the four team playoff. Likely last year in the big 12. We need to win the conference so our First year and last year are both conference champs, just like the SWC, while also going to the last 4 team playoff. 

Someone a while back said they should just give the rose bowl an ultimatum or let them become irrelevant. It was obvious and the powers that be are finally playing by new rules.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

you mean like almost all other pro and college sports, including div I FCS, II and III college football, that have playoff games at home?

i only mentioned college not pro and yes I don't like FCS at home either.  Strange thing is that CCGs are on neutral sites and in NFL stadiums.  The main point is venue neutrality is best because college football has a serious advantage for home teams. 

On 9/3/2022 at 10:11 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

You wanna explain the Bucknuts playing Tulsa and Akron in 2021? How 'bout Arkansas State and Toledo in 2022?

GTFO of here with the "sanctity of the regular season' horseshit.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

i only mentioned college not pro and yes I don't like FCS at home either.  Strange thing is that CCGs are on neutral sites and in NFL stadiums.  The main point is venue neutrality is best because college football has a serious advantage for home teams. 

Then work to be a home team. 

Venue neutrality in college football has its place — Dallas and Jacksonville, mostly — but travel dollars aren’t infinite. Packed and rocking home stadiums are almost certainly the way to go for first round games, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Then work to be a home team.  Venue neutrality in college football has its place — Dallas and Jacksonville, mostly — but travel dollars aren’t infinite. Packed and rocking home stadiums are almost certainly the way to go for first round games, imo. 

Yeah expecting a neutral location for Teams ranked #9 thru #12 seems excessive...

I like rewarding #5 thru #8 with an additional home game.

8 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

You just expanded the regular season to 14 games possibly?  Then a playoff, What?   You were definitely sandbagging the idea of college kids playing 18 games possibly.  Go with one less non conference game (less powderpuffs) and definitely with huge conferences still have CCG.  

Don't high school teams that reach the state championship play 16 games?

17 or 18 is not that big of a deal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Guess the P5 conferences will still play championship games. 

So top 4 P5 Champions get automatic bye week but are not necessarily the Top 4 ranked CFP teams??  That will make for fun conversations in a few years... 😋

Under new rules for example, if Utah/Kstate/Lsu win their Championship Games this year they would all get byes...

Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Guess the P5 conferences will still play championship games. 

So top 4 P5 Champions get automatic bye week but are not necessarily the Top 4 ranked CFP teams??  That will make for fun conversations in a few years... 😋

Under new rules for example, if Utah/Kstate/Lsu win their Championship Games this year they would all get byes...

Pretty sure SEC, and Big10 are doing away with divisions for future championship games.   ACC champion this year other than Clemson would not be a good result, but would not get a bye since worst P5 conference... 

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Pretty sure SEC, and Big10 are doing away with divisions for future championship games.   ACC champion this year other than Clemson would not be a good result, but would not get a bye since worst P5 conference... 

A lot of the CCGs going forward will have scenarios where both teams are playing for a playoff bye.  Which is a great thing, imo.

Gives more reason to chase the 1 and 2 seeds also, because the 5th and 6th seeds might be monster teams that got upset in their CCGs.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1