Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

That poise, as much as anything, is what set VY and Colt apart from the merely good QBs.  Obviously, Vince was a once-in-a-generation leader, but Colt had enough "it" to win the job as a redshirt freshman.  Quinn has the same "it".

No knock against Colt but who did he beat to win the job? Seems like I recall as long as he could fog a mirror he was gonna be the starter. I think we got lucky that he was good.

Also if I recall correctly, on one of his very early passes he hit a receiver in perfect stride on a slant and the receiver housed it. And I remember thinking, ok maybe this guy can play.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, tbone_ said:

No knock against Colt but who did he beat to win the job? Seems like I recall as long as he could fog a mirror he was gonna be the starter. I think we got lucky that he was good.

Also if I recall correctly, on one of his very early passes he hit a receiver in perfect stride on a slant and the receiver housed it. And I remember thinking, ok maybe this guy can play.

Jevan Snead

Limas Sweed

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Jevan Snead was a highly rated 5 start that he beat out. He kind of ended up being a JAG though. 

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That poise, as much as anything, is what set VY and Colt apart from the merely good QBs.  Obviously, Vince was a once-in-a-generation leader, but Colt had enough "it" to win the job as a redshirt freshman.  Quinn has the same "it".

Great leaders don't have to speak often. When others look into their eyes, they know when he has "it". We still talk about VY telling the huddle is was time to "let their nuts hang"...10 years from now we will be talking about what Quinn told the huddle in his NC game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 10/10/2022 at 10:50 AM, UncleBuck said:

Again and again, people continue to display their ignorance of the situation. Quinn's gone after next year, and the mannings do not have an issue with Arch red-shirting.

I mean come the fuck on, did Arch and the Mannings think that Quinn Fucking Ewers, the highest rated QB prospect in over a decade, was going to shit the bed so that Arch could come in and win the job as a true freshman? This is stupid. 

Given the collective QBing experience in that family, they probably actually prefer for him to redshirt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Neither had it at 19 years old after 5 quarters, though. It's pretty unprecedented for him to be the instant leader like he is. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 11:29 AM, Hozz said:

Dan Patrick is one of the greatest sports interviewers of all time but the show and his takes have fallen off a lot in the past couple of years.  I only listen to the weekly Simms hit and occasional CFB stuff.  Can't recall the last time I listened to a full best of even.

Yep. That's because he started trying to hard to have a take that people would talk about. He used to be the best.

1 minute ago, wood said:

Yep. That's because he started trying to hard to have a take that people would talk about. He used to be the best.

If he's going on air asking to where Quinn Ewers is going to transfer, two days after that OU game, he's either trolling hard or he's lost his mind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yep. Exactly what I was telling my kid. That unflappable calm and poise is his greatest asset, just as it was with VY and Colt.

22 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

If Quinn doesn't get hurt against Alabama, it is very likely this team is undefeated, ranked in the Top 5 and QE is a heisman candidate. He completely changes this offense.

He changes the defense, too.  They don't get as worn out constantly trotting out there after repeated one-minute 3-and-out drives.  See: Texas Tech.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. Exactly what I was telling my kid. That unflappable calm and poise is his greatest asset, just as it was with VY and Colt.

Quinn has more than just “it.” He’s from another dimension. We just curb stomped OU into a shutout, and QE is sitting there at the presser picking at his arm like it’s just another day of football. He’s not swinging his dick around like he’s the king of the world. He’s just answering questions and doing what he has to do. I’ve never seen someone have such a chill vibe after accomplishing something this huge. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

He changes the defense, too.  They don't get as worn out constantly trotting out there after repeated one-minute 3-and-out drives.  See: Texas Tech.

Yep. I've mentioned it a lot, but our 2nd half TOP was pretty bad - we had one drive longer than 2.5 minutes (3:49 drive) in the second half.  We went up 31-17 and then: 

Punt (3 plays, 2 yards, 90 seconds)
Punt (3 players, -1 yard, 55 seconds)
Punt (5 players, 17 yards, 2:28)
FG (5 plays, 46 yards, 11 seconds)

Our non-scoring drives (5/7) in the 2nd half lasted a whopping like 7 minutes. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Texasborn91 said:

Jevan Snead was a highly rated 5 start that he beat out. He kind of ended up being a JAG though. 

I don't know that I would call him a JAG... he was pretty good.  Not a world-beater but pretty good and you wonder how he would have been without the concussion issues...

"Snead's 2008 and 2009 seasons rank sixth and eighth, respectively, in Ole Miss's career ranking of single-season passing yards, while his career total of 5,394 ranks sixth all-time."

The high from destroying OU in a once-in-a-generation fashion will take a long time to wear off. A loss against ISU might not even do it for me.
I hate OU. So much.

This. Of course, I hope Texas wins in general, but I can already tell you that’s what I’m going to remember about this season.

26 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I don't know that I would call him a JAG... he was pretty good.  Not a world-beater but pretty good and you wonder how he would have been without the concussion issues...

"Snead's 2008 and 2009 seasons rank sixth and eighth, respectively, in Ole Miss's career ranking of single-season passing yards, while his career total of 5,394 ranks sixth all-time."

Too much of a JAG to beat Kansas State or start against A&M. 

56 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Quinn has more than just “it.” He’s from another dimension. We just curb stomped OU into a shutout, and QE is sitting there at the presser picking at his arm like it’s just another day of football. He’s not swinging his dick around like he’s the king of the world. He’s just answering questions and doing what he has to do. I’ve never seen someone have such a chill vibe after accomplishing something this huge. 

What is messed up is that NFL scouts and GM's will pick it apart and interpret it as he's not competitive or doesn't love the game because too many JaMarcus Russell and Kerry Collins' have happened. 

6 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

What is messed up is that NFL scouts and GM's will pick it apart and interpret it as he's not competitive or doesn't love the game because too many JaMarcus Russell and Kerry Collins' have happened. 

Eh, I'm pretty sure seeing him throwing dimes or even safety uncatchables (by anyone) will counter that.  His one INT the other day was a bad back-foot throw but in general he puts the ball either exactly where it needs to be or only where his guy might catch it, and he still completes nearly 70% of his throws.  He'll be fine, especially if he cleans up the footwork.

9 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Or, you know, you could just see if they could hit the broad side of a barn. How bout that scouts?

Heisman is the MVP

No, Heisman is a popularity contest with recency bias. Not to CR is, but Heisman voting is the equivalent of political wokeness. Someone decides what the "right" choice is and everyone follows along with it. That's how Bush beat VY.

If Stroud has a couple 3TD games while Quinn has a bunch of 5TD games then they'll both be talked about. Then if Stroud loses the last game or has a sub-par game in the Big10 championship and Quinn puts up huge numbers, it could happen. Most voters only know what happened in the last game.

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, I'm pretty sure seeing him throwing dimes or even safety uncatchables (by anyone) will counter that.  His one INT the other day was a bad back-foot throw but in general he puts the ball either exactly where it needs to be or only where his guy might catch it, and he still completes nearly 70% of his throws.  He'll be fine, especially if he cleans up the footwork.

He did have some stinkers.

Near int on second drive. Bad decision and bad pass. Db should have picked that. Shades first int v. La Monroe.

Great pass to Whirling Bijan, but could have been defended or picked if ou db had any sense.

Int duck has been mentioned, but I heard that one slipped, so good decision, poor execution.  I'll give him a pass on that one...and of course, that would have never happened had he hit wide open Jwitt on previous play.

But that's it as far as egregious mistakes.

A batted ball on a screen and a couple of throws to covered screens resulting Inc. or lost yardage and couple of missed downfield opportunities rounds it out in the slightly negative column.

Pretty damn good coming off 4 weeks injury rest. Might see 1st quarter Alabama Ewers this week if trends hold. Once he gets a few more quarters under his belt, he will be unstoppable.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Quinn isn't an accident. His parents saw his potential early and went to find him some professional training. They landed at the same place Mahommes trained at, thus Quinn's interest in Tech. Imagine practicing with one of the best QBs in the NFL. All the arm angles and throws, and you are standing there waiting your turn as an impressionable 14yr old or whatever age he was when he started there. So all the training he received and the mentors he had in his ear has lead to this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

He did have some stinkers.

Near int on second drive. Bad decision and bad pass. Db should have picked that. Shades first int v. La Monroe.

Great pass to Whirling Bijan, but could have been defended or picked if ou db had any sense.

Int duck has been mentioned, but I heard that one slipped, so good decision, poor execution.  I'll give him a pass on that one...and of course, that would have never happened had he hit wide open Jwitt on previous play.

But that's it as far as egregious mistakes.

A batted ball on a screen and a couple of throws to covered screens resulting Inc. or lost yardage and couple of missed downfield opportunities rounds it out in the slightly negative column.

Pretty damn good coming off 4 weeks injury rest. Might see 1st quarter Alabama Ewers this week if trends hold. Once he gets a few more quarters under his belt, he will be unstoppable.

i am generally aligned with this.  i don't agree with whirling bijan play assessment though.  that was a pass that only guys like him can make and it was executed perfectly given what he was offered by the defense.  if ou defends it differently, he makes a different decision (presumably).  he had about a 1 degree margin of error short/long on that and he nailed it.  that's where the massive upgrade on having a guy like that comes from. 

the other egregious mistake you didn't mention imo was the missed wheel to jordan the play before the int.  that should have been the easiest touchdown of the day and the official beginning of the dance on ou's fucking grave moment.  airmailed it which is the only thing you can't do when a dude is wide open.  you can underthrow it all day and it is still a td and he tried to make it too pretty.  only other really frustrating one was the 3rd down on the first drive.  sanders wide open at the first down mark.  worthy was by himself on the flag route and he never looked.  there was pressure but sanders was right there.

beyond that, lots of fun watching him flick 20 yard passes like it was 7 on 7.  props to the oline for some consistently good pass protection.

however, i remain of the opinion that we have played three of the worst four teams in the conference.  the other one comes to town saturday and we see what these guys have mentally coming off the huge win this week...and whether they can handle business.  but then the schedule changes.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Quinn isn't an accident. His parents saw his potential early and went to find him some professional training. They landed at the same place Mahommes trained at, thus Quinn's interest in Tech. Imagine practicing with one of the best QBs in the NFL. All the arm angles and throws, and you are standing there waiting your turn as an impressionable 14yr old or whatever age he was when he started there. So all the training he received and the mentors he had in his ear has lead to this. 

To be fair, that guy is also Sam Ehlinger's trainer. I would be shocked, shocked if Sam didn't act as intermediary at some point. 

Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence seemed equally unflappable both times they won the CFP so I don't think Quinn's going to be hurt by his attitude during the game. Maybe it matters if you're a Kellen Mond.

1 hour ago, Butch Had Not said:

Kerry Collins threw for 41,000 yards in the NFL. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, sidis said:

however, i remain of the opinion that we have played three of the worst four teams in the conference.  the other one comes to town saturday and we see what these guys have mentally coming off the huge win this week...and whether they can handle business.  but then the schedule changes.

This is my concern as well, but ISU has a legit defense and if can put up 35+ points on it, I feel good about our chances against the rest of the schedule. 

45 minutes ago, sidis said:

100%.  But letting QE get back into it against these teams and the defense get into a groove and younger guys get some confidence leading into the harder part of the schedule is okay by me.

Always kind of figured we'd be a team that would get better/stronger and more dangerous as the season went on because of how young we are.  If QE didn't miss 3.75 games, he'd probably be going off for 500 yards and 5 TDs per game at this point.  

• Hook 'Em 4

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet