ULM Warhawks @ Longhorns 7PM on LHN - The Mullet Hath Arriveth

immamac

1 hour ago, Starfleet Command said:

Texas had around 200 yards at halftime - what is your excuse for that?  I wouldn’t trust this offense to find much success against good defenses  

On 7 offensive series, Texas gained 307 yards on 40 plays with the starting offense in the game…so 7.7 yards per play despite QE missing on each of the deep throws he attempted. The results were: 4 TDs, 1 FG, 1 missed FG (halftime cut the drive short), and 1 INT on QE’s first drive in which he tried to force the ball twice. So yeah, it would have been nice if the freshman QB hadn’t tried to force that ball on his first drive, and it would have been nice if he’d connected on one of his 2 or 3 deep balls to Worthy, but overall it seemed all right to me. Certainly imperfect, but all right.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

My concern for next week isn’t getting beat by bama it’s getting beat then limping in and losing to utsa the following week and the wheels come off again. I want to see the team improve week to week and that sark is the guy to do that, young roster or not we should get better every game. That’s development. Last night was good to see.

This. I am not so much concerned by the result of next week’s game as how we respond to that result. A few years back USC got blasted in the opener by Bama and rebounded to win the Pac12 and Rose Bowl.  I don’t expect that for us but nothing I saw last night tells me we don’t have the talent to go 8-4 in a down league. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The play of Quinn and the quality of young OL talent have be excited about the future. I don't hold the missed long balls against him. He hadn't played a real game in a long time and this was his first college game in front of a big crowd. Getting the timing right for those long balls need real game reps, but boy did he make other throws seem so effortless! He is going to be a great one for us if we are patient with him. How many times did we see Card or Thomson miss the short and intermediate throws? You want your QB to be able to routinely make those throws, which he did.

1 hour ago, Starfleet Command said:

Texas had around 200 yards at halftime - what is your excuse for that?  I wouldn’t trust this offense to find much success against good defenses  

I agree the defense did play fairly well overall, but with how bad that unit was last season I’m not going to be skeptical until they show some effectiveness against an offense. that’s worth a shit. 

You mean when we were up 24-3? Then came out in the second half and put up two sustained scoring drives then a pick 6 midway through the 3rd to go up 45-3 with 7 minutes left in the 3rd

I really liked Sanders emergence last night. That could prove to be a very useful weapon for Quinn's development and growth. He doesn't have to play hero ball and push a ball downfield that has the higher risk of being picked off. Go for the intermediate and outlet passes if you don't have a good downfield option. He kept a lot of drives going by doing outlet passes to Sanders. The long ball will come. I hope Sark comes out against Bama just throwing it all out there. There's no reason to take the Mack Brown approach and only feed Bijan who will get 30 carries for 60 yards. Give the young guys some chances to shine. What do you have to lose? Confidence? They're young. They'll get over it. 

Defense looked improved. Overshown was all over the field. Got some decent pressure. Only giving up a field goal with the 1st team. Got some turnovers. 

• Hook 'Em 5

The team is definitely much improved. Brockermeyer alone must have been worth 2 TD a game. Addition by subtraction for sure.

QE is a legit talent but will go through more growing pains.

DL has some playmakers. Burke is a huge positive surprise and is gonna make some noise this year.

Best collection of offensive skill position talent in a long time.

I still think we’re probably 8-4 or maybe 9-3 but I’ll take it.

Edited by Auto Driller
  • Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This season hinges on Ewers staying healthy. In a blowout against a shit opponent in game 1, I was fine with sitting him. If he got hurt, we’d be relying on Card and headed to a 4-8 season. 

Ewers needs the reps but keeping him upright and healthy is more important. The backup option is *shudders*

If we're down to Card, our running backs will be getting a shitload of carries. That or just go straight to the wildcat.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, immamac said:

It was difficult to tell how much was overthrow and how much was player not adjusting to ball being able to be thrown far. 

I do agree with the deep balls being late and that being the reason for at least 1 of the deep incompletions. 

It was cause for 2 for sure. On the first drive of the game and the one missed for a clear TD in the 2nd quarter. The timing was off and Quinn waited instead of anticipating and trusting the throw. Hopefully he makes those throws saturday. 

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Dear god we still hand wringing on this huh. We all knew this was a 7-5 8-4 season.  Due to youth and talent.  I just wanted to see us dominate someone who we should dominate and if the starters stayed in we we’re gonna put up 65 plus easily.  We were never going to compete against Bama. Just physical development alone. Our guys look like freshman year even our giants  you guys bitching and complaining are the ones thinking we had 10 wins in us lol 

We’re an 8-4 team. A bad break here we’re 7-5. Good breaks might lead us to 9-3 like ‘07 (riding Bijan like JC), but we’re rangebound as hell. I’d be fairly surprised to see us outside of that. 

That said, these “we can’t compete with Bama” comments are tiresome. Yes we can. We’re probably not winning and they’re probably covering. But it’s not going to be UGA-Oregon. 

Overall, this team is much better than last year but we’re still probably a middle of the road 8-4 team, maybe 9-3 if things click.

- Quinn needs a lot more reps.  He was late on quite a few throws.  Once again, we have WRs running wide open only for the QB to completely miss them.  If Quinn is as good as advertised, he will definitely correct this with more reps bc his arm is known for the deep ball.  Also, he had two terrible throws to start his career.  I’m happy that happened.  He then went on to complete like 8 passes in a row and convert multiple 4th downs.  That’s a positive from a mental standpoint vs card who shits himself repeatedly.

-OL looks improved but man, they are young and inexperienced.  Did any of you watch the Bama game.  That D-line is the best we will have faced since the Nebraska line with Suh.  I would take the Bama line over the Nebraska one from a total talent standpoint.  We just watched what UGA’s defense did to Oregon.  That game was 49-3 in the 3rd quarter.  Oregon returns a veteran and experienced OL…. We have a bunch of guys that are barely out of high school and dudes like Jake Majors and Christian Jones who should be playing at North Texas.  It’s going to be a bad loss.  You guys need to be prepared.

-  RBs, TEs, and WRs are all on a elite level.  We just won’t be able to fully maximize this talent with the current youth at OL and QB.

-  DL looked much better but honestly it’s hard to say given the competition.  I’ve just seen enough of Coburn, Sweat, Ojomo, Ovie, etc to know those guys are JAGs and none of those guys would even make 3rd string at programs competing for the CFP.

-  LBs looked WAAAAAYYY better which is to be expected considering they were probably the worst unit of all power 5 teams.  They might even be good this year if DTD and Ford can emerge as solid contributors.  I just never want to see Bush and Brockermeyer out there again.

-  DBs… a freshman was the best player out there today.  I think this unit is still lacking real talent.  Watts is a safety pretending to play corner.  Cook and Thompson lack athleticism and will get tested deep against ou.  Shark gets beat consistently but also makes plays.  The fact a true freshman was our best player should tell you all you need to know about this unit.  We really need to upgrade the talent here quickly through recruiting and portal.

- The return and block unit on special teams looks fucking great.  The snapper, punter, holder, kicker all look like pure shit.  We need to really just go for it on 4th down if we cross the 50 yard line.  

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

We’re an 8-4 team. A bad break here we’re 7-5. Good breaks might lead us to 9-3 like ‘07 (riding Bijan like JC), but we’re rangebound as hell. I’d be fairly surprised to see us outside of that. 

That said, these “we can’t compete with Bama” comments are tiresome. Yes we can. We’re probably not winning and they’re probably covering. But it’s not going to be UGA-Oregon. 

Not with THAT attitude, it's not...

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I mean look at last season, we were 5-7 and could have been 9-3 if we don’t shit the bed in games we had the lead in. That’s football though. Improvement is winning games you lead in. 

I guess. I’m not sure with Casey, Card, our OL, and our terrible front 7 that 9-3 was ever a real possibility. We shit the bed last year because we were a very mediocre team, at best. Our lines and linebackers were unquestionably bottom 10% in P5. 

Hutson gave up 2 sacks already. Jones already gave up a sack and looked rough on a few other pass plays.  I'm actually less worried about Banks against Bama than I am the right side of the line.  Banks looked solid although there were some run plays he looked a little lost and didn't touch anyone.

The positives from game 1 (playmaking TE for the first time in forever, Overshown looking his best, Sorrell providing a rush, Banks, DBs looking pretty good) far outweigh the negatives. 

But the Angilau injury and Cam Williams not being ready to replace Jones are going to be huge against Bama.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

The team is definitely much improved. Brockermeyer alone must have been worth 2 TD a game. Addition by subtraction for sure.

QE is a legit talent but will go through more growing pains.

DL has some playmakers. Burke is a huge positive surprise and is gonna make some noise this year.

Best collection of offensive skill position talent in a long time.

I still think we’re probably 8-4 or maybe 9-3 but I’ll take it.

Didn't he give up the lone TD by being out of position?

9 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I guess. I’m not sure with Casey, Card, our OL, and our terrible front 7 that 9-3 was ever a real possibility. We shit the bed last year because we were a very mediocre team, at best. Our lines and linebackers were unquestionably bottom 10% in P5. 

When the announcers called out that Brockermeyer had just entered the game at MLB, and then he fails to scrape to the hole and watches the RB waltz through for a TD, it was just #chefskiss.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

And Sarkasian did a lousy job coaching in close games.  We'll see if he's learning.

21 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

We lost by 1 to Kansas, blew leads to ou and okie lite and Baylor. If we had gotten blown out in all those games like arkansas I’d agree but a few things go our way and we could have easily been 9-3 or 8-4. 

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Yesterday's game clearly made the distinction between being a team that has improved and is good and being a seasoned, legit playoff contender.  Those who walked away unimpressed with Quinn or the team set themself up for disappointment from go.  Anybody worth a shit has been saying we have a lot of growing up to do.  The pieces are there we are just not running on all cylinders.  

As irrational as the standard is around here, to drop a 60 burger like a well oil machine on offense on day one, I guess I'd rather it than apathy.  That standard wasn't met last night, but in time it will.  Hoping for sooner rather than later, like 7 days, is too much to ask.   I imagine Sark saved some things, and we also see some flash next week but make no mistake we will face a seasoned title favorite.   

At this time, I'm just glad to see we have improved in every facet of the game save kicking.  We were good last night, and our defense lead the way. That defense wasn't just a little better.  They pursued, swarmed and tackled noticeably better.  Our first team defense against that same team last year would have gotten zero pressure, zero sacks, missed tackles and given up touchdowns. See the fourth quarter.  

Our offense would have struggled to move the ball making this a much closer game.  See when Card came in, man he is not good.

I get people wanted to see a well-oiled machine dropping bombs in the end zone like we saw in scrimmages.  Those and change are coming.  So are a few more picks, and many more of your irrational shitty takes.  

What the hell is a 60 burger?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We lost by 1 to Kansas, blew leads to ou and okie lite and Baylor. If we had gotten blown out in all those games like arkansas I’d agree but a few things go our way and we could have easily been 9-3 or 8-4. 

But we didn’t. There was a reason we gave up leads and let Kansas score 60. It wasn’t coaching. 

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

What the hell is a 60 burger?

1/2 lb ground beef, some Chipotle/Southwestern seasoning, Havati Cheese, Hatch CPs, Pico with side options of your choice - Ketchup, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Pickles, Mustard all on a brioche bun. All of this with Homemade fries and your choice of beverage. Delivered to you on the couch by a sexy and willing woman.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 2

The simple answer is we aren’t good. I didn’t see much improvement anywhere but it was an opener. Our QB is going to play bad, he looks like a high school QB. But…..he has the skill set to improve. I can see the pieces on offense, I don’t see any on D. Bama is going to kill us, if one loss turns into 2, everything falls apart.

• Haha 8

The o-line looked like we had three new starters. Our per-rush numbers ended up pretty good, but there was a lot of feast or famine. We'd lose a yard and then gain 15. We got a third of our yards on three carries. Against ULM, that's not a good look. On a positive note,  for the most part it seemed to be busted assignments rather than guys getting beat one-on-one. That's easier to fix than physical limitations.

11 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

The simple answer is we aren’t good. I didn’t see much improvement anywhere but it was an opener. Our QB is going to play bad, he looks like a high school QB. But…..he has the skill set to improve. I can see the pieces on offense, I don’t see any on D. Bama is going to kill us, if one loss turns into 2, everything falls apart.

What? You don't see any pieces on D? Our dline looked pretty dang good. We were a little soft behind that, but overall tackled well and didn't have anything real stupid on d until brockermeyer was in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The o-line looked like we had three new starters. Our per-rush numbers ended up pretty good, but there was a lot of feast or famine. We'd lose a yard and then gain 15. We got a third of our yards on three carries. Against ULM, that's not a good look. On a positive note,  for the most part it seemed to be busted assignments rather than guys getting beat one-on-one. That's easier to fix than physical limitations.

LOL. You didn’t watch the game. Pretty sure we didn’t lose a yard on a single run. The closest was Brooks getting stacked up for no gain deep in garbage time. Not every run is going for 5+

Your offense loses two possessions when you block a punt for a TD and return an Interception for a TD. Brings down your offensive numbers.

If we do not improve from our first game of the year, yes we will be mediocre because everybody else we play will have improved from their first game.  But to look at us yesterday and assume everything stays at that same level is stupid. It is a matter of staying healthy. If we stay healthy we have a chance to be very good.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

It was cause for 2 for sure. On the first drive of the game and the one missed for a clear TD in the 2nd quarter. The timing was off and Quinn waited instead of anticipating and trusting the throw. Hopefully he makes those throws saturday. 

His mechanics broke down on the deep throws. He had an odd jumping motion. He needs to settle down and keep his front foot on the ground 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Man lotta surprising bitching in here but it’s Surly so I’m probably the idoit for being surprised.

I have a fairly simple litmus test for you to consider when thinking about the direction of a team. I watch the WRs and TEs when they are in a position to block downfield. Both in form and ferocity. Our guys were doing fucking work last night, Sanders nuked a few guys and Whittington, oh Whittington. For a guy with his injury history to absolutely beast out in that facet of the game was a sight to behold.

Does any of that mean we beat Bama? Of course not. We are inexperienced in key spots but the talent and mentality looks to be there.

It was a very good opening game. Lots of good things, things there to work on.

We aight.

You mention the downfield blocking.  Watch some video of that 2005 team.  I remember seeing them 2 or 3 years back and thinking, "we don't do that anymore."

14 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

The starters played until midway through the 3rd Qtr before backups were inserted. Before the back ups came in, there were 0 rushes that lost yardage, and only 4 rushes that gained less than 5yds. Not really sure what your gripe is about

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

LOL. You didn’t watch the game. Pretty sure we didn’t lose a yard on a single run. The closest was Brooks getting stacked up for no gain deep in garbage time. Not every run is going for 5+

It happened a number of times.  Robinson lost yards on his 2nd carry just after the big gain.

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

you guys bitching and complaining are the ones thinking we had 10 wins in us lol 

Why can't they win 9 to 10?

Talent and competency on defense is improved. Offensive skill weapons are nearing elite. Have a WR or 2 that will be drafted, at least 2 RB that will be drafted, and probably a TE that will be drafted. 

No one else in the conference looked great this weekend. Okie state gave up 40+ to a nobody. Okie looks decent but not any better than we do. This coming week is the only time we play anyone we just don't have the horses to handle unless they just don't show up. 

• Hook 'Em 1