Texas Track and Field

Machinator

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 1:25 PM, Js1 said:

Looks like Texas is hiring Greg Metcalfe as an assistant/CC. Former UW head coach who resigned in 2018 for allegations of abuse, weight shaming and mistrust 

Terrible person but great coach. 

Maybe the best distance coach in the country. I knew Texas wouldn't be able to keep Pete Watson but they might have upgraded if Metcalf can keep his terrible behavior in check. 

Texas has never prioritized distance but Floreal is finally doing it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/25/2022 at 9:39 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

Rumor is that Alfred might be returning. Most thought she was going pro after this season. 

FYI Alfred and Simon returned this season. I don't know how Floreal is doing this but NIL must be kicking in because both could be making good money as pro athletes. 

The women's side is about to be a heavyweight battle between Texas and Florida. Both teams are loaded. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 5:01 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

Texas has never prioritized distance but Floreal is finally doing it. 

What do you know about Chris Riley (freshman, Austin McCallum).  He and my son are good friends, played soccer together until Chris started to focus solely on track around his junior year.  State champ 5A in the 1600 m, I think the same for Texas Relays.  He's on the roster, he may be a walkon?

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What do you know about Chris Riley (freshman, Austin McCallum).  He and my son are good friends, played soccer together until Chris started to focus solely on track around his junior year.  State champ 5A in the 1600 m, I think the same for Texas Relays.  He's on the roster, he may be a walkon?

He was a top distance recruit. Probably a top 10 recruit. 

If I had to guess he's a walkon simply because Texas doesn't allocate many (if any) to distance runners. But it should tell you that Texas is using NIL to their advantage because distance runners like this would normally go to a school that prioritizes most of their scholarships in cross country/distance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He was a top distance recruit. Probably a top 10 recruit. 

If I had to guess he's a walkon simply because Texas doesn't allocate many (if any) to distance runners. But it should tell you that Texas is using NIL to their advantage because distance runners like this would normally go to a school that prioritizes most of their scholarships in cross country/distance. 

Thanks.  I know his parents well, they went to HS with my wife, I don't think the scholly $ would have been a deciding factor, he's a sharp kid and has his eye on the ball, academically.  That said, they're smart enough to take a little NIL if it's out there, LOL.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks.  I know his parents well, they went to HS with my wife, I don't think the scholly $ would have been a deciding factor, he's a sharp kid and has his eye on the ball, academically.  That said, they're smart enough to take a little NIL if it's out there, LOL.

Yeah, Riley is a stud. Think he broke the Texas relays record in the 1600 and had either the top or 2nd highest 1600 time in the country. 

I'm pretty sure Riley's trainer/mentor is Paul Carrozza who my daughter has trained with a few times. He was the founder of RunTex in Austin. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

All eyes on Sophia Gorriaran the #1 recruit. I think it will be Texas or A&M but I guess she could go to an academic school like Penn or Harvard. Think the academic route is unlikely though. 

Texas already has 3 top 10 recruits in the '23 class so Gorriaran would be the 4th. This would be a historic class if Gorriaran commits to Texas and the type class that will win a couple national titles. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I really want to see Gorriaran at Texas so we can see what she gets in NIL. My guess is she would be the highest grossing women's athlete at Texas by a lot. 

She's one of the best athletes I've ever seen and is attractive (which helps). The endorsements she's going to get will be crazy once she's done with college. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/11/2022 at 7:26 PM, Gut Wagon said:

Whoever the next Abby Steiner is, hopefully he snags her.

It's Sophia Gorriaran. She's the U18 world record holder in the 800. She just ran the 1600 for the first time in 2 years and finished with the 6th best time in HS history. She's also near the top in all the sprint events. 

She's an absolute unicorn. She can be an Olympic level athlete in sprints, middle distance, or distance. 

On top of that she's one of the top lacrosse recruits in the country but she decided to just run track in college. Whatever Texas is paying in NIL, I hope it's a lot for her. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's Sophia Gorriaran. She's the U18 world record holder in the 800. She just ran the 1600 for the first time in 2 years and finished with the 6th best time in HS history. She's also near the top in all the sprint events. 

She's an absolute unicorn. She can be an Olympic level athlete in sprints, middle distance, or distance. 

On top of that she's one of the top lacrosse recruits in the country but she decided to just run track in college. Whatever Texas is paying in NIL, I hope it's a lot for her. 

If Coach Flo needs something in NIL, he either has his own patron(s) or he should reach out to us. Where is the Gorriaran chick located? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If Coach Flo needs something in NIL, he either has his own patron(s) or he should reach out to us. Where is the Gorriaran chick located? 

I'm fairly certain Flo has something cooking with NIL.There's no way Alfred and Simon would have returned otherwise because they could be making good money as professional athletes. 

Gorriaran is from Rhode Island but she trains a good bit in Austin. I saw her run at the US trials in Austin a couple years ago as a 16 year old. Everyone knew she was special even as a 16 year old. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The women's indoor team is ranked #1 which is not surprising with Alfred and Simon returning. Plus, Hall turning pro early was a huge loss for Florida. 

Just need to stay healthy now. 

What is your expectation for men's indoor?  They were ranked #13 in the initial poll - should they move up as the season progresses?

1 hour ago, BRLA said:

What is your expectation for men's indoor?  They were ranked #13 in the initial poll - should they move up as the season progresses?

They will finish better than #13 but they're a year or 2 away from being in national title contention. They capitalized on an experienced roster last year winning the indoor national title. 

The women's team is in a similar position this year as the men's team last year. Experienced sprinters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2023 at 10:02 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

All eyes on Sophia Gorriaran the #1 recruit. I think it will be Texas or A&M but I guess she could go to an academic school like Penn or Harvard. Think the academic route is unlikely though. 

Texas already has 3 top 10 recruits in the '23 class so Gorriaran would be the 4th. This would be a historic class if Gorriaran commits to Texas and the type class that will win a couple national titles. 

Gorriaran ended up going the academic route with Harvard. That decision tells me she won’t be in college long. 

1 or 2 years max. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alfred just ran the 2nd fastest NCAA indoor 200m. 

Texas is going to be favored to win the 60m, 200m, and 400m at the indoor championships with a lot more scoring possibilities in sprints. Florida has more depth across the board but hard to see Texas losing because of sprints. 

They might score 50+ in just sprints at the indoor championships. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The Texas women's team finished 2nd at the Big 12 championships but it really doesn't mean much of anything. The conference championships are based on depth whereas the NCAA championships are centered around which 5 or 6 athletes can get you points. Also, I don't think Floreal was pleased with some of the times last year at the Indoor championships. He didn't cross-enter certain athletes in various events that could get Texas points. Looks like Floreal is trying to keep the sprinters fresh. 

The top 2 contenders (Texas and Florida) didn't win their conference meets on the women's side. Although, Arkansas does have an outside shot of winning the Indoor title. 

Parker Valby was injured for the Florida women's team this weekend which would be really significant if she's a no go in a couple weeks. She would score quite a few points for Florida at the Indoor championships. 

• Hook 'Em 2

With the way the NCAA championships are structured and how important sprinters are it's an interesting discussion in regards to NIL allocation. 

Let's say you have $100k in NIL funds. I think you are better off giving all that money to 2 or 3 sprinters than allocating it to a bunch of athletes. Which is what I'm pretty sure Texas did this year in getting Alfred and Simon to return. 

Texas is banking on winning the NCAA championships off sprints. But that's normally what it comes down to (I.e. a couple huge point scorers). See Anna Hall at Florida last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/26/2023 at 9:10 AM, Iguana said:

We also did not participate in the pentathlon. Men or Women.  I noticed that Kristine Blazevica and Leo Neugebauer did compete in some regular events. 

Yes, this is a major problem in college track and field. Especially in distance and at SEC schools. 

Coaches are double and triple entering in events which impacts their pro future. If the rumors of Valby transferring are true I bet it has a lot to do with Florida trying to get the most points out of her instead of trying to maximize her pro future in the 5k. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.ncaa.com/news/trackfield-indoor-women/article/2023-02-14/predicting-2023-di-womens-track-and-field-champion-after-regular-season

Here's a decent breakdown of who will win the national championship. No Valby is obviously a huge loss for Florida. 

One of the biggest differences between the Florida and Texas teams comes in the distance events. Texas doesn't have any distance runners with times that contend near the top. Florida has Parker Valby.

Valby has the third-fastest 3000 meter time this year — and she's only run one individual race all season. Valby is well-rested entering the championship season, so it wouldn't surprise me if she doubled in the 3000 and 5000 meters (she finished second in the outdoor 5K). In fact, I'd be surprised if she didn't double given her potential to score points in both events.

Valby also anchors Florida's ninth-fastest DMR team that will be looking to pick up a handful of points that could determine the title.

I think Valby scores high points individually in both distance races and helps lead Florida to DMR points. She gives Florida a clear advantage over Texas in the distance events.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here are the # of entries on the women's side-Texas 15, Arkansas 11, Oregon 10, Florida 10. Assuming Valby is a scratch, Arkansas might be the biggest challenger now. 

Edit: I just noticed that Wilson is a scratch in the 800 and Gregory is a scratch in the 5k for Arkansas. Goodness, everything is going right for Texas leading up to the Indoor championships. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

https://www.balls.ie/athletics/rhasidat-adeleke-texas-400m-544844

In reference to the above conversation about the Big 12 championships. Adeleke takes a shot at the SEC coaches and rightfully so. This should help in recruiting because most these top runners are focused on their pro career. 

Spoiler

"I know a lot of collegiate coaches, their main objective is the collegiate season and for the athletes to perform on the collegiate level and win championships, win team championships and score as many points as you can, just so they can get some more money in their pockets.

"I know there was a lot of talk about at the SEC championships, how there were some athletes doing four events in the space of two hours to score points for their team. Coach Flo is never someone who would do that. I only ran one event at the Big 12 Championships because he's looking towards me running at the World Championships in Budapest, which isn't even part of the collegiate season."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Here's the entry list on the women's side. The real wild card for Texas is Abba. She's not expected to get Texas any points but she's running faster at every meet and could potentially get to the finals in the 60 or 200. 

I think Florida's only path to victory is they must have Moore win the triple and long jump with Diggs winning the 400. They need all 3 of those results. 

https://rtspt.com/ncaa/d1indoor23/women_declared.htm

On 3/2/2023 at 7:17 PM, Iguana said:

Can the site listing these scratches be correct?

7  Talitha Diggs                 SO Florida                7.14S
 7  Talitha Diggs                 SO Florida                7.14S

She is still listed as being in the 400 and one of possiblities in the 4x400

They scratched Diggs from the 60 and 200. Florida must not think she's capable of cross-entering in those events. 

Texas isn't cross-entering Adeleke or Simon in the 200 either.