Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

16 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Its early, but Ewers has thrown an Int in 2 of 3 games. He has a little Favre in him. He makes some throws that he just believes he can fit the ball in, that he should not. That needs to be reigned in a bit.

Simms had a great arm, but lacked the anticipation that Ewers has shown. Most strong arm QBs wait for guys to get open and have the arm strength to get it there, despite being late on the throw. That usually catches up to them at some level of play. It's extremely rare for a young college QB with Ewers' arm talent to already show anticipation. 

Simms' arm was wildly, wildly overrated.  At the combine when they put him on the radar, he was in the bottom third in velocity. Simms threw a pretty ball.  But as a passer he was overrated.  We have three guys on the team right now with stronger arms than Simms.

And I liked Simms a lot.  His work ethic and toughness were wildly, wildly underrated.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Its early, but Ewers has thrown an Int in 2 of 3 games. He has a little Favre in him. He makes some throws that he just believes he can fit the ball in, that he should not. That needs to be reigned in a bit.

Simms had a great arm, but lacked the anticipation that Ewers has shown. Most strong arm QBs wait for guys to get open and have the arm strength to get it there, despite being late on the throw. That usually catches up to them at some level of play. It's extremely rare for a young college QB with Ewers' arm talent to already show anticipation. 

Reined*

And no he shouldn't. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

This is where I am. He showed off amazing talent and poise for such an atmosphere, but after watching the game 3 times there are several throws that range from slightly off target to poor, and that doesn’t include any times when he didn’t see open receivers that weren’t visible on TV. He can definitely get better, which is pretty exciting, but we should be prepared for some hiccups along the way. That’s why I’m so interested in seeing how he plays against ISU, which likely has the best defense we’ll see all year. If he can put up 35+ on them, this is going to be a special season. 

I'm pretty damn sure by the end of the year ISUs' defense won't be as highly touted as Alabama but I get what you are saying. Ewers was in the process of shredding that Alabama D before he got hurt.

Simms' arm was wildly, wildly overrated.  At the combine when they put him on the radar, he was in the bottom third in velocity. Simms threw a pretty ball.  But as a passer he was overrated.  We have three guys on the team right now with stronger arms than Simms.
And I liked Simms a lot.  His work ethic and toughness were wildly, wildly underrated.

He could hit a guy in stride though. Which is more that can be said for a bunch of our dudes before him.

4 hours ago, Eggo said:

Hudson Card ain't making this throw.

image.png.be4512862b52c771b6cd86b85f1a2cc8.png

Of course Card could make that throw.

It would just be returned for 6 points. Seriously though, yeah, he'd look at that and not even attempt it...then probably take a sack for hesitating too long and going to another read.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Reined*

And no he shouldn't. 

Quinn has 2 picks in 8 quarters of play and probably thrown 2-3 others that were interception worthy. Ball security is probably the worst part of his game right now. He is still learning, so that should not be a surprise.

4 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Bobby Burton posed the question the other day in a video, "what QB would you pick to run your offense in college right now besides Quinn" and the only answer was CJ Stroud. Quinn is pretty special.

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

It was what QB in college would you pick as a passer over Quinn

3 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Caleb Williams, cj stroud, Bryce young, that dude from utsa

Those are the runners up to quinn

Based strictly on the UT-UTSA game, I'd take Frank Harris over Hudson Card. But HELL NO I wouldn't take Harris over Quinn.

C.J. Stroud, Bryce Young, & Caleb Williams are the only current CFB QBs who are debatable to trade Quinn for.

Edited by TheMailBox357

More often than not, Ewers' incompletitions seem to be placed where the defender(s) can't get the ball, but his receiver can't, either.  I'll take that.

I think the 2 INTs in 8 quarters thing is a bit of a red herring.  The first INT was him being a young buck and tossing a stupid pass into coverage on his first college series and his second attempt, ever.  I think we can maybe squint and overlook that one, since he hasn't really done it again, against far better competition.  The second one had nothing to do with trying to a fit a ball into a tight space, he was literally trying to get it out of bounds and it slipped out of his hand and quacked its way into a defender's arms.  Again, squint, and then think about the INTs Simms threw (and I was a major (ahem) Simms over Applewhite guy).

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

More often than not, Ewers' incompletitions seem to be placed where the defender(s) can't get the ball, but his receiver can't, either.  I'll take that.

I think the 2 INTs in 8 quarters thing is a bit of a red herring.  The first INT was him being a young buck and tossing a stupid pass into coverage on his first college series and his second attempt, ever.  I think we can maybe squint and overlook that one, since he hasn't really done it again, against far better competition.

Is ou really better competition?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Point taken, but he wasn't throwing into coverage, either.  It was a completely unforced error that may never happen again.

No problem and I agree.  He was just nervous for his first game.  I was just using the opportunity to ask if ou might be worse than ULM. 

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Based strictly on the UT-UTSA game, I'd take Frank Harris over Hudson Card. But HELL NO I wouldn't take Harris over Quinn.

C.J. Stroud, Bryce Young, & Caleb Williams are the only current CFB QBs who are debatable to trade Quinn for.

They quantified it as a passer. That is why Stroud was the only QB over him, also Bryce is hurt. I think Babers said “you can argue Caleb is a better football player, but he isn’t a better passer”

1 hour ago, Bigbend1812 said:

He’s the most talented passer to step foot on the 40.  Let’s move on.  What about that fucking mullet???

He ranks right below this legend in the hair department

John Clayton GIF - John Clayton John Clayton - Discover & Share GIFs

I had to do a double take when this pic pulled up on Google Images. That's former Nevada defensive player Brock Hekking. 

Nevada DE Brock Hekking has a flat-top mullet that would make Brian Bosworth  proud - Sports Illustrated

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hornsome said:

I don’t think I have ever seen a football game where the quarterback didn’t throw a pass that was “interception worthy”  or where the QB didn’t see an open receiver.  My gosh some of you expect nothing but perfection.

Of course Quinn will have a bad game.  Every QB in the pros including the G.O.AT. has had many.   But am I worried about all the  “should have”, “would have”, or “could have” negative outcomes after looking at replays? Hell no.  I’m more excited about our next game and watching him play.

Just now, RabidM said:

This is what Ewers is looking at when he starts his windup on the Sanders TD up the seam.  He has already set his feet and the throwing motion has begun.  The decision to throw this pass was made a little earlier when he set his feet a fraction of a second before this.  Many QB's will wait until Sanders is at least even with the defender before uncorking, but that would allow the safety to help over the top.  Sanders appears to be on the 22 yard line at this point in time. 

Ewers1.thumb.png.ef592d0e7dd6507dc6011a30680ef444.png  

This one throw invalidates everything the nerd guy said. Also, worthy should have had that TD in the end zone. That was a beautiful throw even if another receiver was open. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, RabidM said:

This is what Ewers is looking at when he starts his windup on the Sanders TD up the seam.  He has already set his feet and the throwing motion has begun.  The decision to throw this pass was made a little earlier when he set his feet a fraction of a second before this.  Many QB's will wait until Sanders is at least even with the defender before uncorking, but that would allow the safety to help over the top.  Sanders appears to be on the 22 yard line at this point in time. 

Ewers1.thumb.png.ef592d0e7dd6507dc6011a30680ef444.png  

What an incredible screenshot. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

The throw to JT was a beauty.  He fired it off before JT made his cut.

That said, over all of his snaps, I didn't see that his actual arm talent (velocity, placement, touch, distance) was an obvious standout.  Maybe that's why there wasn't much reported separation between he and Card in the camp setting.

What was obvious was how calm he was in the pocket.  And that helps with slowing down the game, processing the reads, and ultimately driving the team better, particularly in high pressure situation.  So I think there's more upside to be seen if/when he's in more of those scenarios.

• Fuck You 5

15 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

That said, over all of his snaps, I didn't see that his actual arm talent (velocity, placement, touch, distance) was an obvious standout.  Maybe that's why there wasn't much reported separation between he and Card in the camp setting.

What was obvious was how calm he was in the pocket.  And that helps with slowing down the game, processing the reads, and ultimately driving the team better, particularly in high pressure situation.  So I think there's more upside to be seen if/when he's in more of those scenarios.

Just watch the Sander's throw. He shows excellent anticipation. He throws the ball when Sander's is equal to the LB. He drops it in a perfect spot with 3 Sooners around him. That is a NFL throw. The Bijan throw was probably his best throw of the game. Dropped that over a LB in about a 6 inch window. 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I’d agree with you but then we’d both be wrong.

Are you lost? Was this the first game of American football you’ve witnessed?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

That said, over all of his snaps, I didn't see that his actual arm talent (velocity, placement, touch, distance) was an obvious standout.  

You should probably just stop watching football. His placement and touch were fucking amazing. His arm strength is less apparent because of how good he is at only throwing exactly as hard as necessary to get the ball to the receiver in a catchable spot. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Just watch the Sander's throw. He shows excellent anticipation. He throws the ball when Sander's is equal to the LB. He drops it in a perfect spot with 3 Sooners around him. That is a NFL throw. The Bijan throw was probably his best throw of the game. Dropped that over a LB in about a 6 inch window. 

That particular throw was money.  Hudson can make some great throws too. 

I'm talking about the totality of his 67 attempts - or did we just memoryhole easy misses like the slamdunk to whittington? - doesn't show as much separation from Hudson. 

What did, obviously and consistently, was his poise in the pocket.  That aspect of his game vs Hudson is incomparable.

11 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Rein in a freshman gunslinger who is probably going to be the best passing QB Texas has ever had, I didn’t have that on my bingo card fellas. Not gonna lie. Lol 

That is very odd statement. Most freshmen Qbs make mistakes. The job of coach is to rein those in. It is possible to acknowledge the obvious talent and also acknowledge that Quinn is making some freshmen mistakes. I guess the difference is I think Quinn is a very talented QB that is still learning the game (only played 8 quarters, so that should be obvious), but you think he is a finished product. 

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I'm talking about the totality of his 67 attempts - or did we just memoryhole easy misses like the slamdunk to whittington? - doesn't show as much separation from Hudson. 

What did, obviously and consistently, was his poise in the pocket.  That aspect of his game vs Hudson is incomparable.

He showed incredible touch and great velocity on dozen of throws. Just a terrible take.

NSIAP

Edited by LebongJames
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

He showed incredible touch and great velocity on dozen of throws. Just a terrible take.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-president-biden-re-evaluating-relationship-with-saudi-after-opec-decision-2022-10-11/

NSIAP

Yes, Quinn is perfect and infallible, everything he does is perfect, especially his stance and jawboning on foreign commodity market

• Haha 6

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Card never showed that kind of anticipation on a throw in a live game. There is a reason that JT has 3 catches down the seam in 8 quarters with Ewers and had none with Card as a QB. He missed an open Whit. He is going to miss some throws, even Brady and Brees missed throws. He throws a much better deep ball, than Card. Going into the West Virginia game Card was rated the worst deep ball passer in the Big 12. The deep out to Worthy in the Bama game was an NFL throw, that few college Qbs can make. It is a throw that most college defense will not bother to cover, because so few teams will even attempt it at this level.

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Not going to argue about any particular throw or his performance in this game - just thought this was an interesting 'stat'.

Per PFF, Quinn Ewers has 7 'Big Time Throws' in 7 quarters of action (73 drop backs).

PFF defines 'Big Time Throws' as "passes that have excellent location and timing, generally thrown downfield into tighter windows".

For comparison - Hudson Card has 0 BTT's in 123 drop backs this season.

Other well-known/highly-regarded QB's:

CJ Stroud - 10 BTT's in 163 drop backs

Bryce Young - 9 BTT's in 152 drop backs

Hendon Hooker - 8 BTT's in 158 drop backs

Quinn leads the country in BTT% (percentage of throws that are Big Time Throws)

image.thumb.png.ab79a808316402f3ee48b719755d5984.png

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 8

14 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is the magic of this site. Hahahahaha what a quick catch by both posters. 

I was thinking that. Somehow I arguing about how talented a passer Quinn is with @52-80 and @WinningIsHard is giving me shit for saying Quinn still has some shit to work on.

Edited by Codaxx
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Card never showed that kind of anticipation on a throw in a live game. There is a reason that JT has 3 catches down the seam in 8 quarters with Ewers and had none with Card as a QB. He missed an open Whit. He is going to miss some throws, even Brady and Brees missed throws. He throws a much better deep ball, than Card. Going into the West Virginia game Card was rated the worst deep ball passer in the Big 12. The deep out to Worthy in the Bama game was an NFL throw, that few college Qbs can make. It is a throw that most college defense will not bother to cover, because so few teams will even attempt it at this level.

And that is a consequence of the things hes shown to do better: reads, confidence, decision making, etc, which is on the mental side.

He's had more success because of those attributes, not because he's dragging a cannon onto the field. 

How many deep balls has he shown this season?

31 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not going to argue about any particular throw or his performance in this game - just thought this was an interesting 'stat'.

Per PFF, Quinn Ewers has 7 'Big Time Throws' in 7 quarters of action (73 drop backs).

PFF defines 'Big Time Throws' as "passes that have excellent location and timing, generally thrown downfield into tighter windows".

For comparison - Hudson Card has 0 BTT's in 123 drop backs this season.

Other well-known/highly-regarded QB's:

CJ Stroud - 10 BTT's in 163 drop backs

Bryce Young - 9 BTT's in 152 drop backs

Hendon Hooker - 8 BTT's in 158 drop backs

Quinn leads the country in BTT% (percentage of throws that are Big Time Throws)

image.thumb.png.ab79a808316402f3ee48b719755d5984.png

Nah. I just don’t see it. I’m a qb expert. Marginally better than card at throwing.

• Haha 4

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet