Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

Guess this is the Official Quinn Ewers thread... 😋

A92DA121-5FA8-43F6-86B2-2A8D29C81B67.png

Million Dollar Mullet: Quinn Ewers' distinct look is paying off (handsomely)

By  CHRIS HUMMER 5 hours ago

AUSTIN – Quinn Ewers made his Texas Longhorns debut Saturday night against Louisiana-Monroe. Long a subject of fascination, some 95,000 fans were eager to watch the former No. 1 recruit in the country. They wanted to see his generational arm talent. They wanted to see how he’d handle the pressure. They wanted to see the hair.

You know the look. Business in the front, party in the back. A dirty blond mullet that peeks out of Ewers’ helmet. It’s a hairstyle that’s now synonymous with Ewers dating back to high school. Fans have latched on to the styling. In fact, there were a few blond wigs in the stands at Texas Memorial Stadium on Saturday night.

And with No. 1 Alabama coming to town Saturday (Noon ET, FOX), the eyes of the entire college football world will be on Ewers – and his hair.

“That’s a million-dollar mullet,” Opendorse CEO Blake Lawrence told 247Sports.

Ewers is an athlete on the forefront of college football’s name, image and likeness era. He made waves by skipping his senior year of high school at Texas powerhouse Southlake Carroll to enroll early at Ohio State and begin capitalizing on his marketability. He signed an NIL deal for both cash and equity with Holy Kombucha just days after he announced his decision.

The 19-year-old Texan is already approaching multi-millionaire status, if he isn't there already, thanks to his deals with companies like GTSM, Fortnite and Wrangler.

Ewers might not be college football’s most prominent pitch man. That'd be his counterpart Saturday, Alabama's Bryce Young. But thanks to Ewers' oh-so-noticeable look, he might be the most identifiable.

“If I was him, I’d keep it as long as I could,” Texas linebacker DeMarvion Overshown said. “Seeing all those mullet heads people were wearing Saturday was something crazy. I ain’t never seen anything like it before.”

Overshown and Ewers partnered with Wrangler to help the company launch its officially licensed collegiate apparel line. The University of Texas led the way on the multi-school rollout with Ewers featured prominently in its ads.

Ewers grew up wearing Wranglers. A hunting and fishing enthusiast, Ewers reached out to Wrangler about a potential NIL deal before the company was ready to work with him. Ultimately, Wrangler wanted to partner with Ewers in its NIL debut because he grew up a fan of the product. Sure, that resonated with Wrangler. But it’s fair to say the ad, and its accompanying pictures, generated plenty of buzz on social media because of the aesthetics on the jeans and, well, the mullet. That campaign generated 230-million plus impressions, per FWV Public Relations.

"He obviously has an interesting look, said Johnny Meagher, the Senior Director of Marketing for Wrangler. “I wouldn’t say that’s the reason we chose him. But he obviously stands out. The mullet is on trend right now. He’s got a swagger to him.”

The mullet is very much back in 2022. No Achy Breaky Heart is necessary. Those like country star Morgan Wallen have pushed the styling back into the youth consciousness.

As for the origin of Ewers’ mullet, he chose to cut his hair that way in ninth grade while at Southlake Carroll. By the end of his junior year of high school, it felt like half the football team had followed QB1.

“I just kind of want to do my own thing,” Ewers told 247Sports in May of 2021. “I didn’t see a whole lot of mullets when I was a freshman. There’s a lot more now. Mullets are coming back.”

Based on the hair and eager NIL pitches, you’d probably think Ewers is a natural salesman, a rah-rah leader that inspires his teammates with fiery pre-game speeches. There may be some of that in the locker room, but the dichotomy of Ewers is that below the mullet is actually an introvert.

Ewers would tell you as much. Ewers walks around campus with his headphones in and his head down. He’s deleted most of his social media and generally only utilizes it when he needs to post something.

That low-key personality allows Ewers to survive all the attention he receives for being ... Quinn Ewers. So much so that he’s made the spotlight feel normal for his parents.

“We were never taken aback by it,” his dad, Curtis, told 247Sports in 2021. “I’ve never thought of it this way, but maybe it was because Quinn was never freaked out by it. We were reverse feeding off him.”

It remains to be seen if the Longhorns will be able to do the same.

No school garners more attention than Texas. And until it happens, questions of “are they back?” will hang over the program like a shadow you just can’t shake. But someone – eventually – will help Texas make its way back again. And whoever does so will surely benefit from a NIL windfall.

When Opendorse began projecting individual NIL values in 2020, it tabbed Sam Ehlinger, an eventual sixth-round pick, as the fourth-most valuable brand in college football just behind those like Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields. 

The reasons for that were simple: Ehlinger plays the most-high profile position for the highest-grossing athletic department in the country.

Ewers benefits, or perhaps endures, a similar spotlight. If anything the opportunity has only grown. Texas desperately wants to return to the top of the college football landscape, and whoever leads them there will be a superstar.

And if that person happens to have a flowing, blond mullet? That player’s earnings potential seems boundless.

“The mullet alone is worth a million dollars,” Lawrence said. “The position he plays is a million on top of that. And if performance exceeds expectations, you can stack another million on top of that.”

sark just said clavicle sprain going for mri

+++

What is it?
An SC sprain is an injury to the joint where the clavicle (collarbone) meets the sternum (breastbone). These injuries are rare, requiring an accident with a lot of force, such as a tackle in football or rugby. Most SC sprains occur when an athlete is struck on the back or side of the shoulder. Typically, the resulting injury is a sprain, but it is also possible to dislocate the joint. The clavicle can be dislocated forwards or backwards with regards to the sternum. Dislocating the clavicle backwards can be very dangerous, as blood vessels, nerves, the trachea (windpipe), and the esophagus are located behind the clavicle and sternum.

Symptoms
• Shoulder pain • Clavicle or sternal pain • A bump or divot at the site of joint between the clavicle and sternum • More severe symptoms, like difficulty breathing or swallowing, may occur if the clavicle dislocates backwards

Sports Medicine Evaluation & Treatment
Athletes with a suspected SC sprain should be evaluated by a physician. A sports medicine physician will perform a thorough history and physical exam and determine the source of the pain. X-rays may be obtained, but they may not be able to evaluate the full extent of the injury, so further testing like a computed tomography (CT) scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) may be necessary. For an SC sprain, treatment may include icing, inflammation and/or pain control with medications like ibuprofen and acetaminophen, and using a sling or a brace. If a dislocation occurs, treatment and its degree of urgency depends on which direction the clavicle is dislocated. If the clavicle dislocates forward, the physician may opt to try and put it back in place, but more often this injury can be adequately treated with a sling or a brace. For a clavicle dislocated backwards, there is a higher likelihood that surgery will be required. This is especially true in cases where an athlete experiences difficulty breathing, and in this case, should be managed as a true emergency.

Injury Prevention
There is nothing specific an athlete can do to prevent an SC sprain. That being said, all athletes should be well trained and conditioned in order to be best prepared for safety and success in the sport of their choosing. Specifically, athletes participating in contact sports would likely benefit from exercises designed to improve shoulder and chest wall strength.

Return to Play
For an SC sprain, most athletes can return to play when their pain is well controlled, and strength and range of motion is normal in the arm on the affected side. Adequate time to allow the supporting tissues of the SC joint is necessary to prevent long-term complications like pain and instability. The exact time period that this will happen varies from person to person, depending partially on the severity of the sprain. Return to play may be accelerated with a structured rehabilitation program.

• Like 2

An actual fracture, if clean, can be plated and probably put him back on the field in 21-30 days.

I'm going to guess similar here.

ETA:  maybe best case.  As my ortho explained my broken collarbone, if a clean fracture, the bone isn't really the problem so much as the angry soft/connecting tissue surrounding the break and strained/sprained at either end, AC joint outboard and SC joint inboard.

You can fix the bone immediately by plating, or 99% of the time it will heat itself satisfactorily if left alone without plating.  But the pain comes mostly from the soft tissue.  And once the bone is stabilized, or unbroken, where you can do further damage.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet