12 Team College Football Playoff On The Way

Hiphopopotamos

6 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Are they gonna pass out participation trophies and go for ice cream afterwards?

8 is the number.

C'mon, even if you are the 12 seed but run that 4-game gauntlet against the best teams in college football after an already great season then you are a deserving champion. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Nothing bad could possibly come from this dumb idea. I love water, I love drinking it I don't love drowning. This is too much and fucking pointless. It will ruin college football and strangle everything we love about it.

The NCAA basketball tournament says you are wrong. If a top seed gets upset it is worth it's weight in gold. If every single conference fan base is tuned into the playoffs to see how their champ does, and you have a bunch of awesome top 10 games, that is huge money. I think this will force the end of conference championship games because you want as many top rated teams as possible, and it frees up a week for games. That is also a plus. You will also not see a bunch of dudes opting out of the playoff instead of bullshit bowls. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Every system gets better than the last but it's crazy it has taken 130 years or so to get anything resembling a real post season like every other team sport people care about has had for most of our lifetimes.

I would have gone with 8 if it were up to me.  5 P5 winners and top 3 ranked at large, no carve outs for G5 or Independents.

I could be convinced this format is better than that though.  The first 2-3 years I expect blood baths in the early rounds, the way 1v4 and 2v3 has mostly been in the current CFP.  I do think this format *eventually* (along with a mature NIL landscape) leads to a better talent distribution nationwide where 3-4 years in, the top 4-6 have a legit shot instead of how it has been.  Also 12 vs 8 means a fuck ton more money for the sport.  I'll take anything that gives me more ranked matchups especially when they are likely to be inter conference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The lack of a playoff is part of why so few teams have had a legitimate shot. If MLB had a two team playoff there would be 3 teams with a legitimate shot this year, for example. 

I mean MLB literally used to only have a two team playoff until 1969. So this expansion is just bringing CFB in line with other sports

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If Pom announced they were giving $5 blowjobs to raise money for charity some of you would be on here shortly afterwards complaining about their technique.

Well, are they minding the step-children and running all the way through the finish line, or not?

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Crockett said:

C'mon, even if you are the 12 seed but run that 4-game gauntlet against the best teams in college football after an already great season then you are a deserving champion. 

So will regular season schedules be reduced to 11 games?

If not, a team could end up playing 17 games.

Wow

Edited by LTtxfan

8 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Byes are stupid when teams are ranked by human (AP writers’ and biased coaches) eyeballs instead of strictly wins and losses. Huge advantage for the top 4, or should we go ahead and say for Bama, Ohio St, Clemson, and each year’s other top 4 darling. Therefore, it should be 8 or 16.

Being #4 in this system will double your chances versus being #5 (actually less but for argument's sake). 

What does being 4 instead of 5 do now? 

13 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Byes are stupid when teams are ranked by human (AP writers’ and biased coaches) eyeballs instead of strictly wins and losses. Huge advantage for the top 4, or should we go ahead and say for Bama, Ohio St, Clemson, and each year’s other top 4 darling. Therefore, it should be 8 or 16.

The top 4 will be the 4 highest ranked conference champions, which removes most of the subjectivity.  The champions of the Big 10 and SEC will always finish top 4, so that means the other 4 conference champions are fighting over the last 2 top 4 seeds.  I imagine most years it will be fairly obvious who among the ACC/Big 12/Pac 12/G5 champs most deserves a top 4 seed.

1 hour ago, Crockett said:

Not to mention a 12-team playoff (or even 16) would make it the most exclusive playoff in the entire sport from high school on up. Nobody ever says that, though. Some always like to whine that this or that number is “too many” without ever giving a clear definition of what that even means or why it’d be a bad thing. It’s just all about the whims and wishes from the bedtime story people.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

You know someone should invent a computer system to rank teams to decide the top spots. I don’t see how that could go wrong. 

I’m pretty sure the CFP committee will continue to give the final rankings, but I haven’t read the fine print

6 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Put me down for 12 is too many. Maginalizes the regular season

This thread is 3 pages long by the time I started reading it, so I'm sure someone has already noted this, but...

I get where you're coming from, but I believe it actually has the opposite effect.  It will make a lot of games meaningful that otherwise would have been meaningless, as far as post-season potential is concerned.  So it's expanding the number of meaningful regular season games.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Augustus said:

This thread is 3 pages long by the time I started reading it, so I'm sure someone has already noted this, but...

I get where you're coming from, but I believe it actually has the opposite effect.  It will make a lot of games meaningful that otherwise would have been meaningless, as far as post-season potential is concerned.  So it's expanding the number of meaningful regular season games.

There’s also the added element of the absence of any reason to believe that it “marginalizes the regular season.” That’s just a form of extremist religious dogma that was concocted by fanboys of the bowl system. As far as actual logic is concerned, it ranks right up there with belief in the firmament.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

There’s also the added element of the absence of any reason to believe that it “marginalizes the regular season.” That’s just a form of extremist religious dogma that was concocted by fanboys of the bowl system. As far as actual logic is concerned, it ranks right up there with belief in the firmament.

I've spent a lot of time contemplating the firmament.

Much more time on college football, however.

8 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Put me down for 12 is too many. Maginalizes the regular season

I’m not sure I could further marginalize the overwhelming majority of college football regular season games. They’re already garbage.

Playoffs are exciting. Let’s do more of that, less of the other.

I used to have an argument with a friend about going to a playoff system. We argued about this from 1980 until they finally happened in 2014, and his arguments were the two most common.

1.  The poll-based championship required "perfection," not just getting hot at the right time.

2.  It would make regular season games so much less important.

He was a pretty smart guy, so I never understood his reasoning here, because

1.  No, it doesn't.  Plenty of teams won the MNC with a loss on their record.  LSU won a share of it with two freaking losses.

2. Under that system, one loss typically guaranteed that your national championship hopes were over with, assuming you were one of the precious few teams with legitimate hopes.  A larger, but still small, set of teams were playing for conference championships, and that's about it.  So I'd estimate somewhere around 99% of the games played were meaningless as far the MNC was concerned.

But now, you can have a late season game between two teams that would have meant absolutely nothing with respect to the national championship under the old system, but...with respect to a potential at-large bid to the playoffs?  Now that game means everything.  It's meaningful to the fans of that team, to the fans of the team who wants to play spoiler, and to the rest of us who enjoy watching games that have something riding on them.

12 teams is long overdue.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2