12 Team College Football Playoff On The Way

Hiphopopotamos

2 hours ago, Trojan Man said:

I don't understand why anyone outside of bowl committees and boomers refusing to adapt to the times would support keeping neutral sites and bowl games so heavily involved with an expanded playoff.  Rotate the title game between the Rose and Sugar.  They're clearly a cut above all other bowls and they are the preferred bowl games of the two conferences that control CFB now.  Play every other playoff game at the homefield of the higher seed.  The schools and their towns keep the gameday revenue instead of giving it away to bowl games and other cities.  On campus games are a lot more fun than neutral site games, both for TV audiences and attendees.  There are plenty of stadiums I want to personally see USC play in some day.  Not a single one of them is a boring neutral site NFL stadium.  I'm a lot more likely to attend a playoff game at LSU than a playoff game vs LSU in the Fiesta Bowl.  All on campus playoff games would be sellouts since you're not asking every fanbase in the playoff to criss-cross all over the country to see their team at a time of year when traveling and lodging is more expensive than usual.  You keep the regular season important and prevent anyone from resting starters because you're still playing for seeding, even if you have already locked up a bid.

We've already discarded all the history and tradition and prestige associated with bowl games.  They're a relic of a bygone era.  Might as well go balls deep and take this last step of moving all playoff games on campus except the title game instead of a half measure where we try to fight against the current and keep bowls relevant when they are clearly fading away.  To me this is the silver lining of money calling all the shots now in CFB.  Playing in bowls instead of on campus gives away too much money, and one day the decision makers will realize it.

We already rotate the title game.  It is bid out.  Its Sofi in LA this year.  NRG in Houston next year.  Mercedes stadium in Atlanta the year after that.

On 12/2/2022 at 12:10 PM, LTtxfan said:

"The expanded 12-team bracket will feature the six highest ranked conference champions as automatic qualifiers along with the next six highest ranked teams.  The four highest ranked conference champions will be seeded 1-4 with first round byes.  The next four highest ranked teams (Nos. 5-8) will host the first round match-ups. "

Thanks... 😋 

Not a fan of automatic byes for the Conference Championship game winners...

K-State, Utah, and Tulane should not get byes if 12 Team Playoffs in effect this year

• Hook 'Em 1

I think we will see the committee go for the Michigan/Ohio State rematch in round 1, just because. Also it fucks over TCU in round 1, and ensures Georgia vs tOSU/Mich final. To me that's their best option, unless they can argue that USC or Bama deserve that #4 spot. I couldn't argue for that, but then again, I don't get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to sit around and decide which teams would be "best" for the NCAA to feature in the Playoffs.  

I predict:

1. Georgia

2. Michigan

3. Ohio State

4. TCU

• 7 months later...

May see 6 auto bids reduced to just 5 teams... go to a 5+7 at-large plan

CFP Expansion Model Could Be Changing Amid Conference Realignment

Story by Cameron Flynn •4h

The dust hasn't even settled on what was perhaps the wildest week - at least in terms of conference realignment - in college football history, but the discussions about how the recent shake ups will impact the College Football Playoff have already begun. 

The Playoff, set to expand to 12 teams next year, is currently formatted to give five Power 5 teams and one Group of 5 team an automatic bid in 2024. The remaining bids would go to the six highest-ranked non conference champions. 

Considering the current and projected state of the Pac-12 as a conference, however, lumping the west-coast league in with the rest of the now-Power 5 conferences may present a problem for the Playoff moving forward.  

On Friday, Ross Dellenger reported that "two CFP commissioners tell @YahooSports that the 6+6 expansion format should be re-examined (not surprising)." 

There hasn't been any serious discussions about a new format, Dellenger says, but some early suggestions have been spreading on social media. 

One of the most popular seems to be changing the six automatic bids to five, leaving seven at-large bids for the remaining spots. 

Don't be surprised to see major changes to the CFP expansion model announced in the near future. 

image.png

Edited by LTtxfan

Now the P5 is only Power 4

Curious as to what to expect the number of qualifiers from each conference will be in the 12 team playoffs ??   Maybe...

• SEC      3-5 teams
  • B10       3-5 teams
  • ACC      1-2 teams
  • B12        1-2 teams
  • Non P4   1 team
Edited by LTtxfan

Now the P5 is only Power 4
Curious as to what to expect the number of qualifiers from each conference will be going forward ??   Maybe...
  • SEC      3-5 teams
  • B10       3-5 teams
  • ACC      1-2 teams
  • B12        1-2 teams
  • Non P4   1 team

Seems about right. Probably drop to 4 auto bids for conference champs. Maybe one guaranteed G5.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Seems about right. Probably drop to 4 auto bids for conference champs. Maybe one guaranteed G5.

I'm not a fan of automatic byes for the Conference Championship game winners...

For example if the 12 team playoffs were in place for 2022, I don't think a team like K-State winning the B12 Championship game should receive a 1st Rd bye

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I'm not a fan of automatic byes for the Conference Championship game winners...

For example if the 12 team playoffs were in place for 2022, I don't think a team like K-State winning the B12 Championship game should receive a 1st Rd bye

Eh The Big Ten, Big 12, ACC and SEC champs should get a week off.  I mean with the championship games conference champs might play 16 games without a bye?  Also don’t think we need to see Georgia playing Tulane or whatever bottom seed that won’t have a chance anyway.